Willow Pointe Assisted Living & Memory Care - Verona, WI

Nice complex and it looks to be a very vibrant community to live in. My next step is comparing notes of the places I've seen and determine the best fit for our situation. Wonderful staff and information packet...Thanks for the tour!

Reality is different from appearance

There are some talented and caring staff at the Memory Care unit but they do not have strong management, which leads to miscommunication and individuals making their own decisions. it also makes it difficult for the family to know who to work with. It was rare to see the Director. The sales person was removed from any interaction once we moved in. When my father returned to this facility after a hospital stay and with explicit instructions to have meals in his rooms, the morning staff had him walk to the main dining room (not the staff person's fault because nothing about the post hospital discharge instructions were shared, despite a 45 minute meeting with the Willow Pointe nursing staff).

There is a robust calendar of activities, but there were rarely any activities - maybe an activity offered once per week. Residents watched TV and went into their rooms. Individual schedules weren't always respected, my father would routinely be woken from a deep sleep to be given a shower, which usually didn't go well as he was confused and exhausted.

We had a number of issues that were difficult to resolve including ants in my father's room (ants were inside his water mug, crawling on him as he napped) and other resident rooms, toilet was leaking on floor for over a week, and a thermostat/heating unit in his bedroom that kept the temperature too high (over 80 degrees) for the first week.

I think the food was excellent but sometimes they ran out. Snacks were almost never provided. The layout of the building is really conducive to residents being able to easily step out of their room and be in a common area with some people. It is also helpful for visitors to have several different options for sitting and conversation with my father.

There were staff level employees with experience, skills and an interest in the residents. There were also staff who were on their cellphones or plugged in their headphones to listen to music, rather than interact with residents. We moved my father out of the facility due to the many other issues that were not effectively resolved by the management.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you so much for your feedback. At Willow Pointe, like at all Five Star communities, we strive to deliver the best possible care to all of our residents. In order to do so we hold all our staff to the highest standards of integrity, quality care, and compassion. I am the Regional Director of Operations and would like to speak with you about your experiences. We take all feedback very seriously and use it to help us continue to improve. You may contact me through the community -- simply ask to speak to the Regional Director of Operations. Kind regards, Nancy.

Review of Willow Pointe

Our mom has been a resident at Willow Pointe for two years and she is very happy. Her apartment is perfect. She has been pleased with her care. Lots of activities keep her busy. She feels so safe and secure. Makes family feel so good to know that she is getting the care she needs. Great job!

Needs to be updated

The staff here were very nice and they did a very good job with our tour, they took their time showing us around and they answered our questions. Mom and I felt that the community was somewhat outdated and it had an odd order. The rooms were not at all what mom was looking for and she knew that she was not going to be a good fit here.

Here your loved one will be given 3 meals a day, medications, and a weekly shower, if your lucky they might do a bit of laundry. One of the nurses is very rude and snotty. Did not have my family member here more than a year thankfully.

Five Star Reviews

As the Executive Director at Willow Pointe, I assure you that it is our goal to exceed the expectations of our residents, families and guests. I was sorry to read this was not your experience. We take pride in the quality care and comfort we provide and for the many happy residents and families we serve at Willow Pointe. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your specific observations as we are always looking for ways to listen and improve.

There are better options available for your parent

The quality of Willow Pointe has gone downhill since five star bought it in 2013. They have cut back on staff and they rarely have time to pass medications and tend to all the other needs of the residents. Many employees have to work 12-18 hour shifts.

Anytime someone complains about the food or any other issue, they get told that they can just move out if they don't like it. Many residents are making their own meals in their room or going out to eat. Lots of food goes to waste because it is too salty, too greasy, or not cooked well. I think they buy the cheapest food available.

The nurse is really nice and works many long hours and weekends.

Willow Pointe continues to get worse and no matter how many surveys get filled out, nothing ever gets fixed.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about Willow Pointe. We do meet the state regulations for staffing and as a company and a senior living community strive to exceed what is required, but like all senior living communities know that some staff turnover is inevitable. Since our team members are our most valuable asset we offer a comprehensive benefits package, including tuition assistance for our team members working toward degrees.

We know that the dining experience is a very important aspect of life at Willow Pointe so we endeavor to accommodate the food preferences and tastes of our residents, and we're sorry to read that your experience has not been positive. Please contact us so we can arrange a tour of the kitchens, have you speak with the head of our dining services and spend some time with you to address all of your concerns with the care and attention that they deserve.

Untrained Staff

This is not a place for anyone to place a loved one unless the loved one has no health issues and can completely take care of themselves. One of the residents who is diabetic became incoherent and was vomiting. For those who aren't familiar with diabetes, this means their sugars were dangerously high. Each time this happens, damage is being done to organs. This is an emergency situation and must be addressed by hospital staff. The staff recognized this at 6am when this resident fell and didn't call 911 until they spoke with a family member who stressed this is an emergency (this has happened before so they should be aware that this is an emergency).

