Atria Collwood - San Diego, CA

Atria Collwood is a welcoming senior community with all the comforts of home. Enjoy the peaceful surroundings of beautifully maintained courtyards or relax in the community library. Atria Collwood is located near San Diego State University with convenient access to shopping, hospitals, places of worship and cultural activities.

License #374600890

This facility is clean and welcoming, the food is good and the dining service is 7a-7p with open seating not on a set schedule. Additional food and snacks available. Cocktails served. Room shape is very accommodating. The grounds are very pleasant. The location is on a hill and the nearest stores & restaurants are walking distance up a hill. The price is very comparable to [Removed].

Happy Residents

My tour went very well of this community. Everything was well-kept, and smelled good. The residents looked happy and comfortable. You can tell they really care about their residents.

A friend's care

My friend is being taken care of here. They offer activities,but he is not able to participate. The staff members are friendly. The meals are good. I would suggest families look for other options for care.

Praise and Suggestions

My experience with Collwood staff is to witness, from Tech to Nurse, empathy with the families, residents and a great ability ''anticipating needs of residence. Only complaint is she does not have enough room in the bathroom for all her things; and her closet bar is too high. Showers just twice a week for a woman who (like most men and women) bathe daily. She comes from a time period that taking pride in appearance was just normal. Men wore their suits and hat even if unemployed; as a former mental health technician we found less disturbances and brighter personalities with daily bathing this had a significant drop in the use of psychotropics.

My father's home

This is a great place for my father. He is doing well there and the staff is taking good care of him and his needs. The food is outstanding. The community is clean and well kept. They offer alot of great activities. I highly recommend this community for great care.

I would recommend touring this community!

The staff we met during our tour of Atria were nice. This is a nice clean community. The pricing was a little high for us and for us and they did not have anything larger than a studio available. The community did look clean.

A Really Good Tour

I liked this community the most! I saw that the facility was clean all around and there was no odor or smell. The residents and staff all seemed to be happy and nice. If the price was a little lower, this is where my mom would have gone.

I Think I'm Going To Stay

I am now living at this community and so far I am doing fine and feeling good. The staff give me good care and serve me good food, it is a lot better than my last place. My room is always clean and the place is well maintained too. I have played in a scrabble game and won third place and there are other activities to do also. I would only say i wish there are more nurses to help me. So far I think I am here to stay.

My Mom is very happy living at Atria Collwood. The meals are delicious and the activities offered keep her busy. The staff is very warm and friendly.

He likes the food, and the people that live there are pretty friendly as well.

It was a big adjustment in the beginning, but I think things are going better now. He likes the food, and the people that live there are pretty friendly as well. There have been just minor maintenance issues, but nothing major, and I think those will get addressed pretty quickly.

respite

Took my mom to Atria Collwood for a one month respite stay. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Unfortunately, we did not get info about facility safety procedures due to Friday check in. Facility has safety policy of checking in on resident in their rooms at night. We did not get this info. Unfortunately, my mother was startled and frightened when exiting her bathroom to find a male caregiver in her room. That was it for her and she checked out after only two days. This was a disappointing misunderstanding. My advice is to try and check in when all key staff are working and ask lots of questions. The food was OK, usually required reheating. There were also ants in her bathroom.

Kate Vance

Thanks for telling me about your frustrations. We take the satisfaction of our residents very seriously. Please feel free to share anything else with me at [removed].

Respite Until Resident

As my mom's caretaker I diligently looked for 'the place' where I felt she would have the best experience in a first time facility. Our need was for a respite/trial stay. Meg (the director), Kathy (in finance) and the entire team of workers there seemed a cut above other places I visited. In addition the size of the facility and the varied menu with availability to eat anytime was a plus.

Mom needed medications twice a day and they made sure she got them and took them. The facility is set up more in a social context than medical giving it more of a 'resort' feel than a hospital vibe.

Staff and residents knew my mom's name and were genuinely sad to see her leave after her one month visit. I was looking for a wonderful first experience for my mom with early stage dementia and this was the place! We will continue with respite/short term stays and as her needs increase and when our ability to care for her is exceeded we will place her there.

They cannot do full medical care, but until/if mom reaches that point, Atria will be the place until then.

Very happy

My friend is very happy with Atria Collwood. They absolutely wonderful. There are no complaints with the staff or the facility that I am aware of and he is doing great.

They have been fine.

They have been fine. I don't have any major complaints or concerns at this time. I would score them five out of five. It's been working out well. A good place.

Very Pleased

We were very pleased to find Atria Collwood when it became necessary to move mom to a more affordable assisted living facility. The staff, premises, food, private rooms & the activities offered at Atria Collwood are all top notch & everyone is very friendly. It's really a lovely place & we feel fortunate that mom was able to move in. We wished we'd known about Atria Collwood sooner!

Highly recommended

They could have a few more people on staff at night. They have a ton of activities.

Mixed experience

In terms of the facility itself and the staff I think Atria Collwood is a very nice place. The people here are all very nice, and they do their best to look after the people who live her. Every single person really is as nice as can be. However, they have a lot of communication issues between staff members, coordinating with doctors, etc. I still find myself having to be very involved in the care process just to make sure care instructions get communicated and carried out, and for the amount of money I am paying that isn't something I think I should need to do. And it isn't just the staff here, it is a problem throughout the industry, but still something they really need to improve.

Katy Miller

Thanks for your review – your feedback is valuable to us and we’ll keep your comments in mind as we continue to enhance your experience. Please feel free to share more with us at [removed].

