Marilyn Manor - Scottsdale, AZ

Not recommended

This is a very sub-par, overpriced group home. Staff are overly fatigued due 2 people (husband and wife who live on property) working 24/7 days per week. Frequently short tempered with helpless residents. They have strict visiting hours, denying family members time with their loved ones during precious moments as they approach their end of life.

Not recommended

Blindsided with $500 moving fee, was not told until we arrived.

My 83 year old dad fell and broke his hip, the rehab he was at, [name removed] (Please also don't go here. The Home Health nurse who evaluated my dad said LC did not put an order for Physical Therapy so this delayed my dad's progress. My dad was there for 20 days and slept 5 nights and days a week, and I can tell you they are understaffed and overworked and their care for people reflected this.)

Anyway, LC connected us to a social worker who recommended Marilyn Manor. We paid $3500 for the first month, and $1700 for the second half for the following month. However, we were blindsided with a $500 moving fee we were not told about until the day my dad arrived. The nurse owner said, I should have asked during the tour. Wait what? I shouldn't have to ask, it should have been stated in the first place. The right kind of group home would have the decency to tell someone before you move in.

The social worker who referred us to them didn't know, apparently also didn't tell her, which is still a mystery because I was told they knew each other well. It escapes me why such an important information was never discussed. Maybe it was the social worker's responsibility to have asked considering she has been doing it for 20 years and I shouldn't have to find out until it's too late to turn around. Regardless, the right kind of group home would have the decency to tell someone before you move in. I'm still in shock by this.

Needless to say we went ahead and paid the additional $500 because the hospital bed already got delivered and dad was already too tired to move anymore that day. I could not help but feel deceived and anxious withing 30 minutes of being there. My trust was already broken, how could I feel comfortable around them? The feeling overwhelming grew as the days went on. My dad moved in [date removed] and we only stayed for 12 days, we never got the rest of our money back. Even then, they were expecting for us to pay for the rest of the $1700 for the second month because of the contract. Thankfully the social worker was able to work it out.

My overall rating of the owners are as stated. The rest of the ratings reflects their home and staff who were friendly and tried their best to make us feel welcome. I was there everyday, mostly from 10-4PM, their visiting hours. The thing that bothered me the most, was my dad would have been sitting around the dining table most of the time, I knew if I didn't get him out of there soon, he would become immobile and senile way too quickly. In fairness, I suppose that's the nature of the environment.

We brought him home but had to get a $5k Rifton Tram machine just so we could safely transfer him around. We certainly wished we used the money on the machine in the first place and not have dealt with group homes. We are doing more exercises with him than the group home ever did. Insurance, PT, and OT visits are another story. The disbelief part I can't get off my mind is that the social worker still brought people over to tour the group home and when I went to LC to tell the case manager what happened, right in front of me, she was telling another family member about Marilyn Manor. I'm still in shock but it does take time to correct something. Choose a group home or rehab center who acts with integrity, morals and transparency. I know people make mistakes and deserves the chance to make it right. I just wished Marilyn Manor did the right thing with us and I hope I spared you from experiencing the same.

A good tour!

When I toured Marilyn Manor, the person that took us around was welcoming and informative. They were able to answer any questions about the home and give us good information. The facility was in good shape, but what we did not like was the fact that there was nothing set in writing as far as pricing. The price was different on their website as the price they actually told me when I arrived, I was shocked. Other than that, it was a god you but not what we were looking for.

Caring excellence is our expertise … our mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of the seniors under out care.

The Greenway Manor management and staff brings Arizona’s Senior community the best of both worlds… compassionate, quality care and world class service. At The Greenway Manor you or your loved one can expect nothing less than the very best in all that we do. While other care professionals strive for caring excellence, our care comes straight from the heart. There is no challenge too great for us to handle. We choose to care for others and believe where there is a will, there is a way.

The Greenway Manor is proud to serve North Scottsdale Senior Community for generations to come. As we all grow older, it’s great to know The Greenway Manor will always be a shoulder to lean on

Your caring friends at The Greenway Manor….