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your input, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Willow Pointe and all other Five Star Senior Living communities strive to deliver highest quality of care to our residents and hold our staff only to the highest standards of hospitality and service. Our staff is trained to follow all industry protocols and procedures and is held to the highest standards of care and safety. We treat every situation like this very seriously, so we kindly ask you to call our Gold Star Service line [removed], provide us with more details so we can follow up with an investigation.

Willow Pointe Assisted Living

This review pertains to the assisted living facility (memory care is also offered). This facility was taken over by a corporation in fall of 2013. Since then, the building was remodeled somewhat and brought into compliance with safety features to prevent wanderers. The rooms are a reasonable size, and the meals are provided by Sysco systems.

The facility is not well designed for people with mobility issues and there is only one small elevator centrally located at the center of two wings (three floors). Thus, there are heavy congestion points on each floor at meal times that delays in calls from residents. Like many facilities, WP was designed with a much more independent client in mind.

The quality of care varies from day to day and sometimes shift to shift. The night shift is apparently a difficult shift to staff in many facilities and the staffers vary in skill and tolerance. AT WP, Meds were not always dispensed or accounted for (doses were sometimes skipped or delayed). Responses to calls from residents also varied. Sometimes staff came quickly; sometimes, not at all. More than once I was followed to the parking lot so the staffer could cancel a call signal, despite the fact that no one had responded to it earlier. Meal times are generally pleasant, but some residents were overlooked at times and not fed until they protested. Many of these problems apparently stem from understaffing or lack of coordination among scheduled staff. Also, there seemed to be a huge turnover within one year.

The activities vary according to the personality of the facilities coordinator. Most days the activities were lackluster; however, after a long period of time, the facility added a transport bus to take some residents on field trips, though it is unclear how regularly scheduled these will be and WP does not appear to be offering personal drop-off/pick-up service.

Communication with the facility is hit or miss. Sometimes responses are prompt, but more often they are delayed and sometimes not addressed at all. The coordination between the staff nurse and management unclear, which I believe can pose a danger to a resident, whose behaviors may be directly connected to the meds they receive and the behaviors they exhibit.

The monthly costs are slightly below competitors and the facility will accept Medicaid (or the WI equivalent) if a resident exhausts financial resources while residing there (though this may have changed). Overall, this is an adequate facility that is reasonably priced, but if you allow your loved one to live there, be vigilant!

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Willow Pointe Assisted Living and Memory Care. I apologize for the experience you and your loved one had at our community. Willow Pointe is committed to providing the more value we can without compromising the care of our residents need and demand. Willow Pointe was built about fourteen years ago, when the Assisted Living industry served a population with less acuity. I understand your concerns regarding our elevator that our 2nd and 3rd floor residents primarily utilize throughout the day. Willow Pointe strives to offer excellent care 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. I would like to spend some time with you to address your concerns regarding any shift-specific issues or concerns you had with our care staff and activity program. My door is always open so please contact me to share your input or suggestions regarding your visit or your loved one’s stay at Willow Pointe. The health, happiness and satisfaction of all our residents and families, past and present, are very important to me and our team. Katie Rasmussen,
Executive Director,
Willow Pointe Assisted Living & Memory Care

I really liked the apartmen...

I really liked the apartment rooms, and it was all very clean. I like that they cater to all stages of life, so if care became more my mom wouldn't have to move. The director was very nice an informative, though the staff I saw seemed uninterested.

Five Star Reviews

We appreciate your feedback as we endeavor to exceed the expectations of all we serve. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our apartments and the care services that we provide here at Willow Pointe. I am sorry you felt as if some of the staff seemed disinterested and I would welcome more feedback if you would like to speak in person or over the phone. Thank you for your consideration.

Katie Rasmussen
Executive Director
Willow Pointe Assisted Living & Memory Care

Great Value for Assisted Living Apt. with actual assistance

Willow Pointe has been an excellent choice my mother. She needed more help after breaking her hip, having surgery, and going through rehab. Willow Pointe offers four tiers of service, while allowing the resident to live in an apartment. The apartments are lovely. Staff is friendly and helpful, sometimes too helpful. They need to have my mother do more on her own. I suspect it is a time thing. I like the high school students who are working as CNAs. They are very friendly and seemed dedicated. Sometimes, I think it is hard to keep up with who is who with new staff starting--not sure what can be done about that. Activities are great, with a wonderful director. She really works to get residents involved. It would be nice to have activities on the weekend as well--maybe a volunteer coming in and helping could work. Head nurse is excellent as is the director. All are friendly and responsive. I really like that it is close to my home, so I can visit often.

Nothing makes this worth ...

Nothing makes this worth the 9 mile drive. would prefer Avalon over this place.

Willow Pointe is an assisted living community in Verona, Wisconsin that caters to assisted living, memory care, respite care and short-term stays. Residents have the option of a one or two bedroom unit, ranging from 539 square feet to 788 square feet.The assisted living option is ideal for people who can no longer live alone but don’t need medical care. These residents are offered help with bathing and dressing if they need it, transportation to appointments when necessary and medication reminders. Residents who need memory care are under constant security by a 24/7 staff who makes sure the residents are safe.