Summit Place of Southpark - Charlotte, NC

Not a place for my mom. Trash overflowing, receptionist unresponsive and unwilling to help elderly lady looking to have her fingernails trimmed. Residents asleep in hallways and reception area. Very sad environment and quite disappointing.

Five Star Reviews

At Summit Place of South Park it is our intent to exceed the expectations of our residents, families and visitors. I am the Executive Director and was sorry to read during your recent visit you did not feel the warmth and hospitality that we strive to achieve. I would like to invite you back for a another visit, and would like to put you in touch with some of our current families who can speak about their loved one's time at Summit Place. Please contact me directly if you would like to take another tour or if we can be of any help in your search for senior living options for your mom.

Location is always good and the facility is nice. But at 10am, the more I walked down the hall way, the more intense the aroma became. I had checked out this location 2 years ago; with most wheel chair residents just locked down in the hallway, but as a functional father - I don't think this is the place.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and I am sincerely interested in your comments. Our goal is to provide a warm and inviting residence and I am sorry you did not feel that during your recent visit. I would be delighted to connect you with residents and family members who can tell you about their experience at our community. Our award winning Lifestyle 360 wellness program is based on the five dimensions of wellness. This program is designed to focus on the intellectual, social, physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of our residents at any level of mobility. Please accept my invitation for you and your father to experience our community again. You are welcome to dine with us and participate in a few Lifestyle 360 activities. We wish you the best as you look at senior living options.

Lovely, but Did Not Suit Our Needs

I toured Summit Place on behalf of my father. Generally, I liked it. I really liked [Removed], the woman who showed us around. She seemed very caring. She was constantly engaging with staff and residents throughout the tour, and was really knowledgeable. If there was anyone who had a need, she made sure to make others aware so the problem could be solved. I thought that the rooms were fine, the facility was lovely, and I liked that they had large windows to let in lots of light. However, the only room that was available for us at the time was a double room in memory care, and I just wasn’t sure dad was ready for that yet.

Nice Tour, No Problems

I had a pleasant tour of this community. It is a nice facility with kind people. Everyone was kind, and friendly to my family, and I. It is a nice looking community, everything looked nice, and clean. The staff was polite, and helpful. The experience was a nice one, and I did not have any problems with my tour of this community.

A tour for care for dad

We toured this community. We liked that they had more care takers which we liked. The director was very helpful. They do have good activities. We did not want a shared room. We would recommend this community for good care. The meals are appealing. I like knowing that the staff cares about my father. I would recommend this community for other families.

Not impressed

I was not impressed with the atmosphere here it felt more like a hospital/institutional setting rather than a "community". My tour was down well and they took their time showing me around I just did not feel that this was going to be a good fit for my mother.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and want to thank you for taking time to provide feedback from your recent tour. I am glad you found the tour informative, but was sorry to hear you didn't think it would be a good fit for your mother. To reassure you of our care and hospitality we invite you and your mother to come dine with us and meet some of our wonderful residents, and I would be delighted to connect you with family members who can tell you about their experience at our community. Please contact me at the community if we can be of further assistance as you explore senior living options.

Review after 5 weeks of living at Summit Place

This has been a hard move for a 98 year old person but the
people working at Summit Place have been caring and
attentive. Mom feels safe and enjoys her new room. I would
recommend Summit Place to anyone looking for a home for
their loved ones needing assisted living options.

very poor

My mother was there for almost 3 weeks .the managment is very poor . Waited 5 days before mums shower and clothes washing days were told to nurses.Dining room is terrible ,food is barely edible .Staff couldnt not get mums wine to her on daily basis.Mum was left in her room while singing was going on down stairs . mum was never given liquids until we demanded they put notices in room .the bookeeper did not cash cheque for almost 2 weeks said she would try.Never have i seen a place so poorly managed . Then as we are living 2 employees said best thing you could do is get her out of here !!

Five Star Reviews

Thank you so much, we really appreciate your input. Summit Place of Southpark and other Five Star Senior Living communities have been striving to deliver quality care to all of our residents on a regular basis. We also strive to redefine the dining experience in the industry, our goal has been to provide our residents options – from decadent comfort food to healthy choices. We take great pride in our dinning staff and the menus offered, if the service has not been meeting your expectations, please reach out to our Food and Dinning director and voice your suggestions, we will make sure they get addressed. Moreover, we strive to deliver quality care and finest hospitality experience to all our residents and we hold our staff to such high standards as well. With that being said we are always looking for ways to improve, you can always call our toll-free GOLD Customer Service line and we will ensure your concerns are heard: [removed].

What really matters

The staff is friendly and caring. The level of care from the staff is good. The facility is clean and well maintained. The nurse in charge on the floor is very difficult to get a hold of and rarely returns phone calls and often forgets to schedule transportation. The food is awful! Poor quality, often run out of the staples and the menus use too much canned or processed food. Complaints have done nothing. It would be hard to make a move due to the age of my parents so we try to work toward improvements.
Activities are ok but need to focus on the male population.

dining and wait staff at this facility are horrible

At Summit Place of Southpark I think the admin staff is awesome. The nursing and med techs are awesome and fabulous too. The dining and wait staff at this facility are horrible. They are rude and have no patients for the residents that are medically not in good shape. It is just a wreck. I am not sure if they outsource that area but something needs to change.

This place was in our top two. There appeared to be all kinds of activities going on. Nice facility. Residents like the facility and it was reasonbly priced. We allowed [my loved one] to make the final decision based upon comfort.

