Genesis Manor VI - Alta Loma, CA

They Felt Like Family

We as a family could not praise Gerry Markie and her team enough! Our father age 83 suffered from congenital heart disease. He entered Genesis VI after our mother passed away. He was apprehensive in leaving his home but understood that he was unable to care for himself. Upon arrival he was immediately welcomed by Gerry and her amazing staff, her care workers, Josie, Eric, Boy and Letty. The home setting was much easier for my father to adapt to as he had spent many weeks in various nursing homes recovering and they seemed understaffed and uncaring. Genesis VI was always clean, and there was a minimum of 2 workers (sometimes more) to a maximum 6 patients. They cooked very healthy meals paying attention to all of their residents needs. Helping to cut up their food or feed if needed. They helped to bathe and dress. Laundry was done nightly and my father's clothes were always laid out for him. They accompanied my father on walks and made sure he got out for fresh air and sunshine. The activities centered on the abilities of the residents and our father made good friends with them as well as the staff. The staff was always helpful in getting my father ready to go, whether it was to the doctors or just a family outing. Gerry Markie was instrumental in handling the mountain of paperwork involved with the Assisted Living Waiver Program that was a great financial help. She strictly monitored my father and his medical needs. We never felt uncomfortable with our father living there. They gave my father 24 hour superb care!

Residents alert and awake

We chose Genesis Manor VI for my mom because we really liked the community and appearance. The residents are more alert and awake then at other communities. My mother was in a different community and the residents there just seemed like zombies, I was there 5 or 6 times to visit and no residents said anything they would just sit in front of the TV and stare. Ever since moving my mother here that dope stage is going away and she is more awake and alert. The residents here say hi and are actually talking. The food here is wonderful. We are very happy with Genesis and would recommend it to anyone.

Gerry Markie

Thank you for the review. We strive to keep our residents engaged, happy, and well taken care of. Your recommendation to others viewing this means a lot to us.

Hello, my name is Gerry Markie and I own, manage, and run Genesis Senior Health Care. We have six licensed residential care facilities located in the beautiful cities of Claremont, La Verne, and Alta Loma (all located above the 210 freeway). I am a Registered Nurse with over 40 years of experience working with the elderly in various hospitals and home health settings. I have been doing assisted living since 1999 when I opened my first facility and have since helped over 175 seniors and their families. We are well respected in the community and have been highlighted in the Daily Bulletin numerous times for the excellent care we provide. I was also recently honored by the California Senate & Assembly for my work in the community. I also work with my son David who has his business degree and my daughter’s Marya & Alaina who are also Registered Nurses.

We specialize in caring for those individuals that require a higher level of care whether it is due to a physical and/or mental impairment. We work extensively with people who have Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, COPD, Parkinson's Disease, Huntington's Disease, strokes, and those who have hearing/visual impairments.

Each home is staffed 24 / 7 with seasoned, well-trained caregivers who assist our clients with all aspects of daily living, medication management, and incontinence care. Our staff are all background cleared by the FBI and DOJ and many of our staff have worked with us for years. They are caring, compassionate, and experienced. We provide our care in a secure homelike setting which is usually half the cost, and more personable, than most traditional nursing homes, large assisted living facilities, and in-home care services. We take care of no more than 6 residents in each home which gives us a resident to staff ratio of 3 to 1.

Doctors, nurses, podiatrists, physical therapists, and hairdressers regularly visit each home. Long-term care insurance is accepted and we will help you in obtaining veterans benefits, which should pay the veteran around $1400/month and the surviving spouse around $1100/month. We are also one of a few facilities on a special Medi-Cal program that lets us accept certain Medi-Cal residents. This program is beneficial if your loved one ever runs out of funds and cannot private pay anymore.

So why choose us to care for your loved one? We feel that our experience and length of time in business coupled with our background as Registered Nurses sets us apart from other providers. We have a passion and the ability to care for the elderly, especially those that require a higher level of care. Our homes are in good areas, well kept, and we serve excellent food. So please feel free to contact us and thank you for taking the time to view our profile.

Gerry Markie RN BSN MS