The Landing at Stone Oak - San Antonio, TX

Horrible Management

What a sham! Promises promises. The Executive Director will lie straight to your face and the rest of the management follows suit. They were constantly short handed. The food was barely edible. Crap from a box or bag. The residents were in need of different care than what they received. Staff was treated poorly. I overheard the executive director speaking poorly of/to the employees. No one should be treated that way. I gave it one star because I HAD to. This could be a decent facility if you replace the executive director.

The Landing at Stone Oak was a pretty nice place. their rate scale does not include the level of care. they do have a dog there and that seems to be their main marketing ploy. This property is about 4 years old, and one thing I did notice was that there were a lot of people in wheelchairs .I think I saw one gentleman actively wandering. my mom is very active. the other thing I noticed is that the place had sort of a old musty smell to it

The Landing at Stone Oak was a pretty nice place their rate scale does not include the level of care they do have a dog there and that seems to be their main marketing ploy.

Do Not Recommend This Facility

My father was at this facility for 8 months. I was not involved with creating the care plan and did not see it until the last month he was a resident. My father had a small stroke and became unable to walk at all but no one changed the care plan. Before he moved in I told them he must have his food cut up and the doctor from rehab said he needed a mechanical diet. They did not cut up his food or provide the prescribed diet. He had major choking incidents because of this. My father was in a wheelchair and was at a high risk of falling. I requested, before he moved in, that he be returned to his room after meals and helped into bed or a chair. They refused and he fell 8 times. They said he could get to his room on his own, which he could, but the doors are kept locked and could not get into his room. He hurt his food kicking the door trying to get in. When I would visit he would be wandering the halls looking for someone to let him in and he would cry when he would see me. He thanked me for rescuing him. They showed no concern for my father's safety and welfare and put his life at risk. They totally ignored me and my request for providing the proper care. Most of the time when I visited, the staff was standing around the front desk talking instead of walking the halls to see who needed help. I would not recommend this facility.

He was happy here

We loved the set up here it was easy to get in and out. This community is so great the employees looked do happy to be at work. The caregivers were nice and helpful. The food was OK and he got involved with a few activities like singing and dancing. I would recommend this community.

Pretty Nice Tour

My tour of this community went well. Everyone was friendly to my family, and I. The community looked good from what I saw. The experience was a pleasant one, but I did find another facility that met our needs better.

A Good One

My mother-in-law is doing good as a resident here. The care is good for her.

Great housekeeping!

My father has stayed in other senior communities and this is the best so far. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They don't offer options in the memory care section but I've tried the food and it's pretty good.My father is actually participating in the activities they offer which is something he's never done before. The best part of the place is the housekeeping staff. They come in his room periodically to clean and they do a great job.

Nothing Can Be Perfect, But Overall Pleased

Overall I'am pleased with this community. There are some minor concerns I have. but I know he is in good hands here. He is around lovely people, and they truly love and care about him. Nothing can be perfect, but they a good a job for the most part. There are nice activities available through out the day. He does feel like he is at home here. It is a bit expensive, but he is getting good care. He is doing well and I'am satisfied.

There are nice and helpful staff that communicate with me well. My dad has not complained about the meals that are provided, so I think it is good for him. The community is always clean. I feel that my dad is getting good care and is safe in his environment. I definitely would recommend this community to family and friends.

Toured, very nice looking place!

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The Landing at Stone Oak is a very nice looking place, and things have only gotten better after some recent management changes. We loved the facility and the personnel, and they were a close second choice during our search. I'd definitely recommend them as being worth a look!

Lorene Bower

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your tour and experience at The Landing at Stone Oak. Please keep in contact with us if we can provide support or resources in the future.

So far, so good

My mother has been a resident for less than a week, but so far, so good. The staff has done everything to make the move as simple and stress-free as possible.

The facility is very clean, and we are really happy with how friendly and caring the staff has been. They are helping mom become involved in activities which is a big surprise to the family.

We had some concerns about the new management company (we didn't have a track record to analyze), but so far, we are delighted with everything.

Lorene Bower

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We are committed to providing the highest quality of life possible in an engaging, gracious environment. Your comments about your mom's smooth assimilation in to our community is encouraging and affirms our ongoing mission to being the leader in providing personal services to our residents.

Review of The Landing at Stone Oak - San Antonio, TX

We really like the general feel of this facility. When on tours the residents would come along with us and talk about life there...all were positive about their living environment and food quality etc. the only two downsides are the size of the private rooms (much smaller than any other facility) and the fact that this has JUST changed ownership and management so we are not sure if the program will remain at current levels.

seemed to be extremely busy

At The Landing at Stone Oak the biggest issues we had with them is they seemed to be extremely busy. The day we contacted them to try to get it set up they had a surprise inspection by the state. It took them several days to get the paper work to get him in. He was only in this facility 4 days and passed away. We got a final bill and thought we had paid it all in full. It said we owed a community fee that was supposed to be waived. They did end up correcting that. The staff was very nice to us and negotiated with us since we were only there 4 days. The facility had a nice family area. His room was right by a nice area with sofas and chairs. The staff was all very pleasant with all the ends and outs. It was very secure and a very nice facility. A lot of the residents were very friendly. Some of them would come by and sit with us and were so nice. Overall it was a good experience in the short time he was there.

