The Woodmark at Sun City - Sun City, AZ

facility was clean, but not alot of activities

Does not take Altec. Like this Memory Care facility and the Amethyst about the best of any I have looked at.

Does not take Altec

poor/bad management

Nice Looking Place Expensive but had to pull my mom out due to the director [Removed] was giving my mom and my moms favorite assistant a real bad time

This place is beautiful!

I took a tour here when looking for a place for my mom and everything about it was nice. The person that took us on the tour was able to answer all of our questions and really seemed to engage with us. Everything looked very clean and nice. Overall, my Mom didn’t move in simply because of the price. Otherwise, this place is amazing.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback; we appreciate your review of our community and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Amazing facility but expensive

This is the most expensive community that I toured. Even though there is a price tag, it is by far the best. The person who admits the residents was far more superior to other places. The décor was a step up as well and had a nicer layout. The person giving us our tour was amazing and I was impressed by her. She addressed all of the staff and residents by their name. We had a bunch of questions and she had an answer for every single one. The only downfall I can think of is the price. My dad isn’t a very mobile guy and wouldn’t be able to make it to the dining hall very much. If he were to have his meals brought to his room every day it would be an extra $5,400 a year. I would recommend this facility to those who are able to afford it.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our community. We appreciate your feedback and we're delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us!

In My Experience on the Tour

I went to see and tour the community for my friends. In my experience they were all courteous and polite. There were incentives for moving in but the choice was up to my friends and they felt this was not the best fit.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your feedback and we're so pleased that you toured our community!

Very Nice Community Good Location

This is a very nice community the campus is a little large but nicely done. They offer different levels of care which is nice. The staff is nice and helpful very friendly. They take their time to explain things and don't rush you on the tour. The inside is very well decorated and clean. The staff takes pride in knowing the name of the residents. They are very attentive to them. The community is in a good location very easy to get to.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your review of our community; we appreciate your feedback!

This is a great fit

I am a Healthcare Professional and my clients have transitioned very well at The Woodmark at Sun City. They are in the Memory Unit and are very involved in all the activities there as well as the monthly field trips. They are pleased with the multiple options in the dining room and enjoy the food. There is also a resident doctor on staff 24/7 who attends to their needs. I have used Woodmark for several of my clients and would highly recommend them.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your experience with The Woodmark at Sun City! We appreciate your confidence in us!

Moving Mom

My wife and I made close to 5-10 visits and numerous phone calls to personalize what we felt were important details to Mom. [Removed] came to our home to do an initial assessment.

On the day of the move [Removed] came to the home to help Mom pack up her clothes, family pictures, etc. Since I am a male and no one else was there to help me, this really helped. We also explained why we were doing this at the time.

I made daily trips for 3 days after the move to help insure we tied up anything about which Mom was concerned. Even though we had just moved the staff knew who I was and was extremely helpful.

Mom likes the food and mentions it daily when we call here. Mom tells us everyone is nice. Mom loves her apartment view. Mom is active; she spent a lot of time sleeping during the day at home. Mom's Sunday card playing with her 3 long-term friends has been successfully accommodated (one of those details).

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate your feedback and we're so pleased that your mom is enjoying her home here with us! Details like Sunday card games make all the difference, and we're happy to help take care of them!

Good tour. Location was great. Tour director knew her property well. This may be a possibility for our married couple.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your review; we appreciate your feedback and are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Seeing The Community

The tour was very informative and friendly. I saw a bigger facility than what I had hoped for. It was clean and a nice facility. However, a lot of the staff would just walk by and not even look at us. A smile would have be kind. I also saw no acknowledgement between the residents and staff. To me it reflects how they would care for the residents.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your visit at The Woodmark did not live up to the expectations we strive for. It’s important to us that we make this right, so we invite you to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone number. Thank you again for your input, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Everything is going okay but he is still adjusting to not being at home. There are a lot of people, residents and staff and it is a little overwhelming. I'm comfortable with the care he's getting but some of the individuals he doesn't like and their personalities clash.They aren't as friendly as they should be. We are all still adjusting and evaluating our expectations. He is participating a little in activities and exercising. The community is very nice and well kept.

A Lucky Find For My Mom

The staff and residents are very nice. You can see someone smiling as you walk down the hall. Luckily we found a good community. The food is good, we have tasted it and thought it was good. The activities are plenty and good. I liked that they are smaller and not so large as other places. It is easier for my mom to move around with her walker. It has been excellent in this community.

Already know the people!

