All residents were participating in a "bowling" activity following an ice cream social when I was waiting half an hour for the person who finally gave me the tour. The staff leading the activity, and the young man who greeted me at the entrance, were very friendly with the residents, but I thought a bit condescending. I didn't care for the tour lady (who I think was the executive director). She made some comments that made me feel she was more bothered by the residents than anything (ex., "Everybody wants special privileges").
My mother in law lived in Kirkwood for about three months ten years ago, leaving when she had a stroke. It felt a lot warmer and caring at that time than on this visit (and I know the ownership has changed).

This was originally our first choice until we toured Sunrise. Both were excellent communities and offered different things for active people. The layout of their shared room was not as private and again we were afraid he would disturb a roommate. The building and decor was very well planned and inviting. Cost in same range as Sunrise.

Love love love this place. Super close to our home, quaint, clean, overall great place. We don't have a love one there yet but the visit went great and we hope to work with them in the future.

Perfect, but Too Far Away

I toured Kirkwood while looking at options for my mother. I felt that it was a perfect community. I loved the ambiance of the place and the fact that it has an ice cream parlor right when you walk in. My mother loves ice cream, so it would have been wonderful for her. It was just too far away, so I ultimately chose another community for her.

Not the same Kirkwoood

Be advised that Kirkwoood Orange has recently changed ownership. After 6 years of my dad living at Kirkwoood, we are now considering moving to a different facility. The staff has been drastically reduced and the care is no longer adequate. Caregivers are wonderful, but they are no longer properly staffed to meet the needs. Sadly, the new company has chosen to invest in decorative appearances over the well being of the residents.

Good Vibes

I would without reservation recommend Kirkwood Orange to friends and family. They have recently just changed ownership so we hope everything stays the same. I have dined with my mom and she really likes the food and the variety that they offer. Her room is very comfortable, clean, and cozy. They offer a lot of activities, I don't think she has a favorite, it's mainly the best way to interact with the other residents, she is definitely making new friends. The landscaping is just beautiful, there is a patio with seating for the residents to enjoy the fresh air. This community puts out very good vibes.

Understanding during a difficult time.

We are very pleased with Kirkwood Orange and they have done an outstanding job. They allowed hospice to come in for my father and we didn't have to move him. We are very happy with this community.

Jessica Morales

Thank you for the kind review, and our thoughts are with you and your family. If there’s anything else we can do, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Jessica Morales,
Administrator, Kirkwood Orange

Nicely decorated in the common areas. Looks like a Victorian home.

Jessica Morales

We greatly enjoyed reading your review, especially the comparison to a Victorian home! As we’re sure you know, we strive to provide the very highest in quality, from our common areas to our dining room and beyond. If we can answer any questions or help out in any way, don’t think twice about contacting us. All the best to you!

Outstanding care

I am happy with the care that my mom is receiving here. The staff is very helpful and caring. They offer field trips around the community. The love going. The food is outstanding and a great variety. They make it available for them to have snacks and beverages all the time. My mom like the ice cream. This community makes you feel like being at home. I would recommend this community for over great care.

Great Community

This community is very nice and for the most part clean and maintained. I feel there could be some improvement. The staff are doing a great job keeping my dad active and social and see that the staff are caring and attentive. My dad has enjoyed the happy hour and music that is available for the residents. Dad also has gone on outings that he seems to like. The food looks good and my dad always has two choices to choose from. I would recommend this community because Dad is doing great!

Very happy overall

Dad has been at Kirkwood Orange for only a short time but the experience has been remarkable! Dad is very comfortable here and adjusting very nicely considering. He is able to participate in the many activities or stay in his room and visit with a friend that comes daily to see him. The food at Kirkwood is fabulous! I had the ricotta cheese ravioli that they serve and it was delicious! They also have an exercise program for the residents to participate in daily. It is a very nice experience overall and if I had to be placed this would be the place for me!

Review for Kirkwood Orange in Orange, CA

Amazing. 10+. They are so kind and loving to my mom. The facility is warm and cozy like your own home. The care givers really take care of them and form relationships with them.

Very good, but communication could be better

We are very happy there. It's very clean, and the staff is very friendly. They were significantly less than another place we looked at. Communication among themselves, and with us. They need to be a little more organized, and more disciplined with their logging and passing the information to the next shift. They are very good with having activities. The food is about the same as most of the places around, it's cooked with no salt, but you can add it if you want, but it's very good. The chef is the nicest guy and he cares about the residents. In the literature, it says they have an RN but there is one gal on the weekend staff, and she is an RN, but the medical director is an LVN, it's not a big deal but they have her more as a management, I would think they would utilize her more. They could use her to train the girls a little better. I felt like this was a little misleading. There isn't a RN, on staff all the time.

Centrally located in California’s famed Orange County just a short drive from the excitement of Los Angeles and the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, Kirkwood Orange is a well-equipped retirement community offering a full range of supportive senior services. Our rare blend of modern amenities with old-fashioned comfort makes our intimate community feel almost like a bed-and-breakfast.

Kirkwood Orange is a proud member of be.group, a nonprofit organization that has been dedicated to providing quality living options and support services to California seniors since 1955.

Featured Amenities

Our cheerful accommodations come in a variety of studio and one-bedroom layouts. All apartments feature private bathrooms and kitchenettes. Residents are encouraged to decorate with their own furniture and belongings, making their new homes as unique as they are.

Residents can often be found strolling our landscaped grounds, grabbing a frozen treat in our ice cream parlor or participating in one of our many fun daily activities. We serve three freshly prepared meals in our dining room daily and snacks are always available in our country-style kitchen.