American House Dearborn Heights Senior Living - Dearborn Heights, MI

Fantastic Experience and Staff

The staff here is outstanding! Her villa was very, very clean and thoroughly ready for Mom's move in day. While we were moving Mom in, the management and custodial staff took the time and came to her villa and introduced themselves and greeting her warmly. That meant so much to Mom and to all of us.

In the few weeks that she has been a resident, Mom has needed just a little assistance and has found that everyone is so willing to answer and provide, even the smallest of things, for her.

Many friends and family members always ask how she is doing and adjusting. The answer is consistently, "She loves her new place". And she does! My family and I look forward to the great memories we'll make while she is here.

American House Senior Living Communities

Chuck, thanks so much for your 5-star review of our community. We're so glad to hear that your mom is adjusting and is pleased with her new home! We appreciate your feedback.

A little pricey

We liked this community when my loved one lived here. The staff were nice and they took care of the community. The food was good as it was like eating in a restaurant. We had to leave due to the cost of the community. They do charge separately for the different services needed. I would recommend this community if you have the money to afford it.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your review of American House Dearborn Heights. Our rent is comparable to other communities in the area and residents' monthly rent includes meals, activities, outings, social events and the community offers additional services should the need arise. We appreciate your feedback, and we're glad you and your loved one had a positive experience at American House Senior Living Communities.

Other options for care.

I am not happy with the care at this community. The restrooms do not have fans in the restroom. It appears that they do not have air conditioning. It does appear that a few things are missing from his personal belongings. It appears that they do not always have a lot of staff members at times to help with the care of the residents. The menu seems to be appealing. I would suggest that other families tour this community.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage you to contact us to further discuss your experience here at American House Dearborn Heights. We look forward to addressing your concerns.

Pleasant Tour

My tour of this community was a nice one. My tour guide was very informative and kind. The community appeared to be very neat and tidy. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. It was a pleasant experience.

Nursing Home Feel!

My tour of this community went well. The place just was not a good fit for my aunt. It was more like a nursing home, when I walked in, there was a lot of residents jut sitting there in their wheelchairs. They have no activities. I spoke with a lady who had been there 2 years, and she was very happy. Overall good place but just not what we were looking for.

A Good Visit

I really liked this community when visiting. I took my loved on and she was okay with it. We also heard good experiences. We were interested in moving in.

Loved The Community!!

During the tour that my family took they said that the community is really nice. The tour guide was both knowledgeable and friendly. Its kept organized and very clean. They do offer meal plans for families that are looking for that option. The community is also pet friendly. I really like how the community tries to accommodate everyone and meet their needs.

2 Thumbs Up!

We are overall pleased with the positive atmosphere. It is nice to see my mother-in-law happier and starting to try activities. The staff are nice and respond well to feedback for improvement. The community is always kept clean. My mother-in-law enjoys her meals. I like the change in her overall confidence!

everything has been great

So far everything has been great at American House Dearborn Heights Senior Living. It is one best prices of the places we looked at. They seem like they have a lot activities at this facility but my father-in-law hasn't participated as of yet. We are waiting on his wheelchair and then hopefully he can. The staf have been so understanding with them. He has had some accidents and they don't make him feel embarrassed, he really appreciates that. He did say that the food is really bland there but he gets plenty of it. Everything really is going pretty great.

American House Senior Living Communities

We’re so very excited your dad is enjoying our community. It’s a pleasure to offer an enriching home where he feels safe and comfortable. We’re dedicated to offering quality affordable living options for seniors and are happy to hear how much your father is enjoys the activities and care services. Please call me if you ever need anything - and thank you for leaving such a positive review. All the best! Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director

