The Breakers at Edgewater Beach - Chicago, IL

"At The Breakers, I have my choice of a quiet evening in my apartment home or spending time with my friends. There is fun and lively entertainment all in one spot. What's really special is that there is always someone to visit and talk with. It's a warm, friendly community where everyone feels welcome."

Betty Wilsey, Resident

You’ll notice our charming atmosphere the moment you enter our inviting lobby. It’s a charm that extends to our beautiful apartments and comfortable social areas. Located on Chicago’s spectacular lake front, The Breakers at Edgewater Beach continues a tradition of excellence in luxurious senior living. Maintaining a healthy, happy lifestyle year-round is easy at The Breakers. As a resident at The Breakers, you can enjoy an array of wonderful amenities and services such as our Fit For Life™ fitness and wellness program, elegant dining in our beautifully appointed dining room, and much more. An affordable and carefree lifestyle with an extensive offering of services and amenities...That’s the Breaker’s Tradition

An active community

This community offers a wide variety of activities including a movie theater, people that come in to entertain a cocktail hour on Thursdays as well as gardening, crafts, a library and a game room. I have tried the food and I think it is wonderful. The residents seem happy with this community. The staff have been very nice and cooperative. The community is well taken care of and I would recommend it.

Pleased With My Move to This Community

I'am very much so satisfied with my move to this community. Everyone has been friendly, and kind. The staff is good, and helpful when needed. They do a good job with the cleanliness of the community. They provide nice meals, and good activities for their residents. I have no complaints about this community, and I would recommend it.

It Is A Safe Community

My mom is doing fabulous and she is transitioning very nicely. It is a nice place and it is a safe place. She enjoys the meals and she likes the residents who live there. WE like that they sell the apartment and they have vendors who could provide assisted living if it was needed. It has been a good price for my mom.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for sharing your confidence in us! We appreciate your feedback and we're so pleased that your mom is enjoying her home here at The Breakers!

Father in Law Adjusted Well to This Community

We are satisfied with my father in law move to this community. He has adjusted well to his move here, and he is overall doing well. The staff is friendly, and polite when we come to visit. We haven't had any problems, or concerns about this community. It is a community I would recommend, everything is working out well.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your confidence in us and for your recommendation of our community! Our goal is to provide the best possible experience for our residents and their families, and we're so pleased that your father-in-law is enjoying his home here.

Happy We Chose The Breakers

My mom's been a resident for a little less than a month, but so far we're very happy we chose The Breakers. The 1-bedroom apartment is roomy, clean, recently updated... and has a beautiful view.
The staff is great and they've obviously made a point to make Mom feel welcome and chat with her by name. This is the first time our mom's ever lived alone, so that makes a huge difference.
Also, the residents at Breakers are really friendly and active They seem to be connected to each other and the lakeshore community around them.
Its a lovely residence facility.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for your review; we appreciate your confidence in us and are delighted that your mother is enjoying her new home with us!

Mom loved the units. Huge outdoor private patio. Gate to public park and access to beach.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we appreciate your feedback!

A great place to call home.

We toured this nice community and we liked the tour The staff was able to answer the questions we had on the beautiful community. This community is on the lake and a park close by. The menu is nice and the variety is outstanding.
The other residents also seemed to be active. We highly recommend this community to other families for great care.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for your review; we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit!

Cleanly living environment!!

I had taken a lot of tours of all the different communities for my mother and this one was by far the cleanliest and best for your dollar out of all of the facilities we had looked at. The staff has been very friendly and welcoming to her as well as trying to accommodate her needs as best as possible. The food and activities are impressive as well as the amenities they have throughout the building.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we very much appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to provide the best possible experience for our residents and we appreciate your confidence in us!

Good fit for mom!

My mother moved here recently and really likes it. They did a wonderful job welcoming here to the community. They out her in a group and introduced her to everyone. She has now gone off on her own and is very active. She's doing aerobic classes and crafts. I've tried the food here a few times and it is very good and tastes nothing like nursing home food. We chose The Breakers because the atmosphere was much different than other communities in the area. It didn't feel like a nursing home and felt more like a senior community

A good experience!

