Artisan Senior Living Middleton - Middleton, WI

After speaking with [name removed] for several minutes at the start of our tour, we quickly agreed it would not be a good fit for my dad. It seems Artisan is pretty specifically for memory care patients, which my dad is not. The population is also much older and it does not seem to offer the level of care and activities we would want for my dad. The facility was clean and the staff seemed friendly; however, they were a little unorganized and didn't seem to be expecting me.

My visit

This looked like a very nice community when I visited.The people I met were nice and knowledgable. They seem to offer some nice activities. The community we chose had the larger room we were looking for.

Nice staff members stretched thin

The building itself is somewhat old but well maintained. The common rooms are clean, with lots of comfortable pieces of furniture, TVs for the residents to watch, even some bookshelves in certain areas.

There does not seem to be enough staff members working there though. I have been there many times visiting my mother, only to find that there are *no* staff members currently in the resident area, they are instead in some office/kitchen/whatever, and will only come out running if a door alarm goes off indicating that a resident is trying to get outside.

As for activities, I have been visiting my mother several times a week for over six months, and only *once* have I showed up to find my mother engaged in some sort of group activity; all the other times, my mom is just sitting in a common area watching TV or looking out the window.

I was also told when first choosing a place for my mom that Artisan would take the residents on "field trips" to places like Olbrich botanical gardens. I have never seen that happen.

Finally, communication seems to be lacking. I have heard one thing from the head nurse, only to hear a different thing from one of the actual caregivers for my Mom. Evening staff doesn't seem to communicate well with daytime staff.

tl,dr; Nice facility and staff, but they are stretched thin and don't seem to communicate well.

Helpful Staff!!!

I have no complaints on how things are going for my dad since he made the move into this community. The staff have been very helpful with the transition and I am comfortable with the care they have been providing him. Overall things seem to be going well and he is enjoying himself since he made the move. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Go on a tour and see for yourself!

We think this place really nice. The Respite care rooms are awesome! The staff is very welcoming right from the moment we toured. Any question I had were always answered promptly and my messages were always returned! They have lots of activities Bingo Arts & Crafts that my loved one really enjoyed doing. My loved one spent 9 days here for respite care, I loved that he could be there for as long as we needed, no minimums! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone thinking about it!

Nice Facility, Tour went Well

My tour of this community went well. The community was clean, and well-kept from what I saw. The staff was kind, and informative. It was a nice experience, and everything went well overall.

My favorite!

Artisan Senior Living was my favorite from all of the facilities that I toured. The community was clean and well maintained. The staff was all very friendly and welcoming, we will consider it when my husband is ready to make a move.

Great staff!!

The staff at the Artisan Senior Living Middleton take very good care of my mother. They give my mom a lot of attention. I think we made the right choice by choosing this community for my mother. I would recommend this place to anyone, they do a great job.

We toured this community recently for the increased needs of a friend. The large common living area is very nicely done with several seating areas. The dining area is also connected to this area. The rooms are a bit smaller than some other communities we toured but provide enough space. The facility is very clean, the staff very accommodating and kind. We chose this community and so far have not been disappointed. They encourage our friend to partake in the activities and continue to be very helpful and positive.

Did not have a good first impression!!

I don't have any specific complaints about this community there was just nothing I was very impressed with. Everything just seemed sort of okay and It was just not a top choice of some where I would want my father to live.

Visited today and was very pleased. Warm responsive staff, living layout was lovely and homey, easy to navigate with single rooms and private bathrooms - immense help for someone with dementia.

Great Staff!

The staff that offered the tour of Artisan Senior Living Middleton were friendly and courteous. They were very knowledgeable and were able to address all of our concerns. The community was nicely kept and clean throughout.

Great Care.

This is a great place for my mom. She is in great care with the excellent staff that are very helpful and caring to make sure that everything for my mom is going well. The food is very appealing with a good variety. They offer many activities to keep active. This is a great community will excellent care for loved ones.

Nice community.

The community at Artisan Senior Living Middleton is recently updated. They just went through a remodel and have a completely new layout. The community is located close to town making it easy for visits. They have an overall lack of staffing. They could not take on our loved one because they were understaffed. The community has help wanted signs posted outside.

