Plaza Village Senior Living - National City, CA

This property did not appeal to my Mom. The building looks like a condo building that was converted to a senior community. Very limited street parking and a Motel 6 abuts up to the property. In a very busy area.

They only have shared rooms available

Nice place but a little more difficult to navigate with a wheel chair.

Home is on various levels that are confusing. Dining room was dark not bright and inviting. Residents share a common area with four other residents. Each has private bath.
Home only accepts self pay

This facility was larger than some of the smaller homes that I had first visited and I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I was greeted by an incredibly friendly staff and it was clear that the staff and the residents were happy here. I really appreciated that they provide a "home-like" environment for the clients and that they provide so many activities. The best part is that they have so many staff present, it gives me a little more comfort to know that my wandering father will always have someone near to guide him and redirect him when he needs it.

This is a wonderful place

The staff gave a wonderful tour of the community. They were very friendly and knowledgeable. The community was beautiful and I think my mother would have done well here. If it wasn't for the distance, it would have been one of our top choices.

Both my sister and I found this facility very nice. The staff's first priority was the guest, their needs and or wants. The building was a Luxury Apartment that didn't seem to take off so was converted into 'Plaza Village Senior Living and Memory Care', the colors both inside and outside as well as the architecture of the building is engaging to the residents, they have a Chef as well as a Dietician in-house so meals are prepared according to guest needs, activities are scheduled thru out the day, daily exercise, outings and personal likes per guest. They do not how ever have an RN on the premises. Rooms were large 3 and 4 bedroom apartments with kitchen and large bathrooms set up for disabled access, each apartment is fully furnished with the exception of each guest bedroom.We enjoyed the tour and rate it a high 4. Thank you [Removed] West

very nice place

The staff is great. My mother has been in a different place and hated that place because they don't offer much activity, but at plaza they have so much more and she said she loves plaza.

[Removed] are very professional and helpful. This facility is very well kept, rooms are very big and bright and all the staff and residents we met were extremely nice. We rate this very high

Unique layout

They had an interesting concept.Every four rooms offered a small family room for that section. The people were very helpful.

Smaller Community

My mom is doing good in this smaller community. The meals have been very good but she would like more activities. They just got their transportation, maybe some outings. The staff are doing good so far with my mom. I would recommend this community to family and friends.

My father's care

This is a great community. The staff is always caring and keep me informed on his progress. The community is clean. My fathers like his own private room and are the own area for privacy. They offer him activities from time to time. We would recommend this community for care of a love with for a good value.

Wonderful Staff!!

I thought the staff have been absolutely amazing to my dad since he has been at this community. They have taken the time to get to know him on a personal level and call him by name. It has really helped the transition into his new living environment go smoothly. He is really liking the meals and slowly getting involved in many of the activities they have to offer, he especially likes the chair exercises they have. Overall we are very pleased with everything.

Wonderful communication and care

We were suggested Plaza Village from A Place for Mom.Their service was very helpful and we have worked with them for years.The staff here is so wonderful and have an open-minded communication. I speak with Elmer often and he was the one who suggested hospice for my mother. He thought it would be beneficial for her to have extra care. Someone is always checking on her every hour and I have many eyes and ears looking out for her. They call me frequently and let me know how things are going. Kelly in the front is always friendly and greets me. We chose Plaza Village because it was so clean and modern.Thing I wish would change is they get through their growing pains and they don't have as many changes in personnel.

Nice place with nice people, but my mother-in-law is not interested in sharing living space with other residents.

Great tour!

My tour of the Plaza Village Senior Living went well. The place was clean and the tour guide was knowledgeable and very friendly. They took me around the building and I did not see anything that needed improvement.

A family environment and atmosphere!!

The staff at this community are top notch. Plaza Village has a small family community type setting. The caregivers are hands on. The food is good and covers all the bases. The first floor is memory care.The second and third floors are for assisted living. This is a nicely kept community. The head of the management goes out of her way to help the residents and their families. Her door is always open. I would recommend this community.

Just the right fit!

Caring, compassion, and expertise make Plaza Village a fitting home in memory care for my husband.

