The Grande - Brooksville, FL

Nice but like Atria, could not accommodate oxygen needs

Found it clean with all questions answered. Very large facility. Residents looked comfortable. Will continue looking to compare.

Glad I found The Grande

I have nothing but good things to say about The Grande. Moving an elderly person always has glitches and bumps you don't count on. It is how people handle those little situations that has sold me. Plus, everyone is genuinely nice. I couldn't be happier and since I am in Denver and my mom is in Florida. It's peace of mind.

All is Well for Me Here

I'am doing well since my move to this community. It is a very nice place, and everyone has been very welcoming. This is a nice looking community, they do a great job with the cleanliness. All is well so far for me here, and I would recommend this community.

A tour for care

This community I toured for my mother's care. The community was clean and taken care of. They do offer activities. We did not see the meals. I think other families might see this community to see if it would be a good fit for their family member to care and value.

We toured this community for my mom. the staff was very nice and helpful to our questions. They had a good variety of activities and meals that would have been available. We would recommend this community, but it was not what we were looking for.

Outstanding cqre

This is an outstanding community. The staff is wonderful and very caring to the needs of my father. He is more than please with the meals that are served. The community is always nice and clean on the visits to see him. He enjoys many of the activities. I can not say enough about the great care and value that families would receive here.

Beware Don't go!

I will never take my loved one here again. This place was just awful and the staff was not nice and did not help with much of anything. The food was bad and not prepared properly. They just didn't seem to have all there stuff together. I would not recommend them to anyone ever.

Lots to do!

The staff is great here and very helpful and caring with my loved one. The community has lots to do and my loved one has really got involved with the activities that they offer. The food is good and there are enough choices even with my loved one being a picky eater.

Great Community, My Mother Is Great

This is great community, and my mother is doing great here. I'am pleased with all they have done for us. I know she is safe and in good hands. The staff is great, they are very attentive and helpful. There are nice activities available for her when she is ready to participate. The meals are basic. The resident and the staff have been very welcoming to us. Everything has worked out very well for us here. I would recommend this community.

Independent living

my Mom was regressing living with my brother and his wife at their home. Mom needed to have some independence again and people to interact with. her apartment is very small, but is clean and quiet and all hers. she is very happy and is more like her old self again. the value for the $ is very good. all of the staff are very helpful and kind. we have a great deal of peace of mind knowing Mom is in a good environment and is happy. Great choice!!!!

Nice place

Things have gone very well at The Grande so far, I'd give them high marks across the board! It's a nice looking place, and the staff has been friendly, welcoming, and professional. Our loved one has settled in well and seems to be doing fine here!

A wonderfull place for your loved ones

What a wonderful, safe and caring facility. The people there are attentive, caring and keep me informed about any issues or questions. They accompanied my mom to the doctor and then called me to let me know how it went.
They make sure she gets her meds and that she comes down for her meals. I feel really good about where she is especially when I live in NY and cannot be in FL. I recommend the Grande in Brooksville to everyone.