We did not need to go on a tour here because we have friends that stay here. The said that they love it. They seem really happy and satisfied. I like that they have a walk area outside that leads to the dining area. It is a very nice community.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for posting your feedback - we were excited to learn you have had such a positive experience! If there are any additional thoughts or comments you have on ways we could create a five-star experience, please feel free to reach out to our team through our community phone number. We look forward to hearing from you!

Out of this world!

This community is very very beautiful and well maintained. I would love for my loved one to live here. The prices however, are just way to expensive for my budget. The residents have all kinds of things to do. They have a salon and they make sure that the residents nails are done. The community also offers a huge dining area. I would recommend this place to family.

Very nice and looks newly refurbished. Small community with small apartments but bedrooms and baths separated. No washer, dryer or stove in apt. 3 meals daily. Both liked it very much, but Larry still prefers Heritage. I like the area and lots of good trips.

Nice Community!!

The staff at The Woodmark at Sun City are friendly. I have been participating in some of the activities that they offer. It's a clean community. The communication has been good, the staff does a great job. The community has a doctor on site. I am enjoying the meals that they provide.

SLC Midwest

We were so excited to learn you have had such a positive experience at our community! If you have any additional comments or thoughts on what would have made this a five-star experience for you, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team at our community phone number. Thank you for your feedback.

Above and Beyond!!

The tour that i took of this community went wonderful. It was a beautiful place the layout was what we are looking for. Jennifer our tour guide was lovely she offered us a complimentary meal that tasted excellent. The portions of their meals are perfect. They are small and its exactly what we are looking for my mother.

A Lovely Community Just Not The Community For My Parents

This is a lovely community and they did provided my parents with good care. My parents stayed on the memory care floor. I did have my concerns about the food. They would reheat the food in the microwave when it arrived from down stairs, which I didn't think was very appealing. The staff was kind and caring. There are activities offered. They did a good job with their medication management. The community looked great. They do allow small pets. This is a good community, but my dad just wasn't able to adjust to it.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for the opportunity to care for your parents. We wish you the best of luck with your move out of state. Thank you for sharing your concerns about our meals; our dining services staff make every effort to provide a good dining experience for all of our residents. We are confident that our upcoming dining room/service kitchen renovations will help us in our ongoing quest to deliver best in class service to our residents and guests. If you have any additional feedback for us, please feel free to give us a call at our community number and ask for our Executive Director, Rob Kondos. Thank you again!

Good Move For My Dad

My father seems to be doing very well to this community. He is adjusting slowly, but so far everything is working out very well. The Wood Mark Family is wonderful. They are very caring and helpful. It was a hard move, but a place for mom really listened to me and helped me find the right place.

A Pleasant Community

We are very pleased with this community, and my mother in law has adjusted as well as can be expected. The community looks nice and very well-kept. The staff is kind, they have been very helpful and responsive to my concerns. There are many activities offered for her to try. The food is nice and she likes the meals. I would suggest that you move in on a weekday, you'll get more help with moving in. Overall everything is going well and I would recommend it.

Wonderful

Its a great place. The food is great. The staff is so very helpful. Almost too helpful. Very caring and loving and genuine. thank you!

Clean and spacious

The Woodmark is clean and spacious with lots of amenities available. The grounds are also beautiful and well kept. The staff is friendly and caring and the food is even great here. The best part is, it's affordable

Four Stars

My sister submitted a question to them about four or five days ago and we have yet to get an answer from them, so their communication could use some improvement. But overall, it has been an okay experience.

Wonderful place and great value

This facility is well organized and clean and also has great amenities. The staff is friendly and helpful and lend a hand whenever you need it. The food is also great here. This place is wonderful and also a great value.

Just Terrific!

We were looking for a facility to move our 93 year old mother/mother-in-law to in early 2014. Up to that time she was still living in her own home but had started to fall on several different occasions and would sometimes be confused on time of day.
We looked at over a dozen facilities in the Sun City AZ area but we were extremely impressed by The Woodmark. We chose that facility and are extremely pleased with our decision. The Woodmark offers an area of care they call the Monarch unit where folks who might need more attention than in stand alone assisted living can be housed including a heightened level of security, focus on keeping appointments, dressing, bathing, etc. while all the while maintaining the same dignities, benefits and environment of normal assisted living.
The staff have been great, the units and common areas always clean and well maintained, and the cost is still reasonable even when compared to other lower quality options in the area.
If Mom had any relatives in the Phoenix area, we would leave her at The Woodmark indefinitely. Unfortunately, she does not and we will be moving her back East, but this decision has been extremely difficult to make given all that The Woodmark offers and how well it has performed over the last 18 months

Unbelievably Wonderful

Everything that The Woodmark at Sun City has done has just been unbelievably wonderful. It has been a great experience. I have nothing bad to say about them, everything that they do there is just fantastic.

