Monte Vista Village - Lemon Grove, CA

I spoke with them, but since they do not have memory care, if my aunt's memory became worse she would have to move again, so they said she was not appropriate for their facility.

Beautiful and Inviting Community

My sister and I love this beautiful community. The landscape is so well-maintained. It has been a very positive move for her. The staff is very friendly and caring. Her studio apartment is beautiful. She is already involved in a couple of the numerous activies they provide. The walkways are inviting and picturesque for taking strolls around the community. I've dined with her on a couple of occasions and the food is delicious. They serve a well-balanced meal with a lot of variety.

TGG Communications

Thank you very much for your review! We are thrilled to hear that your sister has been enjoying the surroundings and staff. It is our goal to provide a welcoming environment and the best service for our residents and guests. We really appreciate your feedback. Sincerely, Maria Shetler, Executive Director.

Not the right care!

This community would have been nice but they did not meet her level of needs. If we would have put my loved one in this community she would have needed extra assistance from an in-home caregiver or outside company. Other than that, the place was clean and everyone was friendly.

TGG Communications

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry Monte Vista Village was not a good fit for your mother, but I greatly appreciate your time and consideration. With our multiple levels of senior living and care, including from independent living, assisted living and long-term skilled nursing, our lifestyle usually makes Monte Vista Village an excellent fit. Please feel welcome to contact me if you have any additional questions, or if I may be of further service to you.
Sincerely, Maria Shetler, Executive Director

Peace and Serenity... this place is a little slice of heaven

I moved my 80+ year old mother to Monte Vista Village approx. 3 years ago. She was having a difficult time processing the passing of my younger brother, and lived a 3 hour drive away. She was falling into depression and losing interest in her own life. When she told me she was ready to move back to San Diego I was relieved. I started looking for a place for her to live (I have way too many stairs in my house for her to come live with me).

I was so fortunate to find Monte Vista Village, a hidden oasis, right in my own neighborhood! I've lived and grown up here my whole life, and have passed by this location countless number of times and never knew it was there. However, I did notice when the time was right, and thought "I'll have to stop by and take a look at this place."

It looks very unassuming from the 'outside'... nice brick buildings, some garages on one side, obviously some kind of community housing. But when I walked 'inside' I was very pleasantly surprised to see the beautiful, lush landscaping. Meandering sidewalks passing by a shaded koi pond with benches for sitting; beautiful old trees that have been there for decades providing shaded areas for sitting and enjoying the fresh air, well tended flowering plants and lawns. I couldn't believe all this was 'hidden' away and it was like finding a little treasure.

I gathered information from the very helpful, courteous and friendly staff and passed it on to my mother. She said "yes". So I proceeded with the task of moving her back to San Diego.

I can't even begin to tell you what a difference this place has made, not only to me and my mom, but the whole extended family. Peace of mind is priceless. I know my mom is happy and well cared for here at Monte Vista Village. Because of the convenient location, I can visit her several times a week if my schedule allows, or less often when I get too busy, and not feel guilty that she's not being 'cared for'. The staff here is so friendly, warm and inviting that they feel like they're a part of 'my family' as well.

They provide many opportunities throughout the year for the residents' families to come join the festivities, and they know how to do it right. First class, top notch, yet down home comfortable. They provide many daily activities for the residents to join in on, provide delicious and healthy meals (they even deliver!! My mom loves this!), vacuum, clean and put fresh linens on weekly, and either phone or physically come to the door and check on her if they have not heard from her!!! I feel SO LUCKY to have found this place for my mom. I don't know what other retirement facilities may be like, because I got lucky the first time around and found the right place.

I absolutely LOVE the staff at Monte Vista Village... [Removed] always has a warm hug for me and my mom, [Removed] is so lively, perky and quick witted he has me laughing and he always seems to put the right touch on the special decorations at party time, [Removed] has the smile and kindness of an angel and is so tender with the residents, [Removed] is absolutely lovely, as is [Removed], ... I'm so sorry I can't remember the names of all the wonderful staff that makes this experience of aging less scary for me and my family. I want to say "THANK YOU SO MUCH". You are making all the difference in the world to my family and I.

