The Oaks at Post Road - Cumming, GA

Very nice place, and the manager, Mr. Ashley was so helpful and explained the difference in "personal care" and age in place" home. This was the first senior living community I toured, and I found him very helpful. I liked the easy feel of the facility, and the residents seem very happy to be here. I'm not sure if my dad will make this his home, but I hope he will, since it's so close to my home.

Review of The Oaks At Post Road Cumming, GA

Caring, friendly staff. My Mom is a resident at Oaks at Post Road and I am very happy she lives at a great community.

Dedicated, caring staff.

The facility is homey and beautiful. The staff is always friendly, positive and genuine to their residents.
I would highly recommend Oaks at Post Road to my family and friends.

Little to much!

This place is absolutely gorgeous. It also is very close to us so that we would be near my in laws. The people were very nice to us and they were helpful. There really was only one complaint and that was the price.

My Visit To The Community

We loved this community it was clean and the people we met were nice. They seem to offer plenty of daily activities. They offer dental and podiatrist services. This community was just a little out of our price range.

Friend's New Home

After reviewing several Assisted Living Facilities, I picked The Oaks at Post Road due to several factors. Staff are all very caring and attentive to the residents. Food is of restaurant quality. Activities are planned so everyone can share in some way regardless of their status. This is a place for my best friend and I wanted a facility that was also close to me so I can see her twice a week. Best of all, she loves her new home, the staff and the residents.

I just moved my 93 year old father into The Oaks at Post Road. We are very pleased with the Staff , Care etc. He is very happy there.

Awesome facility

I was worried about leaving my husband for the first time since his stroke to go on a trip BUT the caregivers at the Oaks at Post Rd were extremely good to him. He raved about how nice everyone was. While I was gone on my trip, some family members visited him there and they all commented about how impressed they were with the facility and the staff. I can't say enough good things about this Assisted Living. All of my fears are gone and I know I now have a place for respite care for my husband.

Safe, caring, clean place for Mom to live and me not worry

My Mom has Lewy Body Dementia and The Oaks at Post Road does a great job with her needs. The staff is so compassionate and caring, it makes her feel at home, I moved her from New York (where she lived for 80 years) to Georgia and the Chef, [Removed] has accommodated her northern eating needs - thanks [Removed].

Her room is cleaned weekly and they dispense her medicine and the activities director, Michelle is young and full of energy and takes them out to eat and for rides and takes care of their individual needs and makes sure they exercise and laugh. My Mom loves music and they music a lot which she attends.

I would highly recommend The Oaks at Post Road.

Great Place for care

This is the 3rd senior living facility that my mom as been in and is by far the best. The staff is very friendly and quick to come whenever she needs assistance. Also, there is always something going on for her to do.

Overall I have had a good experience with The Oaks!!

We did have a few bumps in the road in the beginning but since then things are going good. The staff are doing what we asked them to do. My dad's room and the community are kept clean. I feel safe with him there being monitored. The food is good and they help watch his diet. The staff are super nice and work with him. The activities director has become a good friend.

Not too good

My aunt was here for awhile in memory care. It was not a good place for her. There really wasn't enough activities in memory care. Seemed to sit around mostly. We ended up moving her elsewhere. She seems much happier now, which makes us much happier. I can't really provide information on the other section of the Oaks as we only were involved only in memory care.

They Go Above and Beyond

This place has nothing but angels, they have been by our side the whole time. My aunt is close to passing and they have bent over backwards for her and my family and have gone way beyond what they are suppose to do and I have nothing but good things to say about the place. The people are so compassionate and experienced.

They listen to the individual needs

At The Oak at Post Road they do a good job. The staff make it a smooth transition. They listen to the individual needs of the residents. At this time I don't really have anything I would say needs improving. They have a tough job and they do really good at it.

family oriented

The Oaks at Post Road is very family oriented. You really feel like part of the family from the moment you arrive. If there is any concern the staff is always quick to help us out. It is just so lovely here. Dad loves it and we just cannot say enough good things about it here. We are extremely pleased.

Nice place, overall

Our experience with The Oaks at Post Road has only been a brief one so far, but so far things have gone well. I'd give them high marks across the board, the facility itself is clean and well kept and the people are friendly. I do think they could use a few additional people on staff, but overall it is a very nice place.

Adjustment

Staff is helpful and caring. Setting is homelike with many sitting areas both inside and out. Activities offered daily. Independent father doesn't find much for his interests unfortunately as he is a bit of an intellect and is still with it. Bingo , flower arranging, chair yoga and taking care of the aviary just aren't his thing. There are other choices not mentioned. Food alternatives are offered my vegetarian father as they flex to meet his dietary needs. Food is ok but could be more nutritious. Great weekly musical entertainment! Nice 2 bdrm for mom and dad. Staff has worked hard to meet moms needs re Incontinuance, gastro problems, and some dementia. Her adjustment has been hard, talk of moving her to memory care during adjustment has caused anxiety. They do have memory care where she will transition eventually. Christian home in nice location. Grateful.

