One MacDonough Place Assisted Living Communit - Middletown, CT

We love One MacDonough Place!

We love One MacDonough Place!
About a year ago, it became clear that my Mother needed to move to assisted living. We looked at 10 homes in Vermont and Connecticut. When we walked into OMP, my Mom knew this was the place for her. When we compared size (OMP is small and very personal), services (OMP includes more services in their base monthly rent than any other place we looked), reputation (excellent), and cost (OMP was at the lower end of the price spectrum and it is not-for-profit which means that their mission is to serve you not to make money from you), OMP was the obvious place to choose. We could not be happier!
The staff is professional and so warm & caring! Everyone from the director to the maintenance crew knows every resident. The apartments and public spaces feel like home. The food is excellent. The kitchen accommodates personal likes (maple walnut ice cream for my Mom and sugar free canned pears for her new best friend). The activities are varied and plentiful.
My Mom, who was very anxious about the move, is happier than she has been in years. She feels loved, safe and enjoys the company of many new friends. We couldn't be happier to see her so well situated.
Thank you, OMP!

Praise for One MacDonough Place

After coming across some poor reviews, I had to write a good one because One MacDonough Place (OMP) deserves it. Yes there are bigger, fancier places, but my mom didn't want big and fancy; she wanted one that felt like home. She's been there 3 years and loves it and has made some very close, wonderful friends with other residents and staff alike. I spend many hours there myself, and it's a lovely place - beautiful rooms and grounds; staff is like family; many activities (baking, gardening, poetry, art, music, word games, bingo, religious programs such as Rosaries, board games, etc.). If you're looking around, I would include this place. [Its price is comparable if not lower than other places, and they don't nickel and dime you after you're in, as other places - because it's non-profit. That's an important distinguishing factor.] My mom had seen other places, but when she walked into OMP, she said "THIS IS THE ONE" and she never looked back. It feels good to see her so comfortable and happy. The food is pretty good too. They are very open to suggestions from residents and family members. I would ask for the results of the resident surveys if you're going around from place to place -- the residents love OMP. That's what's important, not how palatial the foyer is.

No Bang For Your Buck Here

I have to say this about the place:
If you are applying to live there, they fawn all over you, really roll out the red carpet, then again, if you are being charged 3,600.00 and up a month, why wouldn't they.. They aren't foolish, they want your money.

The apartments are sub-par, nothing spectacular, actually they are quite small in footage.. I was shocked to see that you really have no kitchen to speak of. The refrigerator is one you would find in a college dorm, actually you can't even call it a kitchen, its a few small cabinets on the wall and the stove looks like a few built in hot-plates.

Now they say they offer everything you could ever want in retirement age, yet when I was there, all I could think of was an "ant-farm". I sat in the lobby and watched people come from a dinner area and then wander in all different directions, like they were lost, or maybe hoping to find something to do. I call the place an ant-farm because if you ever see one , thats just what it looked like, only with people. I felt like I was watching aTwilight Zone episode.

They do offer you 3 meals a day and if you dine there daily, you will find yourself eating the same meals over and over again.
I didn't see much for activities.
The place is very small and dank looking, if I am to be honest.
Parking is a problem there as well.

On a whole, I have to say , it is not worth the monies they seek every month. The apartments are old and really should be brought up to more modern times.
After viewing several of these assistant living locales, I would have to say, this isn't a place you'd want to live out the rest of your life. There are many more nicer communities out there and certainly more reasonable in price.

Feels like one big family

All personnel are very attentive no matter what their position is. I feel comfortable that all mom's needs are being met. I was very impressed with the promptness of having a rehab therapist work with mom immediately after moving in and taking care of her medications. The meals are all delicious and menu is very good for variety.

Small Location not ideal. ...

Small Location not ideal. Not high on list.

Assisted living.

Assisted living.

At One McDonough Place, a not-for-profit community owned by Middlesex Hospital, we offer seniors a dynamic lifestyle in our Assisted Living community. Each resident enjoys the benefits of independence, with the security of knowing that caring, skilled assistance is available whenever needed.