Mom is settling in

My mom is here in the memory care and it is a very clean place. They are well staffed. They keep her busy with daily activities. And they also go for daily walks. They have an app that they will send me daily updates and pictures and that makes me feel at ease. The dining area is nice and the food is pretty good they have a standard menu and then a flex menu to choose from if she didn't want what was served. Housekeeping does a good job at keeping it clean and they will do her laundry also. It is a locked facility but has 5 courtyard areas that are nice. And the grounds are kept up nicely. I would recommend this community.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your review and recommendation of our community are greatly appreciated!

Avoid!

Do not place your loved one here!!!! The management staff has a very rapid turnover. The staff that is in place now all seem very nice and concerned about their residents but don’t let that fool you. They do not care in the least. There are a few caregivers that have been there for a long time that are very sweet and caring but they do not make up for the unethical management staff.
Our mother has been in the Memory Care here for over 5 years. Their advertising states “Alzheimer’s specialists work hand-in-hand with families, loved ones, and the Inn at the Amethyst staff to ensure that residents receive the comprehensive treatment they need. Memory care is different from the care provided in assisted living, requiring a team that is professionally trained in memory care.” I always wondered what kind of training the staff receives in dementia. Talking loudly to residents who are not deaf but have dementia (!) does not help. The staff treats the residents like they are either stupid or deaf….it’s shocking and unbelievable to me. I do not think they get very little, if ANY , training on Alzheimer’s. To state that they have a team that is professionally trained is ludicrous.
There are many ongoing issues with this facility mainly the understaffing. There have been days when there was only ONE caregiver to take care of all the memory care residents. When you then wonder why your loved one keeps getting bedsores, it is probably because there is not enough staff to change them every 2 hours (as is there policy) and they are sitting in urine soaked diapers for 8 or more hours! That is called neglect! Sometimes an hour goes by before I see any one around. There is very little supervision of the residents. I could go on and on and on especially about the food. It has improved but either is served cold or scalding hot. Where is ALL that training regarding dementia patients?? Would you like your parent to be given scalding hot soup when they have Alzheimer’s and don’t realize what is hot or cold?? Very thoughtless, careless and downright dangerous. We have moved my mom out to a place where there are more staff and more care. The bottom line is: Do not let the first impression fool you……this facility is not one I would recommend to anyone, even my worst enemy.[removed] AVOID THIS PLACE!

SLC Midwest

We were disappointed to learn about your experience at the Inn at Amethyst. Our first priority is the safety and care of our residents, and we would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the experiences you described. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our Executive Director, Shari, at our community phone line if you have any additional concerns or input. Thank you for your time, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Make Sure All Your Bases Are Covered

Our time with The Inn at Amethyst was a good time I loved it. The people here was really great and very helpful to my mother and her needs. They are friendly to the residents and very kind so that was nice to see. My mother had to go to memory care and the only problem I had with that is around that time the community ended up losing their head director and head nurse so it was a transitional period after that just with the community getting a new director and head nurse. I would say to any one think about senior care to make sure all your bases are covered and to make sure you got all your insurance in place just in case anything happens you don't wanna be caught in unexpected situation.

Very Happy With The Facility

I think that every individual is different and for my mother-in-law, she has had a harder time interacting based on her condition and she is further away from the community facility. I think they are good people and they're patient and she is trying to get acclimated. I am very happy with it.

Mom's change of environment is working slowly.

The Amethyst has a lot of qualified people handling each person's case from the very beginning and throughout my mother's stay. There was a lot of paperwork and running around to collect the necessary documents and personal information, but it only contributed to a thorough and conclusive plan of care. Each question has been answered was followed up, although not always timely. When concerns were addressed with laundry turn-around and food temperature, the outcome was very satisfactory. All the staff address the residents with respect and care and ask quite often to help the resident. The Inn at the Amethyst has the feel of a family hotel with lovely ground areas, fountain, and a secure environment. The dining room is clean, the large living room is comfy, and the activities vary. Although mom was not brought in of her own accord, she is slowly acclimating herself after 6 weeks, has a friend, laughs occasionally, and is asking for more of her things to be brought in to her room. Just what I was hoping for!

my aunt is very happy there

I live a few states away so have not been able to monitor things too closely, but overall I have been very impressed. The initial process of getting us all set up went very smoothly. My aunt seems very happy there. The care has been really good. She tells me that they are very helpful and very nice. The facility itself is also very nice and quite pleasant.