I am slowly but surely starting to join in activities. The place is very clean and everyone has been very welcoming and friendly towards me. I think it has been a good experience and a good fit. I have no complaints so far.

Scenic views and pet friendly

They make every effort to be kind and helpful. The housekeepers come in once a week and do a decent job cleaning our room.They could pay more attention to detail.For instance I noticed ceiling tiles that had been moved due to maintenance work when we toured and they still haven't been moved back after several months.We usually don't eat downstairs but when we have it is very good and reasonably priced. We've participated and a few of the activities they offer. We go to their church service every Sunday and have used the movie theater once.We also visited the gym and I appreciated that they showed me how to use the equipment.We chose this community because of the scenery of the lake. I would rather be around nature and pay more. They are also pet friendly and offer a third story deck to walk your dog so you don't have to go outside.

Beautiful lake view out of my apartment!!

I have really been enjoying myself since recently moving into my new living environment. The staff where wonderful to work with and I love my apartment they provided me with. I have a full kitchen, a cozy living and bedroom, and a beautiful view of the lake out side. They also have a great activity center and video room where they show videos every day for all of the residents.

Lots of pluses but not right for us at this time.

My Visit Here

For a lot of different reason I did not see us moving into the community but it was a nice tour. It was clean in all the public areas. The staff were smiling and greeted me as I toured. I was shown a room and it looked suitable.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for visiting The Breakers! We were glad to learn you enjoyed the tour, and would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about what we could have done to make it a five-star experience. Please feel free to reach out directly to our Executive Director, Ted, at our community phone number. Thank you again for your time!

THE BREAKERS.

We are happy to have moved my sister into the Breakers. It is an ideal situation because first and foremost, unlike other Senior centers we checked out in the Chicagoland area, as a renter, she can stay in her lovely, sun-filled apartment and does not need to move into an assisted living space as she needs more care. Open Arms is located in the building to provide the extra care she needs.
Everyone seems very friendly, the food is good and my sister seems to be adjusting very well.
Mind you, I AM NOT LIVING THERE SO THIS IS A 3RD PERSON REVIEW.

For Independent People

For my visit I saw that this community is more for independent living residents. My mom needed assistance and more care. It was a clean place and the residents were doing well from what I seen on my tour. They did good showing us through out the community.

Not a bad community!

Mom seems to like the food. They offer variable dining in a nice dining room. They have in house apartment cleaning. The staff are there to help if she needs it. They offer daily activities and I would recommend this community.

Mom's great care.

I am happy with the community. My mom like the staff that are treating her good and they are very patient. The food appears to be good and a good variety. They are keeping her active with alot of activities. I know other families would be happy with the care here.

My aunt moved to the breakers in October. So far she enjoys it. She especially likes the food and the staff.

Above and Beyond!!

The staff from the community always keep me updated about my loved one's care. My friend has been doing great transitioning to the community. Her meals have good taste to them and are healthy. The activities they offer have worked out as well. I would recommend this place to families and friends.

My Grandmother Loves It Here

My grandmother is doing very well here. I know she is safe and in good hands. They have a lovely staff here, they are caring for her well. The community looks nice, everything is nice and clean. They offer many activities for the residents. The meals are nice, she is pleased with the food. I'am satisfied with all they have done for us. I would recommend this community, it has worked out well.

Good location, lots of programming, 2nd floor pool with activities deck.

The Breakers is an excellent choice!

My mom really enjoys the community and it has been a great experience so far. I really liked the layout of the community with shorter hallways to get to the rooms and elevator. Scott the admissions director was really great and knowledgeable. The move in coordinator made it very easy for my mom's transition into the community. They got her involved with the activities and other residents.

Everything Has Worked Out Well

My mother is doing very well here, I'am pleased. This is a nice community with friendly people. They do a good job with the cleanliness, her room and the facility is well maintained. The staff is great, they are very helpful and attentive. She has made some new friends at dinner. The meals are nice, she is pleased with the food. Everything has worked out well for us here.

