poor customer service

I was researching independent living facilities for my elderly father. One of them was the [Removed] as it was positively rated on various sites. Unfortunately, my experience was just the opposite. It definitely left a bad after taste.

It started out typically enough. Upon calling in, I was connected with their marketing guy, [Removed]. Initially, he seemed eager to help (without being too cynical, I assume partly because he is on commission). In the first phone conversation, he provided some introductory remarks, gave his marketing spiel, described the facility, the services offered, etc., etc. And as would be expected, after the initial conversation and reviewing the information he gave, questions popped up which I proceeded to ask via email. We traded emails a couple of times including discussing a possible visit, and then, incommunicado - no response. I followed up with phone calls and left messages. Still no response. Given that jobs of this ilk have high turnover rates, I thought it's possible that he may have left for greener pastures.

So, I called and asked to speak with the general manager. I was connected to one "[Removed]" (if memory serves) and left a voice mail. That was about 1 1/2 weeks ago. To this date, have not heard back.

If this is the way they treat potential customers, I wonder how they would treat them once they become customers?

The food is the Best!

I would say my father-in-law is very happy at The Merion he is starting to socialize and likes joining in the activities that they offer to the residents. In fact, he is on an architectural "cruise" field trip today.
The staff at The Merion are pleasant, friendly and caring, the place is clean and my father-in-law likes his room. It is a bit small but he is adjusting.
The dining and food here are the BEST, my wife and I enjoy eating here as well when we come to visit.
They do take the residents to doctor appointments, grocery stores and other types of shopping.
I would certainly recommend the Merion to my friends and family. In fact, I would go there myself.

Vicki Botefuhr

Thank you for taking the time to share your family’s experience at The Merion. It sounds like your father-in-law is settling in well. I know the first few months can be challenging, but I’m glad to hear he’s taking advantage of the variety of activities and social opportunities we have on and off campus. I hope you’ll stop by next time you’re visiting, and if you have any questions for us, just let me know.

General Manager, The Merion

Welcoming staff

My mother-in-law is a resident here. She loves the food, the building and she's made a few friends. We were there last week, they offer rooms you can rent like a hotel. We got the whole experience.The staff is very attentive to the residents and knows them all by name. My mother-in-law enjoys this very much.

Vicki Botefuhr

Thanks for visiting us last week, and it’s wonderful your mother-in-law has settled in so well at The Merion. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us as well, and we look forward to having you back soon!

General Manager, The Merion

Glad we found it

Very well run and well built facility. Food is excellent and fairly priced. Facilities are clean and very well maintained. Suites are like a luxury-near hotel. Staff is attentive and friendly and well dressed. Location is outstanding with downtown Evanston right out the front door.

Not everyone can afford it - but it is very reasonably priced for what you get.

Only downside is the limit on ability to escalate care to/thru end of life.

Vicki Botefuhr

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! It’s nice to hear the positive impression of our community reflects the dedication and professionalism our staff puts in each day. In terms of ongoing care, residents have access to a variety of options, including a wide range of services from our on-site Wellness Center and, if needed, in-home care. We’ve also partnered with Symphony of Evanston to provide residents with rehabilitation services just minutes from their homes at The Merion. If you’d like more information on any of these services, or have additional questions about health and wellness options at The Merion, please just let me know.

Property Manager, The Merion

Very Nice Community

This is a really beautiful community. Everything looked amazing, I was very impressed. The community looks like a fancy hotel. Everyone was very kind and friendly. There are many resources available for the residents. Their rates were a little expensive for my budget. This is a really nice community.

A Comfortable Home!!

My loved one is doing good in the community there are no complaints. The meals are nutritious and have good taste to them. The housekeeping is doing well maintaining everything up-kept. Staff have great communication and are friendly. Activities are also offered to the residents.

This is my 9th year at the Merion( North Shore) superb location elegant appointments, outstanding administration staff – Excellent maintenance & service – Daily maid service, good food –Excellent musical programs.

Close to family, fantastic location in the heart of Evanston, Northwestern University adult education classes, brand new salt water swimming pool with handicap access, lots of dining venues with flexibility... and so much more.

It's a lovely place, and the people have been very nice.

It's fine, so far. It's a lovely place, and the people have been very nice. She is happy with the food, and with the location and the amenities. So far they are doing a pretty good job.

Review of The Merion Independent Living in Evanston, IL

Food not included. add 600 a month too expensive. great location. beautiful rooms, not many residents

The Merion is lovely. My on...

The Merion is lovely. My only reservations are related to affordability as add'l services need to be added on in the future. We see a few other facilities in the meantime.