Merrill Gardens at Renton Centre - Renton, WA

Dining -- Decent food, slow service, but wait staff is excellent. Had no idea you could find young people this personable, courteous, patient and fun. Menu is primarily meat and sauces, sorely lacks fresh fibrous vegetables (spinach, broccoli, sprouts, etc.) that aren't boiled out. Iceberg lettuce salads are mostly water. Seniors need fiber more than high-sodium soups and heavy sauce.

Living Space -- Nice, modern, clean, fully functional, quiet. Weekly service available for cleaning large linens. A tavern across the street gets a little loud sometimes, but what can you do.

Living Services -- No category here but would give 1.5 stars. While courteous and personable, unnecessarily slow and mildly inattentive regarding repairs and installations, to the point you wonder if you're being disregarded.

Overall, staff seems to host many events and activities for residents to enjoy, and my mother is happy with her living environment, which is the most important thing.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that your mother is happy. We will also make sure to communicate your concerns with the team.

When Seeing The Community

We had a tour and they were a great place and it could have been fine for my In-Law. There were a large number of Asians for him to speak Cantonese and they were close to our home. I felt he would have been comfortable but it was not the right fit for him.

Nice Place!!

i have no complaints of how things are going for my self since I have recently made the move into this community. The staff have been attentive to our needs and have made us feel right at home in our new living environment. I like the dinning experience with the other residents as well as the activity program they have available. I would recommend this place to anyone interested.

comfort for mom...

So far since my mother moved into the Merrill Gardens at Renton Centre, things have ben going well. It has been a good fit nad I think she is doing fine.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for letting us know how Merrill Gardens has been since you moved your mother to the community. Please let us know if we can do anything additional for you or your mother.

Poor meals

I visited my friends in their apartment and was given a tour by them. Except for the high cost, I was favorably impressed until we had lunch.
The salad bar was fresh, but very limited. The entrees, however, were almost inedible. Fish tasted old and unpleasant. The ribs were burned and tough and left uneaten. Friends said they had a new chef who was trained at Cordon Blue, I believe. If so, he must have graduated at the bottom of his class...or he falsified his resume. Desert was good, but I am sure it was purchased from elsewhere..
This is an expensive place. No excuse for poor food. I'll pass.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate that you took your time to provide us with this detailed feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with the food. We are sharing this feedback with our culinary team in order to help make any needed improvements.

Mom Is Going To Be Happy

My mother will be moving into this community soon. She is very pleased with what this community has to offer. The staff is kind and very helpful. They were informative and answered our questions. We have tried four meals, and all of them tasted great. I feel that my mother will be comfortable here and they are going to take good care of her.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing us this positive review. We are excited that your mother has chosen our community and we hope to provide a great environment for her. Please let us know if you have any questions or need anything additional.

Lack of empathy

General manager is unfriendly and uptight. Time for a vacation or new job! Nurse appears to be there to collect paycheck. Not interested in residents. Upper management needs to look at the huge turnover and complaint of residents. This echos through the place! Too expensive for what you get for your money.

Terrible service in dining area because of huge turnover. Underpaid employees keeps the turning over. [removed] Management only cares about those dollies $$$$$$. [removed]. Stay away! Look elsewhere for your loved one!

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback and we are sorry to hear about your experience. We take this feedback seriously and we are working with the team to review the details and follow up as needed. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly with any additional information.

expensive

It has been a good experience at Merill Gardens for my father. It is a nice clean facility. The staff members are very friendly there. The only thing that I hear is that is a little more expensive than we were even thinking it would be. That is really my only complaint though.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. We take pride in offering a quality environment for residents and we are pleased to hear that your father has enjoyed our clean community and friendly team members. We do appreciate hearing about the concerns over cost. If you would like to discuss anything in detail, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Stick 'em up, this is a hold up!

I just about choked yesterday when the Representative told me there was a non-negotiable, one time, non-refundable, $5,000 "Community fee" BEFORE my Aunt could move in. I see from a previous responder that this fee was only $1,000 in September of last year. This is nothing less than high level extortion. She couldn't believe that I'd never heard of this type of fee before in any of the other three Brookdale Facilities that I've had Relative live in the previously. I'm going to cancel our application and keep my Aunt at the Brookdale Facility at Admiral Heights where there is no "Community Fee".

Amanda Warren

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience. We would be glad to speak with you further to help resolve your concerns. Please email me directly at [removed] and we can set up a time to speak one on one. I look forward to hearing from you. - Shelley Thompson, Merrill Gardens Sr. General Manager

My experience with Merrill Gardens at...

My experience with Merrill Gardens at Renton Centre has been a very good one. They have been very easy to deal with, and I feel my mom has improved in the time she's been there. She's really enjoying the food, and starting to ease into the activities they offer. Overall she's happy, and I have already recommended Merrill Gardens to others. I rate them a 5 out of 5.

Big Mistake

I lived there for three months and did not like it at all. In my opinion, there were no activities to speak of and the atmosphere was cold. There was a monthly drawing of names to sign up for bus trips. If the trips were popular, there was a chance they would be booked up. I had to pay $1000.00 up front to get in. It was an expensive boring three months.

Amanda Warren

Thank you taking the time to write us this review. We're sorry to learn of the problems described, but are glad you brought these specific issues to our attention so we can improve the activities program. If you have any more concerns please let us know.

I did not feel comfortable and welcome.

I did not feel comfortable and welcome. They told me that I didn't qualify, without even checking to see my financial situation. I just didn't feel comfortable there, the community was not very diverse, culturally.

Amanda Warren

We are very disappointed to learn of your experience. If you are willing to give us additional feedback, please call us so we may speak directly.

the pricing was a little co...

the pricing was a little confusing. Not my first choice

The intake staff are helpful, friendl...

The intake staff are helpful, friendly, and supportive.

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are happy to learn of your positive experience with our team members. If there is any additional information you need, please feel free to contact us at [removed].

Nancy Phalen conducted the tour. The...

Nancy Phalen conducted the tour. The lobby and dining room feels very institutional, like a large college dormitory. The food was unappetizing. The rooms were very clean and well appointed, though a bit small.

Aunt, Uncle, Dad and I toured this pl...

Aunt, Uncle, Dad and I toured this place and have taken grandma there twice for a visit. Since Grandma knows someone who lives there, this place seems to be the most comfortale place to go.

Merrill Gardens at Renton Centre will be located in downtown Renton across from the new transit center, near shopping and restaurants. The 24 million dollar project will provide 155 apartments with a combination of studios, one bedroom and two bedroom apartments. Merrill Gardens at Renton Centre is Now Open and will offer all of the amenities of a home without the hard work. Call today to reserve your apartment!