Sterling Place - Southfield, MI

Services were Ala Caret On Top Of Price

This community was nice but after all the add ons the price was going to be out of my friends budget range. The sales person was very nice and professional very informative. The community appeared clean and well maintained.

The Sterling Place was modern updated and the staff was warm and friendly,have a caring attitude for the seniors living in the facility. Sterling place offers a lot of activities for the seniors as well as I love the private rooms allowing my Mom to feel independent also she will receive services she need such as cooking bathing cleaning medication assistance,transportation and exercise and weekly Church services. As the staff pointed out this is a one stop facility.This is well worth the cost. I gave it a 5 star.

It Was Very Nice

The community I saw was ok. They were going to put my parent on the third floor and I didn't like that. There was not an availability on the first floor. They were also expensive and in a location that was not the best.

Comfortable Living!!

My loved one has recently made the move into this community and so far we are pleased with how things are going for her. The staff are very friendly and I am comfortable with the care they are providing. She has the option to prepare he own meals in her room or make her way downstairs to the dinning room to eat with the other residents. Overall we are happy and would recommend it to anyone.

A nice tour

The person that took us on tour was friendly. This community looked clean. They offer transportation and the residents are able to have pets. We just did not get the same comfortable feeling as we did at the community we chose.

Community was too small

The staff was friendly and helpful during my tour. I didn't like Sterling Place because it was too small.

My father's Care

I am happy with this community. I feel that they can use some improvements in the cleaning area. I have concerns on his personal care at times. I am happy that he does like the meals that are server. They offer him alot of nice activiites. I would suggested that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

You get what you pay for

Sterling Place is an affordable option. I was spoiled by other communities I toured but I think for the price it was okay and should be considered if looking for something affordable.

Sterling Place was very bright and inviting. [Removed] provided us with a informative tour. The atmosphere was friendly and pleasant. The apartment was a cozy size and sufficient to meet our needs. The price was reasonable and the services and amenities were good.

Very Friendly and affordable independent living.

I really liked Sterling Place and it was one of my top choices. I ended up with the group home because I think it will suit my mom better. Very warm and friendly and lovely setting.

Horrible Experience

I would not recommend this community to anybody. I'am having a horrible situation with them at the moment. My father stayed at this community for six days, and he had a bad episode, due to his dementia. After being evaluated by his physiologist, he informed me my father could not live on his own. Once I told the community he would have to move out, because he needed more care than they are able to provide. They are still trying to charge me, even though he is unable to stay there. They have been inconsiderate, and not understanding of our situation. I would not recommend for anybody to take their loved one to this community.

The common areas were nice enough. Liked that residents would get three meals a day. Like the laundry arrangements. Was not impressed with the actual apartment. Looked like they are in dyer need of remodel/upgrade. The one bedroom appeared very small.

Communication and Follow Ups Can Improve

My brother has had issues getting his calls answered quick and at times his calls goes to voicemail. I went away for a week and saw that his room was not clean. They left his soiled linen and it wreaked like urine. When I was there often it was maintained. The staff are friendly enough. He says the meals are okay but is having a difficult time with the meal time for dinner. They serve breakfast at 9 am to 11 am, lunch at 11 am to 1 pm and dinner at 3 pm to 5 pm. He likes to eat late. I like that the community is taking car of his medication and he likes to sit outside on a bench on his porch. I would recommend them to those who need it.

Awesome Administration!

I have really been pleased on how well the administration has been taking my complaints and suggestions in consideration. They have been very active on making sure that those changes get made and that I am satisfied in my new living environment. I really enjoy my bedroom it is a great fit for myself although I do wish my bathroom was bigger. The food also needs some improvements on the amount of fiber they put in there meals.

Sterling Place

I found this place for my father.
It gives him his independence of his own apartment, but the helpfulness of having his meals provided for.
For a reasonable fee they assist with the administration of his medications, so that give me the assurance that he his getting them everyday & on time without worrying if he is remembering to take them.
Included in the rent is weekly apartment cleaning & linen service which is great!
The staff is very friendly & helpful.
They have doctors that come to the complex to visit or they have a shuttle service to take residents to doctors visits, shopping & they go on other outings as well to keep active.
There's also many activities in the complex that the residents can join in on everyday.
I am very happy with this facility for my father & he seems happy with it as well.

Sterling Place

I found this place for my father.
For a reasonable fee they assist with the administration of his medications, so that gives me the assurance that he his getting them everyday & on time without worrying if he is remembering to take them.
The staff is very friendly & helpful.

