Lexington Health Care Center of Orland Park, - Orland Park, IL

Don't put your loved one at Lexington in Orland Park, Il.

Please do not put your loved one in this Health Care Center My sister was in Lexington for two weeks for rehab on a knee surgery. Nursing staff and 99 percent of the help staff was horrible !! If you asked them for anything, example, a glass of water, they would say they would be right back, never to return. not just one of them, but most of them, nursing staff included did this!! I brought ice packs from home because they didn't have any. they put ice in a flimsy plastic bag that would leak all over the bed, then leave wet sheets for people to sleep on. They didn't have enough sheets to change a bed nor clean towels for daily use. Toilets stopped up with no plumber to fix them for days. bed sheets so thin you could see thru them and they didn't fit the beds. If you ate in your room, you only got leftovers. Nothing that you ordered. Therapy was okay

BEWARE

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. My husband [Removed] was a resident at Lexington Rehab before being rushed to the emergency room where the doctors on duty discovered he had a staph infection(merza) so severe it had eaten into his spinal cord causikng severe pain. His lungs had collapsed, and he had double pneumonia. Thankfully, he passed on June 23rd 2015
If I had not contracted merza caring for him the last six months of his life, I would've filed a law suit against Lexiington of Orland Park. Illinois.

My mom's new home

My mother developed vascular dementia and had notable decline in 2008. She was living alone in her condo she had lived in since 1972. Having been an independent business woman all of her adult life it was difficult for her to move into my house; when it was determined that she required 24/7 care, I took her in, about 4 years ago.
My mom's primary physician suggested [Removed ]on Aging and she was evaluated. They determined that I was in need of help and a person from Help @ Home came to my house for three hours each Monday through Friday morning.
When it became too difficult for me to care for my mom in the evening and weekend without any help, I wondered how I would handle the situation.
After going through a tour of Lexington and filling out the necessary paperwork, all I could do was wait and hope that a bed would become available.
We did get the call and moved my mom into Lexington on April 1st of this year (2016).
If other reviews paint a negative picture of Lexington it may be because they have never had to be in a position to be the caregiver for anyone with advanced dementia. It is the most difficult and rewarding job anyone can experience.
There isn't enough time or space to detail the positive experiences we have had since moving my mom to Lexington, nor do I have words sufficient to express the gratitude and relief for the amazing staff.
If you take the time to be there, which I do since I live less than a mile away and miss being with my mom so I spend time there with her, you start to see just how much compassion the staff has for every single resident.
My experience working in nursing homes as a therapist gives me a platform to speak from. I have yet to see an employee, from car valet, front desk, administration, doctors, CNAs, MAINTAINANCE, cleaning staff, nurses, therapists, finance office personnel, activity staff, and anyone else who happens to be at the Lexington facility delivering either medication, patients, or supplies, not exhibit a pure hearted desire to be there.
And I ask people that say hello to me when I walk in and around the facility, and everyone says hello, truly asking "how are you" and waiting for an answer, if they enjoy working there. The answer is always yes, often times "I love working here".
No one and no place is perfect, on earth that is, and people make mistakes, we all do, so if you read a review that is horribly negative, chances are that is the persons reaction to an unavoidable circumstance that didn't meet their expectations.
I pray daily for the staff and residents at Lexington nursing home of Orland park.

A view after 2 weeks.

My Dad was there for 2 wks. I was there everyday to make sure his needs were met. I would have to search for a nurse, search for a CNA, and search for help in general. My Dad said that it is the worlds worst place and he couldn't wait to get out. Poor communication in general. I could not find answers to any question. When you start to take things in your own hands, i.e., like getting ice water, you have to look for someone to open the locked door to the ice machine. I noticed other patients having to wait for hours to get back to there room after dinner. Patients would push their bell, and lights were on at the front desks forever. It appeared everyone was too busy with there computers or other paperwork type tasks. I was told they are understaffed, but that is no excuse not to do their job.
On the upside, the food was good, I ate with my father so I can attest to that first hand. There were a few good nurses who appeared caring and helpful, but only met two in two weeks. I don't think the overall care is good and would not recommend this place for long time care.

