Scarlet Oaks Retirement - Cincinnati, OH

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO !

THE STAFF GOES ABOVE AND BEYOND !
I FEEL MY MOTHER IS GETTING EXCELLENT CARE.
THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO !
REGARDS
[name removed]

Beautiful and Caring

Scarlet Oaks is beautiful, on the inside and out. There is so much history, talent and love within this facility. The staff genuinely care about their residents. They challenge themselves and others to learn and grow everyday.

A great place!!

Ongoing renovations are really starting to sparkle at Scarlet Oaks Retirement Community. The management team that has been in place for awhile are making wonderful and noticeable improvements in all aspects of care.

Recent and ongoing renovations are very nice in the healthcare center. New staff care about the residents and the facility. Very nice setting in a lovely neighborhood.

Don't bother

All of the photos are from the beautiful mansion, NOT the Assisted Living or Nursing wing. The food is sub-standard. This facility has been bought and sold many times over the past several years in an attempt to improve but each time it gets worse. Most of the veteran long term employees have moved on to better jobs. Most of the current staff are overworked as they do not properly fill the positions appropriate for how much care is needed for the residents. Once upon a time this facility was very nice with enough staff to attend to the needs of the residents. No longer. Go take a tour & you will see. Very sad.

The Way It Is

Most of the reviews i have read are really very wrong .For starters Scarlet Oaks is very old and the pictures are mostly taken of an old mansion adjoining the actual health center and retirement community. It is unoccupied except for the chapel and library . There are no pictures of the actual rooms and apartments . Overall the entire place is in very poor repair . most of the windows are so dirty you can hardly see through them .Their are a few cleaner ones that were replaced in 2012 or 2013 Things are only replaced or repaired when someone new moves in ,which is not often their is much dust throughout the place .Carpets are old and worn and wrinkled in high traffic areas . Most of the built in apt air conditioners do not work properly are very out dated ,most of the hallway air conditiones do not work at all. Large pipes exposed and window air conditioners in the tiny bathrooms instead of the rooms of the assisted living area .The blinds in the lounge areas of the assisted living area are very dirty ,broken and do not work along with the very dirty windows , since earley 2015 Their has been a stady stream of positions vacated in management mostly ,leaving large gaps in resident care and oversight . Their ihas not been an activity director or anyone properly seeing to activities since dec.2014 The bus used to take residents shopping has been without air conditioning all summer. Staffing is very poor in all areas , housekeeping is very poor , The dietary dept has no special diet program for any heakth problem and there are many diabetics among residents The food is all brought in as processed food . There is very little access for one with wheelchairs or walkers to get ouyside and walk as there are very few places to walk unless you walk on the road The sidewalk in front of the entrance doorway has large cracks and holes

Be aware of for profit nursinghomes

Be aware of the new management who is only interested in making $$. Since new management has taken over the quality has dropped to nil. There are a few employees who try to make up for the lack of services. The corporation that runs Scarlet Oaks is only out to make money. Platinum Healthcare website is a dummy site. Their main phone number is answered by a machine. The temp help is dismal at best. There are a few employees who try to make it better, but management is very poor, this is a "for profit" facility, they only want the money. Do not put your loved ones in this facility. They are for profit at your loved one's expense. The temporary help (which there are too many of) are useless, especially the night shift. I called to speak with my mother and was put on hold until I hung up 30 minutes later. The change of management has made a great place into a nightmare. Do Not put your loves ones in Scarlet Oaks, especially the skilled nursing side.

Older building, but very friendly staff

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. It was one of the older communities we saw, and it did not seem well maintained. The room they showed us was on the small size, had an in-the-window AC unit, and there were exposed pipes in the bathroom. It just didn't seem like somewhere Mom would be comfortable. That being said, the staff all seemed very friendly and caring.

Great Disapointment!!

I went to S.O. with great hopes. The apartment was spacious and painted to my request. I was told they were in the process of adding many new independent residents. In fact over the year I was there, the numberin IL decreased. A new administrator cut budgets by about a third. Food was poor and had residents (in wheelchairs and walkers) getting food from a buffet using trays. The quality of food greatly decreased. Activities, few to begin with, decreased. The tension built. Overall the organization catered to health care patients and assisted living residents. There were many in the diningroom who were mentally unable to care for themselves and were and were noisey and interfered with the environment. When I left, about a dozen other also fled.

Scarlet Oaks Retirement

Although I do not have personal experience with having a loved one reside at Scarlet Oaks, I do work in the industry and have visited the facility a number of times.

It is always very clean and I am always greeted with a smile by every employee that I encounter.

All of the residents seem extremely happy and appear to feel right at home with their Scarlet Oaks family.

I would recommend this facility as well as consider it for my own loved ones.

Cozy!

Very cozy and home-like. The staff seem very helpful and courteous. The rates are very reasonable compared to other communities in the area. I like that it is very close to the hospitals. There seemed to be many activities as well.