TGG Communications

We value and appreciate your feedback and are so glad you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and gardens. I understand your hesitation about the size and location of our assisted living. The value of our assisted living lies in its intimate size, allowing for personalized attention and care for our residents, including one-on-one escorts to any location on campus. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions about Monte Vista Village.
Take care,
Tracy Walter

We liked this place. It has nice grounds and gardens. But the assisted living residence is small and away from the main building, so there wouldn't be many people to interact with without quite a walk.

TGG Communications

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to take a tour of our community and share your feedback. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions about Monte Vista Village.
Take Care,
Tracy Walter, Marketing Director

A happy camper

The reviews in January and February of this year by [REmoved] and [Removed], PhD, I find quite contrary to my experience as a resident of Monte Vista Village for the past two and a half years. Of course, there are complaints. Where are there none? But the management here tackles every issue that arises and settles it generally satisfactory.

My own experience here has been exemplary. When I first visited this facility, I met that day just a few staff members and residents. I was impressed! Their friendliness and openness won me over immediately. In fact, I wrote out a check as a down payment before I left the premises and moved in shortly thereafter, this after having visited a number of senior facilities in the San Diego area. Granted, I left behind a comfortable home on acreage in the mountains half an hour away to reside in a small studio, but I have no complaints.

Since being here, I’ve met, of course, all the staff and most of the residents—and consider myself fortunate to be among them. The food is good—though certainly not French restaurant caliber; yet it is definitely well balanced. And though I’m a bit of a recluse, I’m well aware of the many activities available free to everyone. Just today, residents visited the desert east of here to view the splendid blooming of flowers. Musical entertainment and sing-a-longs are presented on a regular basis.

Yes, I love it here!

Hello Peter,
It is so nice to hear from you on SeniorAdvisor! We've so enjoyed getting to know you. Your feedback is greatly valued and we are so happy to provide you with excellent service. We care deeply about all of our residents and their well-being, and are glad to be your senior living community of choice!
Have a great day!
Sincerely, Tracy Walter, Director of Marketing

Great community

My Dad and Mom moved to Monte Vista over a year ago. I eat there with them at least once a week and sometimes more. The guest meals are reasonably priced. I'm a good cook and most of the time the meals are very good. If you don't care for what is on the menu for a meal you can always order a hamburger, hot dog, grilled chicken breast or deli sandwich. I cook with little salt and so does MVV. There are salt and pepper shakers on every table and rarely I will add a little. The ham yesterday for lunch was one of the best I've tasted.

My folks had a little problem with theft, but I installed a camera in their apartment and we caught the thief. They are in jail. MVV can't install cameras because of state privacy laws, but a resident can. Cost less than $100 and problem solved. There have been no other thefts for my folks of anything for months. I don't think you can blame MVV for one bad apple. That can happen anywhere. I can tell you that the administration was so responsive and helpful. They helped me with camera placement to insure success. And they were so supportive and caring to Mom and Dad.

The staff go above and beyond every day. Mom and Dad go to exercise class 4 times per week and are being taken on a tour today. There are plenty of activities. They are very happy there and their blood work shows their health has improved. Highly recommend this place.

Hello Mary,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. It is wonderful to know that your parents and family feel supported by our team members. We have truly enjoyed getting to know all of you, and welcome you to continue to reach out if you have any questions.
Take Care! Tracy Walter, Director of Marketing

Problems at Monte Vista

My 90 year old father has resided at MVV for 2 years. He likes the facilities, neighbors, and the weather. He does not like the food which he says has deteriorated steadily. He also complains that the entertainment and social activities have also steadily declined since he first moved in. My wife and I shared lunch with him there recently and frankly, it was terrible. We understand there is also a theft problem at Monte Vista which the staff largely ignores. Any problem or complaint that comes up is invariably attributed to the residents' declining memory or confusion. We would have moved him from this facility long ago but he has friends there which he says outweigh the problems.

