Aljoya Mercer Island - Mercer Island, WA

Joy at Aljoya

This is a wonderful home for seniors located in a very safe place for one who loves to walk as I do. There are many activities, music, trips, talks, etc, I think it is so much better than being in a house that can become so lonesome.

Jacob Almo

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, Harry! We are happy to have had you as part of our community for so many years, and it's wonderful to hear that you are getting so much out of living here.

A great place

My mother lived at Aljoya for over 3 years. The staff and the entire environment were great. It was a very classy and well kept up spot to live at. The staff knew everyone’s name, including mine. I would highly recommend Aljoya. The food was very nice, there was a pool and Jacuzzi to use as well. The parking was very easy.

Quality service and caring staff

After my mom passed away several years ago, my dad grew more and more isolated living alone in their home. When we'd visit, he'd take us to Lilly's for breakfast and show off all of the amenities that Aljoya had to offer, and would introduce us to the friendly staff who always greeted him so warmly. We could tell he wanted to live there, and he just needed a little help figuring out how to make it happen, which we ultimately did.

He joined the community just in time. For the first year he was really happy and fairly independent, but later on, as his health began to decline, he was able to get the increased levels of support that he needed.

The staff were always trustworthy, patient, gracious, supportive, informative and communicative. I have the highest regard for the organization, the staff, and the quality of service and care that they provide.

It's the staff, stupid.......

Moving to Aljoya over two years ago was one of the top three life changing decisions I have made for myself during my lifetime. Once again I nailed my big decision. Never did I dream I could be so happy living in a retirement home.

We have all heard about the interesting, accomplished people you meet who are living in retirement homes but one seldom hears about the staff. Here at Aljoya we have a staff who all take the time and effort to be sure the residents are well served. They are so responsive and always seem to be looking for answers that will favor the resident. Also, the staff is not just wonderful to the residents, they all seem to get along with each other, which is a big plus and adds to the friendly atmosphere at Aljoya.

I have made some good friends here and always look forward to meeting more. Our monthly meetings, one run by Aljoya and one run by the residents give each of us a chance to make comments and are a great way to solve issues. The available trips and events are first rate and numerous. There are many chances for the residents to socialize, with parties like root beer floats, wine & cheese, floor parties, or theme oriented parties, etc.

There is so much here to be thankful for that a list would be endless. What we could do is just change the name to “Enjoya”.

This is Living to the fullest

I have taken the tour with my mother and was
very impressed with the quality of the condos (layout, kitchen, bathroom). She liked the access to the pool and all the different activities.
Lilly's restaurant service and food was outstanding, fresh and local.
Employees very friendly and energetic too

My husband and I have been at Aljoya ...

My husband and I have been at Aljoya Mercer Island for a little over an year and we enjoy it very much! No more lawn mowing, cooking for dinner, figure out repairs etc.
Being gluten intolerant (Celiac) is not easy but Chef Jonathan with his crew keeps me from having gluten reactions. Our kitchen prepares dinners that we all can eat. The menu with Healthy Choices, Daily Specials and lots of other choices is quite divers. We get 25 dinners included in our monthly dues.
We have daily exercise classes, lectures and always something to do. Transportation is available too.
Mercer Island is a small town and we can enjoy walking to stores and neighboring parks etc.

A great retirement choice.

Aljoya on Mercer Island is a beautiful facility located in the heart of town, especially convenient for seniors who like to walk to nearby shops, parks, and the waterfront. Our own restaurant and coffee area provide good service and opportunity for association with other residents and visitors, a welcome alternative to the lonesomeness that so often comes with aging. There is opportunity for singing, games, including boccie, swimming, exercise, and trips, It is great to not have to worry about the plumbing, maintenance, and other problems so common in most homes. (Even as I write this a plumbing problem is being fixed within a few hours of my report to the front desk.)
I doubt that there are many if any better alternatives for retirement!

Thoughts of a long-time resident

I have lived in Aljoya Mercer Island since it opened in September, 2008. I moved here from Boston because one of my sons lives with his family on the Island.
In my opinion, there are three criteria to consider in choosing a Senior Living Residence (SLR). The first is the physical aspects of the building containing the resident apartments and the associated amenities, such as the dining area, pool, theatre, conference rooms, garage, etc. The second are the rules and regulations that determine the day-by-day operations. The third, and to me, the most important, are the human resources, comprising the managerial staff and the service employees.
I believe that on all three counts, Aljoya rates an Excellent. However, it is possible and even probable that there are a number of SLRs that rank highly on the first criterion; good architectural design is prevalent and makes itself apparent. But when we come to the second and third components, that’s where Aljoya shines most brightly.
The bottom line is that I appreciate being taken good care of. I look forward every day to a dinner menu that has variety and good food (I make my own breakfast and lunch), to a varied social program, including bus trips-- and I even found a number of good bridge partners-- to getting fast response to requests for apartment repairs (fortunately, all minor so far), and to top flight medical care when needed.
In conclusion, this is the place to be.

A beautiful, compassionate, gorgeous residence not to be missed

I am glad to share the incredible joy the Mercer Island Aljoya family gave me, my father, and my brother and sister during the last year and a half of his life.
My father passed away peacefully in his Aljoya residence on August 31st, with his family by his bedside. He was 84 years old.
About two years earlier we had become very worried about his health and safety. He was living alone in his home of thirty years. He was afflicted with Parkinson's disease, and had fallen several times. His ability to manage day to day living was becoming more and more difficult, including hygiene, cooking, and driving to doctors’ appointments or the market. It was worrisome for me, as I live nearby and was always wondering if he was ok. Television became his only pastime.
We started exploring options, and a friend recommended Aljoya. She was a resident at Aljoya Mercer Island and LOVED it there. My father did NOT want to move, but was willing to at least take a look. Long story short, we convinced him to sell his house and move to Mercer Island Aljoya.
What a gorgeous, bright, beautiful, spotless place to be! Their mission statement and compassion is embodied by every single person that works there. He socialized, took trips, went shopping, exercised, and loved to play bocci ball. He really enjoyed dining with friends at Lily's, and the food was spectacular. My father had a two bedroom residence, so my sister could bring her dog Jake and stay with my father. His residence looked out at a beautiful garden. It was safe, comfortable, and peaceful. My father was very kind, loving, and had a wonderful sense of humor. He was able to share those qualities with those around him, and it made his life complete.
Everyone at Aljoya went above and beyond any expectations. When my father had a stroke his wishes were to not be kept alive artificially. We took him home to Aljoya to his residence, and for a week lived there while my father passed. It seemed as one big family took care of us, and my dad.
I cannot thank the Mercer Island Aljoya family enough for the quality of my fathers’ life, and the kindness and comfort given in his death. Every stereotype of a retirement community is shattered by Aljoya. I will be one of their most vocal champions, as will the rest of my family.

Welcome to Aljoya Mercer Island, an Era Living community. Aljoya offers a warm, vibrant lifestyle, a vast array of amenities, rich programming, and exceptional Independent Living, Assisted Living, and wellness nursing services.

Aljoya is located in the heart of Mercer Island, surrounded by shops, restaurants, cafes, walking paths, and Sculpture Park. Aljoya has 114 upscale residences, ranging from 750 to 2,000-square-feet.

Residents of Aljoya experience a maintenance-free lifestyle, including a full service restaurant with chef-prepared selections, on-site Wellness Center staffed by a Registered Nurse, weekly housekeeping and linen services, scheduled transportation and professionally maintained common areas and gardens.

Residents enjoy choosing from nearly 200 Life Enrichment events each month, including regular outings to the symphony and other cultural events, a variety of fitness, aquatic, and health classes, lectures, garden parties, chef demos, wine and jazz concerts, professionally curated art galas, and much more. Residents find that there are endless opportunities to pursue their passions, mingle with good friends, or simply sit back and enjoy the ambiance.

Era Living, a respected and recognized leader in retirement living throughout the Puget Sound, is a private, Seattle-based company founded by Eli and Rebecca Almo. Since 1987, Era Living has been dedicated to fostering a healthy and engaging environment of whole body wellness, culture, warmth and social fulfillment, providing exceptional healthcare services and enriching activities at all eight communities. Era Living's Wellness and Active Aging Programs are developed in collaboration with the University of Washington School of Nursing - one of the nation's top-rated nursing schools. It's this type of innovative and vibrant approach to senior living that makes Era Living communities so desirable.