Diamond Ridge Retirement Community - Troy, NY

Misleading advertising, corporate indifference. Improvements needed and rarely done.

A review of earlier reviews from 2014 and 2015, indicates that not much has changed. Still high/frequent turnover in staff, especially with managers, kitchen staff,servers and housekeeping staff because pay is too low and hours are limited so they don't have to pay OT and offer any benefits (if they did, the owners and indifferent corporate HQ staff wouln't be able to give themselves higher salaries and bonuses. The servers are rushed so much it's difficult to have conversations and enjoy coffee at end of meal because the stacking of dishes makes hearing extremely difficult, even for those with "normal" hearing. There is no real activity room, so some activities are held in entrance//exit lobby, severely restricting exiting, entering and inconveniencing residents and guests. Elevator doors close too quickly jeopardizing the increasingly frail new residents, many of them who need or should have assistance. So called exercise equipment is ancient and often broke. Walkway around building has many slip/trip hazards with different elevations in concrete panels. Maintenance staff (1 person) can't keep up with workload. Signs for handicapped parking have been missing for over a year. Some residents using powered wheel chairs/scooters don't know how to use them and endanger other residents and guests. Printed menus very frequently differ from that day and times meals. Healthy grains, non-iceberg lettucea are rare. Organic, non-gmo, free-range etc.--are you kidding? When it doubt, use more salt or sugar.

[Removed]

My parents care

This is a not what we wanted for care for my mom. The community is needing assistance in the meals. They do not get the meals on time. We are not happy that they have ordered. The rooms are nice and they have no heat in the building at this time. We were informed that there is no heat. The staff has turned over since we moved into the community. They have activities for the residents. We would not be able to recommend this community due to the care that is being received here.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie, I work for Holiday, and I am so sorry to hear this. I'd like to thank you for providing this very honest feedback though, and get a chance to learn more from you about your experience. Would you please give us a call? We agree meals should be served on time, and would like a chance to speak more about this with you and the other concerns you raise. Our Resident Relations team can be reached by phone at [removed] or email anytime at [removed]. We hope to hear from you soon, and thank you once again for reaching out and providing this feedback.

We liked this place, Tom wasn't sure he liked the location. It is affordable for him, clean, people were nice.

Adjustment Process, but Overall a Pretty Nice Community

It is still an adjustment process for my mother with her move to this community. However we do feel she is safe, and in good hands at this community. They have a nice staff, and they are trying to help her adjust. She looks good, and sounds good when I go to visit her. It is a work in progress for us at this community, but overall it is a pretty nice community. I would recommend it.

Nice Tour

I had a very nice tour of this community. The tour guide was kind, and informative. All my questions were answered. The community looked nice, and clean. The experience went well overall, it was a nice tour.

Lovely facility, excellent food, expert staff, more air conditioning needed.

The staff seems expert, well organized, friendly. Meals in the dining room are very well made, and served in a professional, restaurant-style manner . The apartments are very nicely sized. Services overall are very well provided, as described in the sales materials. My only complaint is, as we have had some hot April days, it is a problem for an elderly person to be without air conditioning in the apartment for another month. This is a problem.

My brothers's new home

My brother is in a very nice community for great care. I like the staff that are doing everything to him feel welcomed. The community is very clean and maintained. The staff are so caring and he is happy making new friends. The menu is good and he seems to be pleased with the menu. They are pet friendly. This community comes highly recommend for good care and a good value for a loved one.

Excellent

From talking to the representative from a Place for Mom, who was very very helpful to making the move to Diamond Ridge was a complete pleasure. This was a hard decision and change for my 91 year old mom and a big adjustment for her to have everything done for her. she took a few days but the staff and manager of Diamond Ridge made the transition smooth and painless. Every one was helpful and friendly in making her feel welcome. cannot say enough positive statements about the whole process. a "5 Star plus" rating.

I would recommend this community.

The staff are nice, helpful and the maintenance staff are quick to respond. The community is very clean and they offer daily activities. They sometimes have music in the evening. The food is very good. The community is in a quiet rural neighborhood.