One area where they could improve would be the food.

Very nice

Was very nice – it’s lot larger than the one we chose for our loved one. It’s multiple stories. If you’re looking for a single story facility that’s more friendly and family orient – this might not be it. This one is more corporate oriented.

We like them

Check out a lot of different places. We really like the Amethyst, but it feels like you’re not the one in charge of your loved one, they are. The food is good at some of the campuses. There is a patio for those in the memory care to use, even though it’s on lock down. We have white shirts that are pink now. My loved one’s clothes are always clean though.

Moving mom

The amethyst is a wonderful facility the grounds are clean and inviting my family member is very satisfied moving there amazing considering how big a change it is going to an assisted living setting

Garden at Amethyst

This is actually for the Garden at Amethyst, as they have different sections for different levels of care. They are clean and friendly. The food is good, I would say a five. They do most things well, their activities director is very good, and very hands on.

Mom Collette and I were her...

Mom Collette and I were here on monday feb. 24. Mom liked this place very much. It is $500 more than Emeritus. A little up scale i thought.

Staff Cutbacks

My husband's mother lives at the Inn at Amethyst. In the last couple of years they just keep cutting back on staff. She's there with Alzheimer's. She doesn't really know what is going on or recognize anyone and the care she's gotten there is fine. It's just that they don't have as many caregivers as they used to.

Friendly Staff

My wife has been living there for 2 weeks now. Overall it's been pretty good so far. I haven't had any problems. The staff is really friendly. She really likes them which helps - she's adjusting well. I don't think the food is the best in the world, but my wife's not much of an eater anyway. She's starting to participate in the activities. They have bible study and excercise classes everyday.

A couple of reasons why I chose the Inn

A couple of reasons why I chose the Inn is it is very close to me and once there my loved one will not have to transfer to a new facility for a different level of care. That was very important to me. At times I would like to see a little bit more involvement from the staff with residents. The staff is hardworking and cannot make residents do what they don't want to do but I think they could reach out to residents more frequently. Every residents' needs are assessed so if they are immobile the staff will get them for meals. However, for those who are not immobile the staff is not as involved with those residents, who may also need to be reminded or invited to join activities.

Senior Lifestyle

As the Executive Director I would like to thank you for your comments regarding The Inn and the trust you have with us providing the needed care to your loved one. All of us at The Amethyst campus are committed to providing quality care to each and every one of our residents. As the new Executive Director it is a goal of mine to ensure that our residents are consistently actively engaged in the programs throughout the community. . I would like to invite you to meet with me and discuss any ideas you may have that will help us improve in this area. Once again, thank you for your insightful comments. My email address is [removed]

Beautiful place. Mother liked it at f...

Beautiful place. Mother liked it at first but then did not like idea of having to move. Need to keep working on this idea.

This may be the best option for my fa...

This may be the best option for my father if he were to go alone due the higher level of care.

Amethyst Gardens was the best fit out...

Amethyst Gardens was the best fit out of all three. We really liked all it had to offer for him who is independent and her whom will need a little assistance and help with meds .

Situated in the heart of Peoria, on the beautifully landscaped Amethyst campus, Inn at the Amethyst Assisted Living and Memory Care Community offers the lifestyle that’s just right for you. With proximity to the Arrowhead Town Center and the Challenger Space Center, this serene community is an ideal place to call home. Featuring Assisted Living and In Touch® Memory Care, Inn at the Amethyst provides a nurturing environment designed to support and enrich your lifestyle, now and in the future.

Everything You Need to Feel at Home