Gardens At Park Balboa - Van Nuys, CA

Shared rooms, will not work at this time.

Smaller group. one central room for community. Clean and nice.

This was my favorite so far. The people were so nice, the residents seemed happy. It was really clean, even though the outside of building was fairly old looking. I would like to discuss pricing with someone - the person giving us the tour didn't know anything about that.

Gardens at Park Balboa

I toured the Gardens while looking at living options for my mother. I did like it, and I thought it was a nice place, but it was more expensive than other places I looked, I ultimately liked some of the other places better. Comparatively, it seemed to me that while this was a nice community, more was offered at a better price elsewhere.

Warm and inviting

This facility exceeds my expectations. [removed] has been phenomenal in helping us. They have been really nice and friendly. Everyone here is just so warm and inviting. When we toured, they had rooms available on the spot for us to pick out. When my brother moved in, I was on vacation, and he got really sick. The facility brought him to the hospital and back home. When I said I was going to come back home to see him, they said there was no need that they were taking care of him and they would call if anything changed. They have his genuine interest in mind. For activities, they have arts and crafts, movies, they take them to Walmart, and to the casino. This is just a great facility and I really recommend it.

Love this place but out of our price range and not super costly compared to most but they are pretty non-negotiable. Medication management is an extra charge which is a major reason we need assisted living so counts this one out.

Community information

We toured this community for care for my sister. The staff seemed to be nice and were able to answer the questions that we had on the care that is offered. We did not get the feeling that we were looking for here. We would suggest that families your this community for the care of a loved one.

Location is close to my daughter

I am having a great time living here. I personally tend to keep to myself and work on my computer. The internet and wifi here are solvable. The food is very well cooked and they offer a lot of choices. The housekeeping is done very well keeps everything is clean. At some point, I may think about joining some of the activities they do offer a lot of them here. One of the major reasons I chose this place over any other is due to the location to my daughter she is very close.

My aunt really enjoys the people and the enviroment

Grateful!

My mom is FINALLY on a schedule. Something that couldn't be accomplished at home. She and her quarters are always neat and clean when we visit at any hour of the day. She loves the food and her new roommate. The med staff is on point with her meds and the care staff is attentive.

Check them out

Very friendly and helpful staff- They actually care.

Five star care at this community!!

My mother has recently transferred into the acute care unit at this community and they have really impressed me with the care they have provided her. The staff are always attentive to her needs and help her all throughout the day because she is a fall risk. All of the nurses and administration have also done a great job with keeping good communication with me and making sure I am kept informed with any progress or changes made to my mother's care plan. The residents all have a very structured day which I love and are kept busy with many activities and projects throughout the week. Overall I have no complaints and would defiantly recommend this place to anyone.

My Mom In The Community

My mom is living at this community and she is getting the right care and safe in the facility. They have activities available for my mom and the residents. She likes the meals they make very much.

It is to us clear that the needs of our Aunt be met in every way after all this will be her new home and a start of a new life. Gardens at Park Balboa met all of that and impressed with the tour and numerous Q&A that we had. We were confident that we made the right decision and now excited for our Aunt!

Very happy

This turned out to be the perfect place for my mom. She is getting the socializing and structure she needed. Her days are now filled with purpose due to the continued activities throughout the day.

She continually tells me how wonderful the staff is and the food is good. She loves the "Walking Club" in the mornings as she loves to walk.

I truly am grateful that I was able to find The Gardens at Park Balboa with the help of "A Place for Mom". The fact that I know that she is safe and eating properly has been such a huge relief. Its difficult to take care of a young family and an elderly parent while working full time.

A new home for mom

My mother in law is adjusting to her new home at this excellent community. The staff is wonderful and seems to know everyone on a first name basis. They offer great meals and a daily menu to choose from with daily specials. There offer a great range of activities to choose from to stay active. My mother in law seems very happy in her clean home and nice community. We highly recommend this to others who want the best care with a good value.

Doing good

Moved my mom in recently as she is no longer to be safely on her own. She is having her moments and wants to go back to her "old life" but overall she seems to be doing well. The staff is great always friendly have a smile on their face. Her first event was the Luau and she loved it.

She even met a woman who's husband she used to work with 50 + years ago!

GAPB has given me a peace of mind that I haven't had in months. I realized I was running myself into the ground. I am so lucky to have had the help of Michelle from A Place for Mom and the ladies at GAPB Klara and Vickie.