I moved in to this community and I am happy with my choice. I picked them because they were in a good location for me. It is a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. I don't eat meals from the dining room because I feed myself. They have activities planned out but I haven't tried anything yet. i have used the transportation the provide but if they gave more rides and to add more places it would be much better.

Do Not Recommend this Place!!!!

I was there for three months. The conversation i had wiith the Sales Manager turned out to be alot of sugar coating. the Asst. Gen Mgr. tied up two of my bank accounts by taking out six payments rather than one. i have proof thru my bank that the card was put thru in a wrong manner. if you want to have an activity, the residents had to volunteer, the staff was understaffed. Also, there is no straight rental rates or community fees. some people dont pay community fees, some lower, and myself, i had to pay alot, considering being on a disability income. I was very disappointed with this management. i did meet some very nice residents and i did not like the fact that i witnessed when the asst. gen mgr. yelled at a couple of people. There was an eviction on my floor, and police were there different times until they were able to get them to leave. All in all, i do not recommend this place to be a soothing place i was looking for. I am so very happy at where i am now, and am so glad that i left. this experience still upsets me.

Holiday Retirement

Hello Edi, we are so sorry to hear your experience was not one you would recommend, but want to thank you for reaching out and sharing this honest feedback with us. We're delighted the residents helped make your experience a positive one, but are sad to hear you would not recommend our retirement community because of the financial experiences you had. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share, we would really like to encourage you to reach out to us at [removed], or write us at [removed]. We are eager for any opportunity to improve our level of service, and to help make your retirement the best it can possibly be. We are really sorry to hear we missed the mark this time, but want to sincerely thank you for bringing this to our attention and giving us an opportunity to learn and grow. Thank you so much

Happy with My Move

All is well since my move to this community. I'am enjoying my time here. The staff is very friendly, and always willing help. It has been a good experience.

Warm and welcoming!

My tour of the Diamond Ridge went great, the place was very nice. The reason we chose to go with a different community was solely based on personal reasons. This community was a bit more pricey, but they provided 3 meals a day. The washer and dryer were in the hallway, and the apartment had a small half kitchen with only a refrigerator, microwave, and sink. Overall great place but just not what my mother needed at the moment.

My family and I are so pleased with Diamond Ridge it is unbelievable. The staff can not do enough for the residents and families to make the transition as easy as possible,

We cannot find a thing to complain about only praise the staff for a job well done,

Positive changes at Diamond Ridge

Diamond Ridge has gone through Management changes within the past 6 months. The previous Co Managers who left to move to VA, have moved back and are now part of the new Management team and are making a lot of positive changes. The atmosphere within the community is upbeat and friendly and residents feel cared for.

Not A Good Place

This is not a good place for your loved one's.
Many friend's of mine were resident's there and several have moved out recently because this place is horrible. After many complaint's were filed with Corporate and nothing was done. Manager's come and go there and at the Corporate level constantly. The best Manager there was [Removed] and when he resigned due to internal issues the place has fallen apart. Residents have moved out by droves after he left . The current manager have mysteriously left because of issue's after only few months. The food is horrible and the sale's leader will agree to anything to get your loved one in there because of the pressure's he's under to sell the overly priced apartment's and the only type of Management they have there is a person named [Removed] as Manager/ Floater who has been replaced from this building due to things told to resident's and other issue's. The resident's have made many complaints about her and Corporate is so desperate for Manager's they keep putting her in charge there and do nothing about the issue's there. They are now bringing back Manager's that left there because of issue's earlier this year. People are and have been moving out in droves. [Removed] loved us and took great care of us and we all miss him dearly and keep in contact with him today. This is not a good place to put your loved one.

Holiday Retirement

Hi Kelly, my name is Katie and I'd like to thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Diamond Ridge. We regret that you had a negative experience with us, but are glad you reached out, as your opinion plays an integral part in our customer service and process. If you have other comments or would like to share any additional information with us, please don't hesitate to reach out to our resident relations team at [removed]. Thank you!

My daughter & I visited, had lunch and felt right at home. Grounds are beautiful, staff friendly, residents smiling in groups engaged in activities.I was excited & happy with my first experience. Thank you for matching us.

We liked that the apartments were spacious and clean. She especially liked the 2nd floor terrace apartment. Activities are many and food is very good.

Think twice before putting YOU'RE loved one here!

