The Gardens of Virginia Beach - Virginia Beach, VA

Friendly, warm but dangerous if require accurate and timely meds

Just left 3 days ago after one month respite. Facility cozy and rooms bright with large windows. Friendly staff. Do not recommend for respite unless things improve under direction of new Nursing Director. Significant cautions, particularly if medication is important for your loved one and if there is no one regularly there to advocate for them. Moved in at time (one month ago) when there was severe staffing shortage and disorganization and poor communication among staff and with residents and family. Despite our 6 hour daily presence and involvement, it took 13 days for dad to get his first scheduled bath. Rise time for the day ranged between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. though resident requested 7 a.m. New Nursing Director recently arrived and is trying to overhaul. Scheduled bathing remedied. Rise time range improved a bit. Medication continued to be a problem until the end. Ran out of meds four times. Three times ran out before trying to refill. Fourth never refilled and dispensing accidentally stopped completely. Up until final days, frequent incorrect dosing of at least one of the meds and absence of one entirely. Dad was on special diet including thickened liquids but meds were dispensed with unthickened liquids for weeks until I caught it. While there, dad struggled severely with congestive heart failure and pneumonia. He aspirated meds when given multiple to swallow at one time. Had great trouble getting the lasix needed to help with his congestive heart failure. Had we not pushed, staff would have delayed for a week until traveling nurse came. We had similar challenges with treatment of his pneumonia. All diagnostics had to be requested by family. No indication that staff could/would have recognized problem and taken appropriate action on their own. The accidentally discontinued med and the misdosed one were crucial to his heart and swallowing conditions. Seems to explain why Dad suddenly developed uncontrollable congestive heart failure and pneumonia. His health was stable even before and after his fracture, surgery, and rehab. Health declined significantly only after arriving at the Gardens. By discharge, he had congestive heart failure and pneumonia in both lungs and we were debating whether to take him to ER instead of home as planned. Since he’s been home for three days, he’s begun to improve. Discharge note extremely riddled with errors: meds left off, misnamed, incorrect condition, incorrect and incomplete history (reported LEFT leg fracture when it was his RIGHT leg, other significant history omitted, current diagnoses omitted). This was important for dad who left for home therapies (PT/OT/ST). Errant report has caused a lot of confusion with home care admitting nurse and therapists. While at Gardens, we chose in-house therapy but would not recommend on-site PT/OT/ST unless there is no urgency nor need for predictability. Dad was there for recovery from fracture and was coming from a rehab facility. We’d expected no significant interruption in therapy but therapy was slow on starting with OT wanting to delay eval until a week post arrival. Additionally, we were unable to get the home aid prescription filled so when Gardens staff wasn’t available to give scheduled baths for two weeks, neither could we obtain outside help that was covered under insurance. Using an outside home therapy provider means more reliable and predictable visits, along with home aid for bathing. In-house therapy offers no such aid but has PT, OT, and ST, and makes available therapy room that is otherwise not available to visiting therapists. In-house therapists were very warm and kind. Nursing Director is very responsive and responsible and is in the process of implementing some significant and much-needed changes, but I’d recommend you do your own investigation. Ask residents and any family present about their current experiences. If your loved one’s health is stable and medication isn’t important to your loved one’s well-being, and if what your loved one needs is just warmth and affection, this is a sweet place.

The staff was extremely helpful and considerate throughout the entire process. They all worked the process as easy as could be expected.

Was having problems convincing my Father that putting my Mother in memory care was the safest thing for her being she was out wandering and getting hurt so much. It got to the point that she fell and broke her neck and she was put into rehab. [Removed] at The Gardens was my answered prayer. [Removed] went out of her way spent much of her time talking to me and letting me open up to her about what I had been going through the last two plus years, she then had a private meeting with my Father and laid everything out for him and said if he wanted the best for his wife that he needed to make the decision and keep her safe. The facility is very clean, people are happy and involved in many activities throughout the day. I got a great room for Mom where she has a little living room, bedroom and bathroom with a shower. I feel like we hit the lottery when I met [Removed] as I have been trying for over two plus years to get my Mom in a safe place that will take good care of her and the nursing staff there is very kind and caring. I have been to many facilities in the past two years and as [Removed] said to me, when you feel it's the place for your parent you will just know it, and both my father and I knew The Gardens of Va. Beach was it! The first day I was expecting problems with Mom but she actually was very pleasant and fell asleep in her own bed and Dad and I left knowing we made the right decision for her. I can't say enough about everyone at the Gardens, I feel like we now have an extended family with everyone there. I also want to thank [Removed] the Senior Living Advisor at A Place for Mom she was a very big help to me as well in this journey, I will forever be grateful to her and [Removed] for the way they both have gone above and beyond for me and my family.
Sincerely,
[Removed]

Enjoyable Staff!!

I have no complaints of how things went during my tour of this place recently. I think the staff have done a great job presenting the community and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. The floor plan was open and easy to navigate through. It was just not the right fit in the end decision for my loved one but I would recommend it to anyone

Nice Tour of this Community

We had a good tour of this community. It is a nice facility with kind people. The experience went well overall. There were many factors that played into where to place my parents for their needs. My tour went well, but I did find another community that suited our needs better.

There Is A Lot Of Socialization

The move in and experience has been fine for my mom. They are wonderful and I like the staff, the care, the environment and everything else. I picked them for my mom because they were better than all the other communities I saw. When you walk in, there is a lot of people socializing and talking with one another.

Good Safe Community

My loved one is still adjusting a bit with her move to this community. She is coming along, but I do feel comfortable with her move here. She is safe, and receiving good care. They have a nice staff, and they are taking good of her, and her needs. Hopefully with some more time she will become more adjustment. Overall I'am pleased with all they have done for us, this is a nice community.