Nice place overall, with room for improvement in a few areas

Overall our experience with American House Dearborn Heights has been a good one, although there are a few areas they could work on. The facility itself is very nice. It's very clean, and has a very bright airy feeling, there are lots of skylights and windows. They offer a lot of great activities and field trips that my loved one enjoys. The staff is friendly for the most part, although I've had some issues with the medical team. My loved one has a few specific care needs and some equipment I had to teach them how to use when she moved in, and my instructions didn't seem to get passed along between shifts. I had to repeat them multiple times to different people over the course of the first few days. My loved one has also had some complaints about the food. Also, the price between the one-bedroom suite and the efficiency was only $100 per month. For the difference in space, I would have expected the efficiency to be lower in price.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for providing your feedback on American House Dearborn Heights. The medical and personal support services that are provided onsite 24/7 by a Medicare certified home health care agency is not affiliated with American House; however, please contact me anytime to discuss your loved ones needs. In addition, if you have any suggestions on how to make your loved ones dining experience more positive, please let me know - we're always happy to take suggestions! Dawn Steckroth, executive director

Nice place overall, with room for improvement in a few areas

Overall our experience with American House Dearborn Heights has been a good one, although there are a few areas they could work on. The facility itself is very nice. It's very clean, and has a very bright airy feeling, there are lots of skylights and windows. The staff is friendly for the most part, although I've had some issues with the medical team. My loved one has a few specific care needs and some equipment I had to teach them how to use when she moved in, and my instructions didn't seem to get passed along between shifts. I had to repeat them multiple times to different people over the course of the first few days. My loved one has also had some complaints about the food.

Dawn Steckroth, executive director

My motherinlaw hasn't been a resident for very long, but feels very at home. The residents ad staff are very friendly, and it's very clean. She enjoys the activities.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your feedback! American House offers independence coupled with assistance residents may need. We combine the best of two worlds - residents can enjoy the privacy of their own apartment or the companionship of restaurant-style dining with friends. And without worries like cooking, housekeeping, transportation and yard work, they're free to socialize, make meaningful connections and explore the things that really matter in life! If there's every anything we can do, please contact me!

Dawn Steckroth, executive director

A Friendly, Comfortable, Safe Place to Live.

The management and staff at American House - Dearborn Heights are friendly, compassionate, and patient. They make the resident experience feel safe and comfortable, physically and mentally.

The 2-bedroom villa apartment is very roomy and close enough to go to the main center for a tasty lunch.

With Dearborn Heights being centrally located, it is easy to arrange transportation to doctor visits, shopping, and church.

I am quite happy my mother chose to move to this American House location.

American House Senior Living Communities

Making sure residents are happy -- and safe -- are our main
priorities! I'm thrilled to hear your mother is happy at the American House Dearborn Heights
community. We find our residents love the amenities offered, and how they are
treated as part of our family. If you or your mother ever need anything,
or just want to say hello, my office is always open!
Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director

Needed a secure facility. They were ...

Needed a secure facility. They were very nice and it was clean but it was not a secure facility for elopement issues.

American House Senior Living Communities

I understand that everyone has different medical needs, and perhaps another one of our American House communities may be a better fit for your loved one. I’d be happy to talk to you about other specific options for you. Please call me direct or stop by my office at your convenience. Thank you!

Not a Great Experience

We are not very impressed with this place. When we first contacted them, we were under the impression that the residents would be able to go to the grocery store or drug store once a week, but they only go once a month. They have a "store" in the community, but all they have is a couple of Pepsi's, some candy bars, and toilet paper. When the residents have no where to go, they should have a better "store". Also, we were informed that some of the maintenence issues in my loved one's apartment have been going on since before they moved in. For the price, and with no utilities included, they should at least be able to fix a toilet or replace a lightbulb before someone moves in.

I thought this would be a supportive environment, with activities, with busses going to the store, and trips and meetings, and people having fun, and that is not how this is turning out to be.

My loved one is happy about the inside of the apartment and being able to have a cat, and the set up is nice. However, they really need an improvement of staff. They need people who have a heart for other people. It would be nice if they had a better staff who were in touch with the needs of the residents.

American House Senior Living Communities

We still offer many outings and trips to the grocery store. Unfortunately due to the harsh winter and road conditions, we scaled back over the last few months for safety concerns. Rest assured, now that the weather has improved, we will continue our regularly scheduled trips. Your loved one also has access to our on-site maintenance staff who will be able to fix any problems with the apartment, including lightbulbs and plumbing issues. If this is not happening or you need help putting in maintenance requests, please let us know right away. We also have a full complement of activities, so please see what we have planned on our monthly calendars (and let us know if you have any suggestions or improvements – maybe we can try something your loved one enjoys doing?). At American House, we pride ourselves on having a heart for others.

