Brookdale Central Paradise Valley - Phoenix, AZ

Brookdale Place at Paradise Valley provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Nice Place!!

I have no complaint of how things had went for my mother and I during our tour of this community. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. I thought they had spacious apartments for the residents as well as the dinning room. It was just not the right location for us but I was pleased with the experience.

Care for mom

We toured this nice community and liked the staff that was able to answer the questions on the care that is offered. This community is clean and we liked the environment. They did not have the care that we needed. The menu was good and the activities would have been helpful for her. We would highly recommend this community for the care of a loved one.

A pleasant tour!!

I had a good tour of Brookdale Central Paradise Valley. The community was clean and well maintained. The people there were all very friendly and helpful, it was just not what we were looking for at the time.

Horrible Experience!!

I recently moved my mom out of this community after just twelve days because how horrible of an experience we had. The staff could care less about the residents and there never enough of them working to accommodate anyone's needs. We where promised upon move in that there would be a nurse on campus 24/7 and that was not the case at all.[Removed]. is the nursing director and she is a mess on how she handles things and was not there the night my mother had an accident like she was supposed to be. When I had asked why she was not there she stated that she sometimes works from home which makes no sense at all. [Removed] is the directer and it is absolutely impossible to get a call back from her. This place is your best friend when they are trying to get you to move in but as soon as we did it was awful and repeated promises where broke. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Nice Location!!

The location was really the only thing I was pleased with at this community. I did not like how all of the apartments where inside a building and felt like an institution. There was lots of long hallways and foul smell throughout the building. I was just not impressed with the overall complex and would not want my loved one living in this environment.

Enjoyed meeting with the head of social services, [Removed]. I enjoyed a good feeling talking with other employees and residents.

Would not Recommend

My Mother was here for 1 year and 10 months starting in June 2015. During that 1st summer she had to have a portable air conditioner in her apartment for 3 months because of poor air-conditioning which meant having a unit put next to the sliding patio glass and screen door with a tube running outside to pull the air in to be cooled by the unit. There had to be cardboard box sides taped to the open area because the doors could not be close and secured. I have photos of that situation. This meant anyone outside of her patio COULD have opened the screen and glass doors any time. Also during the following winter she had to have a space heater brought in to keep the apartment warm. It sat in her closet until we moved her out in April of 2017. Water was shut off because of pipe problems and she missed her shower schedule a couple times as well as them not being able to use dishes and silverware in the dinning room because water was not available for washing the dishes. Finally when given notice to them of us removing her from this facility I was told that I SHOULD PRO-RATE THE FINAL BILL (because she was moving in the middle of the month) rather then them re-issuing me a bill themselves. I am still getting statements from them saying money is owed. Also watch your billing. Charges were changed with out notice for services after having been paying the same rate for those services for the past 16 months. If this continues I intend to contact certain tv stations to see if they'd be interested in doing a follow up piece on them. My Mother was a very easy person to care for. She never wanted us to complain about the conditions because she didn't want the staff to think badly of her. The people who actually did care for her needs daily were really VERY good but that facility itself is in need of complete overhaul.

Tour for my father's care

I toured this community I did not like the community and found it to be not to be clean. It did not seem to be a positive environment like we wanted. The staff was nice and the activities would have been offer for my father. We would strongly recommend that families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Based on Limited Time

My mom did well during the first week of moving into the community. The service has been phenomenal. They stepped up the game as far as helping and caring for the residents. I would recommend this community from we shortly experienced.

I Had No Interest

As on option I went on a tour and found that this looks like an old apartment complex. The way that it was set up would be hard for my mom to navigate through and it was not well maintained with an odor. I spent a short time visiting, I knew it wasn't going to work and I had no interest.

One of my favorite tours!!

This was one of my favorite tours that I had taken of the different communities I had looked at for my mother. The staff was very friendly and seemed to be organized with how they ran the facility. I was impressed with the apartments and the different amenities they had available to all the residents. It just did not have have the memory care unit that she would eventually need available. This would have been our choice if they did have it though. Great place!!

My Thought Of The Tour

This community was fine when we visited. It was a nice clean place. The community did not feel as welcoming as the community we chose. The staff were nice and seemed accommodating.

Christmas caroling s greeted us in the lobby. Everyone was grinning. Our guide was energetic and informative. There are lots of activities here it was a good place for dad and mom

Too many issues for the cost.