Gardens At Park Balboa is a nice place!

The community is very clean and the grounds are nice. I would recommend this community. The only complaint I have is dealing with one person and the insurance paperwork. The staff is nice and helpful. The food is good and she likes to participate in the numerous outings offered.

Comfortable Environment

They have made the transition for my loved one extremely easy. I cannot say enough about them as far as their ability to make her feel comfortable in a new environment. She enjoys the food and she is really happy there.

would do not anything until someone would come in

Did not like the business aspect of it. They would not do anything until someone would come in.

Five Star

They take my mom shopping, but they only give her an hour in the store. The only thing I didn't really care for is when they assessed my mom, and she is pretty independent, but later they said she needed bathing and when we got her first bill it was on there so we had to figure that out, so that was kind of a problem.

Sincere people and they try very hard at what they do

Definitely a great place. They try really hard. Their efforts are very sincere. A well meaning group of folks there. They have room to improve but are working on these changes.

A really pretty and comfortable apartment setting

My mom seems to be very happy here so far. Great food, lots of activities, and transportation to nearby places, as well as special trips. Love the size of the apartment rooms and the general layout. Beautiful gardens.

Very Flexible

The staff at Gardens At Park Balboa are very accommodating and very flexible. If you need something a little different, they are always willing to work with you, so they are not rigid, which is helpful.

I like the people. The facility is nice, undergoing renovation. Would be able to move through the place through hospice. Pilot program with kaiser.

Nice place, overall!

My loved one has only been here a short time, but overall I think things have gone well with Gardens at Park Balboa. The community is clean and well kept, and for the most part the staff have been very friendly and helpful. They've also got a good variety of activities and events to keep the residents entertained. However, I do wish they'd be a little more involved in getting the residents to participate, I'd like my loved one to join in more but it isn't the sort of thing she'd go and do on her own.

Abby is wonderful. Spent quite a while discussing my family's needs. The grounds and apartments are very nice. Amenities are also nice. The Alzheimer's section was also nice, but a little smelly (urine). We ultimately decided that my mom would be better off in a small board & care facility.

We first visited The Park's at Baboa ...

We first visited The Park's at Baboa no the fourth of July weekend. I was extremely impressed with the staff. The information that they were able to give us was fantastic. My mom and dad have since moved in and the quality of care they receive is more than I ever expected.I would highly recommend them to anyone who needs this kind of help.

A Wonderful place for Mom

We are extremely pleased with the Gardens at Park Balboa. My mother who is 91, spent 14 days to determine if this was the right place for her. During the 14 days she became healthier, she walked better and she was happier. The guests are very friendly and the staff is friendly and you can see they enjoy their job.

After the trial period we moved my mother into the Gardens at Park Balboa. She is thriving! She goes on trips, joins the excercise classes, plays bingo and attends many of the activities scheduled throughout the day. I highly recommend the Gardens at Park Balboa. We were lucky to see the ad on TV for A Place for Mom. They recommended several places and we chose The Gardens at Park Balboa.

Very impressed with the inf...

Very impressed with the information presented by Abbe. The tour was very comprehensive and the brochures, menus, costs room diagrams and activities were included in the folder. The one bedrooms were roomy and well kept. The area is spread out around a court yard, and there is a elevator for the second story. Staff very friendly and accommodating.

Very active community

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for my loved one. The residents here all seemed very happy, and extremely active. When I visited I saw all sorts of people walking around interacting, there was a band playing, and a (very competitive!) bingo game going. I wasn't as impressed with the aesthetics of the place, the inside seemed shabby and worn down, and the carpets were in need of replacement. And, although the rooms were very spacious, they also just seemed worn down and gloomy.

Great memory care

My loved one has only been here a brief time, but thus far the experience has been wonderful. The aides and care staff are very attentive, and take great care of him. They seem very familiar with the sorts of issues that come up when dealing with memory care patients, and handle everything very well. I'm a fan of the layout of the facility, it is an enclosed secure facility, but it has places to walk and outside courtyard areas to get fresh air in.
He's settling in very well here, he's already met a few people, and he's been participating in a few of the activities.
On top of all of this, this was one of the least expensive memory care communites that I saw! This place is definitely worth a look.

Would Suggest to Anyone!