Dawn Steckroth
Executive Director

It isnt a bad place. My Aunt has liv...

It isnt a bad place. My Aunt has lived there for a year now and we are constantly getting thing fixed in apartment still. i can understand when you first move in thing happen. And if she had been living there a long time. Her water in the shower still is not working correctly after all this time.
My Aunt went into the hospital and when she came home I talked to the Medical Team staff to get her lunch and dinner for sat. and sun and would see how she was doing on monday. When i called Sunday after noon t check on her she told that she didnt get lunch and waited until 2pm then called. My Aunt was told she called the wrong area and the person hung up on her. SHe never got lunch and didnt think she was getting dinner so she made a cup of soup. After she finished eating they brought her dinner. The next morning I called my Aunt and got no answer. I call the medical team to go and check on her. They called me back and she was gurgling and unresponsive. She was taken to the hospital by EMS. Her blood suger was 40. WHich was caused by not getting the proper food intake on SUnday which when i called the Maedical team I was told SOrry we forgot. How do you forget to feed someone. I still cant understand this. They wil not take the responsiblity of what they had done. My is a dibetic. Which is even more reason she needs to eat. But even if she wasnt how can this happen. Why didnt the person whom she spoke with check into it?

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for leaving your feedback. I’m sorry that your aunt had a medical situation. Our medical support team is very qualified and we’re glad to have them as part of our coordinated care effort here. I’d like to further discuss your aunt’s situation with you — and her. If you could please give me a call personally, or stop in, I would appreciate being able to address your concerns so we can all understand the situation that occurred.

Dawn Steckroth
Executive Director

Affordable, close location,...

Affordable, close location, free standing condo design is good and bad, more independent feel, less secure, potentially long wait for a two bedroom

American House Senior Living Communities

We agree our free-standing condos are more independent — and they are also safe because you know who everyone who is entering your building. Give me a call personally and we can see what we can do to get you living in our community as soon as possible!
[removed]

I like this place very much...

I like this place very much

American House Senior Living Communities

I’m glad you like it – thanks for letting us know!
[removed]

** Very nice place

** Very nice place

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you! If I can answer any questions for you, please give me a call or stop in. Sincerely, Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director [removed]

Talk to the director about Medicaid W...

Talk to the director about Medicaid Waiver on monday. Will accept the waiver. pets are allowed. 3 meals a day, weekly laundry and housekeeping, phone and Comcast extra, month to month, no waiting list for a studio, bring all furnishings, no shared living space, 3 people on waiting list for one bedroom, have wheelchair access able bus for trips out, has beauty shop and physical therapy, 500 dollar deposit to be on waiting list, 2 weeks to make final decision, 30 days notice to move out, 250 for the pet one time fee! 2100 for studio, 2300 for one bedroom, ask the director about chest x-ray and needed medical deposit

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for highlighting so much of what we offer! We have so many fun activities for residents and other amenities, so feel free to call me and we can talk about the additional perks of living here! Sincerely, Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director [removed]

Providing studio apartments in the main building and ranch-style independent living "villas" in the campus beyond, American House Dearborn Heights is ideally situated near family, friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Redford, Livonia, and Westland. We are also in close proximity to the following hospitals Garden City Hospital, St. Mary Mercy Livonia, and Oakwood Hospital. Dearborn Heights Senior Living provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Dearborn Heights has both studio apartments (ground floor) and ranch-style Villas with 1 or 2 bedrooms. The Villas feature private entrances, full kitchens, living rooms, washer/dryers, and porches. Dearborn Heights Senior Living also has a community dining room, a cozy fireplace lounge - and much more.

Resident services include flexible service plan options for the Villas, restaurant-style dining available for breakfast, lunch and dinner - as well as scheduled transportation. An Life Enrichment Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Housekeeping and laundry services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.