Sterling Estates Senior Living Community - Marietta, GA

Wonderful assisted living!

My mother lives at Sterling Estates and is very comfortable and happy. We have been very impressed and pleased with the care and services that she receives. From our initial contact, tour, and move in the staff have been helpful, considerate, professional and caring about the family and my mother. The facility is kept in great condition. The staff members are competent and pleasant. We highly recommend this assisted living facility.

There is so much wrong with this place!

My husband and I spent several months here before moving to a much better place. The facility has lovely landscaping and pretty common rooms, but it is poorly run. The rooms are so small it feels like you are living in a closet. If you like high school cafeteria food, this is your kind of place. You can arrive 15 minutes before the "published" serving time and still sit there for 45 minutes or more before you are served. There were many times we got tired of waiting and got up and left to go to a restaurant. Sometimes the food was so bad, we just couldn't force it down. The chef told the residents in a meeting that he was not allowed to use butter, and the owner's son in law told us it was against state law. Thank God we can still drive! I feel really sorry for the people who can't and are stuck there. The activities are geared mostly toward women. Decorating hats for Easter and making jewelry just doesn't do it for the guys. And bingo and jigsaw puzzles are the norm. And movies and music that are from decades ago. I felt like I was stuck in a time warp. The director and owners put on a real friendly show when they are trying to get you to move in. After move in, it's a different story. We were called names, treated with disrespect, and told that they only wanted "happy" people here. There was a jewelry theft while we were there that is still unresolved. The owner said they had asked people who were not happy to leave. Think twice about putting your loved ones here if they can't remember what was said 15 minutes ago. They simply have to endure what goes on here because they don't know how to complain. THEY ARE NOT CAPABLE OF TELLING YOU WHAT GOES ON. I have seen residents here who are unable to live by themselves, but their children who put them here have no idea what they are getting. There is no memory care here, but there are plenty of residents who are suffering from dementia. One of them was allowed to stay for months in spite of hallucinating about someone trying to break in her two story room and knocking on other resident's doors at midnight asking for help. She called 911 twenty two times in one month alone. We witnessed another resident come out of her room without her blouse on headed to the dining room before someone guided her back to her room. There is a resident's council, but it is totally ineffective and run by the staff, not the residents. It is essentially a venting session that never results in much change. I was told by other residents who were there before we arrived that the request for deflectors on the air conditioning vents in the dining room was made over a year ago. They have still not installed these, even though residents complain frequently about being too cold on one entire section of the room. The seating policy is "sit where you like," but if you try to sit at some tables where residents have already established their friendships, you will be told to go find another seat, even though there are empty seats at the table. We have now moved to another facility where we are very happy. But Sterling is refusing to send requested medical information to our insurance company and held one entire month's worth of mail. They are retaliating against us because we wrote a negative review on another website. Notice that there are other negative reviews on this site! Pay close attention. Don't just look at the advertising or listen to the sales pitch. You will be guided to talk to the residents who will never say anything negative about the facility. So many families are putting their loved ones in facilities without knowing what they are really like. Just because we're old doesn't mean we're stupid or don't need good food or interesting activities to keep us mentally stimulated. And I don't like being called "sweetie" or "honey". We have names. I hope this information will be helpful to those of you going through the very difficult process of searching for "that special place" for your parents, your friends, or yourself.

A Tour That Was Okay

This is a newer, larger community. My tour guide was on time and informative. During the tour it seemed that people with more difficulty weer not able to live here. The staff were unable to adjust medication as per doctor orders, only pre-filled medications. I also did not like there was no 24-hour nurse.

Still very happy!

Our mother has been at Sterling Estates for almost 2 years, and she is still very happy with all that Sterling has to offer. The food is still great and the staff couldn't be nicer. My mom recently injured her foot and has required more care than usual. She has been very pleased with the level of care provided by the aides. Everyone at Sterling is super nice and they bend over backwards to please the residents. We are so happy my mom found such a great place to live.

It's All Show and No Go

[removed] It's all show. I found this place online and I liked the fact that it had therapy, and that is great. But they promised a lot and did not follow through with everything. I am ready to leave. All the beauty of the place is just a front. I am very disappointed.

Continually disappointed

I wish my mom loved it and I wished we loved it. But we don't and we are looking for another place. The facilities... this place is a country club... beautifully decorated, great food, clean. They have great activites. It really is beautiful. The care itself is very very poor. They never have enough help. My mom has been there one full year and they have been through three different head RNs (The RN oversees all care--- everyone else does not have any official medical training) My mom is on a lot of medication and is not an easy client but we pay the top level of care... over $[price removed] in addition to the high room and board, and she constantly is running out of her medications-- these should be on autorefill and never be out. There are times when she can't make it to the dinning room because of the medications and they often do not bring her a meal. The companions that come to help you in the morning get your medications, etc., are the same ones that serve the meals so there is NEVER EVER EVER enough help. My family has tried to work with the management team there to address these issues and no solution has worked. I'm talking about emails, meetings, friendly suggestions about how to improve the service... nothing has worked. They don't follow through with the action plan. We are in the process of hiring an outside helper to come in the mornings for a few hours to get her breakfast and lunch and help with her shower and just troubleshooting all the issues. I'm sorry to say we are looking for another place. If your loved one needs a high level of "assistance" for the "assisted living" I would not recommend Sterling. If they are able to live very independently, this would be a great place.

Very nice place

Our experience with Sterling Estates has been a very good one. The staff here is friendly and professional, and they've done an excellent job taking care of my loved one. I would recommend them to anyone looking into care in the area.

Still loving Sterling Estates

My mother is very happy with the staff, food and activities.

So Happy!

My mom is so happy and can't say enough about how efficient and caring the staff are. The food is great and she really likes the people. She liked where she lived before in independent living, but needed to move to assisted living. This is the best of the best! The new, beautiful building won us over, but the caring, wonderful staff, great food and diverse resident population has made my mom really love Sterling Estates in Marietta. Just so you know....my mom is totally engaged and smart as a whip! A Plus........

Right Decision

Where do we start? Melissa listened to our need and from what she had she reommended three Senior Living Communities and even arranged meetings with the centers' administrators. We selected Sterling because it was just the perfect center.

We would recommended a "Place for Mom" for any family searching for the best senior living for their parentants.

They have done a good job.

They have done a good job. I feel like we get our money's worth, the value is good. I really haven't had any concerns so far.