I have been extremely happy with the quality of care at Artisan. The staff has gone out of their way to help our family through a very difficult time. My mother blossomed at Artisan because of the caring staff and she became an artist during a series of art studio sessions with the Artist in Residence. They took some of my mother’s watercolors and had them put on canvas and displayed them at an Art Gallery Night. My mom was so proud. The concierge is extremely friendly and helpful and everyone has been so kind to my mom – who could be a challenge at times. Not every place is perfect, but I could not be more pleased with our experience at Artisan and would recommend this community to anyone looking for a quality place for a parent with memory loss.

Sloppy management. Not recommended because of poor quality of food and CNA's.

I give them a B

This is a lovely building and the staff is very friendly. However, they are short-staffed, but I give them A for effort. Meds are not distributed correctly. And maintenance is poor.

Review of Artisan Senior Living - Middleton, WI

I am very happy under the excellent care of the Artisan. Caregivers are very cheerful, patient, and knowledgeable. I am amazed at their stamina. The art program has given me "new life" and gets better every session. I appreciate the performances by various musicians, and spiritual needs are not ignored as well.

Wonderful memory care residence

I think one of the most important things about Artisan that sets it apart from other facilities is that the core caregivers and leadership team are really wonderful people and they actually care about the residents and their families. I have visited many, many, different memory care facilities- and what I've come to realize is there is no "perfect place"- when you have a parent or grandparent with dementia, it is anything but perfect, or easy, and there are always going to be times when things don't go as planned- it's the nature of the disease. What really matters is making sure your loved one is surrounded by people who truly care about them, and who are going to try their very best to solve problems as they arise while also providing compassionate care- this is what you will find at Artisan.

Mom's Place

There comes a time in some of our lives that you have to look for a place either for both or one of your parents. When this time came we looked at several different facilities and although this is a difficult decision, we were happy to say we found Artisan Senior Living in Middleton, WI was the best place for our Mom. Not every day is perfect, it isn't anywhere you chose, but Artisan strives to meet our Mom's needs as well as our needs as a family. Currently, they have an excellent director, nurse and marketing director on staff. It is important to know your administrative and caretakers so that when you leave you know that your parent(s) will be taken care of and you have peace of mind. You have to learn to speak up when you don't like something as you are the voice for that resident, and you must speak up when there is good things that occur. It is important on both accounts. Again, Artisan Senior Living strives to do a good job, and we as families appreciate it.

poor communication

They have poor communication throughout the staff. They need to improve on it.

Ben Johnsen

I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have a loved one living here or did you just recently tour? If I am correct, I believe you just toured here and I'm sorry you felt our communication was poor. I was out of the country for the last 18 days and was working with several staff members to continue the sales process while maintaining their respective positions as well during this time.
If you would like to revisit or share more about your experience, please give me a call anytime.
Thanks, Ben

They have done pretty well so far.

They have done pretty well so far. I would rate them very highly. Mom really likes the food, I would give that a five as well. They seemed to have a better price than the others I considered. I am happy with them so far.

Nice and Clean!

Seemed like a nice, clean assisted living community.

In my job I serve the senior population so am familiar with several good communities in the area. But none were better suited to my mother in laws care needs more than artisan. She received true TLC there and was more engaged than she had been in a long time.

Too out of the way for us. ...

Too out of the way for us. It smelled like a nursing home...

My loved one moved in this year. This...

My loved one moved in this year. This is the most poorly run facility. The staff are never on the same page and don't care about their clients.
Would NOT recommend Artisan!

So Far, So VERY Good!

Our family member has only been there about one month, but our early impressions are very good! The facility is clean, spacious and nicely appointed. The staff is warm and welcoming; we have observed genuine caring for residents. We are impressed with the variety of activities and services offered. Our family member has adjusted well to brand new surroundings.

inadequate for a person with dementia

My father was a resident at Artisan Middleton II for just under a year. The facility was owned by another company when I chose to place my father there, and was quite good. After the sale, the quality of care began to decline at such a rate that I was forced to make the difficult decision to move him out. Our experience is similar to those of other reviewers: fast staff turnover (which is unacceptable for residents with dementia), chronic understaffing, shockingly poor quality of skilled nursing care, very little in the way of activities, and absolutely NO outside space. My father's health and quality of life have improved dramatically since I moved him to another facility. Our family suffered needlessly for many months because of these serious lapses in the care he was receiving, when we should have been enjoying the last few years we have left with my father. I am writing this in the hopes it will help you avoid the same experience. I urge you to consider your options very carefully before placing your loved one at Artisan Middleton II Memory Care.

