Magnolias of Lancaster - Lancaster, PA

Had a cozy atmosphere

I took a brief tour here. The facility was a little on the small side, but it was nice. There were more residents than we would’ve liked, however, so we wound up not moving her in. However, the Director was very nice and I really liked him. The inside of the building was bright and cheery and the cleanliness seemed fine. They offered more of a home cooking style, nothing fancy, and they seemed to keep things simple. It had a very cozy atmosphere so it didn’t feel so much like an institution, it just wasn’t the right fit for my Mom’s needs.

First Choice Magnolias of Lancaster

I live in Malvern, 48 miles away. I go to visit my wife every day. My three goals for her are Healthy, Safe and Happy. She is all of these thanks to the most caring group of people I have ever seen. I found Magnolias quite by accident, and made an unannounced visit. My impression at first led me to believe it was exactly what I was looking for. A home-like setting; there is no institutional feel anywhere, small in size, sincere interest in each residents care and wellbeing, staffed by loving people who have a vocation, not a job. My initial feelings have turned out to be reality. I have options for her care a mile from my home, but won't move her.

Good, but Some Small Issues

I toured Magnolias while looking for living options for my husband. It seemed like a good community, and one that I could have chosen. The staff appeared very involved and patient. There were two factors in my decision to choose another location: The first was location--a bit farther to drive than our first choice. The second factor was access to enter the community. The outside door is locked and response to the door buzzer was slow--may not be a continual problem, but the first impression was a bit troublesome.

Very Caring and Homey with a Wonderful Dog

This is a good community for my mother. The staff is caring and attentive. They are dedicated to respecting the individuality and dignity of each resident. Her room is large with a beautiful view. My mother greatly enjoys the 2 secure outdoor areas that are well maintained. We like that they have a dog that lives in the community for all the residents to love and enjoy. We would recommend this community for the home-like feel and long-term staff. Family members are always made to feel a welcomed part of the community.

Their a 5 PLUS community

My Aunt has done so well here the staff have taken such good care of her and the community is just beautiful. They offer a lot to their residents with a nice varity on the dining menu for them to choose from. There is a nice patio for them to use and I feel my Aunt is safe here.

My husband's loving care.

We like this community very much . My husband is getting great care with the nice staff. The community is very clean. They do offer him a variety of meals. They have activities for the residents. We would highly recommend the care and the value to other families for the care of there loved one.

I am very grateful for the care and attention given to my husband. He passed recently, and everyone at Magnolias was especially kind to him and me.

Magnolias and my Mother's stay there

I am not sure where to begin. My Mother is now in Lancaster General Hospital, because she fell at Magnolias on Tuesday, the 1st of March 2016. She has bleeding in the brain and we are deciding if we should put a feeding tube in for her. No one from staff had looked in on her for three hours. No one from the staff called the children when she fell for two times .They wanted her to eat breakfast before calling the ambulance. They were not going to call the ambulance, but Thank God, my sister-in-law was there and made the call. The laundry was not done at all for the week she was there. She had no bath. They were suppose to order a bed rail and a fall mat and that never happened. They told us that on Monday a psychologist was going to come to evaluate Mom. That never happened. They made us stay away for four days. That was precious time we could have spent with our Mother and they would not let us. Now my Mother needs skilled care and not sure how long we have with her. She cannot swallow at this point. Does anyone at assistant living places care. I spoke with Heather for an hour. She never apologized or would admit that these things were not right. She wrote some things down and said she would check into it. If she calls me back with what she has found, I will be very surprised. We could get a lawyer, but what good would that do, Mom is not good and I feel Magnolias has failed us. I really would like all the money back that we had given for Mom's short stay.
Some of the people were very friendly and we appreciated them. You need more staff to be able to run a more safe and caring environment for dementia patients. Heather made it sound so wonderful and great when we met with her for the first time, but we will never recommend your facility to anyone we know. I am sorry for this negative note, but my Mother is in very bad condition because of the negligence shown to her and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Our experience is over.

Started out good. Medications were over welming. Constantly given behaverial meds. We understood some of the need but not sure of the Doctor and how they monitored the resident. Change of management and short staffing issues. Not able to care with end of life.
They need more staffing and Registered Nursing in house daily.
We needed closure no contact from management or headquarters after letters were written. This was poor from the facility. Management within the Lancaster facility was all different including staff.

Nice looking place!

I toured this community when I was looking into memory care options for a loved one. Overall I thought this seemed like a very nice place. I liked that although it is all memory care residents, they organize the residents by level of care, so that the higher functioning residents are able to socialize. We ended up choosing another community, but Magnolias of Lancaster is certainly worth a look if you are looking for care options in the area!

Review of Magnolias of Lancaster Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Lancaster, PA

this place looks great - I worry that it might be too small

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with Magnolias of Lancaster. They really seem to have a commitment to treating the whole person here, not just their physical symptoms, they make sure their residents improve mentally and emotionally as well. It has really relieved a lot of my own anxiety knowing that my loved one is somewhere with such caring and competent caregivers. They even do a great job with the food! The meals are nutritious and balanced, and they have a good variety of things available. They're also willing to try and cater to the individual tastes of the residents.

We're very happy with how things have...

We're very happy with how things have gone at Magnolias of Lancaster so far! Everyone here is so friendly, and very accommodating! It does matter when you go in or who you talk to, everyone always stops to say hello. The facility itself is sparkling clean, and very well kept. I really have nothing but good things to say about our experience here!

The entire staff of Magnolias made my...

The entire staff of Magnolias made my Mother feel so welcome. Her room was bright and cheerful and she liked the food. Her last days were filled with love and happiness.

My wife and I visited the f...

My wife and I visited the facility today. It is very nice. It is a possible option for Dad if I have to move him from Berkshire Commons.

Excellent Memory Care Home

I rate Magnolias of Lancaster an overall A. The administration and staff is very attentive to my Mother's needs and answer my questions very quickly 24/7. The facilities are excellent with natural lighting and a sunroom with a patio.
We did have a problem with the room, but this was addressed by the administration and fixed by the maintenance person.

Really Low Functioning

Really low functioning Alzheimer's unit. That one seemed more on the lines of basically where people have reached a point beyond cognizance. If they had been pets, their owners would have put them down. This was the last one we visited before we moved my mom, and of course her memory is bad, so she thought that she was moving here. She got completely stressed out and upset.

Magnolias of Lancaster provides a comfortable, home-like setting with programs and services designed specifically for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or other memory impairments. Magnolias of Lancaster offers private and companion suites in a comfortable neighborhood environment. Unique building features, such as visual cues and walking paths, help residents stay independent and find their way. Twenty-four hour trained staff works closely with each resident to provide personal assistance that promotes independence, dignity and choice. Our life enrichment program enables residents to participate in activities that can enhance self-esteem and maximize quality of life. Services offered at Magnolias of Lancaster include assistance with personal care, three meals and snacks each day, laundry, housekeeping, and life enrichment programs.

Special Features

- Purposefully designed environment, including interior and exterior walking paths, way-finding cues and a home-like setting

- All exterior doors alarmed at all times

- Neighborhoods designed for small groups of residents help to regulate stimulation and create familiarity

- Exterior living spaces include enclosed courtyards and patios

- Training designed to assist staff in managing difficult behaviors and work effectively with the memory impaired

- Life Enrichment and Memory Support Programs