Value is hard to say, it is very expensive but very good. She misses the activities a lot. The staff was exceptional, everybody that I met was just about as helpful as they could be. Their dining and their meals were very nice. They had a Halloween party that was super fun! It was a great experience, Dana, Abby, everyone was awesome. I would suggest it to anyone because they are so attentive.

The gardens at park balboa

The staff is wonderful.

Mom is Happy At The Gardens

From my mom's stand point she'd say it's a good value. My mom loves it. They do have activities. I couldn't tell you all of them but I know she plays the bingo that they offer. I think she's going to join their residents' committee to. The only thing I would say for an improvement is I've notice that the sliding doors to the rooms, to me, seem like they were installed backwards. Maybe they have a reason for doing it that way. They are doing their best accommodating my mom for security purposes. My mom loves it. She's so happy there!

the guests there seem very ...

the guests there seem very happy and the staff is friendly and upbeat. The building is in a noisy neighborhood but has a nice courtyard. I really liked Abby. She was super helpful with giving tips on how to deal with dementia and the transition to a new place.

Outstanding Cafeteria

It was very nice. I like there cafeteria. In fact, I thought their cafeteria was outstanding. The place was very pretty but this was for a man, 80 years old, that really can't hear. He's got prefect vision but he just needed more care than I thought he would have been able to get here and he couldn't have negotiated himself with the layout of the place.

Wonderful staff and layout

Everything's going fine, they're really great and it's working out really well. I mean, my parents have complaints but I'm thrilled with them. So far it's been really clean, I haven't seen any problems with it, that was one of the things I liked about it, it's kind of built like an old school california hotel, everythings outside so there's none of that hallway smell. The staff is one of the main things that sold me on this place, they have a ton of heart. I think the activities are good, my parents are having a harder time getting to them cause my dad's handicapped a little bit, its hard sometimes for him to get around but its more just the psychologically getting to places thats hard. The staff does try to get everyone up and going so id say that theyre doing their job, my parents just aren't doing theirs. This is the first place we've been to and hopefully itll be the last!

They're terrific, they really interea...

They're terrific, they really intereact with the people. They really try to do stuff with them. I had a list of five places, two of them were just too far away and out of the other three I liked park balboa the best and its actually a reasonable enough distance so I can go visit.
She's doing well there, she has dementia so she's confused but we're happy with hte care she's getting and the people there.

Good Community

Just wasn't right for our loved one. We would like to see a better care giver to resident ratio. The community and the staff did a good job and took care of our loved one. They were friendly and helpful and we would recommend them to anyone.

This facility is nice. Will take mom...

This facility is nice. Will take mom to see when she arrives. Mom wasn't real keen on this community. Felt like a hotel.

I love it! This would be perfect for ...

I love it! This would be perfect for him.He thinks it too much money.

Liked very much. Light, bright clean....

Liked very much. Light, bright clean. Met most of the friendly staff and met many of the tenants.

Nice place. reasonable $, g...

Nice place. reasonable $, good program for Alzheimer's. Very nice staff.

My parents very much enjoyed the visi...

My parents very much enjoyed the visit at this complex. We toured 4 apartments and had a great lunch. The Director is a wonderful person and my father was very impressed with her as well as the staff. I really think that her and her winning personality "sold" the Gardens at Park Balboa to my father. The facilities are dated, but everyone was so friendly including the residents that my father has decided to put down a deposit to secure an apartment. My mother is having so much difficulty navigating the stairs to their current apartment that my father wants to move as soon as possible.

just dropped in for second tour, frie...

just dropped in for second tour, friendly staff, rooms were brighter, nicer bathrooms, smaller dining room, noisy/busy street, parking for guests limited, bigger elevator

Liked this one! Clean, nice personne...

Liked this one! Clean, nice personnel...The director was great! Nice layout. Nice rooms, all private.Need to bring own furniture and tv...they have cable.

Welcome to The Gardens at Park Balboa, an Independent and Assisted Living residence in Van Nuys, CA. Our California lifestyle community is located in the heart of the San Fernando Valley, just blocks away from 2 major hospitals, and convenient to all freeways.The Gardens has been a retirement home of choice for many years, and has the atmosphere of an active club, with 100 studio and one-bedroom apartments. Designed like a garden-apartment building, our units look out onto lovely courtyards filled with flowers year round. Fully-grown trees add to the country atmosphere while staying right in the city.