Bethany Retirement Community - Chicago, IL

The Bethany organization has been providing services to Chicago seniors for over 126 years! We pride ourselves on offering a Safe, Secure, Home-like environment were staff treat residents like family. Our non-profit home offers both Independent and Assisted Living services. As a state licensed facility we provide three delicious meals daily, 24 hour nursing on-site, social services, housekeeping/linens, maintenance support, Personal Care and a wonderful selection of activities, social events and entertainment.
Bethany is attached to the Methodist Hospital of Chicago which can assist with your medical needs.
We are located in Andersonville neighborhood on Chicago’s north side. Close proximity to CTA bus routes and METRA commuter train. Minutes away from the lake front or enjoy your own beautiful Heritage Park.

This is by far the best retirement living available for the price and location. I am blessed to be part of this community.
[Removed]

Annette Murray

Hi Judy! Thank you so much for your kind words about Bethany Retirement!
We are also so grateful to have you as a resident! You definitely bring in much sunshine to our community!
Thank you again for your wonderful comments! That means a lot to us and to those who are searching for the perfect community! Happy New Year!

A Newby's View

Bethany is one-half to one-third the cost of other places I learned of in Chicago so had to be my choice unless it were really awful. I chose on the basis of price and my son's viewing, as I was many states away and unable to visit. All things considered, I would have made the same decision though, in fair disclosure, I have not seen any other facility. Pro's: happy people, happy staff who seem to want to please, a hospital that is, literally, attached, some much appreciated green space in the city. Con's: lousy food (it is prepared by the hospital kitchen), limitations of a 1953 building, though well maintained. I cannot speak to care services but there are lots of nursing staff and many students supplementing them and the social worker. Worth your consideration.

Annette Murray

Hi Joann - Thank you so much for taking the time to write about some wonderful reasons you enjoy Bethany Retirement! It's always nice to hear positive comments! Regarding food: it seems food is always the much talked about item in retirement communities. I am so sorry you are not enjoying all of your meals. I can suggest you join our "food committee" as we are always looking for ways to improve meals and please our residents. Thank you again and we absolutely love having you as a resident here at Bethany Retirement!

Nothing spectacular about it!

The community was very quiet and seemed to have a lack of energy. This community may be the right fit for less active residents. The dining room was like a schools cafeteria with nothing great about it. They had different layouts for the rooms but they were not as updated as we would like. The layout of the community had long hallways which could make it hard to get around the community.

Annette Murray

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding our community. I'm truly disappointed you do not see what others see in Bethany Retirement Community. Perhaps you came in the morning time when residents were at breakfast or there was not an activity. Our community is a 55 and older community and is indeed very active. Our residents go on outings weekly and there are five exercise classes weekly also. Please visit our website to check out our "Activity Calendar". Our hallways are very bright and long and our active residents love the fact they can get exercise just by walking our hallways. Please let me know if you'd like to reschedule a time to come back and take another look. :)

A Non-Resident View of Bethany Retirement Community

The environment is not hectic. There is a quietness that may be especially facilitating for retirees who've had multiple years of deadlines to meet at work and bills to pay at home.

The first floor has a spacious seating area along with a piano (that really works --- not just a show piece). A water fountain is not far from the piano. It may add a welcome quietude and gentleness to your spirit. Be sure to have a seat or take a leisurely walk in the outdoor garden.

There are medical personnel in the building to assist the residents and a hospital is very close by. Security personnel are on duty 24/7.

Do make BRC a must see in your search for a congenial retirement community.

Annette Murray

Hello. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about Bethany Retirement! It is truly a special place for those who love a homey, comfortable yet active place to live. Our Heritage Garden is truly a beautiful, meditative place for our residents, their friends and family to come and sit and enjoy some quite and nature.
Thank you again!

