Five Star Premier Residences at Yonkers - Yonkers, NY

A charming neighborhood setting combined with a location convenient to the fabulous attractions of Manhattan and Westchester County. Located in Westchester County, Classic Residence is close to the historic attractions and cultural allure of Manhattan.

#800-S-124 • Memory Support #800-F-979

I loved this place and thought it would be an excellent fit for my mother. Although she is still very much not interested, the next step would be to schedule a lunch with one of the residents.

I was not bowled over. It's a nice place, good facilities, what seem to be good and comprehensive services like housekeeping and laundry, but some of the add-on services like "level 3: service is an extra $750 per month, over the $8000 *expensive) for the memory care studio. The say they use a Montessori=based system, and I don't know what that means or implies. We would also be responsible for buying all the supplies, pads, diapers, etc that Linda would need *(I thought the facility provided these, but apparently not.)

Although I was initially impressed with the facility, our experience at lunch was disturbing in that one resident had her hand raised for over 15 minutes and not one employee approached her to ask what she needed.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and want to thank you for visiting us and taking time to share your thoughts. At Five Star Premier Residences of Yonkers we work hard to provide exceptional dining services to all of our residents and guests. Our goal is to accommodate individual food preferences, create appealing and nutritious meals, and provide a pleasant dining experience. I was sorry to read this was not your experience. I will bring your review to the attention of our Food & Beverage Director and invite you to join me for lunch to give us another opportunity to showcase our dining services. Please contact me at the community to arrange a time.

Dad is happy here

My dad is in the independent living apartments here. It is an affordable option for us and that's nice. It is a lovely place. The lounge area is stellar, and the grounds are beautiful. There is always coffee and juice out. The staff is nice and patient. They provide 3 good meals a day. He is enjoying all the daily activities he has to choose from. They will give him a ride to the doctors office. I would highly recommend this community.

My experience at Five Star Premier Residence

People at the residence are very friendly and concerned.
My husband receives the help he needs and likes his caregivers . Place is well cared for and maintained The nursing staff is excellent and on top of his medications. The activities could be upgraded to meet more intellectual
Challenge. However he enjoys His room . The dining room is very pleasant. Food is good and there is a large selection.. Overall I am pleased and relaxed my
Husband is well care for.

Of the two facilities I liked Five Star Premier the best. Now I need to research such issues as ownership and references. Thank you

Wonderful Choice

We are still settling into our new apt but things are all falling into place. We like our 2 bedrooms 2 baths and the staff has been great helping us with the little things like our TV. We enjoy going to the dining room which is beautiful there are table clothes on the tables and the staff is great as are the menu choices and there is also a cafe if you wanted something different. They have a really nice laundry room and lots of different activities, we've even been to one of their outdoor concerts in the beautiful garden area and brought a friend as well.

I found Five Star to be exactly that and more. The staff couldn't be more friendly and caring if they were angels from heaven. The residents all seemed very happy to be there. Lovely surroundings, beautiful environment, every amenity you cold ask for.

A very pleasant visit; well maintained building; the grounds were lovely. The staff seemed energized. The space of the facility was surprisingly huge. The large communal areas reminded me of a hotel.
I looked at 2 apartments which seem well laid out; surprised there was no wi-fi in the apartments though there was wi-fi in common areas.
The fitness area was small; no pool.
There was variety in the lectures, group activities (visits to NYC museums and places of interest in NYC) which appealed to me. The staff is eager to listen to residents and develop programs the residents are interested in.

A good place

I have only lived here a short time and things are going fine. They offer daily activities and trips out. They keep the community clean. The staff have been helpful and friendly. I would recommend this community.

The Compatibility Wasn't There

I got a good tour of this community. It was not in a convenient location for me. The resident who were around were less ambulatory and not that engaged. I wanted to see residents who were at the same level as my mom in orders to interact.

Lovely people! Everyone working there was so pleasant and seemed so happy. Was just the perfect environment for my mom.

My tour of Five Star

This looked like a nice community when we toured it. Mom did not like that the assisted living residents were in their own area and did not associate with the independent living residents. The people I met were nice and the community seemed clean.

