John Knox Village - Lee's Summit, MO

Complete Senior Living

I've been at John Knox Village about 7 months now in their independent living section, and I am liking it very much. There are so many activities offered that you can keep as busy as you want or live privately if you want. No one forces you to do anything. There are all sorts of classes, meetings, games, and sports if you choose to participate. The staff is wonderful, friendly, caring, and helpful. The rent includes a stipend for about 1 meal a day. So far I've managed to keep within their amount. The campus is about 400 acres and they provide transportation to anywhere you want to go on campus at any time on demand. The campus includes 7 restaurants, swimming pools, golf course, 2 banks, access to medical service and many activities. There are also scheduled transportation trips to grocery stores, Wal-Mart, the shopping mall, and several Church Services. You are welcome to keep your car as there is ample parking, but I found it easier to get rid of mine and just rely on the JKV transportation system and OATS. There is also assisted living, memory care, and nursing home facilities located on campus if your situation changes. They also have their own ambulance service if you need to go to a hospital. All in all, John Knox Village is a complete package for senior living. The residents are friendly and helpful, too. It's like having a big extended family. There is a great atmosphere here.

I loved everything I saw here. The housing choices were fabulous, the amenities extensive, the landscaping beautiful. It's a life planning community so you can go from independent to AI to nursing or memory facilities. This is the top of my list so far.

Mom Loves it here

The staff here are very friendly. They will engage her to join the daily activities. They schedule her for the pool excercises. She is on the independent side and there are 5 restaurants in there to chose from. They give her food allowance out of her rent so she won't have to pay at the time and they will deliver to her apartment too. They clean her room every 2 weeks and her linens every week. I would recommend this community.

Huge, but Still a Great Community

I toured John Knox Village on behalf of my wife. She had been in rehab here, and we had a very satisfactory experience. The facility is huge, but very well maintained. We were hoping to move her into the community full time, but there weren’t any vacancies at the time. We were put on the waiting list, but ultimately chose another community for her care.

Mom's move

This is the perfect place for my mom! Everyone is friendly and helpful the approval process was not very long! Mom wishes she would have done this years ago

Not What We Needed

They person who gave me the tour did a good job showing me the community. It was okay from what I saw. They did not have an opening in the regular units and they wanted to put my mom in the Memory Care. The residents were all in one room watching TV and no one was talking among themselves. This was not going to work out for us.

Not What We Thought We Were Buying

My mom bought in here. Cost $225K for a 2 BR 1.5 BA townhome. Current rent is $1800/mo with approximately mandatory monthly restaurant charge $200/mo. Rent increases about 3% annually, NOT told about this when she signed, NOT told they RENT to people who do not buy in. This place is NOT what it was sold to be.WAY overpriced! Finally, they currently are sending out requests for their elderly population to "protest our government" at a planning rally on Feb. 11/17. Sent out an email to all residents on JKV letterhead to attend, while NOT telling them what it was or who was behind it. Be aware of what's going on here if you're choosing a retirement site for your loved ones or for yourself. Wishing we could re-do the decision for my mom!

Not very impressed!!

My mother actually went with me to take a look at this community and she was right away not very impressed. She did not like all of the payment fees and how they had the packages set up. It was also too far from the rest of the family then she had liked so we just decided this was not the right for her and would look else where.

My mom loves it

It's really a good place for my mom to be. She is happy to have people her age surrounding her. Very clean. No smell. Feels like retirement not old age.

Nice Place. Clean very well laid out.

Don't Buy In

DON'T BUY IN... Save your money and keep your future options open.

Independent Living at John Knox Village is very satisfying for most residents. On the surface, the atmosphere and grounds are very inviting and conveniently located near shopping areas.

As time moves on, however, and assisted living and/or nursing care become necessary, the risk is high that the policies and conditions will disappoint. For example, transportation and activities at the Assisted Living facility, once plentiful, have diminished over the years. The Skilled Nursing Unit at the Care Center is delinquent with missing medication dosages, very long wait times for call buttons, and high staff turnover, resulting in confusion of dosages and patients. Hearing aids? Staff is commonly not aware of how to insert them or the need to change batteries. Weekends are especially devoid of clinical help. Administration operates on the bottom dollar. They squander resources needed for reforms and additional help so they can build and market to attract new residents.

Instead of buying in and paying for future care in the Care Center, parents should carefully invest that money so that they can move to another facility should they become unhappy. Buying in is like buying futures in the market; it is gambling that the future care will meet the needs. The sales pitch is seductive, promising great things that simply do not meet reality.

There are PROS: amazing volunteers, without whom JKV would be truly substandard, and the residents, who are very sweet and friendly.

A Fine Experience

My mother was at this community for a while, but she had a few falls and we had to move her to a assisted living community. It was an nice experience here, we were very pleased with everything they did for us. The community looked great, they kept everything very nice and clean. My mother apartment was very nice. The staff was very good. She was pleased with the food. They do offer nice activities. We were pleased overall and I would recommend it.

A good place to take your loved one, just don't like the nurses on Sundridge Alzheimer's unit. The aides are great and truly care about your loved one and will go above and beyond for you.

Overall Great

Overall I had a great experience with John Knox Village.

upbeat atmosphere

John Knox Village is a very nice place. It's clean and new. The residents that are there are not sitting around moaning. The facility has a really upbeat atmosphere. I am very pleased with this place. I have no complaints.

I think they're prices are extremely exorbitant. We are actually looking for another place for my father, maybe one that is half the price. Seniors are already pressed for money and their prices are just a little much.