My mom has been there for going on 4 years. It was great at first. The food was good and the person in charge would drop what she is doing if you need help. No issues with comfort for air condition and heating. But this past year it has really change. Like most business the hands of management changes. This person redecorated the dinning room and made it the appearance look nice to the visitors. But the food really went down hill. My mother and her other relative that lives there both complain that the food is awful. They said the spice they put in the food ruins it. They seem to like to cook a lot of fish.
Then there is the air-condition. It can get very hot in AZ. Every time I turn around the air is broke and she can't sleep in her bed. She says they drag a big fan in she has to sleep on the couch! One night she said it was so bad she nearly slept outside of her room in a chair! For her paying near $3,600 a month this is horrible. She got a notice the rent is going up in Jan of 2017 nearly $200.00 more a month. She is moving out real soon. I would not put my parent in this place. It is high robbery for the building apparently needs new cooling system. They need to change their food.

It's all good!

The community was clean and well kept. The only issue that I had was I called the nurses and requested a call back and never got one. The problem did get resolved and I have had no further issues. Other than that the community is awesome about keeping me informed about my loved one. The meals are healthy and they give a good variety. I would most certainly recommend them.

They have movies every night!!

Things are going pretty well at this community. The staff seem to be very good. They are engaged, involved and take feedback and criticism well. They keep the community clean. The food is pretty good and the dining room is nice. They offer a variety of activities including fashion and talent shows. This is a good non plush community.

5 Stars All The Way!!

My mother has been engaging in the activities provided. I am so happy that she is enjoying the community. The staff is wonderful. Everything is well maintained. The people are fantastic. I really like that in this community she gets that one on one care that she is looking for. The set up is also very good. I would definitely recommend the community to friends and family.

The Brookdale Central Paradise Valley had a very strong odor. During my tour the smell of infusers was very strong this gives me headaches. The tour guide was knowledgeable. The staff that i met was friendly. It was an up-kept community. Activities are offered to the people that reside there.

Staff are anxious to help!

I am very pleased with Brookdale Central Paradise Valley. They offer a variety of activities like Rosary and Communion on Monday, music, and other entertainment that comes into the community. The community is very clean and I am very pleased with Lucy who does an excellent job cleaning my room. The food is better than average with a variety of choices.

Good decision.

After finally getting mother to Brookdale, all of the service people were very helpful. Not to mention the residents. All very friendly and welcoming. They checked on her, brought food, chatted, etc. I think I made an excellent choice by signing mother up at this facility. It's like a big home. Of course, we've been there just a week. But it's a good first impression. thanks.

Our mom

So many wonderful people. We are so impressed with this facility.

Not As New

During my tour of this nice community I saw that this place needs a complete renovation or make-over. Everything seemed to be outdated all around and this is the main reason I did not choose this place.

Mom Loves It

My mother is doing very well and I'am pleased with everything. It is a nice and clean facility. They are caring for her and her needs very well. I've no issues with this community. I'am confident about the type of care she is receiving. I know she is safe and there are plenty of things for her to take advantaged of.

Not worth the money, aircondition breaks down alot and food really stinks!

My mom has been living at Brookdale for 4 years. It was nice at first and was feeling good about leaving mom there. We ate there with her in dinning room for a week. The dinning feeling was pleasant, felt like a restaurant feeling. Food was good and had a lot of choices. They showed us this system that allowed them to know if the resident had left their room in the morning. They would checked to see if they were ok if they never left.
But as the years went by and they change the staff in charge of decisions we noticed things going down hill. The system they bragged about at their doors were removed. The dinning had changed and my mom complains that they seem to love serving fish and chicken. She said the food was awful. They redecorated the dinning room for the visitors but the food really stinks! They she tells me that half of the Summer last year that the air condition was broke. She had to sleep on the couch cause the thing they brought into her place wouldn't cool her bedroom. She then said the water gets turned off a lot and then the heat didn't work at times in the Winter. She says they don't hesitate to raise the rent but stuff keeps breaking down and the food is awful. She showed me her menu. I got to admit it had strange food items. Like rice and meat balls. I want to get my mother out of there. I feel sad that she has to live her last days in this place. I wouldn't put my parent in this place. I feel bad my mother is in there.

It Is Okay

This community has nice and friendly staff and seemed to clean everywhere. I did get to see the salon which is clean too. The only thing I did not like is the buffet. The staff did not serve me my meal and the food just did look fresh, i didn't understand the concept of the dining arrangements.