Other options

This community has some adjustments that are needed. They have others that are on motorized vechiles and making it hard on others. The music that is played is not acceptable and needs to be adjusted. The staff is not professional. The care is not what is seems to be. I will be considering another community for my mom.

Better service in dinning room!!

There needs to be a lot of improvement in the dinning room area. The service is not acceptable and they always seem to be short staff, by the time my loved one finally receives her food it is cold. The carpet looks like it has not been cleaned in a long time and has an awful smell to it.

They have music and church and many activities for the residents to partake in. The music is too loud and appears to be chosen by the younger staff so too much hip hop and R&B. The main issue is there is no order in the halls etc. The residents with the motorized carts block the halls and run into other people. There needs to be better focus on orderliness.

Community Felt Cramped

I toured this community for my father and his needs. I wasn't very impressed with the layout of the community. The community felt very cramped. The rooms they showed me were very tiny. Everybody was very nice and friendly. Overall it wasn't the community for my father and his needs.

Nice place

Our experience with Sterling Place has been a good one, so far. The people and staff seem friendly, and it's a nice looking facility. We've got no complaints!

Some things are nice, some things aren't.

Although I was asked beforehand, I decided to wait until my mother actually moved in before reviewing. I didn't feel that a review based on one tour would be accurate. Unfortunately I was correct.

The building is nice and clean, the rooms are clean, and the grounds are beautiful. However, we (Mom and I) have noticed a few things that could stand a little improvement:

1. One of the selling points of Sterling Place is that 3 meals per day are included in the rent. That is true. However:

- The menus are not accurate. I know that changes can occur anywhere, but so far menu items listed have been unavailable every single day. Today, the selection for lunch was actually dinner! So residents got a completely different meal than what they were expecting.

- The food is mediocre, although it is "sold" as a step up from processed food. I'm not too sure about that. I recently joined Mom for dinner in the dining room. The entree was turkey and stuffing. That was the saltiest stuffing I have ever tasted. I stayed quiet because I figured others might not think so. Boy, was I wrong. After a few minutes, I heard several residents (at least a dozen) sitting around me talking about the excessive saltiness. Even though the turkey was sliced white meat, it looked as though it came from a pre-packaged roll and the gravy on top was so salty, I scraped it off the turkey. I hope all meals aren't that salty, not just for the taste but for the residents health.

- Another selling point is that the food will be delivered to residents if they don't want to come to the dining room. That is true, but be prepared to wait a LONG time, and you should turn your oven on because it will be cold when it arrives. I think this is because there aren't enough staff in the dining room, and residents who would prefer their meals in their apartments are forced to wait a very long time.

- The dining room staff--although polite--could be a little friendlier and warmer. They look as though they're just showing up to work and they've forgotten that they're talking to seniors whose only face-to-face interaction for the day could be in that dining room. A smile and a kind face could go a long way.

2. There are many other services included, such as laundry, housekeeping, and transportation. These are great amenities; however, the information is nowhere to be found when new residents arrive. Residents--if they don't have family to help-- are fending for themselves by asking any staff person who walks by. I feel really bad for them. Sterling Place: PLEASE consider some type of "new resident packet". It doesn't have to be elaborate, just a sheet of paper that says "for laundry, call this number.....this is who you should call for housekeeping....."

I am happy that Mom is in a safe, clean environment and will have many good services available to her that are included in her rent. That is a great savings to her. But we really hope that the other areas of concern will improve not just for her, but for everyone there.

It's s nice place

Very nice place.

Love it, trying to make this her next residence.

nice clean pleasant enviroment

Review of Sterling Place - Southfield, MI

Ms. Peggy is as sweet as pie. Very nice community constant new upgrades going on. Good people if you stop and look and listen they all seem treat people with love and kindness

It Takes Time, Patience & Then Some

The staff is very patient with the residents. They bring the residents their food (small fee) when they do not want to come downstairs. The food is the best I have experienced for elderly residents.

The staff will offer to assist the family members anyway they can. Utilize the service. Adult children who care for elderly parents and are active with their grandchildren can be worn down soon.

My mother is having a difficult time with the change in her life style, but hopefully she will accept this new phase in her life. She had to adjust to not driving which was her number one joy, to moving to an environment condusive for seniors, and learning to trust strangers in this stage of her life. I am hoping when spring/ summer weather comes and she can go outside to walk, her spirits will rise.

It takes time, patience, faith and then some.

great facility

The facility is great. It is a good facility. There is nothing I feel they could improve here. The staff is good and the level of care they provide is good also.

very happy

Sterling Place is going well. He is feeling comfortable and settling in. I have no complaints. The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. The value is good. I am very happy with how it's going.