Everything you could possibly want for your loved one at a fair price

I toured Woodmark by myself and then with my Mom. I was very impressed with the services offered and the food. There is plenty to choose from on each menu and it was quite delicious. I plan to move Mom there in the future; right now she is emotionally attached to her present community and her friends there. I really feel Woodmark would be better for her once we finally move her. I recommend Woodmark to anyone that is looking for a place for family or friend. The amenities are great, people are friendly and very helpful! I might consider moving there myself in a few more years!

The staff has been fantastic and cares. Dad has his own apartment and it is kept organized and clean.
I know that he is safe and healthy.

Only allows one pet

Senior Lifestyle

The Woodmark at Sun City takes pride in being a very pet friendly community. Our service dog, Bailey, comes to visit Monday through Friday. Our service mini ponies, Bert and Ernie, also come for weekly visits with our residents. There is never a shortage of smiles when these two visit. Our memory care residents enjoy our bird aviary and our community fish, Spike, gets lots of attention. In the words of Anatole France -“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. “
Rob Kondos
Executive Director
Woodmark at Sun City

Great place

Great place to place for your mom or dad! We rated everything really high. The community is clean. The staff has been friendly to us. There are enough activities. We’re okay with how much we receive for the cost of service.

I really, really liked this...

I really, really liked this place for Mom.

The Woodmark has set a very high bar

Today is the first day for Mom to be a resident of The Woodmark at Sun City. We are fully expecting that Mom's life as a resident will be as great as the past month in our dealings with the staff of The Woodmark. Everyone we met, from the Marketing Director to the dining room staff to the porters and caregivers have just been terrific. Every day they kept out-doing themselves to ensure Mom has the best room, the best group of fellow residents as neighbors, the best opportunities to have many great years as a resident.

We searched out numerous other communities on line and, with the help of A Place for Mom representative Rebecca Pauly, we were able to create a short list which included The Woodmark. We were not disappointed.

impressed

impressed

Nice People

We went to see that place and my aunt liked it. She thought that might be the place for her. She liked the room/apartment. It was about the size of a one bedroom with a bathroom and that's about it in there. Maybe you could fit a couch. I kind of talked her out of it and now I wish I hadn't. They were nice to her there.

The WoodMark at Sun City west

The WoodMark is great. The people are very caring and call my Dad by Name every time..he like that!! It has a very comfortable feel and everyone seems happy.

A little expensive for a short stay

One of the problems that my mother-in-law had was that there was supposed to be housekeeping included but they only cleaned her room when she reminded them to but she never said it was dirty or anything. I do think it was a little expensive. She was only there for a short say to recuperate for 6 weeks and we still had to pay the community fee so for the time she stayed there it made it expensive. I think if she stayed longer it would have been about the same cost as other places around. She really liked pinochle and those kinds of games.

Looks most like Thunderbird, but has ...

Looks most like Thunderbird, but has two levels of memory care. Private pay only. Both levels of memory care are closed environements so she cannot wander off the floor she is on. Laundry would be included, but if she wanted she could still do her own or just on occasion. Long term staff who get to know the resident and her personal needs. One-bedroom or studio style apartments in first level of memory care. Studio in higher level. Had a few openings.

Saw this place on Friday. Very nice.

Saw this place on Friday. Very nice.

The Director showed me around, and wa...

The Director showed me around, and was definitely knowledgeable. Didn't see many people(after lunch an party), was nice and homey. Will go back with mom for lunch next week. was pleased with their memory unit.

Nearly six acres of beautifully landscaped property frames the three-story Assisted Living (102 apartments) and single-story Courtyard for Memory Care (32 suites).

Studios, one-bedroom and two-bedroom/two-bath apartments include kitchens with full-sized refrigerator/freezers, walk-in closets, individual thermostats, smoke detectors, sprinkler system, emergency call system, and large bathrooms with step-in showers. Other amenities include: elegant dining room, coffee shop, activity rooms, gardening room, library with computer, beauty/barber shop, elevators, spa room, fitness room and Wellness Clinic. Nursing staff is available 24 hours a day.

The Courtyard is a secured memory care residence adjacent to The Woodmark Assisted Living. Specialized staff provide additional support and activities for the memory impaired in a smaller, specially designed setting. The Courtyard has a lovely dining room, activity rooms, aviary and a Towne Square with beauty shop, tool shop, laundry, and arts and crafts room. Three secured courtyards provide plenty of room for walking.

Residency Agreements are month-to-month, with rates based on the size of apartment and the amount of assistance required.