Nice Deal

We looked at Scarlet Oaks and I thought it was quite nice. Considering what they offer it's quite a nice deal. They have a nice program over there but we weren't really that interested in having all our meals there and things so the lady who was showing us around said she had another option. There is a free standing apartment building on the property that had been closed for years but it's reopened and it's nice. It's on the same property but it's not a part of Scarlet Oaks. If push comes to shove and you need a ride to the doctor or something they can usually help out. The staff at Scarlet Oaks is very nice.

I'm Really Impressed!

I'm really impressed with Scarlet Oaks. We did a lot of research and this was definitely the best value. My parents are in independent living so they don't get a lot of care besides the meals. As far as I know those are good. I'm not sure about the housekeeping - I know my mom does her own laundry. They have plenty of activities. We just went to a Halloween spook-tacular event last Friday. I can't think of anything I would ask them improve on. I'm really impressed with the place.

Nursing Care Available

She's no longer in assisted living. She's on the nursing home side now. The care on the nursing side is very good. My mom says the food is pretty good too.

Just Plain Wonderful!

They truly do care about the people who are living there and their family members and they exhibit that every day. The grounds are beautiful, the building is beautiful, the staff helped us move empty boxes while we were moving mother in. They're wonderful and very, very conscientious.

They can go from assisted living all the way through to Alzheimer's care all on the same campus. The facility is built on the grounds of a mansion from 1876 and sits on 38 acres. Mom first moved in in June, she'd had a permanent a month before, and during a phone call with Vivian her mother had had an aide in to help curl her hair prior to her first meeting with the community at large. They have a bathing area for people with special needs and mom had her first bubble bath in years (she's been a seated shower person before this)!

They offer weekly activities, Bingo, chapel services, prayer services, an arts and crafts show came through recently, they do store trips 2x's a week, and have recently purchased a handicapped van for residents needing special accommodations. They take residents to free concerts in the park, it's pretty impressive. Another case in [removed] they had an activity a couple of weeks ago and Cathy Walter, the director, told me that your mother's on the website!

The place was nice, clean, ...

The place was nice, clean, and Kathi was an excellent tour guide. She kept referring to apartments as 'rooms' which as unnerving even though a 'room' may come in the future. We looked at two units, one in the main building - 2 bed, 2 bath with 2 balconies, one screened-in, that included all services and every utility other than Internet and phone, for $2500 a month. The other was int eh 550 building, a 2 bed, 2 bath, no balcony, no services, but all utilities other than Internet and phone, for $1100 a month. That may be our option. We are returning for lunch to sample the food.

The least expensive in Cincinnati

At first I dismissed Scarlet Oaks on account of its low price, but after visiting it twice, I changed my mind. It is not as up-to-date as some places (but as up-to-date as several) and is in the process of renovations. It is also $600-$1000 less than comparable size apartments. My apartment was refurbished to my wishes and is luxurious and large in comparison to others I lived in. The food is not as varied as I've had before but there are specials every day and a menu you can order from rather than the specials. I find the food just fine. There are many [removed] like weekly maid service and clothes washed. Activities are varied and interesting. They've added a dozen new people since I visited and I am hoping for a 'full house' soon.

Catholic Mass, Rosary and Communion. ...

Catholic Mass, Rosary and Communion. Institutional appearance, Stair handrail posts rusted thru, POOR Maintenance. Nicely wooded campus

Vistied yesterday and sister and I bo...

Vistied yesterday and sister and I both really liked. Nice grounds, beautiful setting. very nice, and large rooms. Only concern is the hallway between rooms

Scarlet Oaks Retirement Community is a continuing care retirement community located in the beautiful Gaslight District of Cincinnati, Ohio. Located close to the Ohio River, there are plenty of sites to explore and activities to get involved. The main campus is located adjacent to a breathtaking and historic 1867 Mansion. This is not like any other retirement center; it is full of history and character. The community offers designated parking for residents with a choice of floor plans, transportation assistance, laundry facilities, concierge services, and complimentary cable and Wi-Fi. The skilled nursing facility offers 24-hour nursing care, rehabilitation services, wound care, therapy, and specialized diets for residents. They offer residential care, assisted living and a wide variety of health care services. One of the few facilities that have medical care right on site, this senior center caters to its guests. With dentists, podiatry and audiology just steps away, getting the proper health care is never an issue. This centers philosophy is to provide a loving and caring environment and to ensure that each resident has their needs met. This comfortable living environment allows seniors to stroll in the courtyards and socialize. This facility has a full service bank on-site, as well as a barber and beauty shop. Those who are spiritual will enjoy the weekly chapel services and the social activities that take place. To keep seniors active, there are weekly scheduled recreational outings. Regardless of what the condition or even if there is no immediate medical concern, there is a place for everyone at Scarlet Oaks.