Beware

I am a single woman with no children. I suffer with a disability that includes being nearly totally deaf. I have an aging mother. At the beginning of 2015 it became apparent that with my own health declining in certain areas and my mother’s declining health, I needed help to care for both myself and my mother. As the progression of things occurred my mother was placed at The Grande, 725 DeSoto Avenue in Brooksville, Florida 34501 within the Independent Care area. During my first visit to my mother there was an incident at 10:20 pm on July 21st of this year. I was just returning to my mother’s apartment when one of the Residents was stressfully calling me to come quick. He was pointing to someone in the Lobby where the elevators are located. There was a man on the floor at the elevators crumpled with his legs under him crooked. His hands were in the bottom railing in the door of the elevator. He was out of consciousness when I got to him. I spoke and asked if he was okay. He did not respond right away. I told him he needs to move his hands in case the door to the elevator opened. He was so weak he couldn’t move. I finally was able to get him a bit away from the elevator door and had him leaning on his walker seat. His name is [removed] who passed away on August 8, 2015. There was NO ONE at the front desk. NO ONE in case of emergency. NO emergency information located at the front desk. I called 911. The emergency response came from the Brooksville Fire Department located at 85 Veterans Ave. Phone number [removed]. They are 2 minutes away from The Grande. When they arrived they were confused and alarmed as to why The Grande has NO ONE posted at the front desk for such emergencies. They finally had to walk over to the Assisted Living area to find someone. Needless to say, these emergency response personnel were extremely concerned about the lack of staff at such a vulnerable time for our precious seniors. My statement was taken at The Grande in regard to this incident. I was informed that there is staff from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm. Unacceptable. I inquired the next day regarding the lack of staff. I also wanted the contact information for the owner of this facility. There was no information at the front desk. I was told that the information was removed some time ago. This is the owner of this facility: Holiday Retirement 5885 Meadows Road Suite 500 Lake Oswego, OR 97035 [removed] [removed] I wrote a detailed letter to them presenting them with issues that I observed while visiting my mother; issues including Security, Nutrition and Medical Emergencies. Their response ‘…While some things are easy to improve other areas may take longer…’ Yes, they have improved the front desk staffing from 8:00 am until 5:00 am. What about the lack of staffing between the hours of 5:00 am until 8:00 am? One resident’s family member writes: Just this morning, (October 25, 2015) my mom lost her balance and slipped to the floor. She now wears an Alert 1 button around her neck so she can call for help when needed. When Alert 1 people called, no one was at the front desk. It is not manned from 5:00 a.m. until either 8 or 9:00 a.m. on weekends. The folks who rushed to mom’s aid were three nurses from the assisted living side of the building. The big problem was that they were unable to find the master key to gain entry to my mom's apartment rendering her helpless lying on the floor for an unnecessary additional 15 minutes. I have befriended a few of the resident’s families. We talk, we share what our mother’s are going through and we cry with each other. We are working together in this journey to make The Grande all that they promise on their website and especially within their Mission Statement: We are in the business of providing security, comfort and value to seniors seeking an independent and fulfilling lifestyle. We provide the holiday touch. This is not rocket science. This is CARING for our disabled and aging Senior Citizens. Citizens of our great country who admire and respect our Seniors. But the sad truth is the fact that The Grande is in desperate need of help on its own. We held a meeting to discuss our Complaints/Concerns/Comments on October 15, 2015 in the Social Room of The Grande. Attendees included three Residents, four (including me) family members, the Executive Chef, the Senior Regional Chef and The Grande’s Executive Director. We left with hopeful optimism that our Complaints and Concerns would be handled in a swift manner. I am saddened to report that there are continuing issues. Let’s begin with their Sales tactics. One resident’s family member writes: My mom moved into The Grande nearly six months ago. Prior to signing on the dotted line, we were promised some things that just were not true. We were told mom would be transported to her doctor, even after we informed the salesperson that her doctor was in Pasco Cty. After moving in, we learned the transport only incorporates Hernando Cty. It cost us $150 for a private transport to get mom to her doctor. We were not made aware that there are doctors/nurses/podiatrists/phlebotomists who actually come to the facility until just yesterday, October 24, 2015. We were told that nightly bed checks were done on every resident. We recently found that was not the case unless you request it and then you are charged for each visit. A few weeks ago, my mom slipped onto the floor from her bed and was unable to get back up. This happened sometime after 11:30 p.m. If a bed check had been done, mom would not have spent 9 hours on the floor resulting in a two week hospital/rehab stay with severe cellulitis in her arms and legs. Let’s now look at their Nutrition. I’ve eaten their food. It’s mainly disgusting. On Saturday, October 17, 2015 my mother and I ordered the sloppy joe’s and peas from that day’s menu. The plate was cold and the food was slightly warm. My mother’s food was the same. We asked for hot food. Food was returned. My mother’s came back with a green bug crawling off of her plate. It was not known from where it came, according to the chef of the day. My mother is mainly eating hamburgers or hot dogs because she does not find the menu items appealing at times. Extremely poor nutrition. Recently I heard tales of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that some ordered had a small amount of peanut butter and a small amount of jelly between two pieces of bread. Unacceptable. One resident’s family member writes: It is ‘hit and miss’ with the meals. Another resident’s family member writes: The quality of the food is low. Meats are usually over cooked and too tough to cut with a knife. Vegetables are over cooked and mushy. Lettuce salad is never made available. When mom asks for one (as instructed by the head chef to do so) she is always told they have no lettuce. Menu choices are ignored or overlooked. Often an item that a resident chooses does not make it to their plate. Whoever fills each plate order is not paying attention to details of each resident's choices. More often than not, the food arrives cold. And a resident must wait at least 45-75 minutes to be served once a menu is picked up. On two separate occasions, my mother's dinner was completely forgotten. When asked where her meal was, she has been told she never handed in her menu and there is nothing left and is offered a piece of heated up pizza. Mom has type 2 diabetes and all that bread would put her blood sugar at dangerous levels AND her menu was filled out and picked up. I know because I was present. Kitchen staff misplaced it and tried to put the blame on mom. One evening, the only thing residents were served was a 'Waldorf' salad. It was void of any dressing. It was a Sunday night. More than a dozen residents walked out disgusted and hungry. My mother called me soon after with her complaint. From my cell phone, I was able to contact Amanda who was in charge that evening. She admitted to me that she had to "step it up", that her dinner that night was not one of her best efforts. I told her my mother was in her room, angry, ready to move out and very hungry. All she offered was a yogurt and some fruit. Mom had no choice but to accept this meager offering. After continual calls/emails/visits to the director, I find nothing has changed even though after a 90 minute October 15, 2015 meeting with the director, the head chef and the regional chef closed the meeting with assurances and promises of positive changes and good results to better all our complaints and concerns. I feel my words have fallen on deaf, uncaring ears. Mom pays $2,100/month plus an additional $2.25/night for a 3:30 a.m. bedcheck that I doubt even takes place at times. It is not my intention to move mom. She loves her apartment and has become comfortable with her fellow residents. What I especially want to see is each and every resident be served a balanced, high quality, healthy meal consisting of good cuts of quality meat, fresh vegetables, lettuce salad, fresh baked bread (sometimes available) and more choices of diabetic friendly desserts. There are Residents who do complain quietly amongst themselves. They feel afraid to speak up for fear of being evicted with no place to go. There is no consistency with the quality of food. One cook who worked the weekend of September 19th expressed to me that she would not eat the food served to the Residents. Although, during the meeting of October 15, 2015 I was informed that she eats the food she cooks and the executive chef’s food as well. I have only seen lunch bags being brought in by the staff. I don’t see the staff sitting down in the dining room and ordering what is on the Menu. I have heard the stories of how we are to be patient that they are trying to improve things at The Grande. Is this what I say to my mother? ‘Mother, please be patient. One day you MAY have consistent good nutrition with staff that MAY know you are having a medical emergency.’ The Grande’s excuse is that it takes a long time for thorough background checks as to why they are short on staff. Good Nutrition? I suppose they think they are trying to change things. If you wish your loved ones to eat below-nutritional-value then this is the place. What do we need to do to get good consistent Nutrition and full staffing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at The Grande? Holiday Retirement is quite the conglomerate. They have over 300 facilities in the United States plus 13 that are overseas. They begin charging $1,600 a month for a Studio apartment that has no closet. Why is The Grande lacking in both staff and good consistent Nutrition so greatly? We are only a small group of people who love our parents. We are appalled at how Holiday Retirement and The Grande are knowingly not correcting these issues. This should not be happening. We beg of you to help us to help The Grande’s precious residents have a secure, nutritional and healthy lifestyle. Please.