Highly Recommend this Facility

First I would like to start off by saying that this facility has the best staff I have ever met. The people here are friendly and caring. The Executive Director talks to all of the patients that live there. She is always hugging them and smiling when I see here in the living room. The only thing is the building has had some issues, but it seems like they have taken care of all those problems. I can't say enough about how happy my mom is living there and I am grateful for this facility. I know that I can ask questions and everyone there is so helpful. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a home for their loved ones. Thank you for letting me write this review. Signed Very Happy!

Not A Good Experience

My experience with this community was not a good one. There were many things about this community that I didn't like, and one of those things was that the facility wasn't very clean and my apartment I signed to move into was not ready when I got there. The food is not good, I feel it could be presented better with better quality. Staff here were excellent, they were very kind to me and drove me around. There was too much care for me here, and I would recommend it to someone who needed more care and attention.

Not completely happy with Brookdale.

Our plan was just to have my father in law there on respite until he could gain his strength and return home. For the time that he was there it really just didn't seem like they were able to handle the level of care that he needed as promised prior to selecting the place. A few days before it was time for him to go home he ended falling at Brookdale and the way the staff handled it really left me quite confused. When we arrived to take him home we ended up taking him directly to the hospital because of the fall. I would say that if you are considering this place it is for seniors that are high functioning and not requiring to much care. Brookdale has plenty of activities for the residents and the food there is pretty good.

STAY AWAY

I would highly discourage anyone to even consider living here. I have had several friends live at Brookdale over the last few years and I must say this place has gone downhill. The employee morale is at a all time low. Its no wonder the way Brookdale treats their employees. They are not allowed to have friendships with the tenants and the tenants feel if they get too friendly the employees will and have been reprimanded. The units are in very poor condition they need to be remolded and they are notorious for plumbing problems. Worst of all BED BUGS are rampant. They lie to the tenants and tell them they are termites! The food is sub-par at best. I have made several complaints on the behalf of my friends and Brookdale management just reassures me all my concerns will be looked into. STAY AWAY from this place...............

Assisted

Assisting a friend in finding a place to live . They liked the Brookdale living facility a lot. Close to shopping .

It Was A Good Experience

It was a very old building and was having problems from time to time with breakdowns and plumbing and electrical work and stuff like that. Parking was bad too. The staff members were good people; accommodating and friendly. I have no complaints except for the breakdown of the building.

certain areas are nice and others are not

At Brookdale Central Paradise Valley certain areas are nice and others are not. The staff is very friendly there. There are some things that need improving. The carpet in the hallway, is absolutely filthy. Also there are not enough tables in their dining room. A lot people don't want to sit with other people. I think they need more tables for two if they want to sit alone. The variety of lunch could be better. The plumbing and air conditioning took a long time to fix. Landscaping needs improving. They have some blinds laying around that need to go to the garbage. The parking upstairs on the north side is very dark. The carpet really is the main thing. It is just gross.

My Loved One Loves It

I wish we would have known the extent of the construction being done there because we would have held off because one of the things they were doing is replacing the air conditioning and that concerned me with people in there 70's and 80's living there. Other than that my loved one has enjoyed herself there and has made friends and likes it.

I had trouble getting them to provide the services she needed.

We had a short stay, she had a lovely apartment, that part would get a five. I had trouble getting them to provide the services she needed. I couldn't reach anyone there. The front desk didn't have numbers. I couldn't get the nurses to start seeing her or get them to call me back. Everyone talks about their plan of care but it was like there was none. They were johnny on the spot when I was looking for placement, but once we got in there, I couldn't get anything going.

So far So Good

So Far So Good! My overall rating of the Brookdale Central Paradise Valley is 4 stars. I rate the cleanliness 4 stars. I rate the friendliness 4 stars. I rate the value 4 stars. I rate the care services 4 stars. I rate the activities 4 stars. Everything has been going good so far. I would recommend this community to anyone who is looking for a 4 star assisted living facility with a good value. This is a good place.

I would not consider this place

Out of all of the facilities that I toured this would be last on the list and I would not consider it. I would not place my mother here. My overall rating of this property is 1 star. I would rate the cleanliness 3 stars. The were friendly, so I will give that 4 stars. I would rate the value, and activities 3 stars. I cannot rate the care services because I don't have enough experience with that area.

I went and looked at this facility. It seemed good fairly reasonable price. The director and staff answered all my questions and was very nice about everything.

This was my least favorite on this day of tours. It had that old motel smell and feel with the low ceilings, electronic door locks, restaurant dining room, etc. The fellow there was friendly enough but I just got the feeling he was trying to sell me instead of help me.