Community Representative

We are very sorry to hear of your concerns. Please be assured, all concerns — especially safety, security and resident satisfaction — are taken very seriously. The team at Monte Vista Village works diligently with residents and their families to rectify any issues. Please feel welcome to call our direct line at any time. It would be my pleasure to speak with you in person, so we may discuss these points in more detail.
Best, Maria Shelter, Executive Director

An objective, accurate description of Monte Vista Village

My 96 year-old mother has resided at Monte Vista VIllage for 3 years. She rents a 1-bedroom unit and although her vision is rapidly deteriorating. she is very cogent, and her memory is excellent. Two characteristics stand out about Monte Vista: a serious theft problem and tasteless, poor quality food. My mother has had had jewelry, money and various personal effects stolen while she is at lunch. This had happened numerous times. She cannot lock her doors because the management has keys to every apartment and the staff often walk in unannounced. They consider the theft problem to be a memory problem of the residents. This may play a role but a very small one. It is really a serious problem that no one does anything about. The food is a travesty. It is tasteless, unseasoned, and poor quality. Most residents feel this way but are afraid to speak up. I do not know where these other glowing reviews came from but they do not accurately describe Monte Vista Village.

Community Representative

We are very sorry to hear of your concerns. The quality of life for our residents is our top priority, including their safety, security and satisfaction. Please feel welcome to call our direct line at any time. We welcome and encourage the opportunity to speak with you in person, so we may discuss these points in more detail.
Sincerely,
Maria Shetler, Executive Director

No Parking!

We ended up not moving my mother to this community because it was too far from my home. Also, there was limited parking to the point where we were afraid to park on the street. The rooms were all very nice and it seemed like a great affordable place, but it was not what we were looking for.

Community Representative

I am sorry to hear that, but I hope you found the best fit for your mother and family.

Take care,
Tracy Walter
Director of Marketing

Two True too.....!!!!!!

It's too true.....😎🏃🏻😇🙏🍇

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!
Sincerely, Tracy Walter, Marketing Director

Beyond Expectations!

I recently had a first-hand experience with Monte Vista Village with my 90 year-old Uncle that couldn't have been more positive. From my first phone call inquiry to Tracy [removed], all of the Staff has been incredibly responsive and helpful. My situation was unusual because of my Uncle's unique attachment to his dog, Bella. The Staff at Monte Vista Village went WAY beyond my expectations in welcoming and accommodating my Uncle and Bella. Monte Vista Village itself is a wonderful place with beautiful grounds and attractive and clean facilities. The activities are also fantastic - lots of parties, happy hours, live music, exercise classes and more. The transportation department has gone above and beyond the call of duty on more than one occasion to serve the needs of my Uncle. I have also been extremely impressed with the medical care. Monte Vista Village's medical coordinator, Myka Go, has been fantastic in communicating with me and arranging mobile doctors and nurses to keep close tabs on him even though in independent living. Wonderful! I highly recommend Monte Vista Village to anyone looking for a special place for a loved one where you can be confident in the positive environment and excellent care they are receiving.

Lisa P.,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Monte Vista Village. We are definitely a dog friendly community and, as you know, many employees enjoy helping with the dogs. Our beautiful grounds are paradise for both owner and canine companion who enjoy the gardens and 7.5 acres of flat pathways. As a sixteen year employee of Monte Vista Village, I feel our community is blessed to have so many kindhearted employees who consider each day a new opportunity to go, as you say, “way” beyond our residents and families expectations. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Sincerely,
Tracy W.
Director of Marketing

Things are going pretty good

Things are going pretty good. They love the food and they are starting to get more active and get adjusted to the facility. There was a theft in the room, unfortunately, but the administrative staff responded appropriately.

Dear Family Member,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that your family members are enjoying being active at our community and love the food. It's our mission to provide a healthy and caring environment. We are also looking into your concern and thank you again for your review.

Sincerely, Maria Shetler, Executive Director of Monte Vista Village

The place to live

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is delicious, and there are many interesting activities going on. I would definitely considerate it as it has 3 levels of care, and that's comforting not to have to move when needed.

A nice community

The Monte Vista Village is a very nice community. It is very clean. They have many activities. They also have day outings. I would recommend this facility. My Uncle seems happy here. Everything has been going well.

Best decision ever

Tracy Walter was very helpful, answered all my questions and was attentive to my Dad. She engaged him and made sure he was comfortable with all the decisions. ad moved in without a hitch and loves it. He is very impressed with the food and enjoys playing a game or two of poker. All of the staff are friendly and engaging. The grounds are very well kept and every thing is clean.

