Churchill Manor - Edmonton, AB

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Our Mom is Happy

Overall my mother does like the facility. Generally the meals are good but on occasion, not what one would expect for a facility that charges a premium for rent. Staff are responsive and seem genuinely interested in the health and well being of their residents. The facility is well looked after and clean

Food not great

The staff and people are awesome! Everyone is friendly. However, the food is not great. Especially the evening meals. Soups are tasteless and sandwiches are dry. Barely eatable. I hear complaints daily even after it was brought to management attention multiple times. The activeties are hit and miss, many cancelled. Very confusing when schefule is not as listed. Have seen improvements with it over last few weeks. Housekeeping is great. Love the doctor and pharmacist. Overall it is good, very clean and well maintained.

We really like Churchill. The staff are very caring. My dad hasn't decided to leave his home yet but the staff at Churchill call and check in on him. They are the most attentive community we've looked at so far.

Review of Churchill Manor

We are very pleased so far with our experience at Churchill Manor. My father has been there now for almost 8 months. The staff have been wonderful, extremely helpful and friendly. The suites are spacious and well maintained, the building and grounds are beautiful. In this particular residence the access to the doctor and pharmacy made the transition from independent living to assisted living in a different city very easy. There are lots of activities available and although my father isn’t much of a joiner, he is slowly staring to take more interest.

Beware

We have lived here for a few months now, and were pretty impressed on our tour, but, after being here for a while we find that the food especially has degraded to being almost inedible if you have good taste buds. The serving staff, though working hard, is overworked and it sometimes takes more then 1 hour to get through an insipid meal. On occasions they run out of the main or secondary choices on the menu, supper is a 1/2 cup of soup and a sandwich and often a piece of dry cake. We are given a weekly menu but it is invariable changed. There is chicken or pork in very small servings and a lot of frozen meat items that are overcooked, frozen mixed vegetables and fresh that are so overcooked they are mush, sausages and bacon once a week that are baked so hard some cannot cut or eat them, eggs served up cold or uncooked (especially on weekends), and very seldom beef that is mostly unrecognizable, except when it is roast beef which is very seldomly served. Vegetables such as red cabbage and green beans are served so often it is becoming a joke. So the food is not good. The accomodations are quite nice, aircconditioned and small animals are allowed, so these are on the positive side. I do not feel we get what we are paying for and so we will be looking for better accomodations in the very near future, in the hope that all independent living senior homes are not the same.

Great facility! Super friendly staff and residents. Close to amenities. Clean and bright

I really enjoyed the tour. I would really consider this place but for the moment it is a little out of my price range. But will not write it off. Depends on my sale of my property. But great facility. Excellent staff etc. I have put my name at this facility.

I had the tour at Churchill and was very impressed with what they have to offer. but it is a little more than I want. The cost is more for the total for [Removed] and I together. I need hardly any of the facilities like three meals a day , and I can still look after myself for living. I just want to be among lots of people for companionship and not rent an apartment where there is no mingling.oportunities

We have met some of the most wonderful people at and affiliated with Churchill Manor

A place for Dad

The staff at Churchill have been fantastic in getting my father settled into his new studio suite. We were very fortunate that there was a vacancy and we could move Dad in within a two weeks.

The first day we were able to sit with him during his meals so he could become familiar with the schedules. The food is very good and there is somewhat of a verity each day.

We have also arranged home care for my father which was organized very quickly.

Overall we are very pleased that he is in a safe place and getting the care he needs.

Suites are a very nice size, liked the location as well. We are looking for an opportunity to make a few meals in our suite but would be limited to do this at this facility.

This is a very clean Manor. We liked it for the location. The price was average but it doesn't include any medical assistance. Very impressed with their transportation access for residents.

Very Pleased with Churchill Manor

Churchill Manor has a very nice atmosphere and you get a good feeling when you walk in. The grounds are well kept and the flowers are beautiful. There are many activities for the residents to participate in if they chose to do so. The staff have been very patient with helping our mom transition into the residence and we are very pleased with our choice.

Thank you to A Place for Mom and Chrchill Manor

We are so grateful for the wonderful help we received from A Place For Mom! We were successful in finding a wonderful facility for our Father called Churchill Manor.
The staff at A Place for Mom and Churchill Manor are so amazing and caring.

Review of Churchill Manor - Edmonton, AB

April provided a lovely tour and based on her personality and enthusiasm for Churchill Manor we were quite drawn to this residence. Lovely apartments with balconies excellent selection of activities events and the menu offered in the dining room is delectable. The only reason this seniors community was not chosen is we believe our mother requires a higher level of support based on her current medical needs.

