Sylvan Crossings in Westshire Village - Waunakee, WI

Facility seems a bit more chaotic as everything and the gathering areas are all as you walk in. It lead to what seemed to be a louder environment. The rooms were much quieter, and there were other common areas that were much more calm. Overall we did like the facility, however it did not fell as much like "home" as some of the other we toured.

The facility was nice enough, with decently sized room, good closet space and good amenities. It's in a quiet location. My reason for three stars is that I just don't like the always-locked doors. I understand why that's done, but I don't want to put my mother in a place that doesn't allow her easy access to the outdoors.

Care for mom

The care at this community is good for care for my mom. The staff is caring and I like that they keep me informed on her progress. She is happy with the variety of meals. The community is clean and it is good knowing that she is happy here. They offer her a lot of activities with the other residents. We would recommend other families to see this community for the care and the value that is offered here.

Outstanding Care!!

My mom moved into Sylvan Crossings - Westshire about a month ago and I cannot express how happy I am that she is living there. Most importantly she is getting the care she needs, she feels at home there and making new friends and she loves the many activities that are available.

The staff provide exceptional care for my mom and the new Facility Director, [Removed] is doing a great job managing the facility and is a pleasure to work with.

I am so happy my mom is living at Sylvan Crossings - Westshire. It is a blessing.

[Removed]

New Management

It has been a work in progress for us since my mothers move to this community. Since we have been here there has been a change in management, but I do feel it was a change for the better. The old management did not follow through on things they promised us. The new management has been kind, and helpful. I feel she is safe, she has a pull cord on if she needs any help. I don't know if I would recommend this community, but things are looking up for us here.

Taking Good Care of My Wife

My wife is being cared for very well at this community. For the most part I'am comfortable with her move here. It is a very nice place, everything is very well maintained. They do a very good job with the cleanliness. I really like the staff. They have been very helpful, and great to work with. I know she is safe, and in good hands. I don't see why I wouldn't recommend this community, it is a nice place.

Great living environment

My family and I are pleased with the support and care being given to our family member. The environment is comfortable and the staff have been caring and helpful. We needed a place that understands the difficulties around advancing dementia and the staff here have worked well with our family member. We have been kept updated and are included in the care planning.

Sylvan Crossings Staff are GREAT!

The staff at Sylvan crossing in Westshire Village are really terrific. They are very helpful and friendly. Our loved one is doing fine since the move to Sylvan Crossings. The community is very well kept and clean. The meals served are decent nothing too special. The location of the community is very far away from family and far from the city. They don't offer transportation to doctors appointments making it very difficult for our family.

My husband and I did not have a good stay at Sylvan!!

The staff very seldom checked on him. The food was horrible. When I asked about living there and if they offered assisted living they said yes. After I was there for a short time I realized the people there had greater needs than myself. There was less socialization and they never addressed my care plan. I would not recommend this community.

A Good Stable Community

Everything is working out very well for my mother here at this community. We are very satisfied with everything they have done for us. It is a good stable community. She has adjusted very well to it. A place for mom was great with all the help they provided. A lovely experience so far.

Unexpected Respite Care

My mother with Dementia was placed there on Respite care, the staff was very understanding and accommodating . They showed compassion and support to the family and my mother during this difficult transition. Their alarm system is very loud and obnoxious. I hope they will definitely look into some other means of alert. Food needs revamping as well. Our concerns or questions seem to be addressed in a appropriate timely manor. Would recommend

Review of Sylvan Crossings in Westshire Village - Waunakee, WI

Very nice clean place. Knowledgeable staff as well

Nice facility, very accommodating.

Sylvan Crossings was very accommodating for us. The facility is very nice. They did offer activities, but my Father-in-law did not participate. My Father-in-law was just not happy there and has since moved back home.

Placement Selection Tour

Was impressed with the facility, very clean and well managed.

The Ups and Downs of Sylvan Crossings

It's always good to start with the positive. My mother enjoys the CNA staff. They listen to her, provide needed assistance when asked, and give her a welcoming feeling. They are warm to her. I believe that the frontline staff in any organization are the ones who know the most, who can either create a welcoming atmosphere or a hostile and/or neglectful one. Sylvan Crossings has a pleasant atmosphere made possible by the CNAs.

The setting is pleasant, as pleasant can be in such an environment. It's clean, has nice and well kept furniture.

Management staff do try to listen to family members and have been helpful during trying and confusing times. We appreciate that.

Areas we believe would benefit the residents if improved. First, the food quality is mediocre and the menu needs more attention. Hot dogs and bologna are made of highly processed meat. Not good when pursuing good healthy eating. Vegetables daily (cooked/uncooked), fruit daily and whole grains help to move food through the GI system. I saw very little of all of these items. Yes, the older one gets the less one tastes their food, but I'm suggesting food that's not only tasteful but healthy. The residents are sedentary thus require fewer carbs. Brown rice vs white rice.

The exercise program has not captured my mother's interest. Partly, I believe, because of the few exercises provided, type of exercises and frequency. Upper body strength is one of the major problems my mother has. There are other ways to gain this beyond the ball toss. If more is being done, it's not being shared with me. Perhaps consider grouping residents of similar physical capabilities. If you do, thanks.

