Pete's Place - Worthington, OH

Location is perfect. Small ...

Location is perfect. Small house but the back yard is inviting and the opportunity to take walks around the neighborhood is nice. Would use this facility for quick relocation for mom because they dont require a contract.

Great community, could have more activities

I feel like they do a great job with the care here, and the staff are all outstanding. The director in particular has been wonderful, and has done everything in her power to make my loved one as comfortable as possible. I do think they could use a bit of work on the activities that they provide. The residents here seem to be on the higher end of the care scale, and this community may not be appropriate for more active residents.

Pete's Place

We saw some troubling things that we felt were serious problems.

• We believe that the staff was not qualified to handle a male resident who, although not large, was ambulating and could possibly have more strength than the staff. This was after the resident was “approved” by the consulting nurse to live in the facility.

• Staff called me, asking me to identify a pill. Obviously, I could not have known over the phone and had to make a trip to the house. Staff said the pharmacy person who delivered it said what it was but she did not remember. I was astonished that something so important was
not written down. Our family all were very concerned that the pill was not identifiable by staff.

• I sent supplies and typed up 3-step directions on how to care for a wound (1. clean with gauze & saline, 2. apply antibiotic cream, 3. cover with supplied bandages so it would not stick to the wound). When I visited the 2nd day, the resident had gauze on his head. Definitely, that was not going to keep the wound moist and would be possibly painful to remove. We were very concerned that staff was not able to follow these simple directions. The quality of care was not as expected.

• I was told that staff members had to be shown how to redirect the resident—how not to say “No” and “Don’t do that” and to be positive and move him onto something else. I would think that with their years of experience, staff would already know how to do that.

• A staff member took a very high blood pressure reading the first day the resident was there. I asked if maybe it was wrong; I was told No. I was extremely concerned and made an emergency doctor appointment. A day later, blood pressure readings were very much more normal. Staff should have taken the blood pressure reading again immediately instead of having me worry that he was going to have a heart attack. I have to question the staff’s skill, equipment used and the staff’s decision-making process.

• When resident’s family was moving furniture in, they saw three “piles of pills” sitting on the kitchen counter, unmarked and unattended. That sounded like a prescription for disaster to us, either by not having the correct person receive the correct medicine/dose, or having someone who is not fully in charge of themselves grab a pill/pills and take them and become ill, or worse.

I understand that they are not a nursing facility, but we were told basic needs would be met. I believe their intentions are in the right place, but execution was not as expected.

Conflict with two tours at ...

Conflict with two tours at same time. Called and said tour was probably meant for Tuesday. Rescheduled but they told me you may find something and not want to come see us. Not very welcoming.