Appreciation for staff at Churchill Manor

Staff have been extremely helpful and kind while assisting us to relocate our 93 year old mother to Churchill Manor.
We are very grateful to them.

Bottom Line is more important to Atria

My mom wanted to move to Churchill Manor because she had had friends who had lived here and really enjoyed it. However, we found out after mom moved in that CM is under new management, a firm from the US. I am not impressed with their team. They have pretty much laid off all the staff we knew from when we were negotiating mom's lease. The new chef is not very good--my mom shares stories of what they are given to eat, and the quality of food does not live up to our expectations. My mom says she doesn't get enough meat proteins, and some dishes are seasoned strangely, and not to her liking. The fruit juices are too sweet, probably because they are using cheaper "beverages" rather than 100% juices. They rarely get potatoes, or beef. My mom has noticed that the wait staff are in short supply, and many seem overwhelmed. They let go Lorne and Laura, who were live-in resident managers, and now the single man who replaced them is leaving too, and he wasn't a live-in manager. Some of the residents likely should not be there. One gentleman seems to have Alzheimers, and constantly wanders around, my mom feels like she needs to keep her door locked at all times in case he comes into her suite. There is another lady who cannot get herself into or out of her chair at the dining table, and needs wait staff to help her. We think that residents should be screened better since the requirement is that you have to be able to look after yourself. The staff are already few and overworked, often multi-tasking. The building design is another issue. There is only one elevator for the whole building, which is 3 floors of maybe 50 suites each, so there is always a traffic jam before and after meal times. It is also a bit of a safety hazard for so many residents with limited mobility. One fellow seems to hog the TV room, as he essentially made my mom and her guests feel like they had to leave when he came in and wanted to watch TV. The pastor they have for the Christian church services does not speak clearly nor loudly, so my mom often can't hear him well. Many of the activities are not things my mom is interested in, so she doesn't participate much. Overall, while the suite is to her liking, and she is comfortable, we feel that there isn't good value for the money she is spending monthly to live there. If they improved their meal delivery and their on-site management staff, I would probably rate them much higher. They just need to do a better job of putting the seniors first, rather than the bottom line!

Kate Vance

You’re comments are concerning to us – we’d like to hear more about your experiences so we can help. Please reach out to us at [removed].

My mom loves it.

My mom loves it. She has everything she needs and they bring her where she needs to go. They have lots to do, exercise classes, socials, all kinds of entertainment. There is occasionally a complaint about the food. They were a little more than some other places, but for what they offer, it was worth it.

We just had a short respite stay here.

We just had a short respite stay here. They were very nice. They were very hospitable. I would, and have recommend them to others. The food was amazing here. The people were excellent. It was clean. We did have some issues with the billing, but we had an unusual situation.

It's very clean and the staff is very friendly and approachable. They are pretty responsive if there are questions or concerns. The residents used to complain about not having enough variety with the meals but that seems to be improving. They do have a newsletter and the residents are able to have a meeting and bring things to their attention that they would like changed or improved.

It's gone a little downhill since mom moved in.

It's gone a little downhill since mom moved in. A lot of people have left that mom was familiar with. It's clean and the food is okay. But the lack of consistency is tough on an older person, it's hard for them to build trust, when it's always a different person.

Nice place, but going through a rough period currently

We've had somewhat of a mixed experience with Churchill Manor recently. For the most part I think it is a nice place.The staff is friendly, and the facility itself is attractive and clean. However they recently went through a change of ownership and that has caused some turmoil. There's been a lot of staff turnover which has caused some problems with communication and disrupted some of the regular services. The food has been very hit or miss, as they haven't been able to keep a chef on long term.

My daughter and I took a tour of the Manor. It is much cosier than the [different facility] (only 3 stories) A bachelor rents at the same cost as a one bedroom at the
[different facility] (only 374 sq ft). We had lunch but it was not hot - who likes med warm mashed potatoes? You could see the residents everywhere unlike the [different facility] where no one was around?? Trying to find out where I can sell some of my furniture, china and books.

I loved it but it is more expensive than I can handle at present.

Tour for Churchill manor will be at the end of August

Set on beautiful grounds in the southeastern corner of the city, Churchill Manor has proudly served Edmonton, Alberta, seniors since 1998. We provide a warm, inviting and stress-free retirement community lifestyle, and our 24-hour staff is available to help with anything you need. We are conveniently located to shops, restaurants, healthcare facilities and many local parks and attractions. If you’re in the mood to explore, join neighbours for a scenic outing to Elk Island National Park, Fort Edmonton Historical Site or the North Saskatchewan River. The choice is always yours.

With 29 independent living communities throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, Atria Retirement Canada is home to more than 3,000 seniors. We create warm, comfortable environments where retired people can live as they please, without the concerns of maintaining a home.