One major complaint is the lack of a variety of activities. I looked at the activity form and was concerned about the type and number of activities available for residents. There are people who may want to engage in other activities but haven't given any feedback on this. Please ask, if it hasn't occurred, yet.

Finally, the buzz from the calling buttons is nerve racking. I'm certain Sylvan has pursued alternatives but that constant noise is grating on people's nerves and could possibly create other behaviors that are not desirable.

I want to thank the staff for working with us and with my mother during the transition. It was a little rocky and we understand that the problem isn't always what it appears to be. Gathering all the data and pursuing the full picture of a problem(s) is indeed a virtue when working with a place like yours.

1st month at Sylvan - Westshire Village Waunakee

Sylvan Crossing in Westshire Village is really in Westport, not Waunakee.
If you have grown up around here you know this area as Westport. This was very confusing to my mother at first.

This is a very nice facility. The residents have a nice walking area outside and sitting area on the porch or under the gazebo. Smoking is also allowed outside. This facility has a number of gathering rooms for residents to congregate and watch TV together.

The staff is very nice and show real care and concern for the residents.

The sign-in setup needs to be changed. They really need one notebook for family and friends to sign in on and another notebook for signing residents out of the facility. As of now this is all in one notebook and is confusing.

Mail – all comes to one place and staff is handing it out. This needs improvement also!
I have seen my mother’s mail not get to the correct location as requested from time to time. Each resident needs their own secure mail box.

Overall it is working out just fine. She receives the care that she needs and is very content at this facility.

For us, Sylvan was the Perfect Fit.

Sylvan in Waunakee was by far the best of three facilities in Dane County that cared for our Mom, who had dementia. Rising prices forced us out of the first, the second had staff that was young, overworked and unguided. Sylvan is small, personal and well-run. It was marginally cheaper than the other facilities, but it surpassed them in providing services that Mom actually needed. The staff genuinely cared about Mom, enough to take the time to coax her into taking a shower if she didn't want to, or to go have lunch in the dining room to socialize a bit. Mom met and interacted with other residents in the living room, a first for her. Mom started to thrive again at Sylvan, which took the family by surprise. Then, when mom's physical health took a nosedive, we received timely weekend and after-hour phone updates from Sylvan staff, followed by hands-on aftercare in her room from people who already knew her when we were afraid that we would have to move her to hospice. Sylvan isn't big or glamorous, but it turned out to be the perfect fit for our family.

Sylvan Crossings in Westshire Village is absolutely charming! Upon touring the facility, we found the outside grounds to be very inviting, safe, and comfortable for the residents to enjoy. The inside of the facility was extremely well maintained, spacious, safe, easily accessible for wheelchairs in all areas, and odor free. The staff were very friendly, engaged with the residents, and the environment was calm with structure. Safety features were visible and easily acknowledged by staff, residents, and visitors. There was an honesty and strong sense of pride and genuine caring that emanated from the contacts who assisted us through our tour. We were very impressed and felt very positive about our experience. We will be making decisions very soon.

It's going okay. They keep it very clean.

It's going okay. They keep it very clean. They try to be accommodating. The food seems to be okay, and I like the location, it's easy for me to visit.

This community was very friendly.

This community was very friendly. This seemed like a place where my mom could stay forever. When I visited, I was not able to be shown specific rooms to see what they were like. I do not remember exactly why we did not choose this community, but overall it was a nice community.

We're incredibly happy. The enthusi...

We're incredibly happy. The enthusiasm and eagerness with which the entire staff there deals with the residents is beyond belief. I never expected that in a nursing care facility.

It's not as sterile as I expected. It's very homey. Jack is very happy.

They're extremely friendly; I would rate them as 6.

I was quite shocked at how reasonable the cost is.

I don't specifically know about activities. He doesn't use recreational facilities there. He's too sick, and he's introverted; doesn't tend to participate in games and such.

They've been very responsive when I've raised a question or concern with them; they've responded immediately.

The location is just down the road from us, and we're there every day.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a safe and happy place for care beyond assisted living.

My 92 year old mother calls this home.

Very caring, professional people. They are the best at communicating with family.

I toured Sylvan Crossing at...

I toured Sylvan Crossing at Westshire Village and was impressed.

Toured with Allan. Had que...

Toured with Allan. Had questions about cable, cancellation policy. Stopped in again on Friday, still no answers. Friend has family member there, noticing some changes recently that were not good. Facility does not appear well kept. 3 rooms avail. Allan called back 9/24 with answers to questions.

We see in each individual their grand potential to live a life of self-respect and integrity. In like manner we lessen your worry as we provide compassionate skilled care that brings a spirit of self-respect into the life of your loved one.

We take our responsibilities seriously at Sylvan Crossings at Creekside Estates. This is why we provide services and amenities that allow your loved one to be physically, mentally and spiritually involved in activities and relationships.

Sylvan Crossings at Creekside Estates has private spacious rooms that can be decorated according to personal taste, along with a private bath and a large closet. We have 24 hour available staff, a personal response paging system, and a variety of life-enhancing amenities.