The Gardens Independent Living/Segoe Gardens - Madison, WI

"Upsizing" to your new apartment in The Gardens Independent Living Community gives you more time and more space to enjoy your family and friends. You'll become part of the vibrant Hillfarms Neighborhood on Madison's near west side that includes the Hilldale Shopping Mall, Target, US Post Office, restaurants, cinema and grocery stores.

When you move to The Gardens, our staff works closely with you to make sure you remain as independent as possible while also paying close attention to your safety, health and well-being. If the need arises, you can remain in your private apartment while receiving additional care through our Independence Plus Care Program.

Adjacent to our building is Segoe Gardens, our state-licensed assisted living community. Our trained Community Based Residential Facility (CBRF) staff works closely with you and your family to help you select the best level of individualized care.

A great place!

My loved one lived here for a while and was very comfortable. She lived on the independent side but when she needed Assisted living, she chose another community. She did not like that in the assisted living part of this community, they had shared bathrooms and the rooms were very small.

We are all very happy with The Gardens.

We are all very happy with The Gardens. Dad loves the food, and mom usually likes it. They are having a difficult time with the telephone service, there is a lot of static, and it is difficult to hear, they are working on getting it fixed. The staff has been great and it's very clean. We are very pleased with them.

It's a very nice place, I am just not there yet.

It's a very nice place, a room picked out and everything. After thinking about it, you have three meals a day, but I don't eat on schedule everyday. For me it was a lot more expensive, and structured than what I needed, or would enjoy. It's a very nice place though.

Affordable Independent Living

There are many activities available. It is small and feels more connected with people because of the size. The location is really good. The rooms are older, 1970's, but it isn't anything that is horrible. It could use an upgrade. They provide one meal and we added a lunch that wasn't included. The meals are a little more expensive than what I would expect at a senior building. One thing that threw us off is that you really cannot break the lease. You are committed even with a doctor's note because they want you to go to their onsite assisted living. They don't take Medicaid and the assisted portion is significantly more expensive than the independent portion. They weren't upfront at first about this with us.

The monthly fee includes...

The monthly fee includes: all utilities, around-the-clock staffing, three meals daily, medication management, housekeeping, assistance with personal care, daily activities, alarmed doors for security and satellite TV. Not clear if dinner meals are provided Sat/Sun.

Good fit for my Mom

I am very pleased with the choice of Segoe Gardens for my mother's residence. She's 88 and was relocating from Michigan where her support system was failing. She was living in her own home but was having trouble keeping it up. Her new apartment is a great size for her needs and capabilities. She also has very low vision and the people at The Gardens are very accommodating to have her feel comfortable and keep her independence. She was lucky enough to secure an apartment that is close to their dining area, and she can step out of her living room into their gardens, one of her great joys in life. I'm also thrilled to have her in a place where she can socialize with other seniors and not feel isolated and alone. It has made her move to Madison much, much easier.

Nice facility. The director was very...

Nice facility. The director was very helpful.