I am quite pleased.

I am quite pleased. I have lots of familiarity. I think the people are just outstanding. Every place has it's idiosyncrasies. Here the only thing is the parking lot is a little weird. The girl that runs the kitchen does a pretty good job. There is a good variety and it's pretty good compared to most assisted living places.

Residents need better treatment

Witnessed the Executive Director arguing with a male resident during a resident meeting with staff. She was extremely rude to the resident. The resident was only bringing up the point that was in the best interest of the residents. His point was a real health concern for the residents and she let him have it. I am looking for a new facility for my parent because this was the most unethical and poor excuse of leadership I have ever witnessed. If the resident acts this way, how is my parent being treated.

Nice place, overall

Overall things have gone very well at Brookdale Place at Paradise Valley! Jennifer, the sales girl we worked with, was very nice. One of the nurses, Nai, is also very friendly and great to work with, the other nurse could be a bit more friendly though. They also do a great job with the food here, I've had a chance to try it myself.

Loved this place. We put m...

Loved this place. We put my Dad on the waiting list. I liked their care pricing and how it is not done as one flat fee. They wait to see what is needed to specify it to my Dads needs, so we are not paying for something we don't really need.

Great place, liked it

Great place, liked it

The food was amazing!

The food was amazing! The chef was awesome. When you walk into Brookdale - it’s a cluster of people in the main TV room. It just looked a little bit crowded. It might a little overwhelming. Cindy is an awesome nurse though. If I could have kept anything from this community it would have been the chef and Cindy.

They were really clean, and very friendly.

They were really clean, and very friendly. When we were looking at places we thought the food was pretty good, then it was just ok. I felt like it was a good value, they had more space for his money. The apartment was quite large, compared to some others.

The staff is excellent.

The staff is excellent. They seem very fair in price in comparison to others. You pay for what you get but the care you get is very good. The food is very good. The housekeeping comes once a week and they are very good. They might be a little understaffed from time to time. The building itself is very old, so the plumbing is a little worn and outdated, but it's not something that can be fixed for each individual apartment. It would have to be completely renovated. It's well kept and clean so they do everything they can. Most of the staff is very accommodating.

Brookdale Place

My parents have only lived at Brookdale Place for about a month. Everything is going pretty well but the food leaves a bit to be desired. Pressed turkey instead of a roasted turkey breast. Dry hamburgers and overcooked vegetables. I would give the center better ratings if they improved the food. The center is very clean (the washers could be cleaned better in the laundry rooms), but overall, it is very good. The staff is very friendly and caring. The nurse and the physical therapy staff are very nice. Jennifer, who helped us from the beginning, is excellent. My parents have a very nice apartment that is larger than any of the other centers I looked at. My parents have a beautiful view of the courtyard and the pool. As with any move, there is an adjustment period, but at this point I would give them pretty high marks.

Good Transportation but the Food Could Improve

The value is okay. The food isn't that great and that's included in the monthly price so that brings down the value. The cuts of meat have lots of fat on them and things like that. The activities are good. She's in independent living so she doesn't get the care but they do clean her apartment once a week and there is shuttle that goes around town. They'll take her where she needs to go and the she just calls them and they'll pick her up.

Tiny Apartments with Mis-matched Cabinets

It was terrible. I didn't like it at all. The apartment was so tiny it was like a dorm room. It had mismatched cabinets and it looked like things things that they just stuck in there, you know? Like they didn't care. It had a little bit of a smell too. It was totally out from the first look at it.

Very nice. Love the idea of three me...

Very nice. Love the idea of three meals a day and eating at any time. The two bedroom was a bit small but doable. Will go back here to have lunch and review the place again.

Dad stayed here. Loved it. Staff kn...

Dad stayed here. Loved it. Staff knew all about him when he came to stay. Lots to do.

Was a nice place. Mother's comment w...

Was a nice place. Mother's comment was that it was big (a lot of walking for her depending on her location).

Private pay 3 meals/day; podiatry

Private pay 3 meals/day; podiatry

Lovely facility. Liked the food and f...

Lovely facility. Liked the food and food service a lot. Facility is nice, but only two really public areas. Also smoking gazebo is really close to the dining room and there appears to be no way to avoid it to get around. Average age 85, but the majority of the people they showed us were in their 90s and not very active. Many of the people there were eating alone.

We toured Brookdale. The Director sh...

We toured Brookdale. The Director showed us around and was absolutely wonderful! Every place should have someone like her on it's staff. The place however seems rather old.