When my mother moved in 4 years ago it was a very nice place with management that seemed to know what they were doing and they did a good job.

As the years progressed, the turnover in management and staff was unbelievable. My mother would no sooner learn their names and they would be gone, or they were only here for a short while and then they were sent for training? Shouldn't they be trained before they get placed?

The food at first was alright, but again the lack of qualified management the dining staff would come and go as they pleased, including the chef. I don't even know how they can call him a chef. Anyway, hot dogs and cereal for the evening meal don't constitute a chef prepared meal to me.

It is independent living, but the staff should notify family members and/or authorities when a resident is no longer capable of caring for themselves. This is not the case for Diamond Ridge. They seem to only care that the rent check arrives on time and as long as it does they don't care whether or not the resident is capable of getting to the dining room, activities or personal hygiene. My mother was actually giving another resident a shower every other week (which is not enough in my opinion) because that woman could not give herself a shower or wash her own hair. These are simple things that should be monitored at least quarterly for the residents benefit.

Things were not being fixed when in disrepair and the smell walking through the hallways got to be unbearable.

We notified the manager Matt that my mother would be moving and from that day forward he totally ignored her. He went so far as to not serve coffee at her table in the dining room. No one was available on move out day to do a walk through of the apartment with us. Matt made sure he was gone or off that weekend causing us to have to make a seperate trip back there to turn the keys in. Totally unacceptable to treat anyone that way and my mother couldn't understand why he wouldn't speak with her. She did nothing wrong.

Hi Peggy,
I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. First, allow me to sincerely apologize for your mother's negative experience at Diamond Ridge. Every element outlined in your account of her time there is completely unacceptable. I've passed your concerns, verbatim, on to our Resident Relations department to investigate. Have you called them to lodge an official complaint? Please know that you're welcome to do so by calling [removed]. Thank you - Katie

Seemed like a nice place!

Overall I think they do a good job at Diamond Ridge Retirement Community. I helped a friend locate this community, and everything seemed very nice when I visited him. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the management was friendly and easy to work with. The only complaint I heard from my friend was about the food. It seemed fine every time I ate there, but he really had an issue with it.

A good place for my mom and her dog

I waited to write a review until I had actually stayed in my mother's room with her so I could see exactly how she spends her day. After several visits, I can say that Diamond Ridge is a fine place. Both my mother and I especially enjoy the meals which is important to me because my mother had lost her appetite. The meals are well planned and the chef does a great job. The portions are moderate and they don't overwhelm elderly diners, but there are so many different components to every meal that no one can possibly leave the table hungry. The meals are varied and the dishes served are not often repeated.

The staff is friendly and respectful. Most of the other residents are pleasant and outgoing.

There are activities such as exercises, games and movies of which my mother, unfortunately, does not avail herself. There is on-site physical therapy too.

The indoor common areas are attractive, clean, and well maintained. The grounds are nicely landscaped with trees, shrubs and seasonal flowers.

I am relieved that my mother is living at Diamond Ridge. It's not perfect, but I know she is safe and well cared for.

Most everything with Diamond Ridge Retirement Community has been great. One area where they could stand to improve is the food. The food there is really iffy. They served something that was visibly not edible. They have recently hired a new chef so I am hopeful things will be changing for the better here soon.

Compared to other places we went to, it is more like home and less of a nursing home environment. He seems to be adjusting well and I would recommend them.

Please think twice before taking your loved one here!

Too many unfixable problems here. No stable management structure, chef is often missing, served hotdogs too many evenings. Activity room flooded and unavailable for well over a month. Residents quarantined to their rooms twice in one month for illnesses within the facility. Security guard in the kitchen, food had to be thrown out, no information for residents about what is going on there! The last year has been a nightmare. Price keeps going up, quality keeps going down. People keep moving out.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. Although I'm very sorry to hear that your loved one is having a negative experience at Diamond Ridge, I'm very glad that you brought all of these concerns to our attention. We'd really like to learn details about each of these concerns so we can investigate them. Please call our Resident Relations department at [removed] at your earliest convenience. I've passed this review onto them as well.

Thanks,
Katie

absolutely amazing!

