Cedars Assisted Living - Northridge, CA

Unsatifactory

Care was pretty good, once resident could get out, this was a continual objective. Management insisted that private caregiver was required for resident to stay. However once resident was removed early because of stipulation, full cost was charged due to their inability to manage security of resident.

Great facilitiy, excellent staff.

Great place, the staff is very helpful, from the Administration to the caregivers to the people that work in the dinning room. The place is clean and most of all well attended, good food which is hard to find in most of this facilities, they have all kinds of activities for the residents.

My sister and I were looking for a facility for my aunt, this is one of the only places in the San Fernando Valley area where I can really feel that our family member is getting good attention and care, but most of all that she feels at home. Thank you very much for all your hard work.

POOR MANAGEMENT

The staff are caring & nice, but there are too many residents for the number of staff.

Also there will be times that you call the staff, let's say the nurses, to ask a question about medication. Somthing you might need for a dr's appointment or social security office... I mean something simple and mundane... they tell you they'll look into it and call you back. I'm not exaggerating if i say 5-6 calls later and I still don't have an answer.

They are very very very irresponsible when it comes to returning a call. They just say "I'll call you back" & NEVER ever will.

please be aware

I wish I could say something good about this asst. living ,but my father as well as us his children who didn't want him to live in anywhere but with his family,and the state found this place for him my farther has memory problems and trust me my daughter and I witnessed first hand how the staff take full advantage of this. I cant go into detail on all whats wrong with poorly ran place and I truly hope that very soon they take a look at management very soon my personal opinion is they either need to not let Candice have anything to do with the elderly people living there I do know this my dad didn't like her and she was and is very pushy and can make the res. very uncomfortable in many ways I wish I could go into this a little deeper for a much better understanding of all I would like to say I would like to get some feedback from others maybe with the same or close to my fathers nightmare and our familys as well, I will leave you with this warning please watch very closely on there mail and there bank account. please ....

Very poor management :(( Too many residents. Very bad smell. Nice staff.

They try to keep the place clean but man it STINKS all the time. sometimes more than other times, but there's never a time it doesn't smell like urine or something... :( the carpets needed to be changed 2 years ago.
The staff are VERY hardworking, caring and nice. The problem is w/the management. They are understaff and the management is very unresponsive. There's no way you can get a hold of someone w/out having to call 10 times. The receptionists take messages but no one ever calls back! I needed some info from the nurse and the manager urgently to get to the hospital and it took many days of phone calls and messages and being on hold, to finally get to someone. Another family said they stop by when they need something, but I live far and can't do that for every little thing.

Top notch staff.

Lourdes is an amazing activities coordinator. Mike is very helpful and friendly. The staff at cedars I'd top notch.

Very nice people, but understaffed

We've had somewhat of a mixed experience with Cedars Assisted Living. The staff here are all very hard workers, and I think they do their best to look after the residents. However, the place is very understaffed. They try, but there just aren't enough of them to deliver the level of care that they need to.

the people are great

The people at Cedars Assisted Living are great! It appears that they are trying to maintain the building, however, the rugs really need to be replaced. It is time for them to do something with the high traffic areas. I have questioned occasionally their medical records. They are dispensing meds to my mom when her blood pressure was too low and she should not have received them.

All in all, I would recommend them to other people.

Satisifed with facility.

My Mom is a new resident of Cedar's. The staff is caring and friendly. It is an older facility but it is clean. Overall we are satisfied with the facility.

In Gratitude... 😘

Cedars is simply a wonderful place for those who are older. As they say there, "NO ONE is old, just older!" The staff is very kind, respectful, & conscentious. They facility is very clean & tastefully done with a variety of surroundings to spend time with your family member while there, as well as a variety of daily activities for your family member to do while you are not there. I have no worries leaving my loved one in their hands. THANK YOU Cedars, for peace of mind!!! 😍

Really - this should not be on your suggested list. Run down, many odors, limited staff, many residents appeared sullen and depressed. [removed]

They are nice

They don't seem to know when the laundry is done. They're really nice to my mom and my family. Was bummed to hear that they transferred a member of the staff out.

Cedars was a clean place, E...

Cedars was a clean place, Estafania was very informative regarding how to get help. Building had a cold feeling. She said they were in the process of redoing the building. Did not feel it was the right place for mom. Estafania said it can take up to four to five months for Medii cal to set in, but gave me a number to call and said they may help the process go through faster. She said mom could move in and we'd pay the difference until she was approved.

Comfortable feeling

Comfortable feeling

We are very, very, happy over there.

I think we are really grateful to have them. We are very, very, happy over there. It would be nice to have help with medical, something to help streamline the process. The location really worked for us. I liked that the staff was young and attentive, and seems to be really compassionate.

The people are very friendly and very caring...

The community is a little long in the tooth, but that doesn’t make it unclean. Everyone is wonderful there. What I observed was that the community was lively and people would come in ad sing or play piano. The people are very friendly and very caring and really doing their best for people.

My Mom seems very happy in the memory...

My Mom seems very happy in the memory care wing. It's given our family a sense of relief. I'm only giving the activities 3 stars because I haven't been there to see them firsthand. The events that they have planned to look fun.

Close to home but had conce...

Close to home but had concerns with mom getting around.

No Salt Diet

That was very nice the only thing is they didn't put any salt in their food and I knew that would be a problem for my friend.