It's a Good Community

John Knox Village is overall a good community. My aunt is a resident there and seems very happy. The food is good and they do have a good variety available. The dining staff seems well organized. The memory care unit is well secured and there are safety guidelines implemented. She does have a call button in her room. My one concern is the activities available. There do not seem to be many activities for the residents. Also, I haven't seen a bus or van to take people on outings.

Their cheapest option is $1100 per month & require residents to have a minimum of twice the rent or they will not lease to them.

They have been very helpful.

They have been very helpful. It's clean, and the staff is friendly. The food is good. They have plenty of activities. We chose this one because it's the one mom liked best. We have been very happy with them.

The staff has been very helpful and a...

The staff has been very helpful and always attentive to our loved ones needs. They have gone out of their way to make her feel comfortable with her new home. They have succeeded in making it feel like a home and everyone is family. No complaints on the food from our mom which makes us feel happy. Love that it is a brand new place too!

My Mom loves it

It has been a month and my mom is truly enjoying herself. I'm so glad we decided to make this move to John Knox.

Working things through

They rushed my loved one into signing for days they didn’t even live there so there was an extra bill. There were some issues with full disclosure, but we still live there and things are working out. They are a clean community.

Good stuff!

Very nice staff and a friendly and clean facility. Helpful with everything and we would recommend. One of the things that we like best is once he is in their system if his health deteriorates, we don't have to go and find another facility. They will just move him to another level of care.

Looked nice during the tour

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for my loved one. This community looked nice enough during the tour, and the staff we met were friendly, however it had a more businesslike feel than the community we ended up selecting. It didn't have the homey feel we were looking for. The price was also a bit higher than similar options we looked at.

Relocating to be near family

My husband and I decided to relocate to where our son and his family were living as we are approaching our senior years. My Mom had moved 8 years prior to live in our community and she was not too pleased when I told her of this decision. We gave her the option to move in with us in our home, but she decided that she wanted to live where there were people her age. Thus, I contacted "A Place for Mom." My advisor was very kind and her recommendations were spot on. Mom decided to move into John Knox Village into a studio apartment. It was a little hard to downsize, but she loves her walk-in shower, has enjoyed not having to run the vacuum, is able to move the thermostat up when chilly without worrying about the bill, and has enjoyed the opportunity of eating at the restaurant in her building. Thus far, she has met most people while doing the laundry. The place offers transportation and she attended a nearby church last Sunday and plans to go again. My husband and I live only 4 miles away and I have the peace of mind knowing that she has the medical handy if needed. The move has been an adjustment for all, but we are very pleased with the decision that she made.

Home for Two Generations

I moved my 85 year old stepmother into John Knox in 1995. She lived a very happy life there until her passing in 2011. I was very pleased with her care in all aspects as she moved from independent living, to assisted living and finally the Alzheimer's Unit.

I became an independent resident myself in 2006 and I can't imagine that I could find another facility that offers all of the options that JKV can provide. I look forward to spending the rest of my life here and enjoying my life to the fullest.

Perfect Place For Mom

I toured this facility, and was met with nothing but smiles and people more than willing to answer questions and help. My Mom did move into this facility and loves it. They offer transporation as well as other senior activities. She has been there just a week, but we couldn't be happier with the staff, and the facility. This place has thought of everything including close access to doctors and dentist, as well as an amazing nursing staff and management. My Mom also loves the food! The price is very reasonable compared to other facilities of this type.

Lots of Micommunication

it was just okay. I thought the place was a little dreary. A lot of times there was miscommunication between doctors and nurses, nurses and me, me and doctors - it was like the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. The nurses themselves were excellent. I didn't have any issue with that.

Not A Good Touring Experience

We discounted that one right away and I'll tell you why. We had an appointment and when we got there, there was no one at the front desk . We waited for what seemed like a long time and nobody came. Off to our side, maybe 20 feet away, was an unattended prescription cart. It was sitting there this whole time and anyone could have come in and taken those prescriptions. That and the fact that no one was there to greet us and we had to walk back and find someone didn't make a good impression. That was not a good experience.

Too dark

It was at the bottom of our list after we saw Benton house. There were small rooms, it was depressing, dark, it was clean enough, it was just we had had my mother in a nursing home so we knew what to look for. I just keep thinking about how dark it looked, dark wood, dark floors, and the room was about half the size of what he has at Benton. When we saw it we knew we weren't interested.

Huge help

We were prepared to NOT like this place, but were bowled over by the wonderful atmosphere. From the admissions director to the staff to the residents themselves (who were so encouraging and affirming and won our father over in no time). He's been there a month now and he is very [removed] still loves the staff, and the food and, because he is happy and safe, so are his children!

Doesn't take Medicaid. Most expensive...

Doesn't take Medicaid. Most expensive. Nice. Pay extra for personal laundry.

Since being established a little more than four decades ago, John Knox Village has been the leading continuing care retirement community in the Midwest.
Situated on a 420-acre campus in Lee’s Summit, Mo., the Village is now home to more than 1,800 residents who enjoy a wide array of residential and active lifestyle choices. What’s more, the not-for-profit organization also provides long-term health care options to its residents, as well as seniors in 13 counties across Missouri and Kansas.

For many individuals, home is where the heart is, which is why John Knox Village provides health care options wherever a person may live. Associates from LifeStyle Services private duty care, Home For Life Solutions, Village Home Health and Village Hospice attend to clients and patients in their own homes.
On the Village campus, residents of John Knox Village and the surrounding community benefit from the homey atmosphere and assistance offered at Valley View Residential Care and Valley View Memory Care Assisted Living as well as across campus at the Village’s skilled nursing facility. What’s more, the skilled-nursing facility is providing an area for Village Hospice of John Knox Village to establish Village House – a new service that provides in-patient hospice care.