City info

Sun City is a warm and beautiful city to live in. It has a low walk score, which means that residents need a car to get around when running errands. This city was designed for seniors, as there are numerous support facilities around. Easily find suitable senior housing facilities and veterans' facilities in the city.

- Walkability score: Sun City has a walkscore of 15, which means that almost all errands require a car. This city is the 19th most walkable city on foot in Henderson. The most walkable neighborhoods include Solera at Anthem, Southfork, Anthem, Seven Hills, Green Valley Ranch, MacDonald Ranch and Green Valley South.

- Average age in the ZIP code: In 2015, the population reached 39,111 people, with a median age of 72.7 years.

- Senior housing facilities in the ZIP code: About 69 different senior housing facilities are located in the ZIP code and in surrounding cities. Some offer memory care services and assisted living services.

- Average weather info: With 3.6 months in the hot season and 3.2 months in the cold season, daily temperatures range from 43 to 106 degrees Fahrenheit.

- Veterans' facilities in the area: A remarkable amount of veteran's faclitis and services can be found in Sun City Center. There are also many other facilities available in the city and in surrounding neighborhoods.

Transportation

Sun City public transit is quite convenient, with discounted rates for senior citizens. Taxis and ride shares are available when public transit is no longer running.

- Buses: Valley Metro offers various bus routes in and around Sun City. Seniors who are 65 years of age and older and who have a driver's license, state ID card or Valley Metro reduced fare ID are entitled to discounted rates.

- Trains: The closest train station is in Phoenix.

- Taxis: The most popular taxi company in Sun City is Sun City Taxi Cab.

- Ride shares: Uber and Lyft both operate in Sun City.

Health and Safety

The crime rate in Sun City is quite low. To cater to senior residents, the city offers several hospitals, medical facilities and specialized medical centers.

- Hospitals in the area: The largest general hospitals in Sun City include Banner Boswell Medical Center, Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, Trillium Specialty Hospital and Boswell Hospital.

- Crime rate in the ZIP code: Sun City is 35 percent safer than all other U.S. cities. Annually, approximately 501 property crimes and 298 violent crimes are reported. The crime rate is approximately 20.31 per 1,000 residents.

Sports and leisure

It's not hard to stay active and fit when in Sun City, thanks to the golf courses, tennis courts and gyms nearby. Many of these recreational facilities are free and open to the public. Gyms offer numerous senior-friendly activities and classes that make it easy to meet other fit senior residents.

- Golf courses nearby: The most popular courses include the Sun City South Golf Course, Willow Creek Golf Course, Sun City Country Club, Sun City North Golf Course, Sun City Lakes West Golf Course and Palmbrook County Club.

- Tennis courts/clubs nearby: Find a court to play on at R.H. Johnson Campus Tennis Courts, Tennis Cabana and R.H. Johnson Recreation Center.

- Gyms nearby “ senior friendly (aerobics): Numerous gyms in Sun City offer an array of senior-friendly activities and classes. Popular options include Sun City - Body & Brain Yoga·Tai Chi, LA Fitness and Lotus Club Fight & Fitness.

Shopping and entertainment

Sun City is filled with quite a few shopping centers, grocery stores, restaurants, movie theaters and libraries, plus attractions to suit outdoor enthusiasts. Gamblers also have a lot of fun in the city, thanks to the Desert Diamond Casino.

- Clothes Shopping nearby: Shopping centers in Sun City carry fashionable clothing year round. Popular shopping centers include the Thunderbird Plaza Shopping Center, La Ronde Shopping Center, Bell Camino, Neighborhood Shopping Centers and Sun City Promenade.

- Grocery stores: Grab fresh groceries and produce at Safeway, Fry's Food and Drugs and Bashas'. Many of these grocery stores offer organic foods for health-conscious residents.

- Restaurants: Enjoy a delicious Italian meal with wine at Dominic's Bistro Italiano. Little Bite of Italy offers live music, and Chang Lee Restaurant offers some of the best Chinese cuisine in the city. Nino's Mexican Food Restaurant serves superb Mexican dishes that have residents returning time and time again.

- Movie theaters: Catch newly released Hollywood movies at movie theaters in surrounding cities. Popular options include Harkins Park West and Theatre Works.

- Libraries: Borrow books, movies and a variety of items from Sun City Library, Fairway Library and R.H. Johnson Library.

- Attractions: Gamble and have some fun at the Desert Diamond Casino. Gateway Park and Bill Gentry Park are both popular options for outdoors enthusiasts.

Religious facilities

Easily find a prayer group or a house of worship in Sun City. Popular churches and synagogues include:

- The Church Of The Nazarene