From our initial look to mom's actual move into Plaza, we found the staff extremely friendly, helpful, efficient, practical and flexible. We like the "family" feel of a mid-size facility that encourages social participation and independent living alongside graduated levels of care and the comfort of knowing she is not alone. "The apartment" type of room selection fosters a feeling of home and allows for friends to visit in the privacy of a connected living area. Plaza Village is clean, well-organized and seems to have the well-being of its residents at the forefront of its agenda.

Nice, but way too far away from us and doctors. would be last on list.

Excellent facility, beautiful. Elmer is a jewel. I like the pod living set up, but my Uncle didn't find it a good fit for him and it is to far from Encinitas

I was VERY impressed with my visit. From the moment I walked in the door I was greeted and acknowledged to the moment I left. I enjoyed my visit with Elmer [Removed]. He was very welcoming and answered all my questions. I received a tour of the facility and was very impressed by the quality of the facility and the interaction between the employees and residents.

I Called Them

I did not take a tour of this place but I did drive by it and I thought it looked nice from the outside. I was able to talk with the director and he gave me answers that was needed. They did call back for a follow-up.

Loved that they emailed us immediately and invited us to see the place. Very cute on website. Liked the small house floor plans.

The village is a safe friendly home for my loved one.
The residents seem happy and are secure .
I would like to say a great big THANK YOU❤️❤️❤️
The staff are friendly and know the people they are caring for!

Review of Plaza Village Senior Living - National City, CA

I went for an impromptu tour without my parents. The property is very nice and everyone was very accommodating. The style of living would be a big change for my parents and the price is at the very top of our range. Elmer was very personable.

getting better

The only thing I can think of is they need 1 contact person for everything. It's getting better there. They will notify you when things happen.

Personable and Homey Atmosphere

I like the set-up, it seems more personable and more homey instead of an institution. I like the idea of it being like little condos. I feel it is more geared towards like you are at home versus a place where you are just a number.

Management quickly act like they care only when family members visit or any professional outside the workplace. Absolutely no Dietician for people on strict diets, no Activities Directors, staff has to pretend like they are doing something while visitors are there. There are prefered residents which the nurse sees all day and very few are happy living there. Did I mention this place discriminates?

They were very helpful.

They were very helpful. They have done everything they could to help him. They truly went above and beyond. They have been more than wonderful. He picked it, because he liked it the best of all the places he went to look at.

Ok place. I talked with Je...

Ok place. I talked with Jeremy and appreciated his questions about my parents. I don't think it would be a good place for my patent due to the living arrangement. What they were proposing was my patents in a master bedroom and two to three other women in the other bedrooms. My father would not be comfortable with that.

I found the communal livin...

I found the communal living unappealing. They did not provide a meal which was a turn off.

Loved it!

One of the things I like best about Plaza Village is how thoughtful the staff are. First they gave me a great tour: They were very attentive as they showed me around the bright, clean living areas with plenty of amenities. They also offer a number of fun activities for their happy residents.

Afterwards, they even followed up with me to see what I thought and if there is anything else they can do for me. I had a great experience!

Condo concept. 8:1 care rat...

Condo concept. 8:1 care ratio. Limited activities. Affordable.

Not Impressed

I was not impressed with the facility. The lady even told me it was a converted condominium project. They had no outside gardens. I just didn't like it. A friend of mine had her mother in there and she moved out within two months so that wasn't a good sign. They were very straightforward with me thought and they were the most inexpensive of all the places I saw.

We didn't really like this one too mu...

We didn't really like this one too much. It was okay but it was not really some thing that was right for my dad. They share rooms and we were looking for a private room. It's like an open village kind of feel, I'm not sure what exactly you call it but we were able to find a private room at another place so we went with that. They were pretty friendly there.

Good Fit

I think overall they're very good. I think it's been a good fit for my mom. What they offer, for the price, is extremely reasonable. My mom is adjusting pretty well. She seems to enjoy the food. I know she's played bingo and they have some exercise groups and sing-a-longs. I think that's one area that could use a little improvement, just adding more activities.

Prices are great and well u...