The Residents Didn't Seem Happy

We didn't that one that well. I was not impressed with it. The person who escorted us wasn't very friendly and I didn't get the sense that the res were all that happy there. At other places we saw the residents interacting and being social but it was a little standoffish here.

Nice, Big Rooms but Terrible Food

Everything fine except my sister does complain about the food. Apparently they use a lot of gravy. I guess there have been other complaints about the food because I'm told that they had a meeting to talk about the issues with the food and the wait staff. They did have a period of time when there was some problem with the kitchen and they were having food brought in. My sister got two chicken wings that night - not too substantial.

Otherwise she is very happy there. The rooms are very nice and large. My sister chose this place because of the size of the rooms. We had lunch at all the places we went and this place had the worst food but the largest rooms.

They were nice enough to work with us on the cost so I really can't complain about that.

wonderful clean room friendly facility

wonderful clean room friendly facility

Mom seem to be excited. She said she ...

Mom seem to be excited. She said she liked it and could live there.

Can hold 160 residents - memory care ...

Can hold 160 residents - memory care holds 16. 2 residents in memory care. $2700 month. no diversity yet.

Northridge Pointe Chalet is an Assisted Living Facility offering independent as well as on-site assistance with medications, personal care, bathing, dressing, etc….Our experienced staff is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Each apartment is equipped with call and emergency response systems.

We are conveniently located a few blocks East of the Northridge Hospital and easily accessible from the 101, 118 and 405 freeways. Our facility is centrally located and close to churches, fine dining, fast food restaurants…..and did I mention Shopping Centers? Our goal is to encourage each person’s preferred level of independence. On a daily basis, we are committed to provide the highest standards of care and supervision. Every staff member is dedicated to enhancing the lives of each individual in our community. Our mission is to support every facet of all our resident’s rich and evolving lives.

Northridge Pointe Chalet offer quality care and services in combination with a comfortable and beautifully designed environment.

City info

Northridge is a vibrant area in the foothills of the Santa Susana Mountains in northern Los Angeles County.

- Walkability score: 39
- Average age in the zip: 35.4
- # of senior housing facilities in the zip: 6

- Average weather info: Northridge has mild winters and hot summers, with an average high of 58 in January and 73 in July. The area is sunny with occasional rainy winters. Snow is rare.

- Veteran's facilities in the area: VA Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center

Transportation

A wide range of public transportation connects Northridge to the excitement of Los Angeles.

- Buses: Senior TAP Cards allow seniors to ride the city's buses and subways at a reduced fare. The Topanga Beach Bus shuttles seniors from the San Ferando Valley to Topanga Beach and Santa Monica for 50 cents each way.

- Trains: The Chatsworth Amtrak station services the national Amtrak routes. The Northridge Metrolink station provides access to areas like Hollywood, Anaheim, Riverside, and Los Angeles International Airport.

- Taxis: Taxi services include Valley Cab and Your Cab 24 Hour Taxi.

- Car shares: A Zipride car sharing program at California State University, Northridge enables seniors to borrow a car for outings or errands.

- Ride shares: Seniors can call rides via the Uber and Lyft cell phone apps.

Health and Safety

Northridge's proximity to healthcare hubs gives residents peace of mind.

- Hospitals in the area: Northridge Hospital, West Hills Hospital, Providence Tarzana Medical Center

- Crime rate in the zip: The crime rate in 91325 is 2,805 crimes per 100,000 people, or 2.8%.

Sports and leisure

Northridge lives up to southern California's sporty reputation with tons of parks, gyms, courses, and courts.

- Golf courses near by: The city of Los Angeles operates 14 municipal golf courses, including Encino Golf Course, Balboa Golf Course, and Woodley Lakes Golf Course.

- Tennis courts/clubs near by: Northridge Recreation Center, Matador Tennis Complex, Dearborn Park

- Gyms near by - senior friendly (aerobics): North Valley Family YMCA, Fitness Unlimited, Robert M. Wilkinson Senior Center

Shopping and entertainment

There's always something to do in Northridge, owing in large part to the busy university community.

- Clothes Shopping nearby: Northridge Fashion Center, Westfield Topanga, The Village

- Grocery stores: Ralphs, Trader Joe's, Araz International Grocery

- # of Luby's near by: n/a

- Other restaurants: Marie Callender's, Honeybaked Ham, Brent's Deli

- Movie theaters: Pacific Northridge Fashion Center 10 plays the latest movies. During the school year, the Cinematheque at California State University, Northridge shows free classic films in the Armer Theater on campus.

- Libraries: Northridge Branch Library, Porter Ranch Branch Library

- Senior friendly salons (men and women): Lloyd's Barbershop, Supercuts, Hair Magic

Attractions

- Hike and rock climb in Chatsworth Park, backdrop to countless Westerns.
- Seniors can catch a program at the Valley Performing Arts Center, including jazz, ballet, and musical theater.
- The Matador Bowl hosts multiple senior bowling leagues.
- The Topanga Vintage Market offers fun flea market shopping for seniors.
- Take a seniors-only lifelong learning class or field trip with CSUN's SAGE Society.

Religious facilities

Northridge is home to many diverse faiths and places of worship, including the San Ferando Valley's only Greek Orthodox church.

- Religious facilities nearby: Our Lady of Lourdes Church, St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, Northridge United Methodist Church, Congregational Church of Northridge, Temple Ramat Zion, Temple Ahavat Shalom, Valley Hindu Temple, Islamic Center of Northridge