Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk - Norfolk, VA

Not a fan of the layout

I liked this property, however, my dad did not like it as much as the one we ended up placing him in which with his mental status being what it says a lot. For me, there was nothing wrong necessarily with the location the staff seemed nice and friendly and helpful. However, it was just the layout of the building that seemed a little off to me.
It is strictly a locked memory care community which is fine that wasn't a deterrent that is what I was looking for it was just the layout I didn't care for.

Plenty of activities!!

My father has recently moved into this community and so far things are going okay for him. I had a few communication issues in the beginning with the staff but they have seemed to work them selves out. He has had no complaints about the meals they provide them and enjoys participating in activities with the other residents from time to time.

Brad and Carrie are caring professionals. Te both covered their depts thoroughly and professionally. Their knowledge is without measure. Their caring and ability to answer immediately all our questions. They both are your best assets. As we observed the staff in our tour, we saw caring, fiendliness and ability to take care if the residents. Thank you for your menory care facility--not an easy job and you are greatly appreciated.

CMC - Norfolk is the BEST !!! We appreciate and want to thank everyone for all you do.

Good, but visitor access is too difficult

This facility has improved markedly under new ownership and improvements to the facility, cosmetic upgrades, etc., have made a big difference. The biggest (recent) complaint for family members is not being able to punch a code to get into the facility, access elevators, etc. A staff member has to accompany visitors to get them onto elevators. They're not always present, so visitors have to wait, go find someone, etc. This isn't pleasant or convenient, and it adds a real burden to the already burdened staff. I know it's for security purposes, but family members could be given card access, for example.

Commonwealth Senior Living

Dave,

Thank you so much for your message. I appreciate your comments regarding our security measures at Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk. Ensuring the safety of all of our residents, their family members, and team members is very important to us. I would love the opportunity to meet with you to discuss our current policies and see if there are areas for improvement when family members visit. Please feel free to reach me at [removed] or [removed]. Thank you again! Ed Corbeil, Vice President of Operations, Commonwealth Assisted Living.

Making a difference!

Let me just tell you, this place is phenomenal! When we had to find a place for my 93 year old mom (who btw is Italian and fiesty) they took her with open arms. The staff listen to your suggestions and actually follow through with their commitment to take care of their residents and their families. Although, there has been some turnover, the new team in place are trying to make a difference. They understand that every resident's care plan is different and try to work with each one to optimize their well being. They are getting rid of the folks that don't have that philosophy and I'm okay with that. A couple of shout outs are to Felicia, the marketing director, Carolyn, the executive director and John the nurse practitioner! They listen and care!! And I thank you, please keep making strides!!!

Getting mom settled

Just placed my mom but the staff has been great! Everyone was so helpful in getting her settled. This is such a nerve racking experience and to know that they have your moms best interests at heart is a relief that is hard to describe!

Nice looking place, wonderful staff

They're really doing an excellent job taking care of my loved one here, despite it being a difficult situation. My Dad has severe dementia, but the staff here are obviously very knowledgeable and understanding when it comes to memory care. They've also gone out of their way to be reassuring and accommodating to my Mom as they care for Dad. The facility itself is very nice, Dad has his own apartment and bathroom, and was able to bring a lot of his own things from home. They've also got plenty of activities here to keep the residents entertained. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone looking into memory care in the area.

My Dad's Care

Nice room, staff are very friendly and helpful. Had some issues with my Dad's laundry in the beginning but have since worked them out. When I need to contact someone, I usually get a quick response. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.

A Piece of Mind

Commonwealth Memory Care of Norfolk is one of the most pleasant assisted living residences I have been involved with. It gives me such piece of mind and has been a Godsend for me. I am able to have a life of my own knowing that my husband is being cared for the way I want him to be. The staff and all concerned are a gre at bunch of people. I do appreciate everything they do for my husband.

This is one of the most outstanding memory care centers worldwide. My aunt, Mary War, adjusted within the first month at this facility. Everyone seems to go the extra mile for the adjustment of the resident's new home. My aunt has been in this facility for 1 1/2 year and I am especially happy.

Staff is Caring

Commonwealth Assisted Living is a very fine facility for those with memory problems. My mother has resided here for over a year and has improved in her health and disposition. The staff is caring and has been a godsend to our family.

Staff has been very friendly and help...

Staff has been very friendly and helpful. They were able to accomplish a lot in a very short time. I will have a better overall evaluation once I have had a chance to visit the facility.

Least expensive. Nearby and uses hosp...

Least expensive. Nearby and uses hospitals close to us.

This one sounds wonderful, talked to ...

This one sounds wonderful, talked to branch manager about it on phone but its just not an area my dad would go to.

Welcome to Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk, offering residents secure and round-the-clock care in a community that celebrates their uniqueness and individuality. Conveniently located in Norfolk, Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk is the only memory care facility in the area dedicated to the care of those with Alzheimer’s, dementia and memory loss. We’re situated close to three major medical campuses and medical offices. Our community specializes in meeting the needs of residents with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.

Our commitment to our residents has been reinforced by our recent and extensive renovation. We believe in creating the best environment possible for our residents. That’s also one of the reasons we invest in our signature Sweet Memories program, which received a best practice award from the Virginia Assisted Living Association. It’s managed with compassionate, 24-hour caregivers, specially trained to offer those experiencing memory loss, Alzheimer’s or dementia the attention they need, as well as the safety and security they require. We understand that Alzheimer’s and dementia affect not just an individual, but entire families. We have extensive experience working with loved ones to create a home-like and secure environment that supports the health and needs of each resident.

We have designed this community with intensive memory care needs in mind, such as constant access to care, individualized activities and the opportunity to socialize and maintain physical health. For example, our full-time activities director coordinates regular activities and our team members deliver personalized care services with sensitivity and respect. Residents enjoy suites and companion rooms with private baths. Personal and dignified care is vital and we develop an individualized care plan for each resident that includes quarterly care plan reviews with families. We also offer monthly support group meetings for families and family night dinners. Each person has unique needs and we tailor services to our residents, such as medication management and weekly housekeeping and linen service. We encourage you to explore Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk further and schedule a tour today.