Very nice looking place!

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this was a very nice place! The staff were friendly, and the residents all looked well cared for! It is a great community, and is worth the price. They have different stages of memory care to help all levels of residents.

Costs and style not a good fit for my Dad

We had to move my Dad from Florida to assisted living here in Georgia at very short notice as he went from living on his own to having severe physical issues and wheelchair bound in a matter of weeks. It was all new to us and went through "A Place for Mom" and Donna Sharpe was fantastic...she walked me through a lot of info, spent lots of time on the phone with my wife and myself and set my wife up with a bunch of tours while I tended to my Dad. My wife narrowed it to 3 places (touring close to a dozen) and when I got back, I toured them, one of those three being the Oaks at Post Road.

I had put together a spreadsheet with questions to ask each and the staff at the Oaks did sit down with me and review after the tour. There were a few questions they didn't have the answers to which were ones that I would expect them to know. We ended up choosing the Villas at Canterfield over the Oaks at Post road after reviewing all of the data, some listed below.

After going through the reception area, The Oaks at Post Road has a beautiful great room with fireplace with the dining area and a kitchen right off of it. That made it feel homey with a hint of a mountain vacation home feel which was really nice. They have some gardens and a nice area to sit outside, but the weather wasn't very cooperative when I was touring so didn't really get to enjoy it.

In touring, I found that although it was only 5 years old, it appeared much older. The hallways reminded me of a dorm of an college...just seemed very drab. With the layout, it felt more like a medical facility or nursing home rather than a more permanent home for a loved one. The studio rooms were much smaller than similar facilities (308 Sqft verses 350 Sqft of other place we chose) They had a nice "living room" common area with couches, comfy chairs with a large TV, but that is where they show movies. I would think that it could get crowded there with not enough seating and poor viewing angles. The other place which we chose has a large "movie room" with rows of seating and a large projection screen. The Oaks has a PT room, but no option for anyone not taking PT through a doctor's care. Other places had at least a treadmill that could be used by all residents or could go use the PT room with low out of pocket costs just to get exercise.

There were a few things that struck me when looking at the costs...their price was in line with others we narrowed it down to (slightly higher but similar) but there were many other costs that added up. Although it was listed as laundry being included, that was only towels and sheets and personal laundry is $55/month where the other place is included. Cable TV is $45/month where it is $20 at the place we chose ($10 more for DVR which is still cheaper than the Oaks). Phone is $55/month at the Oaks where it is $20 at the other place. The Oaks has a place for a small Fridge and Microwave but do not provide these and had no cabinets or counter space to store snacks, food, plates or silverware where the other place provides a true kitchenette with microwave, fridge, sink and cabinets. And most important, the medication service is not included if on a higher level of care and is $260/month in addition to the higher level of care costs. (or $260 with no level of additional care) where the other place was included in all levels of additional care and $150 with no level of additional care. When looking for assisted living, make sure you ask all the questions....many places seem cheaper or similar costs when looking at the room price but the other costs drive it up.

I can't really comment about care services although in talking to people and watching, everyone seemed well cared for.

After evaluating against several other facilities, The Oaks at Post road just wasn't a good fit for my Dad and not a place he would be able to call home.

made mom feel welcome

They have just really done a good job making mom feel welcome and at home.

The only thing I would say that probably needs to be improved is their sign-in/sign-out system.

Other than that it is a great place and we would certainly recommend The Oaks at Post Road.

Review of The Oaks at Post Road Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Cumming, GA

I visited on Thursday, Sept 18th and was impressed with the community. The 1 BR apartment was very small though.

It's good, it's not the best in the world, but they are good.

It's good, it's not the best in the world, but they are good. Some of the newer places have much more amenities, for the same price range. I think they have enough stuff going on, but she isn't able to attend many of them. The food is just average cafeteria food, and sometimes it's okay. I thought they would be a little more helpful with getting her around and to doctors visits, but that hasn't really been the case. They don't have little kitchenette areas. The other thing she had to adjust to no bathtub. She liked the surroundings and felt at home there, it's bright and airy and nicely decorated, and very well kept, and clean, and that's why we picked it.

Nice Facility

The Oaks at Post Road took excellent care of my mom, right up until she passed away. The Staff and caregivers were amazing. They were always there attending to her every need. My only regret is that I didn't place my Mom at The Oaks in the beginning. She was at another facility (Gracemont Assisted Living ), her quality of health went rapidly downhill while at Gracemont, but once she moved to The Oaks she bounced back with the care and love that she received while she resided there. They were such a blessing to her and our family. I would highly reccommend them to anyone. I couldn't have asked for any better care for my mom.