Ten Out Of Ten

I asked my husband, who is living there, how he would rate it and he said he would have to give this place a ten out of ten. He really enjoys his stay. My only observation is that I wish there was a little more outdoor area for the residents to walk around in. I also thought there could be more attention to the food, making sure it was warm enough, etc.

very pleased

The staff there at Atria Collwood is really exceptional! They are very friendly and always call my mother by her name. The friendliness of the staff is really the best thing about the place. I do not have a single negative thing to say about the place. We are very pleased!

It's wonderful here.

It's wonderful here. It's clean and the people are friendly, I like the food. Everything works well for me. I don't have any complaints about anything so far.

It is definitely the worth the look. I have look at many and this is the best place I think out of all of the,. It is very friendly and the value of the cost is excellent.

Safe at last!

A very caring environment; they treat the residents as individuals and recognize their personalities and try to maintain their dignity in their care.

It was a great experience my mom loves it here. They make you feel like your at home. On the activities don't precipitate on them so cant really comment on that. The staff is very friendly.

Seems like a very nice place!

Things are going very well with Atria Collwood, we've heard nothing but good things! Our loved one really enjoys that they have food available any time you like from 7am to 7pm, and even a little soda station to go get a drink whenever you'd like! They also have an on-site hairdresser and pedicurist. One of the biggest factors in the decision was that they allow pets. They're definitely worth a look if you're looking into senior living in the area!

My mom moved in on Feb 7th. So far everything is great.

Enjoyable & Comfortable Senior Living

A very friendly atmosphere. Many workers have been here for many years but are still very caring and loving toward all residents, no matter how difficult. Cleanliness is a top priority.
Communication is not what it could be. New residents are left to find out many little details about meals and activities on their own. Some of this may be in the paper work but there are many pages to 'wade' thru. Long time residents do help 'newbies' get acquainted.
Activities are many including outings and entertainment.
The food is plentiful and good overall. There will always somebody who is not happy.
I feel I am definitly getting my moneys worth.
The biggest complaint I hear has to do with service in the dining room. It is very slow and disorganized.

Kate Vance

It’s always a pleasure to hear from our residents and families, so we thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing. If you’d like to discuss your suggestions for the community in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us at [removed].

Kate Vance

They are very happy with them.

They are very happy with them. We have seen an improvement in my loved one's well being. It's a very social environment, with meals and it's very good. It's kept clean, and the staff is friendly. We don't have any complaints.

Everything at the Atria Collwood is g...

Everything at the Atria Collwood is going great. Everything and everybody is great. I'm very happy and pleased with the care provided, cleanliness of the facility, and friendliness of the staff.

An Okay community

The community was decently clean, but the staff could have been a little more friendly from my experience. It was an okay value for the money. The care services were okay. I wish they’d had more activities and variety in the activities.

Kate Vance

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We appreciate feedback from our families as they can provide valuable insight as to how we can improve. I apologize for any unfriendliness you may have observed from our staff and would like to extend the invitation to share some suggestions you have in the activities department. If would like to share or feel we can be of further service to your family, please feel free to reach out to [removed] and if you would kindly include “Atria Collwood” in your subject line, we may quickly include the appropriate directors in the correspondence. We are here to help.

Great Care

Everyone makes sure the residents get to know each other and encourage them to participate in activities. My mom is very happy here.

Everyone has been very nice.

My one thing is that they don’t have room size options. Her room is small, but the option is to pay for two rooms. Everyone has been very nice. They have a lot of activities and they actively encourage her to participate in activities. Any time dining so that someone can go down anytime and get a sandwich or a something to eat.

It seemed like a really nice place, j...

It seemed like a really nice place, just out of my price point since I'm the one paying for all of this. It seemed clean, and the whole set up was really nice.

Everything's Good!

As far as I know, the activities are good! She tells me that she's playing cards, Bingo, and she does arts and crafts, and exercise class. She seems very happy and everything is going well!

Very nice community of appr...

Very nice community of approx 90 residents - all the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Clean, & many fun activities offered, esp. onsite. Reaonably priced.

I was impressed by the faci...

I was impressed by the facility and the staff as well as the studio rooms. The price was definately higher than others I had looked at which might have explained why they were running a special rate reduction through the end of the month. Overall a good rating.

Near Kensington. Smaller an...

Near Kensington. Smaller and 'Folksy'. Current garden room available 50 ft. from the dining room. By SDSU, El Cajon Bl & 54th by massage place. $2,600 studio + $ more for extra care services.

Nice facility - one we are considering

Nice facility - one we are considering

Took a quick tour with The Director -...

Took a quick tour with The Director - very nice place, but a bit farther to drive than we would like. The rooms are pretty small, but doable.

met with manager. Only drawback is no...

met with manager. Only drawback is no kitchenettes.

Area not too conducive for outings S...

Area not too conducive for outings Staff seemed extremely helpful

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and I would like to address your concern regarding the community's potential for outings. We take great pride in planning trips that are both fun and educational for the engagement and entertainment of our residents. Featured outings for this month include our Men's Lunch Out to Chili's, a trip to see the new release The Great Gatsby, and our monthly excursion to the casino. Next month our residents will enjoy at trip to the San Diego County Fair. We also have at least one weekly shopping trip and a day to run errands with the residents. For those residents who are not as mobile, we offer an Out N' About Trip of San Diego which is a scenic drive to take in all the beauty the city has to offer. Our outings and trips occur on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Please stop by our community anytime to pick up a calendar with all of our outings and activities. They are located near the front desk and our activity room. We are also happy to answer any questions you may have. Just email us at [removed] and be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line.

Very nice.

Very nice.

At top of mom's list for staff and fo...

At top of mom's list for staff and food. Sunny, light room a top priority