Personal experience

My father was a patient at Lexington Healthcare of Orland Park. He was there for 2 weeks. He will never come back to this facility. I recommend that you do not make the same mistake by having your loved ones be under this facility were things look great in the lobby and on paper.
At the 2 week mark my father developed shortness of breath, chest pain, was sweating, anxiety, feeling that death was nearing, heart rate was 120-140, blood pressure in the 80's systolic, oxygen saturation, mid 80's. All these symptoms started at about 4:30 pm on a Friday, May 1, 2015. My mother arrived there and refused to contact me to tell me about the changes. She says the nurse was notified. Vitals were taken, noted the saturation was low but did not place my father on oxygen. I called at 6 pm spoke to the nurse and informed me that all the symptoms were communicated to the doctor and that everything was being done according to the doctors orders.
I went to the facility because I didn't trust the nurse, she sounded angry and inconvenienced. When I showed up, my father was still struggling, the nurse refused to talk to me. I called the facility and asked to be connected to the doctor, when she answered she said hat nurse assured her my dads vitals signs had improved, NO VITALS NEVER GOT BETTER, someone was lying. I stared the facts to the doctor. Current vitals signs taken by me and since an electrocardiograph was being performed when I arrived, I saw the results myself, sinus tachycardia in the 140s with a left bundle brunch block.
I said to the nurse to please call 911 or I would. She looked at me with a deadly look and said, as she was "wiping her hands" ... "If you call 911, your dads situation will be off our hands and you will be responsible for what happens next."

911 was eventually called, the medics and the new nurse argued in he room as to why they did not called earlier.

[removed]

I understand that patients who have limited mobility have the potential for complication such as pulmonary embolisms, what is frightening is the inability of the clinicians in charge to recognize and report abnormal symptoms. What took so long? Even when there is a language barrier, look at the patient objectively (vital signs) and subjectively (skin color, struggle to breath, inability to speak in full sentences).

What is wrong with our clinicians and why is care different in the evening, the weekends?

great experience

My father spent a month at Lexington. The clinical staff was amazing, they had a specialist for every area that my dad needed. The nurses and cna's were great. My dad couldn't have gone home after his amputation and Lexington was the perfect transition

Nursing Care

My mom can't get out of bed without assistance. She can't go to the bathroom without assistance. She liked the people there but when you're confined to a wheelchair and you can't go to the bathroom without assistance, that's something you have to learn to live with. She is still learning the ins and outs of having to rely on someone all the time. The care was good but we moved her because of price. It was $8000 a month and when she first went there after her fall she needed that kind of nursing care but she doesn't anymore.

There was one that had the different...

There was one that had the different floor type setup but it seemed more hopeful that we could get a room together. One large room with a drape to separate if necessary. It had a few more activities but seemed better than the other ones we visited.

nice and clean. security is great, t...

nice and clean. security is great, the cna's on the floors did not talk much so I not sure about the warm and fuzzy to their clients.

Director requested mom's medical reco...

Director requested mom's medical records to be put on waiting list. I think this facility has two years of private pay before public assistance / medicaid would begin. Mom has blue cross blue sheild as supplement and would be able to keep.

Loved it! Everything was beautiful...

Loved it! Everything was beautiful...

nursing center and spend down-usually...

nursing center and spend down-usually has a waiting list

talked to admissions, they went to in...

talked to admissions, they went to interview my father, we asked to be put on a waiting list

Since 1984, Lexington has been a part of the community helping to serve seniors throughout the Chicagoland suburbs. Our sub acute rehabilitation program is designed specifically for those individuals recovering from a hospital stay or recent surgery, requiring short term rehabilitation and/or skilled care. At Lexington, our program is designed with your goals in mind, to return you home as quick as possible. In the past year, we have successfully rehabilitated over 3500 patients in the Chicagoland area. In a recent satisfaction survey, 99% of the respondents said they were satisfied with the overall quality of the therapy received. We offer physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy up to 7 days per week. Lexington is a leader in therapy outcomes. The average length of stay, percentage of goals met, and return to home rates exceed the Illinois and national average for skilled facilities. We also want your stay to feel like home. Our recent sub-acute remodeling features a completely separate unit designed for short term patients. Amenities include flat screen TV’s, electrical beds, wireless Internet, cable, telephones, state of the art therapy gym, and personal choice dining. We offer private and semi-private rooms. For long-term intermediate and skilled nursing care, you’ll benefit from a staff of medical professionals who treat each resident with respect, and support the family, and are sensitive to the physical and emotional aspects of aging. We know that the key to great care is consistency of the staff taking care of your loved one.