Not a great outcome

We heard good things. We did not have a good outcome. The staff ratio is not adequate enough to provide the care needed. The aides need to be more attentive to the residents needs especially when it comes to hygiene and incontinence. One of the reasons we decided on The Landing is because there was always a nurse on staff in person 24 hours per day,not just on call, to attend to medical needs. However, the medical needs were not attended to in a timely manner.

Very poor quality care!

My mother has been at The Landing at Stone Oak for 14 months and, in the beginning, it appeared the staff was very caring and committed to providing quality care. The food, however, has always been substandard -- high in starch and processed meats. With changes in leadership several months ago, the care began a steep decline. The only time my mother gets a shower is when my sister gives it. We set up a video recorder with audio and found that no evening medications were given on at least two occasions. With the exception of going out for meals, my mother spends all of her time in her room without interaction -- without being invited to activities or receiving the snacks that are supposed to be provided. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Today, we put down a deposit and are moving her to another facility.

Very Positive

I think the place is clean. It's very nice. The common spaces are really lovely and the thing I like is that every single person who works there interacts constantly with the residents. It has been very positive so far.

Good Value

This is my mothers 3rd facility. The Landing has been a solid 4.5 out of 5. It is very clean overall and the individual rooms are very well kept. The staff is attentive and responsive. Like most healthcare businesses, there is a learning curve and I feel they are making a solid effort to provide great care as the days go by. Yes, communication is a 2 way street and I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The food is good, the care is consistent , and the building and grounds are top notch. These are hard working people that are providing a service that is incredibly important to the families that pay the bills .I appreciate their efforts.

good experience overall

We came in to The Landing at Stone Oak in a bit of an urgent emergency. Based on that initial experience I do think it would be good if they took the time with families that are new to this experience to check in with us, update us on how things are going, proactively seek out our feedback, etc., would be very helpful.

Other than that it has been a really good overall experience with The Landing at Stone Oak . My mother is getting very good care there.

very impressed

The Landing at Stone Oak is a really beautiful place. It is well laid out, wide, and spacious. The rooms are large enough, bigger than what she had before. They have an activity director that is just wonderful! They not only have great activities, but they make sure the residents know and are able to get engaged. The meals are excellent as well. Really good food. I have really been very impressed with everything about them and would highly recommend them.

Very nice staff, but still a lot to improve on

I think The Landing is a very nice place, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else who is looking. That being said, it is a newer facility and they are obviously still working things out in terms of coordination and care. The staff are all very good, and very nice to the residents, I've never heard a cross word from anyone. However, I've had problems with their communication and consistency of care. The communication between the shifts and the different types of care staff just doesn't seem to be there, if you have any special requests or instructions you have to re-tell them to each person who works with your loved one. Requests that I have made very clear still aren't carried out very consistently, I requested more daily bathing and shaving assistance for my loved one, but sometimes when I visit it's obvious that it has been a few days. They are a new facility, and I know they are working hard on improving themselves, and I have high hopes for them for the future.

My experience with The Landing at Sto...

My experience with The Landing at Stone Oak has been pretty good. My mom is in the memory care unit. The staff is very friendly and caring. They have 24 hour nurses available on staff. There's one aide there, Cassandra, that I absolutely love. One issue is the food. I feel they could do better in that department. Another issue that we have is In the memory care unit, they have a number of residents that yell out, some yell curse words, and other offensive things, which upsets my mom and other residents. That makes for a bad experience for the other residents. I would like to see something done about this. Besides those two things, I'm pleased with their services.

Excellent job overall

There care here has been very good overall, aside from one incident we had. The staff and caregivers all have a very positive and caring attitude and outlook, and treat the residents very well. The facility itself is always very clean and nice looking. One aspect I particularly like is that there is an enclosed central courtyard area that all of the buildings open out to, so that the memory care patients have a safe place to go outside.
The only issues we've run into was that there was a miscommunication about my father receiving physical therapy for an arm injury. We were under the impression that he was receiving therapy, as was the director, but the nurses caring for him said they had never received those instructions. The director apologized profusely and went out of her way to figure out where the breakdown in communication occured.

The Landing at Stone Oak is park of the Franklin Park community, and it's within driving distance of several off-site amenities and shopping venues. This home specifically cares for those needing memory or Alzheimer's care. Since they cater to that specific demographic, they are able to provide the unique type of care these residents may need. The home is richly decorated to encourage a sense of calm, and the facility is comfortable and secure. Some of the amenities The Landing at Stone Oak offers include completely furnished apartments, one- or two-bedroom floor plans, sensory therapy, pet therapy, and 24/7 access to licensed nurses.