Outstanding Staff, Kind Management

I love the concierge help I get here. If anything is needed you simply call them and they add it to their "To Do list". They are very quick and usually get it done within 24 hours. My apartment has plenty of space and I opted out of the cleaning and meals. They have plenty of activities like exercises, movies, sing-a-longs and outings like baseball games and a trip to the candy factory. I would absolutely recommend this community.

First Rate on All Counts!

The Breakers facility and the Breakers staff have both been flat out wonderful. We could not be more pleased.

We like The Breakers at Edgewater Beach!!!

This is a good community and I am thankful to A Place for Mom for giving us a lot of options to choose from. She seems to like the food and there is a beautiful dining room. There are a lot of different activities offered such as church and movie nights. I would recommend this community.

Independent Living With Help If Needed

This is a good community, my father is still able to maintain his independence, but also have access to help if he needs it. Everything is going very well for my father at this community. The community looks great and very clean. He likes the food, and they do sever healthy meals. The staff is great, they have been very welcoming and helpful. I have already recommended this community to my friends.

Independent-minded; but needs a bit of day-to-day help

Great so far. (3 weeks) My dad is 80, in great mental shape, but was having trouble with day-to-day activities because of balance. Additionally, he does not consider himself "old" and does not want to be around "old people."

This was a great compromise. It's independent enough, but gives him the ability to get the help he needs for little things like cleaning and cooking.

First, the restaurant is bright, cheerful--and a place he's proud to show off to his buddies. My dad can be pretty critical about food, but so far he's impressed. (A minor miracle!)

His 1-bedroom apartment is clean, spacious and modern. It's no different (but probably a better value) than any high-rise in Edgewater. It makes going over a lot more pleasant for me. For him, with his modest nest egg and social security, he is not over burdened about price, though he will be dipping in ever month to cover the costs. There are smaller less expensive that we can move to if he becomes too concerned about finances.

He also has access to nursing and physical therapy when he needs it., conveniently located in the building.

Overall, while my Dad hasn't found his clique yet, and still feels a little restless and bored, I have seen him get back to his more usual moods and demeanor.

Not sure what will happen if his mental or physical needs change, but for right now, I am extremely satisfied that this was a good decision emotionally, physically and financially for him.

Making retirement fun

My wife and I have lived here for over a year and found that there are many perks that we did not realize were here. For instance,when the weather is bad,the expansive work out center has wonderful work out sessions and many machines. I use the treadmill three times a week. We have also enjoyed the stretch classes and the sun deck is great for outdoor walking when weather won't permit a walk to the nearby beach which is a 6 minute walk away.
My wife and I facilitate a Veteran's group to help them with benefits they are not aware of and to provide support and contacts.
After we lived here for two weeks, I asked my wife what she likes the best about The Breakers and she said "the people".

Very nice place!

Things are going well, my loved one is very happy here! We have no complaints!

improving the property

They're working on improving the property. They are always doing something with the activities. They need to improve on the dining services. When you bring a guest you have to pay for the additional guest. If you miss a meal you do not get credit for missing the meals. There was a problem with the silverware and we had to use plastic ware.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for your comments. We take great pride in the ability to consistently upkeep our beautiful property. I have been told many times by residents, families and prospects how wonderful our activity program is. We have so much variety for our residents to choose and participate in that help them stay engaged in life. The Director of Dining Services and his team are always looking for ways to enhance the dining experience. Both he and I have an open door policy and are available to discuss concerns or suggestions that will help in providing quality dining services. Please feel free to reach out to Adam Muransky, Director of Dining Services at [removed] or [removed], or myself Leslie Eldridge, Executive Director at [removed] or [removed]. Thank you again for your comments. I look forward to talking with your further.