Nice Staff

[removed] I have only been here for three weeks now. The staff members so far have all been nice to me. Everyone treats me just fine, I have no regrets on that.

A Wonderful Place for Mom

The Grande has changed my moms entire outlook and has made her more independent. I and my brother are very happy with the entire staff. Everyone is very pleasant and helpful and considerate of all the residents. My mom is in independent living and it is the Best place for her. She is very happy there and has made a lot of friends and does more now than she ever did before. We tell everyone about The Grande. Great job to all....

positive experience

The initial experience was wonderful. However, they then had some staff leave which led to issues with transportation. They promised to take my grandmother to see her sister nearby once a week. In two months she has been once.

That said, the overall experience has been a very positive one.

To Whom It May Concern

I am happy so far with my experience for my 85 year old friend, Anna Picheta. However, she is German, from Germany and it's hard for her to be outgoing to adjust to this new surroundings. I hope that she will do so. She is Glucose intolerant and we have spoken to the chef/cook and also to the staff about this food allergy, but so far, they have not made any provisions for her and they told us that they would before she moved in.

Couldnt be Happier

Needed to help my neighbor find assistance and Nursing home kept coming into mind. Once I walked into the grand I knew this was the furthest thing from a nursing home. Apartments are beautiful and the place is spotless. since moving my friend in she has done a complete turn around. Gained weight and her Dr is so impressed with her health. I call to take her out and she is never in her aprtment. I kind of feel like she is too busy for me but I love that she is HAPPY.

Highly Recommend!

I placed my mother at the Grande earlier this month. Right from the beginning I found the staff to be willing to help and make mom feel right at home. Mom has really been enjoying the activities and says she is enjoyng the food choices too.

Mom seems to be flourishing since she started living at the Grande. I no longer have to worry about her well being. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Great name for a great place.

Going Downhill

I am having a lot of problems with them. When I took my mom there, I was told that there was an RN during the day, but she is not an RN, she is an LPN, but technically she is not even an LPN because she hasn't sat before the board. There have been several med errors; she fell and ended up in the hospital, and they didn't notify me of anything. Two different times she went without medication for the majority of the day. The so called head nurse is not head of anything. Since the new company took over it has pretty much gone to hell. I talked with the lady at the Medicaid office, and she really didn't like what she saw when they inspected the place. They are sending their top nurses out to do another evaluation. I am really upset. It is a beautiful place and in the beginning they were doing really good and the food was wonderful. Now she get to choose between a turkey or ham sandwich.

Enjoyed visiting and lunch,...

Enjoyed visiting and lunch, but again beyond income.

Are you ready to live life your way? Without the worries of homeownership or chores, residents of The Grande find that their time is freed up to do exactly as they please, each and every day. With fun opportunities available, life-enhancing programs and activities and care available around the clock, residents have not only peace of mind but also the ability to pursue passions, make new friends and live a lifestyle that truly WOWS!