From the Darkness to the Bright Sunshine

Moved my Mom from Gracemont Assisted Living where the year and 6 months she lived there was a nightmare. I cannot begin to express what a blessing the Oaks has been for her and my family. The care is 100% better, the staff is very friendly, caring and responsive when you need to talk with them. The facility itself is really nice. Thank you goes out to The Oaks.

Amazing Staff and Communication

The activities don't really apply. My mom is in the memory unit so she doesn't do a lot of activities. I know that they have tons and she does some of them but she can't really tell me how they are.

The staff at The Oaks are so responsive. They are extremely good with communication. If we have a concern and we call them they immediately call back. If we ask for something they address it. I couldn't ask for better communication from them.

Trying to find a place was a very difficult decision but when we walked in the door of The Oaks we knew it was the right place. Everybody is smiling. Even my mother-in-law said everybody's really nice, they much pay them well! I don't know how much they pay them but they're great. We're very pleased and we hope it continues that way. They keep her engaged, they move her from place to place, talk with her, every 30 minutes they check on her and every two hours they take her to the bathroom. When you walk into The Oaks it feels like you're walking into someone's home. It's a great place.

Not Good For Memory Care

There they actually divide the building into two sections. One with the regular propel who are mobile and the other is the memory care. He was on the memory care side and it was pretty much like a prison. They would let everybody just sit in their room all day long. That was very unsatisfactory. They didn't do anything with them.

Nice, but not great for us

It was okay, it was more expensive than Gracemont.
It was nice and I liked it, we met with the activities director guy. Nothing was really wrong with it, it wasn't as convinient to where we live.

Great Place

The location of The Oaks was very good for our family only a few minutes away. Everything has been going superbly here. The residents seem to have a lot in common with our loved one and they seem to be on the same cognitive ability level which makes it very comfortable for them here. There is lots of exterior nice places with chairs, ceiling fans and very well maintained garden where you can just sit and relax. They have a front porch that has a few rocking chair and cushioned chairs depending on what you like. They have field trips every couple of weeks so it allows the residents to get out and about. The staff has been very supportive and has made it easy for our loved one to ask for things. They take the time to get to know the residents by name rather then just room number. We are very happy with them and would recommend them.

Cost for memory care $4,300...

Cost for memory care $4,300. great activities, pleasant atmosphere, doesn't smell like old people

BEAUTIFUL Facility and Great staff.

BEAUTIFUL Facility and Great staff.

Beautiful surroundings. Love the Mem...

Beautiful surroundings. Love the Memory Care unit. A little far from Dahlonega for us.

One of my top choices

One of my top choices

Very nice, relatively new. Kind of e...

Very nice, relatively new. Kind of expensive. They start with a base rate and then keep adding for services so it ends up being rather expensive. Odor in the extreme dementia area; not enough one on one care? Starts at $2625 for a studio then add $300-$750 per month for help with meds, dressing, etc. Several of these things that we'd need.

Nice facility with plenty of outdoor ...

Nice facility with plenty of outdoor sitting areas. Good Activity planning. Nice.

Beautiful but too far.

Beautiful but too far.

Oaks Senior Living was established in 1997 with the vision of providing affordable Senior Housing with a focus on providing care in an environment that fosters personal affection and individual attention with understanding and compassion. Driven by a desire to serve the changing needs of seniors, it is our aim to make every resident feel glad that they chose The Oaks as their new home. To reach this goal, our family commitment is to maintain a “hands on” approach to leadership within our organization. Our company endorses an open door policy with our staff, residents, resident family members, and those companies and organizations serving our assisted living communities. We also endeavor to offer support to those entities that raise funds, research, and lift awareness to all issues pertaining to the aging process. Our family pledge to remain true to our vision has created a valued organization earning a high level of respect from our peers and industry partners. Oaks Senior Living boasts an excellent reputation for conducting our business activities with integrity, fairness, and in accordance with the highest ethical standards. Our company strives to be knowledgeable of current advancements in aging services and uses an innovative approach to senior care.

We strongly believe that the customers we serve deserve special employees filled with compassionate care giving qualities along with professional skills. Our success is built by creative, productive employees who “think outside the box” and we empower our staff to make knowledgeable decisions that provide the best resident outcomes. We have proudly achieved remarkably low employee turnover rates compared to industry standards. We are committed to high principles of individual treatment and respect for all employees in an environment that celebrates success. I believe that my personal open door policy to all employees within my organization and our company’s emphasis on training and development is vital to this achievement. The trickle-down effect has created a company culture that makes us one of the most desirable employment opportunities in our region.

Our mission statement is one that we do not take lightly…Whether we are make a hiring decision, a financial choice, or a decision affecting the future of one of our residents. We always state-“…come visit The Oaks and experience what true family ownership and management of an Assisted Living community means.” With Oaks Senior Living, the experience never changes. Why? Because as our mission states, “We are committed to serving with faith, knowledge, compassion and love”.

Sincerely,