We are happy with them so far.

We are happy with them so far. My only comment would be if your loved one is accustomed to dining at a particular hour, and doesn't want to go down at mealtime, they will wait and bring it up after the rest of the meal, which is not something I even thought to ask about, and she does sometimes say that when she gets it it's cold. It's still hasn't been very long, so I'm not sure how smooth the billing will be yet. We like the location and the quality of the place.

Summit Place of Southpark is a great community. The staff are nice and friendly. The place is up to date and always clean. If I have a concern with my loved one their then I can go the the director or nurse and they reassure or help figure out the problem which is awesome.

Nice place overall

Overall I think they do a good job at Summit Place, although there are a few ways I'd like to see them improve. The facility itself is always well kept and clean, and the staff are friendly and accommodating. They could improve the quality of the food, however. I also think the nursing staff could be a bit more attentive.

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you so much for taking your time to offer us your feedback. This is an invaluable element in our continual pursuit of excellence, and we welcome the opportunity to improve your experience at Summit Place of Southpark.
I would love to have an opportunity to meet with you personally to discuss your concerns and how we can ensure that your Five Star experience is a stellar one. Rich Lyon, Summit Place of South Park.

Very impressed with this fa...

Very impressed with this facility which was the one we chose. Positive factors that led to the decision included the design and layout of the apartments and the overall building, management and staff, the dining facility was a positive particularly the quality of the food and the 'anytime dining' option that is available. Location was also an important factor.

A nice place

Overall my father has done well here. The people are nice and attentive. He has had some belongings disappear (3 rings and a bedspread) that have never been located. This happened within the first few weeks he was there. It was reported and nothing else has gone missing. I suppose that could happen anywhere. However, at his request I did remove his jewelry from the residence
His main complaint is that he has to take an elevator down to the dining room. This is difficult because he is in a wheelchair. No one routinely helps him. So far he has managed this task reasonably well but it is taxing.
His room is bright. He is able to adjust the temperature to his liking.
His clothes are washed regularly and put away for him.
I am kept informed of any changes in his condition.

We toured this prior to cho...

We toured this prior to choosing Atria Merrywood and really did not care for the atmosphere.

Five Star Reviews

“Thank you for your feedback. We value your input and share your concern. To better serve you, we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience. Our dedicated staff is committed to providing the utmost care and services to all residents. Your feedback helps us identify areas of opportunity for us to focus on as we strive to uphold and improve the quality of standards that each resident deserves. We thank you for allowing us the opportunity to continue to serve you and your loved one.”

-Mark Kane
Executive Director

Great Assisted Living option

Summit Place staff really went out of their way to rush the admission of my family member and they were very supportive during the transition. My family member is very happy living here.

Misrepresenting Capabilities

My mother relocated to Summit Place from Atria Merrywood following a surgery. She was quite disabled; she couldn't stand or move herself in a wheelchair. She could not feed herself very well or at all at times. Hospice was contacted and they took her on as a client there. Summit assured me that her condition was well within their scope of services. Within days it was clear they could not handle a resident in her condition. After only two or three days I arranged to move her to Sardis Oaks where she died six weeks later. Sardis Oaks was far superior for a person in her condition, and Summit either misrepresented their capabilities or failed to diagnose my mother's condition properly.

For a mobile person, Summit appeared to be a good place, but for a mobile person I would recommend Atria Merrywood where my mother lived happily for five years.

I would reccommend them to anybody.

Summit place has been wonderful! From the people in marketing, to the people in billing, the CNA's, and the med techs. I love them all! I would reccommend them to anybody. They really cared about her. The room was wonderful. It was like a home. It was the best deal for the money. They had a chef with a chefs coat, he even made the pureed food taste and look good. He had incredible gormet type menus. I just can't say enough good things about them.

Good choice

After six years in an independent living facility, it became obvious that my 95 1/2 year old mother could no longer care for herself with help. We toured several facilities and were fortunate to run into two friends whose mothers were at Summit. Their personal experiences definitely helped us make the decision.

It actually was less expensive to move mom into assisted living than to pay for independent living and Home Instead aides checking on her twice a day.

The staff are extremely helpful, friendly and professional. My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that the food is not as good as the independent living facility. I eat there several times a month.

Five Star Reviews

I value and appreciate this feedback and as the Executive Director of this community you have my undeviating commitment to continually seek ways to improve all aspects of the business, including our dining program. The community is currently making changes to the menu and continues to focus on food quality, presentation and taste. Our new Food & Beverage Director is a 26 year veteran that strives daily to satisfy the needs and special requests of every Resident or Guest.

Mark Kane, Executive Director

Welcome to Summit Place of Southpark Assisted Living and Memory Care Community located in the Southpark area of Charlotte, North Carolina. The moment you walk in to Summit Place you become a part of our family. Relax in a cozy chair, shop the nearby stores or enjoy one of our many stimulating activities with new friends.

ASSISTED LIVING: Summit Place of Southpark is designed for senior adults who wish to maintain their independent lifestyle but may need some additional assistance to do so. Our program is based on a detailed care plan that we design for each resident which is then updated frequently as needs change. Whether you need help with medications, bathing, dressing, laundry or housekeeping we will be there for you.

BRIDGE TO REDISCOVERY: Summit Place offers an innovative memory care program which takes a Montessori-style approach to treating memory care residents. Through hands-on and personalized activities, we encourage creativity and self-expression. It is this approach that inspired us to put a Memory Box outside each resident's room as a reminder of the special events in their lives and the people who love them.