Review of Bethany Retirement Community - Chicago, IL

Many open community rooms very nice staff clean and inviting. Actual resident rooms outdated but reasonably priced

Hello -
Thank you so much for your wonderful review about Bethany Retirement Community! Not many people take the time to say the good things, and we really appreciate your comments. Being a not-for-profit, we are currently in the process of a fundraiser to help renovate our community. We've made many changes already! Most of the resident apartments have been newly updated. I am sorry you were not able to see one of those. I would love to invite you to come back for a lunch and to take a look at a few of our available newly renovated units. Thank you again for your kind words! -Annette Murray - Sales/Marketing Dirctor :)

Overall it is an okay place

I think that they are very friendly and caring at Bethany Retirement Community. The communication is hard there. I'm not sure who is in charge or who the go to for a service request. The care service need improving but they are working on it. The services offered are also confusing to me. I would like more of explanation on everything. Overall it is an okay place but I get the feeling there is probably some place better.

Annette Murray

Hi and thank you for your comment about our community. I'm sorry you feel a bit confused about our communication and services. Upon move in, we explain and go over the Resident Handbook with residents and family members who are interested, which talks about service requests. Service requests go through the front desk. If you would like these things explained to you, feel free to speaking with anyone in the Administration office on the first floor. Thank you again for your comments. Our goal is to keep our residents and family members pleased with our community and its services.

the biggest disappointment is the food. not to my liking. not enough vegetables and fruit or variety. not flavorful or healthy.

Hi Mary Kay -
Thank you so much for your opinion on the food. I'm so sorry that our meals aren't to your liking. I know we spoke about this last week and its great you are now on our food committee! We always strive to improve our food to please residents. However, its very difficult to please everyone. As you know we've added a vegetarian menu also to fit the needs of those residents who don't eat much meat. Our meals are always cooked "heart healthy" meaning low salt, low seasoning and lean meats. We also offer fish several times a week. As there are always two choices for lunch and dinner, and you've only been here one month, I would encourage you to try some of the other entrees. The majority of our residents truly enjoy our meals. I hope being on our food committee will help resolve some of your concerns. Thanks so much for your comments! We always strive to improve! :)

Dated decor with limited amenities.

We toured here as we were looking for options. My loved one seemed to like it. The decor was a little dated, and I felt that the amenities were limited, compared to others I looked at.

Overall pretty nice place.

They are doing some renovations, but they don't let that affect the cleanliness. I find them to be very attentive and responsive. The only complaint about the food is that they don't get any protein with breakfast. I haven't had any problems with them. I liked that they were affordable, and responsive to my initial inquiry. There were places I called that didn't call me back for over a week. The hospital is right on site too, which is a big plus for me as well.

Nice place, overall

Overall things have gone well with Bethany Retirement Community! It's a nice looking, clean community, and the staff are all very friendly. The staff have a lot on their plate, and they could really use a few more people there, but they obviously do the best they can and there are some great people there. The activities had been a problem, but they recently hired a new activities director who has been working hard to improve things.

Fantastic place!

Overall we've had a great experience with Bethany Retirement! It's a smaller community and it has a really tight knit community feel. Everyone is very friendly and they all look out for one another! The staff are fantastic and genuinely seem to care about the residents. They're very responsive to any issues or concerns that residents or families bring to them. They do seem a bit short staffed at times, and we've had some issues with tasks and requests not get passed along between day and evening staff shifts, but they are obviously doing their best. Another thing I'd like to see them improve is making their two beautiful garden areas more accessible to those in wheelchairs (it can be a little difficult to get over the lip of the door)
We would highly recommend them, they do a great job here and my loved one really seems to love it!

We are pretty happy with it.

It's like a poor persons', upscale assisted living. It's very nice and they are doing a good job. We are pretty happy with it. I give them a high score.

Annette Murray

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are private pay and happy to provide rentals to those 55 and older. Thanks for the high score! :)

The location of this proper...

The location of this property is very nice, but it is in need of updates.

Annette Murray

We are happy you are pleased with our community. As a not-for-profit we will be holding a fundraiser this year to continue renovations of our common areas.

