Villa Gardens - Pasadena, CA

Good Place for Some Seniors

We moved our father into Villa Gardens two years ago. He has some dementia but no physical limitations. Things went well most of the time. The staff is very friendly, and the interior is lovely. There are many activities of all kinds going on.

I visited my father weekly which was good because there was about a two-month period that his laundry wasn't being done and was overflowing. It took many visits and emails before that was sorted out.

If you visit on weekends, senior staff isn't there, so you must phone and email during the work week. There were many times that I really wanted to talk about an issue or ask questions in person, but couldn't since I could only go on weekends.

The Health Center did not always keep up the quarterly care plan meetings, and I got the clear impression they didn't think them necessary. I called once to confirm an appointment and was told they didn't know one had been scheduled. I rescheduled for 3 days later, but when I went in, the director said she didn't remember we had a meeting.

Many residents move into Villa Gardens before they need assisted living services. The residents who need assistance seem mostly to need only physical. It doesn't seem to be the right place for residents with dementia. It's difficult for them socially, like it is for children with developmental disabilities attending a school along with typical children.

We recently received a call from Resident Services that some residents complained of his behavior in the dining room. They didn't want him to sit with them because he talked too much and was a bit disheveled. Therefore, we asked Resident Services if someone could visit him daily before dinner to make sure he was presentable. We were told that this would raise his monthly rent by over a thousand dollars. His rent was already extremely high--$7100 for a one-bedroom unit with lunches, personal laundry, and medical management. This would have put him well over $8000. It's just not worth it.

We made the decision to move my father to a place more suited to him. We had a very difficult time getting the Health Center to provide clear, up-to-date records in a timely manner which jeopardized the date for the move. I had to keep following up, tracking down misplaced forms, and looking for someone to take charge of finishing things. One of the nurses really helped us but could only do so much alone. Two weeks later, it was finished.

Villa Gardens is a good place for seniors who want to pay a lot for the country club atmosphere and who either don't need assistance, need only physical help, or who need total memory care.

Very nice place, but expensive

Villa Gardens is a very very nice community, we toured it while looking into care options. It is one of the more expensive communities in the area, but definitely I would recommend highly if money is no object!

Not perfect, but very good

It's a very exclusive place, but the staff is wonderful and the amenities are excellent.
Parking is a bit of a hassle.

Cute Building with a Nice Dining Area

They had a separate assisted living and independent living. The assisted living was okay. The independent living was really quiet. It's a cute building and they had a really nice dining area. It was really small. There weren't a lot of seniors in that building. They said they had activities available. Overall I thought that place was okay. It was one of the original ones I took my mom to see.

this seems really nice -- created by...

this seems really nice -- created by teachers and mom was a teacher

I was personally very pleased with Vi...

I was personally very pleased with Villa Gardens. It was very clean, upbeat and had some processes in place for the elderly I.E the computer and their mailbox check method, just to mention a couple. Instinctually I found it very pleasing and could immagine my auntie being happy there. It is also centrally located for family and ease of visitation. I will have to discuss with Mom as to her desire and observations.

Beauty. Art. History. And tradition. These are the hallmarks of Pasadena, one of California’s true gems. In the heart of this dynamic city is a place where you can renew your passion for culture and community every day. Welcome to Villa Gardens – Pasadena’s choice for premier full-service retirement living.you can pursue your true interests.

Located in the heart of Pasadena the community is filled with people who share the city’s love of culture, tradition and Southern California style. Today, Villa Gardens is known as the premier retirement community in Pasadena.