Sunrise of Staten Island - Staten Island, NY

Staff and management were very accommodating and helpful. Facility was good.

[Removed]was extremely informative and a pleasure to have as our sales representative. The Sunrise is a very cozy, comfortable and homey place. It has a very welcoming feel and the staff was engaging to the residents. I wouldn’t hesitate to have my dad live there. It is convenient to get to. The cost is on the high side.

Not A Fan Of The Floor Plan

This community was nice however I was not a huge fan of the way the floor plan was setup. The activities room was by the front door so all the residents were gathered in the front of the building when you walked in the door. It almost had the feeling of a nursing home rather than a assisted living community and I knew my dad wouldn't care for that. The staff the ones we met were friendly and nice. We did find the prices we were given were higher than some of the other communities we had looked at. The rooms we had seen were smaller in size than what my parents had now.

Very Accommodating!!

The tour guide made sure we had a great tour of the community. I really liked this community they had many activities to participate in as well as other amenities. The community it self was very nice and updated. We got a complimentary meal and it was very delicious and the presentation of it was good. I would highly recommend a tour of the community.

Sunrise - Staten Island

My father has been a resident since mid-July. The staff is incredibly kind and helpful in getting him to settle in. They said that it would take about a month for him to adjust and they were right. I have found everyone to be very attentive and so kind. The reason that I rated it 4 stars is that because of them having to administer his medications daily, we have to pay $50 per day for "Care" on top
of the $27 per day for his medication administration. He does not really require "Care" other than them maybe cleaning up his shaving abilities (which they haven't been doing like it should be done), so I feel that is lacking. The place is clean, he is happy with his food & does enjoy his table mates. He isn't a participator in the activities but I'm hoping that will Change soon. This facility is very pricey so I'm hoping we can keep him there until his end.

They have been absolutely wonderful.

They have been absolutely wonderful. They take good care of my dad, and they treat him, and everyone there with dignity. Within one day, they had him up on a walker, where the other place we were had him in a corner in a wheelchair.

Pretty place, but

Since this residence accepts non-ambulatory residents, there are many residents that just sit all day. The problem is that there aren't many places for residents to sit. They are either sitting at a meal, sitting in the "cafe", which is basically the same as sitting for a meal, or sitting in a small crowded "living room" in front of a television. There are not enough "common" areas for residents to "hang out". It becomes very boring and monotonous for those that cannot participate in any activities. It is also very noisy since so many people are clustered into these adjacent areas. Also, I found that there is poor communication from one shift to the other or one aide to another about the resident. I have received different information when asking the same questions to different aides who have been with my father. I have also found the wait staff to be abrupt, not patient or kind or warm or friendly. The bathroom on the main level is always dirty and occupied. There isn't enough bathrooms on the main level for all those who are parked there all day.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review and please know that we take all concerns seriously. We would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise; please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details. Thank you, Sunrise Team

took a tour yesterday. lovely place, great staff.... will check back with them when I get my ducks lined up!!!! no Medicaid, only private pay, including Long term care insurance, so I'm ok.

Wonderful staff!

They've done an absolutely fabulous job at Sunrise of Staten Island so far! The people here are absolutely wonderful, and they're always available and happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. My loved one is having a little trouble settling in, but whenever she gets upset or mentions wanting to leave there is always a staff member there with a friendly word for her. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and they do a great job taking care of the people who live here.

Sunrise Meets our Needs

Very friendly and welcoming setting. The staff is well trained. Each administrator and nurse, we work with, tries very hard to meet our Aunt's needs.

Nice place

Overall they did a great job here, although we didn't use them for long before we decided to move our loved one to another state to be closer to family. It was a nice looking community, and the staff were all very friendly. The only complaint I'd have is that they seemed short-staffed.

Overall it was a very good experience.

It was immaculate. They tried to engage all the members of the community in activities. The food could use some more choices, some maybe geared more to the elderly, a lot of people needed help with eating. Overall it was a very good experience. It was better than I expected it be, and very clean. The people definitely cared about the facility and the people. My mom was a little more healthy physically than others there, but they were all mixed together, which can be a little uncomfortable, she was sometimes trying to help the residents at her table. I would definitley recommend it for someone who needs help or assistance. There was a seperate alzheimers floor.

Nice Facility

This was very nice as far as the facility but it was quite a bit more expensive than a Sunrise location in New Jersey. That was a big factor.

My father in law was only there for a...

My father in law was only there for about 2 months and then he died, he was there at a very different stage in his decline. We actually hired our own person to come in and sit with him 24/7 because they aren't staffed for that and we had hospice also but they helped us arrange for that. They were very friendly and the manager on the floor would pop in and check in to say hello and see how things were going.