Dining at the Breakers is not a good value

I am writing on behalf of my parent who has moved into the Breakers. The apartment and the view is terrific. The activities are good as well. However, the dining situation is abysmal. Each day, there is a wait to be seated of at least an hour. That is just to be seated. It can take 30 minutes just to get the order taken by a server. Add another 40 minutes to be served cold food. The food is bland or mushy. This has been going on all summer. The dining area is understaffed and the management does not seem to be doing much about it. If not for the social aspect of taking the meal plan, I would certainly not recommend it.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate your comments regarding the lovely views and activities. We are very sorry to hear that your parent has not had a good experience in our dining room. Please contact our community so I can accurately address these concerns with our Director of Dining Services. Please also welcome your parent to attend our food forum which takes place the last Tuesday of the month. Thank you again for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our services.

Dorothe Magid, Associate Executive Director

excellent

I just recently moved in to The Breakers at Edgewater Beach a couple weeks ago, so far my experience with them has been very good. They have been excellent and I cannot complain at all. I got a really good deal and have been pleased.

My only complaint is that their pool is in need of some repairs, and that was one of the main things I was looking forward to. I am not sure when it will be available for use.

Other than that I have no complaints at all. They have been very good.

SLC Midwest

I am so excited you have had a good experience so far at The Breakers. The Directors and Staff are committed to quality services and amenities as well as excellent customer service. I am excited to say that the pool repair project starts this Fall and should be completed before the end of the year. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time. We all hope you will have continued happiness at The Breakers. I (Leslie Eldridge, Executive Director) can be reached at [removed] or [removed].

Impressive location, amenities, and dining.

The location is very impressive, being a high rise on the lake. They had nice amenities and we were very impressed with the dining being real restaurant style with table and side service. The sales guy however, was rather aggressive for my liking.

SLC Midwest

We are so pleased you enjoyed our community. The beautiful lake view is incredible. Our restaurant style dining experience is something our residents rave about on a regular basis – especially in the beautiful atrium dining room. I hope that you will consider joining The Breakers community when you are ready to make that move. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns at [removed] or you can email me at [removed]. I would be glad to help. – Leslie Eldridge, Executive Director

This place has terrible food and smells very bad. It does not treat it's elderly and vulnerable population with any respect as they never have the elevators running properly, they do not provide decent food, and they charge random and expensive fees, which really depend on what kind of money they think they can get from you. There is no consistent pricing across the population.
My mom stayed here for months on respite but found it depressing, could not eat their food, and could never get up to her apartment in less than 30 minutes as the elevators are constantly a wreck.
As an independent senior, she would never want to live there. She was desperate to get out and find someplace that didn't smell and where she could eat a decent nutritious meal.

SLC Midwest

I am so sorry and disappointed to hear about your mother’s experience. Our top priority is to deliver the best quality services for our residents. I am very interested in learning more specifically about the concerns so I can better improve the quality of services going forward. Please feel free to contact me at [removed]. I am also available by email at [removed].

Leslie Eldridge, Executive Director

They have been very good.

They have been very good. It's very clean, and the staff is friendly. She's really happy there. They have more activities than she can keep up with. It's not a nursing home, by any stretch. The food is good, she always takes what she can't eat back with her. Parking is the only issue, you get an hour free, but after that there is a charge, it's not a big deal, but it's the one and only thing that could be better.

Very accommodating

The move in was really easy. They are very accommodating. They did a very good job at introducing my father to everyone to make it feel more like home. Everything has been great. I would recommend this facility.

How lucky can one gal get!

I’m not really sure where to begin. Your team of professionals made what could have been a very difficult situation a smooth and seamless transition for my ninety year old mother. We (our entire immediate family) have been preparing my mother for this change for over six months; but, as you probably know, she has been, to say the least, reluctant during the entire process. Our initial contact with The Breakers community was with Kristin Milton (Director of Sales and Marketing and her associate Scott) who clearly delineated everything we needed to know – her level of knowledge coupled with her compassion and understanding were equally important to all of us. Next, we had the pleasure of being introduced to Marnie O’Reilly (Move-In Coordinator) who had the answer to every question we could come up with – happily providing additional information for questions we never would have thought to ask. Soon after, Lin Miller (Director of Resident Services) stepped in to the picture. Her guidance with forms, medical information and other legal matters proved to be invaluable. Lastly, and maybe as important as all the others, is your maintenance staff’s commitment to making her new apartment as perfect as possible – Kevin Loebbaka has been a God send and continues to be.