I looked at several places in the area and thought Monte Vista was by far the best.

They offer many activities and encourage residents to participate.

A pleasant Surprise

I spent two months at Monte Vista Village visiting a friend and had no idea what to expect. What I found was a pleasant surprise. The grounds were lovely and well cared for, the residents were friendly and interesting, and the food was great. The staff was attentive and always willing to do whatever they could to provide high quality service. Special activities were frequent and fun and included many areas of interest. When it is time to consider a Senior Living community, that would be my first choice. A happy place.

Tracy. All single story. T...

Tracy. All single story. They do not take dimentia patients, $4370 month includes food, laundry and housekeeping. Have 12-14 apts per bldg. This is a part of a larger community they can participate in. 154 units total (27 in assisted care). Includes cable TV. Help with bathing, laundry and dressing. Have various activities and excercise classes. not sure of sq ft but fits double bed, 2 recliners, dresser and TV.

I have had an excellent experience. I would go there myself.

I have had an excellent experience. I would go there myself. I haven't seen anything I would like to see improved or done better, at least so far. I felt they had the friendliest staff of all the places I looked at, and they connected to my father a little more. It seemed unpretentious, and really seemed to fit his personality.

Did not have a good experience here

We had our loved one here briefly and our experience was not a good one. We had numerous issues with the medication management service, and ended up moving our loved one to a different facility after a short time.

Daughter-in-law's view.

Mom-in-law has been at MVV just over a month, but staff all know her name already. Friendly, clean, well-laid out. Lots of activities to choose from. She is "content" as she tells her friends.

So happy with our decision to live at Monte Vista Village

My father moved into Monte Vista Village a few months ago and he is very happy there. He has taken advantage of all the center has to offer and is very pleased with the property. It is well maintained, the people are very friendly and the staff is very helpful. We visited several facilities in San Diego before Choosing Monte Vista Village and we were pleasently surprised at what Monte Vista had to offer. We especially like the park like surroundings. Tracey, the Marketing Director was very helpful and accomodating as my father made his tranisition from out of state, into Monte Vista Village. We highly recommend Monte Vista Village for Senior living.

Billing Issues

I had billing problems every month. Even the corporate couldn't do simple addition. For meals management waited to the residents left and then secured the dining area which is in the same place as the residents lounge. One day they asked me to turn down the TV because they were having a meeting which was not in the conference room but instead in the residents lounge. The food was okay. At the time that I was there they had chicken and salmon choices which I liked. While it's really pretty on the outside they had things like cracks in the sidewalks. They started taking care of it but then they stopped. I found the billing person was exceptionally rude. She'd make me stand out in front to discuss my billing problems where people would come and listen instead of letting me into the office.

Nice facility. Friendly staff - knew ...

Nice facility. Friendly staff - knew clients names. The staff and clients were all happy and "milling" about. Variety of activities and outings. Didn't have a "Clinical" smell. Enjoyed all aspects of this facility.

Don't think it offers dementia care

Don't think it offers dementia care

O MONTE VISTA HOME SWEET HOME!!!! fee...

O MONTE VISTA HOME SWEET HOME!!!! feel safe, all the units are apartment like on the ground floor only with lots of windows to look out at the gardens very roomy great storage and closet space, price is wright!

It's an apartment type living, but mo...

It's an apartment type living, but mom needs [removed] I'd like the Hawaiian setting, but she would prefer the Mexico instead

Welcome to Monte Vista Village, southern California retirement living at its best. Located on seven-and-a-half acres and just ten minutes east of downtown San Diego, life here is designed for enjoyment.

Live in your own individual, ground level cottage style apartment in a safe, serene setting. Pathways within the 7.5 acres wind past a tiered waterfall nestled among lush landscaping, and lead to The Lodge, where residents enjoy fine dining, pleasant conversation, card games, movies, or a good book from the well stocked library. Pathways also lead past a heated pool, pharmacy, beauty salon, exercise room, and our auditorium.

We understand the transition from home to a retirement community can be delayed because of issues like electric scooters, small pets, or having to change doctors. None of this is an issue at Monte Vista!

Come add life to your years in an environment promoting health, safety, happiness, and fun!

Come Join Us at Monte Vista Village!
You've Earned It!