Recently Moved In

My Mom, a recent Widow, just moved into 5 Star 2 weeks ago. The Move-in Coordinator was fantastic and helped her move in which included assigning staff to assist in hanging pictures, disposing of boxes and securing storage space for her Christmas decorations. Quickly she was oriented to the physical plant, given a tour of the library, beauty salon, gift store and also given her mailbox key and she learned about all the services available to her. The cleaning staff came on that first Monday and did a great job on cleaning the apartment including vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen and laundering her towels and sheets. They change her sheets weekly. She was assigned to a group of residents at dinner so she didn't feel so alone and her granddaughter stayed with her the first few nights. Although she's 90 years old within days she seems at home after living in Florida for over 40 years. Now she goes to Thai Chi class every day and has already experienced pet day where they bring in a few dogs to interact with the residents. Moving to New York from Florida she was required to change her HMO. There is a physician who actually has an office in the building who accepts HMO's so we quickly changed her insurance so that she wouldn't have a coverage issue. There are also a few local pharmacies that deliver. As the weeks go on she will experience with other residents, grocery shopping and going out to local stores with the available 5 Star transportation. Although all her meals are served in the dining room, and are really delicious and nutritious, she has order pizza and Chinese food from local restaurants (which were great) on those days when her granddaughter stays over! She is now waiting for her 91st. Birthday in April when the residence have one big party on the last day of the month and celebrate everyone who has a Birthday in April, and together with the staff they have surf & turf.

Can't wait for Mom to move in!

My 91 year old mom is moving into 5 Star tomorrow and we have been working with the staff at 5 Star on this process for the past month. The Move-in Coordinator has gone above and beyond to assist us with this complicated move from Florida to NY City. The entire staff including the front door receptionist and the waitresses in the restaurant are very patient, competent and polite. As an example one of the hearing impaired residents was ordering her meal and the waitress was very patient in completing her order. The food is excellent, the portions are large and fresh and reasonably priced using the point system. The deserts are home made and delicious. All the public bathrooms were clean and there were many cleaning staff in the building each time I visited. The residents were sitting around the public areas talking and enjoying their time together. Many were watching the movie of the day in the screening room. My mom's 1 bedroom apartment is very large by NY standards and her view is breathtaking. I can't wait until my mom moves in to experience this great atmosphere.

A good place

Mom is still adjusting to living at Five Star. The staff are wonderful, patient, attentive and seem to interact well with here. She does not like the food. They do offer daily activities and they keep the community clean. I would recommend this community.

Wonderful People at this Community

My mother seems to be doing well here at this community. She is still adjusting a bit, but I know she is in a good place. They have a very caring and accommodating staff; they have been very helpful. There were one or two surprises, but all is well. This is a great community, and I would definitely recommend this community.

Everything is good!

The staff has been great here. Everything is excellent and I like it here. The food is excellent and no complaints. They keep this place spic and span all the time. I like that they have a lot of things to do for the residents.

Lovely residence, lots of community space, rates are reasonable, offer different levels of care, lots of transportation, and outings Location may not work for our family member but otherwise would be perfect

Great Tour!!

The tour I went on included an invitation to a dinning room experience meal. The dinning room looked great and had an open floor plan but the food was not my favorite. The staff was pleasant and very welcoming during my visit. I would recommend this community to anyone in need of additional care.

A Hard Transition, But A Good Community

It has been a hard transition for my parents with their move to this community, but I'am pleased with this community. I know they are being cared well, and they are safe. Everything is going well so far.

Nice Tour!!

The tour guide was knowledgeable and explained everything. I really liked the community it was nice and clean. As soon as you walked through the gates into the community it was a beautiful site. One thing that i didn't like was the extra fees for everything that they offered. Overall it was a great community with nice staff.