Everyone we have had the pleasure of meeting, from the various staff members, receptionists and management team have all been cheerfully receptive to all of our inquiries and, as important, knowledgeable about all of the aspects involved in my mother’s transition to this new lifestyle. They greeted my mother with open arms and gave the whole process a personal touch. We can now see why Senior Lifestyle refers to their residences as “Communities”, because my mother, along with our entire family, feel that she is surrounded by enthusiastic upbeat people (including the other residents) who care - nothing could be better than that.

Finally, and equally important, we cannot stop talking about how great the food is – all of us have enjoyed quite a few lunches and dinners in your beautiful dining area with views of Lincoln Park and the lake. From the servers to your Director of Dining, Adam Muransky (who personally stopped by our table on several occasions) - everyone went out of their way to serve us with smiles, interest and delicious food.

Thank your wonderful staff and even the other residents for making my mother and our family feel at home – we appreciate your hard work and obvious knowledge and professionalism in handling this important time in our family’s life cycle.

Freindly Staff

The facilities and the staff and residents are wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and eager to assist. We are very happy there and I feel comfortable that she is taken care of. The facility was very nice, along with the staff. The place was clean, and food was really good.

The Breakers was designed for senior independent living - emphasis on INDEPENDENT. Over time, more residents needed a higher level of care, so management brought in an outside company, Custom Home Care, Inc., to provide optional assisted living-style services under the “Catered Living” banner. These services are available to all residents, but the 4th and 5th floors are designated “Catered Living” floors. Both floors are staffed with “concierges” and there is a small dining room on 4. The Breakers does NOT have a skilled nursing facility.

My mother was a resident at The Breakers for several years. In the beginning, this residence was appropriate for her needs. But she gradually progressed from living independently to requiring a live-in caregiver 24/7. And as her health declined, so did the quality of “Catered Living” services she received at The Breakers.

The building and grounds appear clean and well maintained; public areas were refurbished in early 2014 and apartments are spacious and bright, with great views. Facilities, activities and events are above-average. Having medical offices, a beauty parlor, and other services in the building is a big plus.

In the dining room, my mother experienced varying food quality and abysmally slow service. Four elevators are inadequate for a building where a growing percentage of residents uses walkers or wheelchairs; waits at peak times averaged 10-15 minutes and longer when one of the elevators happened to be out of service. The building hired exterminators to tackle bedbug infestations which migrated through apartments and common areas.

Residents and/or responsible parties should review monthly rent Statements VERY carefully. I found erroneous fees for supplementary services on nearly every one of my mother’s bills. Having to dispute overcharges month after month was a drain on my time and patience.

As my mother’s needs increased, communication with The Breakers’ staff became more problematic. Important memos circulated among residents were not copied to family members living outside of The Breakers. Response to voice mail and email was often slow-to-none. Front desk concierges and maintenance personnel were often visibly stressed out and occasionally rude.

Ultimately, though, it was extreme dissatisfaction with the “Catered Living” services that caused me to relocate my mother (see my review of Custom Home Care, Inc. elsewhere on this site).

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our community. It is our goal to continually update our community with modern amenities and programs while providing great service to our residents. We encourage feedback and open communication. We host a Dining Services Committee where residents actively participate in sharing concerns and provide suggestions. Also, weekly communication between The Breakers and Custom Home Care, Inc., help establish a good working relationship to ensure the residents have the best care possible. Any concerns are investigated and resolved in a timely manner. We will continue to monitor for the highest quality in resident care and satisfaction. I have an open door policy and invite you to contact me directly to learn more about your experience. I can be reached at [removed]. Leslie Eldridge, Executive Director.

We are really happy so far.

We are really happy so far. I have no complaints at all. The Breakers at Edgewater Beach, have done a very good job. I can't think of anything that needs to be improved.

My loved one is no longer at The Brea...

My loved one is no longer at The Breakers at Edgewater Beach, but in the month he was, he really liked it. The facility was very nice, along with the staff. The place was clean, and good was really good. It just wasn't the place for him in his situation. Great place though.