Country Club Living

It was just real fancy. It was almost like country club living but my dad was past that point. I think the care would have been good. We just went on a tour with a guy. He was really helpful in talking to us about money and stuff. That was a good experience.

It was a little further away and it was expensive I think they started at 4500 and then add on depending on what his care evaluation was. My dad would have needed a lot of care.

This is over by Mendota Sta...

This is over by Mendota State Park, near Bishops Bay. 47 beds, 5 week menu rotation, activities include cooking opportunities, attendants on-site to assist with feeding if needed. Units are studio apts.

What a wonderful place. An...

What a wonderful place. And Darian is just terrific to work with. Definitely one of our good optins.

My husband had been there since April...

My husband had been there since April. I really like that the director will get back to you. She's very good at connecting with people so that's a positive. There's been a lot of changes with a decrease in staff and a decrease in activities. Especially on the weekends, there's nothing going on and that's a big problem. The staff morale is really going down. They hired more executives and are getting rid of the staff that actually does the work which I don't like. I've addressed this with the director and the marketing manager and they've assured me that they're making things better so we'll see. I'm going to bide my time and wait a little bit longer.

They were good at moving him into a new area that he can have a little more freedom because there were some issues with other patients that were verbally abusive to him.

Age in Place

Artisan was able to offer us different levels of care so that our loved one would not have to move as he progressed. That is one of the main things we were looking for is a place he could be for a very long time and didn't have to move. The marketing person was really nice and they were very responsive. They actually seemed like they wanted us to move in. They returned our calls and provided any information we needed. We would recommend Artisan to anyone.

Mostly positive feedback. ...

Mostly positive feedback. Location slightly less favorable. Good mix of memory care and assisted available.

Very nice but expensive, great locati...

Very nice but expensive, great location, very nice staff.

Pros: Nice people, great for a sm...

Pros: Nice people, great for a small communtiy feeling and clean Cons: No sidewalks or green space, no activity bus or transportation available, not enough social acitivity outside of the complex- Overall, not enough offered for the price.

Very nice atmosphere. Staff very unde...

Very nice atmosphere. Staff very understanding and caring. Large common room. Bright and cheery. Rooms good size. LPNs. RN on call later in day, not always on site. No smell.

Nice. Very homey, would seem more lik...

Nice. Very homey, would seem more like having an apartment and some freedom to Mom. She would not think of it as a nursing home. Liked activities, neighborhoods, neighbors etc

liked Oak Park Place very much.

liked Oak Park Place very much.

Excellent facility - great connection...

Excellent facility - great connection with Director.

Long discussion prior to tour; Vaness...

Long discussion prior to tour; Vanessa spent time talking to potential resident right away to assess best placement option. Very impressed with facility, warm, comfortable, smaller community, relaxing environment. Activities well planned and interactive. All inclusive, with transitional living option. Available.

Artisan Senior Living in Middleton offers quality care through our assisted living and memory care programs. This is a comfortable, relaxed community with a friendly atmosphere and dedicated, 24-hour staff. With the goal of nurturing mind, body, and spirit, Walnut Grove features both structure and routine, designed to give the people who live with us a supportive environment.

Numerous services and amenities are offered at Artisan. Meals are served three times a day, and prepared by a chef shared with a sister facility. The menus are rotated every five weeks--a longer rotation than usual--ensuring more variety in the menu. When residents need a helping hand getting to the dining room, or feeding themselves a meal, care givers are right there to assist.

Another service comes from our dedicated, full-time activity director who organizes a variety of things for our residents to do. Activities, programs and events are tailored to meet the interests and capabilities of the people who live here. Whether it is exercise, games, or cooking club, there are numerous choices to engage you. Perhaps you would prefer to relax in our sun room, or enjoy our aviary, instead!

We accommodate 47 people in a variety of private, single-room studios. This size is great for people who enjoy getting to know others and still appreciate privacy. Many form great and lasting friendships with each other and with our caring staff.