Happy after one month

I am basing this review on only one month of my mother being a resident at Five Star of Yonkers. Any family going through this process will understand what an agonizing decision it was to move my very resistant 90-year old mother out of her house of 50 years. While it continues to be a challenging transition for her, I feel that we made the best choice for her by moving her to Five Star. It is a lovely, well-maintained facility. My mother is in an independent apartment so I cannot really speak about the assisted living services or accommodations. She has a modern, comfortable one bedroom apartment with "million dollar views" of the Hudson River! Weekly light housekeeping is provided. While she has a full kitchen in her apt., a buffet breakfast and a three-course dinner are included everyday. Unlike the institutional-like dining room and food in many other assisted living facilities, the dining room at Five Star is attractive, the menu has a nice variety and the food is of good quality. There is a diverse offering of activities each day, in addition to trips to museums, stores, local performances, Yonkers casino, etc.
We particularly enjoy the Thursday afternoon "Happy Hour" with an open bar, tasty appetizers and live music.
The staff for the most part have been cheerful and helpful. I would like to give a shout out to the patient and attentive Monica and her dining room staff and the delightful Move-in Coordinator Agustina who did all she could to help ease the transition. In terms of value for the money, there was no comparison between Five Star and the other places we considered in Westchester and Rockland Counties. We were able to get a "promotional" rent rate as they are renovating and updating the facility. I don't know if this is still available but even the regular rents are reasonable compared to the astronomical rents at most Westchester senior living facilities (shame on those places that expect the elderly to pay rents of $7000 a month and up!) I know everyone's situation is unique - none are easy - but I hope this review will be helpful to some.

Transition to assisted-living at 5 Star

All of the staff have been very friendly, courteous, and helpful. They went out of their way to make the move in and transition as smooth as possible. Our relative is very pleased with the quality, quantity, and variety of the meals.

A little farther from home!!

I toured this community. The person who took us on the tour was very friendly and knowledgeable. This seemed like a clean community. It had some nice amenities to offer. I was not able to try the food at this community.

Very nice place if you just need assisted living. Our problem was that we needed extended care that they said they could deliver but they didn't. Just be aware that you will be doing most of the work

Five Star Reviews

We are sorry to hear about your experience and would be glad to discuss it with you directly. We assure you that we make every effort to meet the needs of our residents and provide the highest quality care. Please get in touch with us as we would very much like to meet with you to hear the details about your experience.

Helpful, friendly, amazing are just some of the words to describe the property. We love it , our friends love it . I would suggest other people should come here as well.

Do Not Leave Your Loved Ones Here

The Yonkers property has been declining. Residents' happiness is no longer a priority. Here's why: staff turnover is high. Management turnover is higher. Dining staff is fewer and service is slower. Happy hours are fewer. Entertainment is lower budget and getting lower. No longer is someone on staff around on holidays to greet people and make sure the residents are happy at home. To have a guest for dinner now there is a 10 day notice requirement for 3 people. The dining supervisor made my mom cry when she turned away the grandchildren for dinner. Never happened before but now it is acceptable and management is fine with it. Corporate won't respond to suggestions. Please find another kinder, more caring community - we wish we did. (Rent increases every year about 3%)

Five Star Reviews

I'm sorry about your negative experience. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I do understand that the Executive Director has met with you and is working on resolving the issues. Five Star Premier Residences of Yonkers strives to provide the best customer service and hospitality for our residents and family members.

Nice place, overall

Our experience with Five Star has been a good one, so far! The facility itself is always well kept and clean, the common areas look nice and they do a weekly cleaning of my loved one's apartment. The staff here is friendly and professional. They respond to situations very quickly, and they've always gotten right on top of any issues we've brought up with them.

Great so far....

My mother just moved in one week ago and so far everyone has been amazing and helpful and friendly .

one of the strong points of the assisted living is their care

At Five Star Premier at Yonkers one of the strong points of the assisted living is their care. They have a lot of staff there. It is really good for someone that needs assistance. My mother-in-law has vision impairment and gets really wonderful care. It is a generally good place. The location is very convenient. The amenities downstairs aren't as good as some of the other facilities. The activities also aren't as good as some of the other facilities we have seen either. They do have a winter garden that the residents can use. She likes the food there. They have a social worker that is good and very engaged. That has been crucial to her adjusting. The management has really helped in working with her needs also. Overall things have really worked out here.

Friendly, helpful staff!

I think things have gone very well at Five Star! My loved one is really enjoying the more active, independent feel the community has, and has settled in very well! The staff here are very friendly and helpful, and when we contacted their medical support service to get help finding a doctor they had someone at the door within an hour! We're very pleased with Five Star, and would highly recommend them!

I was very impressed with it.

I did go to Comforts of Home in Hudson for a tour and I was very impressed with it. I liked the layout, the apartments are very nice. My Aunt does live there already, and the Lobby is nice. I didn't get a chance to eat in their dining room, but would really like to. Staff is great and the location was in a wooded area and it just seemed inviting.

Very much like this place. Many levels of care and clean hotel like place. Friendly people, good activities and some reasonable outdoor space.
Intake interview by nurse indicates that mom could be in AL, but the moment she goes shopping and gets lost, she goes to memory care and anyone carrying a dx of AD cannot live in AL. Folks there only have "senile dementia". Seems like a level of precision I don't think exists!

1st impression: lobby felt like a hotel! (built by Hyatt, we later found out). Apt. layouts - & views! - were appealing, also guest policies. Mid-day, the place was almost a ghost-town... (everyone was out and about, we were told - with their schedule of multiple bus outings daily). A plus: partnership with the college next door.

Superlative Memory Care Program

My loved one suffers advanced Alzheimer's disease and has lived in the memory care unit on the second floor since 2009. He is very comfortable and content at the Five Star. The program for entertainment and memory support is excellent and highly interactive. I visit regularly and appreciate the compassionate caring staff members. The residents on this floor are treated with respect and dignity.
Nurses call me to let me know of needs as they arise.

The cost is very reasonable for this level of care. I have compared the prices in multiple other memory care facilities.

i observed that my loved one was content from day 1 when the family placed him here. He seemed more comfortable to be in the company of individuals suffering the same memory challenges he suffers rather than struggling with my help in public and in his old home. I immediately realized he is safer in a memory care unit than he ever was at home. He previously wandered away twice and it caused great worry. We also had challenges with potential kitchen fires.

Another wonderful thing about the Five Star is they allow me to bring my dog to the memory support unit and encourage interaction with all interested residents.

I always feel a sense of upbeat happiness, music, and nice decor while visiting. Residents have freedom on the protected floor to walk around in many different areas including a safe outdoor terrace.

It is a wonderful place and I am truly thankful to the superb staff I have come to know over the years.

Very much like this place. ...

A 5 Star Experience

My mother and I were so impressed by 5 Star that it made her decision easy! She had not yet committed to moving to independent living when we visited the facility but everything about it helped to make up her mind. She moved in last week and so far so good!

Mom is happy, so I'm happy!

Everything has been great here so far, we're very pleased with the community! It's a nice clean place, and the staff have all been very friendly. My Mom really seems to be enjoying herself here, and if she is happy I am happy! She's had nothing but good things to say about the food, as well.

Very nice looking community

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for our loved one. I was very impressed by what I saw here, it is a great looking community and the staff all seemed very friendly. We ended up choosing another community, but this would have been our second choice.

Great looking community

I was very impressed by this place, and I toured quite a few communities during my search! It was an attractive facility, very clean and well kept. The staff were also all very friendly and helpful. However I don't know if the atmosphere and location would have been something my loved one would be comfortable with. She is from the midwest and this may have been a little too upscale and urban for her tastes.
I liked that at this community the base price included the first level of care, with the ability to add more services on later if necessary.

The food is excellent.

The food is excellent. It's been good, it's been a completely different experience than we had before at a different community.

It was gorgeous but not very easily accessible

This did not seem to be for assisted living. It was gorgeous but not very easily accessible. It seemed overwhelming or overyeilding to navigate the place.

We are very happy.

So far so good we are very happy. Very clean. The cleanliness and look of the place really stood out. The food is excellent. Mom has yet to find the right bridge partner. I can't think of anything as of yet that could be improved.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for comments. It is always very helpful to hear constructive feedback.

We appreciate your observation that the place “was gorgeous”. We put great effort into the presentation of our community.
We do have two neighborhoods in the community--one for our Independent Living Residents and another for our Assisted Living and award-winning Bridges to Rediscovery Memory Care program.

Any move to a new residence can be an overwhelming experience. To help ease the stress, we have a New Resident Orientation Program that takes the stress out of the experience. The feedback we receive from new residents is that once they have become acclimated to their new home, they are pleasantly surprised by just how convenient everything is.

Also the proximity to Manhattan is a great benefit to many residents who have family living in New York City.

Thanks again for your candid comments. We are always looking to improve, and we would love to have you get in touch with us for a tour of our community, including our Assisted Living neighborhood, if that was of particular interest to you.

Brendan McMahon
Resident Services Director
Five Star Premier Residences of Yonkers

He loves it

I haven’t been there yet but I talked to him every day and I’ve talked to him every day for 12 years. His family visits him and they like it very much, he says he is very happy there, he’s having the New York Times delivered and had me sign him up for a book delivery service; he didn’t bring all of his books from his apartment and he should have. Another friend who talks to him at least 5 times a week and has been there and says it's very nice. He had a couple bad times with his heart the first month so he was in the hospital just over night, he’s settled down now and its perfectly fine, he hooked up to HBO in addition to regular TV, he’s done a couple of the things, they have a cocktail hour once a week, he’s not the most social person in the world, I told him to start his own book club but they may already have one there. He loves the linen service he says he’s spoiled. I would highly recommend to anybody who is looking for a place.

Lots of activites, food could have more variety

Every so often the meal planning could use some improvement, the food is very good but occassionally the planning is not what I would have preferred. For instance, they would have rice twice in a dish, like rice and vegetables and then rice in the soup. For some of is that's an issue but there are choices.
The most difficult part is finding physicians and getting them, five star provides transportation to certain areas at certain times so finding one can be difficult but the guy who drives us is fantastic.
There's a lot of activities, something always going on, sometimes it's hard to choose what to do.

Nice, but residents seem to be increasingly unhappy

My mother has lived here for 5-6 years. It has changed hands 2-3 times in that time period and the care and responsiveness has seemed to go down, though not hugely. When my mother first moved in, many of the employees were social workers, including the sales people and the overseer of senior life. When my mother was thinking about moving in, the sales director talked to her about waiting until she was ready and not rushing into it--no pressure, only compassion. They would talk about team staff meetings to address things like residents falling asleep in public areas. Instead, of it being a negative, they looked into why this was happening and how to help the particular residents. Now it is much more of a business model.

Apartments and facilities are beautiful, but pricey. My mother lives in a large (1110 sq. ft.) apartment with 2 beds and 2 baths. Activities vary, with lots of card playing and movies (a plus for some seniors, boring for others), and some trips to restaurants, stores, museums, shows, etc. There are also 2 days a week for transportation for local errands, and 2 other days for local doctors' appointments. There is a pharmacy nearby that delivers, usually one trip to the building per day.

Staff are very helpful. When residents can't open a jar, they bring them down to meals and someone opens it for them. If they can't get their cable to work, someone comes to help with that, too.

There have been some issues with air conditioning not working as well as it should both in individual apartments and in common areas. At one point it seemed they were keeping the hallways warmer in the summer to save money, and some residents were actually having minor breathing difficulties with the transition of the air.

Residents complain of the food not being as good any more, but I have not noticed that when I eat there. The number of choices have food have decreased and residents are not happy about that, but there are still many choices. When my mother moved in, there were "heart healthy" choices on the menu; there no longer are. One resident, told by her doctor to reduce salt content, tried to get adjusted meals, couldn't, and moved to a different facility because of this.

In the years my mother has been there, the monthly price has increased from $6100 to almost $7200. New residents are actually getting nicer apartments for much less because of the economy, which also adds to the disgruntlement. On the other hand, we looked into switching apartments to downsize a bit. I assumed they would jack up the prices according to the number of years she has been there, but she was given the same price as a newcomer.

Really did not like the fac...

Really did not like the facility. Did not like the way they segregate their memory care residents from the rest of the communities. Residents we met on the assisted care floor didn't seem happy. Were appalled by the way they treated their birds - don't have birds if you don't know what you are doing with them. Appalling. If you can't properly house and take care of your animals -what would you do to my mother! Horrible. Staff we saw on assisted care floors were very friendly within themselves, but I didn't see that translate to the residents. The take home brownie was a nice touch but was necessary. Put the money into the care, not the decor and marketing.

location not good

location not good

Receives 4 stars. I had a great tour...

Receives 4 stars. I had a great tour there.

Assisted Living apartments on other ...

Assisted Living apartments on other side: very nice, comfortable, and spacious. Four stars for apartments.

My daughter-in-law is not a fan of th...

My daughter-in-law is not a fan of the location though the residence seems fine.

I ended up have to reschedule my tour...

I ended up have to reschedule my tour, but did tour the Hyatt on Saturday, February 12 with Leslie Schatzer. I was very pleased with residence, all of the selections would serve equally well as a place for mom.

Beautiful apartments. Going for a se...

Beautiful apartments. Going for a second visit.

Not as nice a setting as River Walk a...

Not as nice a setting as River Walk at The Hebrew Home for the Aged, and more expensive but, unlike River Walk, it had 2BR units and in general its apartments were materially larger. Riverdale location an important plus.