Very nice independent living community

My loved one stayed here for quite a while before increased care needs necessitated a move. My loved one really liked it here! They had a lot of great activities, a fantastic dining room, and a lot of really nice amenities. We would have liked to have stayed here, but unfortunately there were no options for any sort of assisted living.

The Breakers is a wonderful Senior Living Community!

The facilities and the staff and residents are wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and eager to assist. My mom is very happy there and I feel comfortable that she is taken care of.

Very nice place, overall

My loved one has only been here a short time, but from what I've seen they do a great job here! He seems to be enjoying himself, and he's been eating and feeling much better since moving in. The staff all seem very friendly, everyone we have worked with has been great.
The only thing I'd advise families to watch out for is to make sure to stay on top of any promises they make when you sign the paperwork. We had a few maintenance issues that did not get handled in the month between us signing the papers and moving in that they had to scramble to fix (or we're still waiting for the fix) when we arrived.

Great option for senior living in the city

My dad recently moved to The Breakers. I think he has had a good experience so far.

The location and amenities are fantastic. Everything is close by - grocery store, other shops, public transportation, park. The deck and outside area are great. The building looks very well maintained.His apartment is not the most updated, but it is nice. Fantastic views of the lake to the north and south.

I have always had positive interactions with all of the staff. I think he has a few minor complaints about them getting back to him with a few things, but I think overall he has been fine.

It's been phenomenal!

It's been phenomenal! The only reason it's not a five is that the elevators are a long wait. The staff has been absolutely amazing. She feels at home, and they have been very attentive to all of her needs. The food has been really good. We really liked the location.

Grandma's not very happy with them and is looking to move after just a couple of months. When we went for a tour, they advertised an onsite barber shop it sounded like it was included in the price, and they charge 42$ for a haircut. They handle getting the medications, and when she requested a refill, they directed her to a place that charged more than double what she normally pays. In talking to some of the other residents, they were unhappy about that as well. They can go elsewhere but this is where they are encouraged to go. They have blinds, and my loved one likes curtains, she asked for help putting up a curtain rod and they said they can only help if they charge extra. She's not feeling the love, she feels like they are taking advantage. They also charge a move in fee, that is non-refundable. They have a movie theater, but it's not very impressive. The place is so big and there is so many residents there is almost a disconnect. We were hoping for a community aspect and feel, but I think it's too big for that. There are no events, going on, nothing scheduled. They don't take responsibility for the things they do they are all about excuses for why it's not something they control.

SLC Midwest

The Breakers is a vibrant and active community offering a large variety of programs and activities for the independent living resident. We have several book clubs, a gardening club, walking club, a large variety of fitness classes for every level, card making class, social events: like Happy Hour, Beer and Wine Club, shopping trips, Dinner out, as well as, the many opportunities to attend local museums, plays and musical performances. We even bring in special entertainers throughout the month, including weekly movies in our popular theater room. If we don’t have it on the program calendar, we do our best to add it. We are open to any and all suggestions.

The Breaker’s residents have the convenient access to many wonderful businesses, such as a Beauty Shop, two doctor’s offices, a wellness center, a dry cleaner, dental office and many others. Each of these organizations offers competitive pricing to our residents. Although we are an independent living community, and do not provide medication management, we are happy to be a resource to our residents by providing them information about our local businesses. For example, our Wellness Center is a licensed home care agency who can assist residents with managing their medications. This includes assisting with ordering new medications, as well as, refills. If such assistance is not needed, residents have a variety of choices in local pharmacies who deliver straight to their door.

One of the good things about The Breakers is our Maintenance Team. They are always around helping hang pictures, change light bulbs, fix televisions, you name it, they have probably done it. As with any services, there are some things we charge for. What is really nice is when a new resident moves in we provide picture hanging among other things free of charge.

I'd love to talk further in depth about the wonderful services and offerings we have at our community. Please feel free to reach out to me whenever it is convenient for you - Leslie Eldridge, Executive Director.

Loved this property and hav...