This place was great and [Removed] was very professional with everything this place is my no 1 choice for my mom now

Amenities Abound at The Gardens

The Gardens is a very lovely facility. The staff members and Directors are extremely friendly and willing to help in any way they can to make the new resident feel welcome.

There are a variety of activities available to keep one busy and social. It is up to the resident to avail oneself to these opportunities.

I didn't realize that there are PT/OT services available on the premises. There is an exercise facility to accommodate the PT, which is an important item for my father.

The dining room is open all day. That way the resident can be flexible about eating times. That is a big plus!

Weekly housekeeping and laundry are provided, along with a daily bed-making and emptying wastebaskets.

Administering medicine was a big plus for my aging father, as there were many parameters to consider when taking various medicines related to his new heart condition.

So Far Everything Is Working Out Well

So far everything is working out very well. My father has adjusted very well to this community. It is a nice and clean community. The staff is good, they have been great to work with. I'am very pleased with everything they have done for us. I know he is safe and good hands. They are providing him with good care. I would recommend this community.

Good Food. Good Facility.

The food at the Gardens of Virginia Beach is pretty good. Staff is great and overall, it is a pretty good facility. Location is convenient for us too.

Nice and Encouraging

The staff has gone out of their way in order to make my parents feel comfortable. They moved from a different city, so it has been a tough transition, but everyone has just been so nice and encouraging. They are slowly but surely coming around.

An excellent place for your loved one.

The Gardens of Virginia Beach is an excellent place for your loved one. I think they should change the way they do activities. More varied activities would be nice. The communication with the staff has been very good. The food needs improvement. The cooking staff just got fired, so I am hoping the food will get better. They also need more parking for visitors, and a bigger dining room. The dining room tends to get a crowded.

Outstanding thoughtfull personal.

My Aunt has been given outstanding care since arriving there. She had to be hospitalized recently and the director took time from his busy schedule to visit her. I was very appreciative of this,

The Gardens of Virginia Beach Assisted Living & Memory Care

It is a beautiful, homely place with a caring staff (although the kitchen staff - the young ones could be improved a bit). Residents are well monitored & encouraged to take part in the activities & outings. The Gardens also offers in-house health services with Doctor, nurses, lab work, PT, OT, pharmacy, & memory care services which is covered by Medicare. They even allow one pet, which is always therapeutic. My father did not want to leave his lovely home, but seems to be having a good time now at The Gardens of Virginia Beach.

My aunt loves it!

My aunt really loves it at The Gardens of Virginia Beach! I have not seen the place personally myself yet, but her comments about it have all been very good. They have a lot of good activities that she likes to engage in, and the staff there is all very friendly. She is very happy there.

The Right Choice

Great atmosphere and friendly/attendant staff. Dining and daily activities noteworthy. After a month and one half, very satisfied with choice.

Its Better than the one before.

This was a very nice looking community. The facility itself was well kept and clean, and the staff were all very friendly and professional. It is a safe and caring environment for my mother in law and feel it is better than her previous residence.

Five Star Reviews

Hi Anonymous – Thank you for your compliments. Our staff at the Gardens are some of the greatest caregivers with whom I have had the pleasure of working and I am happy to think that you and your family may sleep better knowing that your mother in law is here with us. Warm Regards, David Dybel, Executive Director.

very helpful and very nice

David, the manager of the facility, was very helpful and very nice. The Gardens of Virginia Beach came highly recommended to me, and rightly so. They have been fantastic in every way. Great facility, super helpful and friendly staff, etc.

Nice place!

So far everything has gone very well with The Gardens of Virginia Beach! They've done a great job looking after my loved one, they're very caring and it really comes across in everything that they do. The residents here all seem to be happy and enjoying themselves. The facility itself is nice, and although they are in the middle of some renovations now, generally very clean.

staff was more than accommo...

staff was more than accommodating - we had lunch at The Gardens and enjoyed our visit. The facility is attractive, but we found other options more compelling.

New Management

They had a bad reputation. We've talked to several people who had their loved ones at The Gardens and had to move them. When I brought this up to them they said they're under new management but you know how that goes. The tour was very nice and very professional but we still weren't sure.

This place is 5th on my lis...

This place is 5th on my list. There was a cluttered feel throughout the building. Liked the dining flexibility. Room and board reasonable;however, the Care Level and Med Management fees are high. When everything is added together it is still less than what Mom is paying now.

Looked terrible. Did not ev...

Looked terrible. Did not even tour

All staff were great. Really a commun...

All staff were great. Really a community feel here. I wish they had a memory unit and secure facility for memory patients. Really love the pets being allowed and the shadow boxes outside rooms. I just wish for the great price that they included furniture. since Dad has minimal items!

Talked to Lisa. Nice place, but not ...

Talked to Lisa. Nice place, but not a good walking place.

Loved it!

Loved it!

Nice place. Studio is just a bedroom...

Nice place. Studio is just a bedroom - nothing other then a bedroom. Very, very small. Place itself is nice.

Offers trial period and short term. I...

Offers trial period and short term. I like this one.

I toured this place. Nice place, but ...

I toured this place. Nice place, but too far away from where I live.

Prices have climed and services decli...

Prices have climed and services declined over the last 3 years. such a shame for a nice looking place.

I think place is perfect

I think place is perfect

maybe

maybe

The Gardens of Virginia Beach provides assisted living in an apartment-style setting that offers the simple pleasures - nutritious food, comfortable surroundings, and the support of a warm, caring and competent staff. A Short Stay Program for seniors who need short-term care may also be available. It is the ideal alternative for recuperating after a hospital stay, while family caregivers are on vacation or if you just want to try out assisted living. Please call for more information or to schedule a visit to find out how The Gardens can enrich your life or the life of a loved one.