The people there are really nice, and it is just absolutely amazing! A lot of people don't realize that places like this are out there. My cousin was previously living in a place where the activities were nearly non-existent and the atmosphere was not as warm and friendly. She was feeling depressed, and I was thinking there has got to be something out there better. By the grace of God I found Diamond Ridge Retirement Community. I was totally flabergasted with how wonderful the place was. I asked my cousin to come and look, and she fell in love with it! It cost less than the other place she was in too. They were so nice that they just bent over backwards! They could not wait to get my cousin in there. They were so helpful, and my cousin is so happy and content.

It's nice and they are very accommodating.

It seems to be pretty good to me. It's nice and they are very accommodating. The food is good, and my dad seems to be enjoying himself. It's working out so far.

Disappointed

Having worked with seniors, change can be difficult. Too many managers and co managers have come and gone at Diamond Ridge in the short year my mother has been there. Large dogs are allowed at this facility. It looks nothing like it did when she first moved in. The furniture needs replacing or at least cleaned. We chose Diamond Ridge because of its location, friendliness & appearance... Very disappointed it did not remain. Please hire managers who generally care about our elders. Remember, you will be there at some point too.

First imprssions

My first impression of the facility was impressive...the staff, food and the room was all excellent. I haven't moved in yet, so an overall review cannot be given yet. but will do so in another week, and will at that time be able to comment more then.

Indepedent living

It’s a nice community, but as it happens I don’t think it’s a good fit for my loved one. It’s much better for independent living. It’s clean. The food is fine. The folks are nice. It just talks a certain amount of independence to live there.

They have been very, very helpful.

They have been very, very helpful. I think the value is extremely fair. What they pay is comparable to what they would pay if they had to pay for each thing separately, rent, cable, power, water, food, etc. Their food is absolutely phenomonal. She wasn't very happy that she had to leave where she is and is quite stubborn about getting out and meeting people. Sometimes maybe when a person feels like that maybe they could get people to come up and talk to her, just to let her know what's going on. We were thinking that when you have a person like that, maybe even a staff member and a willing person who is living there could go up and talk to them and maybe invite them to join in some activities a few times until they start to get comfortable. I know that they have done that, once or twice I think someone did come up and say that they were having some kind of a panel thing downstairs, and maybe if they did that more often she would be more apt to open up. They have been so helpful. The people over there are just great!

He talks about the variet of activities and likes the entertainment.

It is very expensive. I wish it were cheaper. I feel as though I constantly have to initiate things for him because he won't on his own, but the staff is very responsive. He talks about the variety of activities and likes the entertainment. The only thing at this point is that the staff seems very transient. The turnover for the live in managers seems a little high. But even then the people who come in are very cordial, and helpful, and tremendous in their effort to please. A lot of the other places had the same things but this place seems to have everything, if you have the ability to take advantage of everything it would be a great place. I do have to say that I am very happy that he is where he is and that I feel comfortable that he is safe and secure and if I need anything they are on it. I think that families should also look into financial benefits like Veterans benefits, but know that there are many others out there.

Great setting and location

We chose it because it was close to where she lived before and its close to us. We took her on the tour with us and she liked it there immediately. Its a beautiful setting. they walk outside, which is nice, so they get their fresh air and they have ncie rooms to just sit and relax and talk. She likes the food and they have good choices so that's good. I tried the food once, it was at the hawaiian luau but it was too hot outside so they had to bring it in; the food wasn't that good but I don't even think it was them cooking it. If she has an issue with anything-they gave her a microwave which was broken and replaced it- they take care of it pretty quickly which is good.

Should the need occur, this is our fi...

Should the need occur, this is our first choice. Clean, feels more like a senior resort with nice rooms, extra amenities for seniors. We both feel comfortable with this facility. Wonderful staff. Walking path around building for residents.

Since they are in the same corporate ...

Since they are in the same corporate loop as Devonshire Estates, it would be more appropriate for me to be in Lenox. I've notified them of that choice.

Situated on 13 acres of charmingly landscaped woods, Diamond Ridge is just outside of Troy, a town where history, culture and friendly faces await you. The original hometown of Samuel Wilson – or Uncle Sam – we’re also the location of the Emma Willard School, the nation’s first all-female college.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind