The Wentworth at Parklane - Salt Lake City, UT

Open atria

When we first walked in, I saw that they have an open atria for eating. Its open in the middle and it goes all the way to the ceiling. Because of this it was giving my love one vertigo so it was unfortunately not a good fit for her. However the people there are super nice it was just less to her liking.

Mom is deliriously happy here

When my mom and I were looking for a place for her to live, we read some of the reviews of this community and were a little worried that they would overpromise and under deliver, but they have more than what we expected. We walked in and my mom said “I love this place” within the first minute of being there. Since she’s been there (only about a month or so), I’ve noticed that they have a movie playing almost every day and from what I can tell, that’s just a minor activity. They have professors that will come in from the University of Utah to give lectures on different things like current events. And once a week, they all play a game called Banana-gram, which is like Scrabble. They even had an Oktoberfest, which was like being at a wedding – they had music, dancing, and games, it was great. Every resident can sign up for a personal driver to take them to their doctor’s appointments and once a week the driver will take everyone out to sight see. It’s all very engaging and my mom loves it. The only things that they charge extra for are to take the residents to other places for entertainment, like a show or the theater, and cable, which is $9 a month. Like most places, there’s a specific area that they like to stick to so they typically keep their trips within Salt Lake City Monday through Friday and on Sundays they’ll take everyone to church. Of all of the places that we visited, we knew this one wouldn’t have the best food but my mom was concerned about gaining weight so that wasn’t much of a factor when deciding to move her in. The dining room is in the center of the building and all of the residents’ rooms open up to the center, so you can actually see who’s sitting in the dining room. However, we were more focused on the environment, the intellectual curiosity, and the programs that she would like to take place in. From the first moment she walked in, she liked how it was decorated but also liked that the waiting area was a little library with books that she liked to read. It really showed her the type of stimulation, intellectually, that she would be getting. The whole facility is very clean and all of the housekeeping is included into the one price for rent. They wash the sheets and the towels each week, or you can do it yourself. Something I learned on my own that they don’t advertise about is that if you’re the one helping your loved one move in, the facility will provide lunch for you for free for the week and I guess they do that to encourage people to help their family members get settled into their new environment. I have noticed that they tried to get my mom to use a walker, though she doesn’t need one, and a lot of the residents seem to be using one, but I think it’s more of a preventative measure than anything else. Lastly, there are different types of rooms you can get with different views. The first place they showed us was this gorgeous room with a view of the mountains and my mom wound up paying just a little more for that room. It’s on the top floor and in really good condition; her closet is so big, it’s not considered “walk-in” anymore, but rather “walk-through”. It’s about 9-10 feet long and has storage on both sides of it. Overall, I would recommend this place for others. I hope more people like my mother continue to go there because the place is great, but the people also make the place. She loves it here.

All Around Outstanding

Until we needed memory care, my dad was living at this community. It was an excellent all around for him. He lived in a clean environment and had great interaction with the staff. They have a good chef and he makes fresh, great food. Everything was excellent here.

Oops

I had not lived at Parklane long before I realized that they were more interested in getting people into the facility than in actually meeting the needs of residents. This was not the active senior community I had anticipated. Several residents seldom, or never, left their rooms. Others had aides from a few hours per day to 24/7. Many meals were under par, and walkers were everywhere! I am too old to move again, but with steep annual price increases and the lack of concern for residents, I feel this was a bait and switch operation. I do not recommend this facility to others.

Oops

Park Lane not only has treats, they are a treat!

I have had a friend and her husband in the facility for several years. They go out of their way to accommodate their special needs and anticipate any problems that might arise from his condition. They are wheel chair friendly, serve healthy, nutritious meals, and, even have afternoon treats for those with a sweet tooth.
I have compared their prices to other facilities in the area and find them to be competitive. Especially, considering the amenities Park Lane offers compared to others. Park Lane has many activities geared to the different levels of ability to engage. These were impressive and included trips to the ballet and opera, sight-seeing trips during seasonal peaks and shopping opportunities for those who don't drive.
I have had occasion to interact with the staff and have found them to be courteous and helpful from management to kitchen staff.
I highly recommend Park Lane to my friends and family.

I can't imagine my life without Parklane

My family and I looked at several places before we picked Parklane. There was nothing that compared. I have been here over 3 1/2 years and it just gets better and better.
It's not just the beautiful surroundings that I love but how you are treated that makes Parklane so wonderful. Life is hard when you get older but being here makes life worth getting up for. I want to get up and get dressed in the morning so I don't miss all the amazing activities. I look forward to the delicious meals and friends to talk with.The longer I live here the more I feel like one big family which makes it worth getting older. The staff is so loving and caring and I have a sense of security and peace. I feel like royalty. I truly couldn't want anything more.

Bait-and-switch

My mother initially enjoyed this facility. But in a few months she began to see a widening gulf between what we had been told when we moved her in, and some major exaggerations or false statements. Food was okay but not great. Many residents were candidates for Assisted Living. Some never or seldom left their rooms and there were walkers everywhere. Many residents used outside aides - some 24/7. It was not the active senior community we were looking for. After a series or rent increases, we moved her out!

Looks attractive at first, but watch out.

They raised rates 7.5% this year without warning, discussion, or with any justification provided. This is equivalent of a doubling of rates in 8 years. Food is sometimes good, but often marginal. The quality of some of the "ingredients" is not good. After a big showing of care to get residents enrolled, the care factor disappears. The bookkeeping procedures are dismal, prone to error, and out of the last century. Maintenance is slow and many needed repairs go unaddressed for months. The atrium and entry are very attractive; beyond that the halls are drab and dark. Reaching any meaningful level of management to discuss issues is impossible.

I would not recommend Parklane to others.

Excellent established facility in downtown area but has a wait list. Nice atrium area for dining, large balconies for rooms that have them, small but fully functional kitchens. Anyone considering an independent living option in the SLC area should check this facility out since it appears to set the standard. I had checked it out for comparison only, knowing it was out of the desired location range for my mother's residence and wish that wasn't an issue.

Very nice place!

My loved one was only here a short time, but they did a great job during her stay. The employees were all very friendly and did a great job of making both the residents and the families feel welcome and comfortable. The one complaint I'd have is that the food could have been better. The salad bar in particular could have used some vegetables other than just iceburg lettuce.

Great atrium Main floor roo...

Great atrium Main floor room good Lower level rooms and hallways depressing Best geographically

Located close to premiere shopping, dining, and medical services, we offer all the things you need to fill your days with fun and give you peace of mind. Our activity programs offer many choices both on site and out on the town, so whether you like cooking, art, crafts, exercising, or just visiting with friends and neighbors, you stay as busy as you want to be. Parklane Independent Senior Living creates a place you'll love to call home – so come enjoy the easy living.The Parklane Independent Living opportunity is an ideal option for those who want to take advantage of the freedoms that this chapter in life allows with greater enjoyment and less responsibility.