Affordable assisted living

I have had a positive experience with Bethany since placing my Mom here last January. The staff is friendly and helpful. Also, there are plenty of activities, many that my Mom participates in. Overall I am very happy as my Mom has improved greatly since living here.

Annette Murray

Thank you so much for your kind comments about Bethany Retirement. We find many of our residents improve in health and spirit by being around others.

Mom is extremely happy and doing much better

We're very happy there, the cleanliness is good, don't get the wrong idea, it's just an old building, but it's good. The staff is really, really friendly, really nice, the care seems to be excellent, my mother is really happy there and she's actually doing better since she's been there. She's doing activities, she's engaged there.
The value... we didn't expect to find a place that's close to us, that she likes that much and that she can afford. The food, that's another one, She says it's great but I'm not sure, but she's happy with it, her only complaint is that they give her too much.

Annette Murray

We are glad you noticed the cleanliness of our community! We've got a great housekeeping staff who work very hard. Our staff are very friendly and many of our employees have been here for quite some time. We are a huge family and happy staff make happy residents. Our residents are like family to us. Also our food is quite good. We've started an ORGANIC GARDEN this year which are residents are now enjoying!

I came here and what I put in her ref...

I came here and what I put in her refrigerator a month ago is there now, when I opened the refrigerator the smell knocked me over. I figured over a months time the houskeeping would clean it or check it. So i will be bringing this up with them. The staff is okay, we asked her and she said they were good. She has a lot of clean clothes in the closet, it looks like she has everything she needs. I asked them if they could make her a beauty shop appointment and they did. Shes in some kind of memory program where she sits with ladies and does things, I got a call a couple of days ago saying how much they liked having her there. I've met 2 people that know her personally and the guy who sits at the front desk knows who she is so I think she's getting around.

Annette Murray

Thank you for your nice comments. We try to accommodate the needs of all of our residents. Each resident is important to us. Most of our staff know all residents by name. Our Memory Program is very well know and many move here just for the program. Glad your mom is enjoying herself! :)

Mom is happy and doing much better now that shes here

Cleanliness is a real good thing here, not just the rooms but they're redoing some of the hallways because they have carpet on some of the floors and that was a problem. But more so the patients and my mom in particular is so much better kept although she is assisted living and doesn't need a lot more help she does need a little and she's much more well done. She has incontinency issues so that being said she's much more well kept. Her living quarters are spotlessly clean and the common areas are real clean. She's in the memory care group and they meet daily, monday through friday and it seems to be beneficial. The people there are extremely kind, they're just always pleasant and caring. It is older, old fashioned furniture, old wood, heavier stuff but there's a nice enclosed garden that my mom has had fun going to. She's walking better, eating better, has no resistance as far as taking her medicine, her memory is going but she's happy.

Annette Murray

Thank you for noticing our cleanliness. Kudos again to our great housekeeping team!! It's nice to hear your are pleased with your mom's new home! That means a lot to us.

many advantages;good advanced levels ...

many advantages;good advanced levels of care.

Food was excellent, everyone was frie...

Food was excellent, everyone was friendly and helpful, my mother has now moved in and is very happy. They have a "savy circle" for Alzheimer patients that allows them time to interact with others, they have a beauty salon and trips out to various places. I love the place. My mother is happy and I feel she is being well taken care of.

Annette Murray

We are so happy your mom is happy! We know when your loved one is cared for there is a sense of relief. Glad she's enjoying our Memory Care Program also. :)

Though the building is old, it appear...

Though the building is old, it appears to be fairly well maintained. The grounds are nicely landscaped. Several of the apartments I was shown look like they'd work for my father, although I have concerns about toilet-accessibility because of his scooter. The staff I met were pleasant to residents (and me). This is definitely worth considering.

I have only seen this one Community b...

I have only seen this one Community but have the impression that it would be a good one for my parents.