Prices are great and well understood. Interesting 'quad' layout. NO outside gardens, a bit cramped and seemed a bit 'dark' inside, in a busy part of town, but a decent, clean, reasonably priced place

Not what my mom is looking for. She ...

Not what my mom is looking for. She does not want to have a roommate.

Didn't like the idea of shared common...

Didn't like the idea of shared common space (including kitchen). She is too independent for that type of living arrangement.

WHAT MAKES PLAZA VILLAGE SO UNIQUE?

• Design and Concept
• Activity Programming
• Holistic Approach

For the past three years, plans have been underway to open a State of the art, senior living community with
an emphasis on Memory Care. Addressing this need is a an Assisted Living Community called
Plaza Village.

Scheduled to open in the next few weeks, the interest in a Residential Care Facility with a distinct difference has been creating quite a buzz in both the Senior Living Industry and Communities in South Bay. Plaza Village was created with a truly unique and innovative approach to Memory Care.

Design:

The design of Plaza Villages’ “Neighborhoods” is a remarkable improvement of the standard “facility feel” to most communities offering residential care. Typically, in an assisted living, residents will live in a studio type room or suite leading into a common hallway within the facility. In most cases, there are communal living areas shared by the entire community whether there are 20 residents or 200. Though home like décor is placed in these communities, there is an obvious look and feel of a facility or being “institutionalized”. This explains why so many seniors fear being “put into an institution”.

Plaza Village residents live in what we call “Neighborhoods”. These are between 1500 – 2000 square feet with 3-4 private and semi private bedrooms within each. They also include full kitchens with stainless steel appliances, Italian tile and granite countertops, a dining room, large living room, private washer and dryers, some patios, and are fully furnished by interior designer Laurie Club. Colors and textures used are designed to create not only a beautifully appointed home but more importantly offers residents an atmosphere of serenity and warmth.

Within each “neighborhood”, residents will have the opportunity to interact with their neighbors in a social and consistent way. The companionship created can have a far greater positive impact that the usual social hour or mealtime provided in typical assisted living communities. Statistics show that people with dementia who are interacting consistently with their “neighbors”, experience less anxiety, depression and confusion than doing so in larger groups. It’s customary for most seniors who live in an assisted living to “socialize” perhaps for a few hours a day and spend the remainder of their days watching television or sitting alone. This will be virtually eliminated with the design of our neighborhoods.

Having a smaller number of residents within each neighborhood also offers the ability of caregivers to provide more direct, personal and individual attention to each resident. Caregivers are assigned to specific neighborhoods which offer consistency to residents that larger communities typically cannot afford to provide.

Activity Programming:

Statistics show that those affected by Dementia and Alzheimer’s have consistent trouble remembering people, places and things. Add to that their inability to sometimes form words and sentences to convey their thoughts and feelings and it is easy to see how frustrating and debilitating dementia can be to live with. At Plaza Village our activity programming includes having activities that are both engaging and uniquely individual. Providing our Residents the opportunity to learn new skills as well as participate in activities that are familiar and comforting as well. The staff is trained to provide stimulating activities while maintaining an interactive and supportive environment for Residents. In addition, as a Resident has changes or their cognitive capacity changes, the program is altered and refined to best suit the needs of that individual.

Even more unique is our “Mobile Activities” programming. Typically, in an Assisted Living Community, there are a select few that will participate in activities. This means that almost 80% of residents do not participate in any activities offered within communities. With our “mobile Activity Programs”, activities will be brought into each neighborhood, offering EVERY resident a chance to participate and thereby making their days more enjoyable and active.

Holistic Approach:

Integrating what has been proven effective in Memory Care Programs and adding a holistic module has shown far greater benefit to Residents than simply “keeping them busy”. Although activity programs are key in providing enrichment in the day to day life of our Residents, we are adding to that a “Sensory Integration Approach” that will include sight, sound and smell components. Aroma Therapy on every floor, soothing music and specifically placed large screen TV’s with specific programming provide increased sensory stimulation as well as provide a soothing effect for Plaza Village Residents.

In addition to these unique approaches to Memory Care, Plaza Village will offer educational, social and supportive services. Plaza Village truly is an innovative leader in Assisted Living.