Loved this property and have decided this is where my mom will be most happy. We will be listing her house in Houston in the coming days and as soon as it sells I will be making arrangements to move her up.

Can't praise it enough

The Breakers at Edgewater Beach is better than I ever imagined. The staff is caring, friendly and attentive to all our needs/wants.
We're looking forward to transitioning my mother in her new apartment living lifestyle and we're so glad we found The Breakers.

Sounds REALLY good

Sounds REALLY good

Dad LOVES It!!

My dad loves it! I would give them a 5 for just about everything! I can't think of anything they should change. My dad is so happy there. He's made friends so fast and he's actually ran into someone he worked with 50 years ago. He mentioned he was taking a couple of classes. One is similar to tai chi. He goes to movies and other things - he's having a great time!

He loves the food! He might actually put on some weight which is good. He was not eating right when he was living on his own. The people there are all really really nice. I can't think of one bad thing to say!

Before, my dad wasn't eating well and he was lonely. Now he's making new friends and participating in activities. He likes that fact that he can literally walk out the door to the bus and there are a bunch of things in walking distance. The Breakers also has their own bus for tips and shopping and things like that.

Mom Is Adapting

My mom is in the place and she's adapted. It's very comfortable, she likes the food, and she's made some good friends. So far she's enjoying where she's at. She's not in to activities but they do have them. It's just not her thing. I think as she develops new friendships and people invite her to go along, her interest in the activities may develop over time.

The one thing I am gong to complain about it the cost. She is on a fixed budget. We've only been there a few months and I just got a letter saying the rent is going to be increased. When I signed the lease I thought I was locked into that price for a year. It might just be the timing but I think they should accommodate people based on their income because we may need to move her if the rent keeps going up.

SLC Midwest

We are so glad to hear that your mother is enjoying her new home and making good friends at The Breakers. I am so sorry to hear about your concern. As the Executive Director of the community, I strive to improve the experience of our residents and their families. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your concerns and see how we can assist you in having the best experience at our community. You can reach me at [removed]. Dr. Leslie K. Eldridge, Executive Director.

Not a good match for mom

It;s not working out, they're going to let her out of the lease because my moms just so miserable there. It's not the breakers, shes just concerned about the money, she doesn't think she fits in with the other residents, she has dinner by herself in the living room, she doesn't like the mass, they go on a lot of the same trips, I could just go on and on.
They were very nice about letting her out of her lease, they had given me 30 days and she didn't say anything until after those 30 days but I thought they were flexible and they said they didn't want her to be in a place where she wasn't happy and I'm sure it wasn't good for their morale either.

SLC Midwest

It is always disappointing when we have someone that does not thrive while living in a retirement community. We understand that The Breakers isn’t going to be for everyone. Fortunately the majority of our residents at The Breakers often say how wonderful it is and how they wish they would have moved in earlier! We are fortunate to have such wonderful and engaged staff that find ways to create fulfilling lifestyles for our residents. Even several of our residents serve as ambassadors to assist new residents during the transition into the community. The transition is made easier as The Breakers is a very diverse community with offerings for almost anyone. We are sorry that in this case we were not the best fit and wish her only happiness in the future.

We're very pleased with the placement...

We're very pleased with the placement here from A Place for Mom and everything is going just fine.

I loved everything I saw, i...

I loved everything I saw, including the splendid view of Lake Shore and downtown from the apartment I've chosen. The amenities are great! I know I can be happy there.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to recognize The Breakers for our gorgeous lake and sky line views! Along with our fabulous location, we are committed to offering best-in-class service and care to our residents.

My mom likes the amenities and activi...

My mom likes the amenities and activities available. It seems well thought out and very organized. The gardening and art room are things she would really enjoy.

Meet my needs. Having a view of the ...

Meet my needs. Having a view of the lake would be heavenly. The atmosphere was very peaceful. Everyone was very friendly. Food appears to be varied and delicious. Social Events were plentiful. Transportation a plus. Pool was a bonus. Not having a washer and drying in the unit was a problem. Parking was an additional expense.

A wonderful building. I like everyth...

A wonderful building. I like everything about it!