Genesis Manor V - Claremont, CA

I toured this community

I toured this community I was not impressed. They answered all of my questions. It smelled really bad in there. It looked rundown and needs to be refreshed. I saw someone carrying in microwavable meals for the residents, maybe it was a special request from one of them. The back porch looked hazardous.

Gerry Markie

Hello and thank you for the review. Within the past couple months the interior of the house has been painted and completely redecorated. The back patio was rebuilt as well. In terms of the microwavable meals I would need more details to address the concern as I am not sure what is wrong with microwavable meals. We do have families that bring in special requests from their loved ones. We have always been complimented on the food we serve. Either way I hope you found what you were looking for in terms of care.

Warm & Inviting

Everything is going very well for my dad at Genesis Manor V. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the staff is very friendly. The communication with staff is excellent. Whenever he needs his prescriptions filled they call right away and take care of it. He definitely likes the food there, he is gaining weight and looks good. They do try and get him outside for fresh air but it has been so hot lately they don't spend much time outdoors at this time of year. They take good care of him and his care needs. This residence has only about 6 residents so he gets a lot of one on one care. He is always clean and looks nice when I come to visit. I would definitely recommend this community to friends and family.

Knowledgeable and caring

Clean and safe surroundings. Caretakers seem patient and genuinely concerned about their charges. Supervised by very competent medical staff with outside services readily available. Spiritual needs also met. Very happy that mom is here.

Gerry Markie

Thank you for the kind review.

I was not happy with a few things

Inside it was very good but outside, I thought it needed a little care. They're very friendly but my mother is no longer there. I had stressed to them the importance that they watch her at night, getting out of bed or anything. I gave them baby monitors so they would be able to hear her and I saw the baby monitor in her room so I assumed it was hooked up. At the end of the first month that she was there she tried to get up in the middle of the night she fell and severly broke her leg. She had a compound fracture. Later I found that the baby monitor on the other end was not hooked up. It was in a drawer. 911 should have been called. I was very unhappy about that.

The staff was wonderful. I have no problems with them. Accidents happen and I think they've learned a lesson. It was a mad mistake.

Knowledge is power...

The staff at the Genesis Manor V always has my mom bathed with clean clothes and her hair brushed when I visit. I visit her several times a week and take her out for meals, they feed her and treat her well. If she requests a cookie they give her a cookie, though she always seems to be hungry when I pick her up? She has not had any food complaints. The staff is teaching her things like how to set a table and working with her. They change her bedding everyday. The value is the only thing I had marked lower, I feel like the cost is a little high, not where I'd like it to be, but I am happy with the care they provide. There was just one incident with one staff member handling of a comment my mom made that caused slight concern, but after talking with the staff member there hasn't been any issue. My mom has good people to interact with at Genesis. My dad is at Heritage Park, which when I asked him to rate the Heritage Park on a scale of 1 to 5 he gave them a 3. He has more care needs then my mom, but she seems happier with Genesis Manor than he is with Heritage Park. In the Health Care industry I have had to teach myself how to be an advocate for my parents. It has been a learning experience and there is a lot I am still learning. I keep a log of my parents daily activities and medications and pain or symptons so I have information when it comes to making medical decisions for them. This has helped in so many regards, especially when getting them tested for something they have already been treated for. I have been able to assist the doctors in diagnoses for them because of my log.

Gerry Markie

Thank you Eddie for the review. We greatly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to take care of your mother. She always has a smile on her face and we enjoy having her there. We actively try to keep your mother engaged and happy. Thank you again for the review.

Hello, my name is Gerry Markie and I am a registered nurse with over 40 years of experience. I own, manage, and run six licensed residential care homes in excellent areas above the 210 freeway located in La Verne, Claremont, and Alta Loma. We are well respected in the community and we were recently featured in the Daily Bulletin in the August 10, 2009 edition. I was also recognized in May 2012 by the CA State Assembly and Senate for my work in the community. We have been in business since 1996 and have helped over 150 people and their families. I have been doing this for 15 years and 15 years before that I did home health nursing. Genesis Health Care is a family owned and operated business. I also work with my son David who has his business degree and my daughter Marya who recently graduated from nursing school.

Each facility is staffed 24/7 with seasoned, well trained caregivers who assist our clients with all aspects of daily living, medication management, and incontinence care. Many of the facilities have two caregivers at all times. This is provided in a secure homelike setting which is usually half the cost, and more personable, than most traditional nursing homes, large assisted living facilities, and in-home care services.

Each home is regularly visited by doctors, nurses, podiatrists, physical therapists, and hair dressers. Long term care insurance is accepted and we will help you in obtaining veterans benefits. We are also in a special program that allows us to take certain people on Medi-Cal.