Nice place, overall

Overall I think they do a good job at Sterling Place. The facility is very clean and well kept, and the staff are friendly and professional. They're very attentive for the first few weeks when someone moves in, which really helps the transition go smoothly and helps the new person settle in. We've had experience with a few different communities, and one thing that stands out here is how good the food is, he really seems to enjoy it!

Nice place it's pretty nice all the way around the grounds. And the people seem nice and friendly. Looking for assisted living for Ma with cueing and direction they offer a personal care package to address this. Looks pretty good.

very good positive experience

I have to give Sterling Place two thumbs up! My mom passed away recently, but when she was there, they were very much on top of things and took great care of her. She had a fall at one point and they were right there to take the best care of the situation they could and let me know.

The staff there is really very nice. It was a very good positive experience. I would highly recommend the place! I would go there myself.

Overall she is happy

The only concern is that when they were Heatherwood, the food was really good, Now that they have changed partners and catering companies, I get lots of complaints about food, sometimes it's not even the same thing as what's on the menu. The maintenance guys come really quickly. One other concern is that one of the cleaning lady doesn't come on the right days, and she says she'll come the next day and she doesn't come. She likes the activities. The transportation is really beneficial. Overall she is happy with where she is at. The social worker, JoAnne is excellent, too.

This is a nice facility although it needs a little updating. The food smelled good and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Depressing first impression

We were looking for a place with 2 bedrooms, which is hard to come by. We visited the Heatherwood and as soon as we entered the property, we noticed that the dining area and the reception desk area were located right by the entrance and there were people with walkers and wheelchairs, etc... so, our first impression was that it seemed somewhat depressing. Therefore, we have not yet made a decision and are still looking.

I found that the facility truly under...

I found that the facility truly understands the practical needs of their residents. The sincere care given by the staff surpassed all my expectations. The highest level of care was needed. The highest level of care was given.

Affordable Home for Seniors

The staff is very friendly and attentive to the residents. They offer many activities and encourage the residents to participate. The meals are wonderful, especially the large breakfast. The rent is very affordable for those with a low income. The best value around! My grandmother is very happy there.

They are very quick to respond to anything he needs.

Their dining option that is all inclusive leaves a little to be desired. They have a lot of the same thing day in and day out. There is not enough variety. They are very quick to respond to anything he needs. They call me and my other family member immediately. They need more updated decor and furniture, it makes it look like a state run nursing home. If I'd had more time to find something the decor may have turned me away and chose for me to go elsewhere.

Not as advertised

They say their food is fresh and from local sources as if you will be getting fresh produce. That is not the case. They serve the worst iceberg lettuce and canned vegetables. They don't have healthy food. It's Gordon food service type food and no accommodations for special diets like low sodium or diabetic menu. I hope they allow us to recoup the money spent for meals we did not eat. We bought the package deal.

Their common area bathroom has been remodeled and is not Ada compliant. The door is too heavy there is no push button. The toilet seats are way too low.

The apartments are very tiny.

OK not great dated. Poor ho...

OK not great dated. Poor house keeping

While this is a clean facility and on...

While this is a clean facility and one of the less expensive large retirement communities in the area, it exceeds my mothers budget. A studio apartment is $1295.00 and the Third party personal care company charges $1000.0 to $1800.00 for intermediate to comprehensive care.

Director is very professional. Would ...

Director is very professional. Would like to set up a tour with Dad.

Not confirmed. Price high for one bed...

Not confirmed. Price high for one bedroom. Unit very small. No diswasher. Limited kitchen space and cabinets.Can not grill on patio.

I had a extremely nice tour and all m...

I had a extremely nice tour and all my questions were answered. I was very impessed with the place. The residents seem happy and full of life and all of the staff was very friendly. I will take my mother back so she can choose. The Heatherwood is on my short list.

Discover unsurpassed beauty and comfort at The Heatherwood, offering exceptional Independent Living services in Southfield, Michigan. Residents find peace and comfort in beautiful manicured gardens that feature winding walking paths or on covered porches and patios that overlook it all. We offer residents a vibrant lifestyle that encourages health and independence through innovative recreational, educational, health and wellness programs. Just moments from the Detroit Metro area, our Independent Living community sits on 10 acres of paradise near medical centers, pharmacies, dining options and entertainment destinations. Convenient public transportation via Greyhound and Smart Bus brings residents to stops all around the city.