Catharine's Quality of Life Homes II - Lakewood, CO

Stay clear of this place. The home appears warm and fuzzy and to that I will agree. The grounds are beautiful but if you want quality care for your loved ones this is not the place. After having two parents here I feel very sorry for any resident placed here. The amount of help, activities and doctors is an outright lie. Very under staffed to the point that meds can't even be passed out always. Most meals were cold sandwiches (even in the winter) with the occasional slow cooked roast. Other meals that were intended to be served warm were most always served cold. The training is non-existent and the few good people they get there that actually care do not last long. The owner who claims to be so hands on is never there and if you have a complaint he gets defensive and does not listen to your concerns but dismisses and admonishes you instead. Once we needed hospice care they pretty much quit caring for my mother. We would find her thirsty, hungry and in horrible pain. One gal even told me that it was hospice's job to care for her then. Why were we paying $4,000.00 a month to them then???? I believe at one time this was a great place and in the beginning for us it wasn't too bad but then it changed and not for the good.

Uncomfortable interaction between staff and residents

I was not exactly comfortable with my tour of this facility. I thought I would, since families often come out of the facility looking happy and satisfied, but I was a little disappointed. I particularly did not like the way that caretakers interacted with residents. It seemed a bit impersonal.

Calm, Caring and Like Home

My 92 year old mother was in Catherine's a short time before she died. I was looking for a place that was calm and like "home," as she was failing. The large memory center we were in was not able to take care of her medical needs. We absolutely loved the house, and the care takers were kind and supportive. They do many tasks, and are very busy, but when we needed anything while on Hospice, they were right there and took great care of my mom and all of us. I highly recommend Catherine's if you are looking for something quiet, peaceful, and more like home.

A Nice Setting

Catharine's Quality of Life Home is located in a pleasant setting. However, the staff members are really not equipped to handle advanced memory care residents, and so the care could be a little bit better.

A Gem

We toured a number of communities before placing my father at Catherine's, and each of them had some very positive characteristics. But the home atmosphere, the wonderful caring staff, and the obvious commitment to preserving the dignity and quality of life of memory care residents quickly won us over.

Since moving in, Dad is happier than he has been in years. The house based environment and smaller population of residents was a perfect fit for him. He has been socially engaged and active, without being overwhelmed. The staff take excellent care of him, and have been ever so patient with any problems he has had.

Communication and support have been great, too! We get a call any time Dad has a health issue or other concern. We have the strong sense that the staff is partnering with us to provide my father with the best possible care.

We cannot say enough good about Catherine's Homes.

Catharine’s Quality of Life residential homes create a small family atmosphere in which our resident family members don’t passively observe life – they actively live it. Our daily routine provides a familiar structure that offers comfort and security to each person and minimizes their anxiety and stress. Residents are involved in numerous small-group, daily activities designed to meet their individualized needs and provide mental, physical and social stimulation. Our 2-3 daytime staff focuses on each of our resident’s remaining strengths and interacts with them in a variety of family-oriented activities. Thus we successfully implement our innovative “activity-based” Alzheimer’s care which enriches the quality of life of each of our residents.

We are different
With more staff per resident than any home or facility in Colorado, our 2-3 staff ensures that each of our residents receives ample individualized attention on a daily basis

One acre beautifully treed lot affords residents a peaceful and relaxing setting

One-half acre back yard allows residents to feed ducks in our lake, horses in adjacent pastures and geese and squirrels from the back door

Owner works in the homes on a daily basis, and for nine years provided the hands-on care for his mother and others who had Alzheimer’s

Owner personally provides initial and on-going staff training in the myriad aspects of Alzheimer’s care; courses that he also teaches at the Alzheimer’s Learning Institute

Owner serves on Alzheimer’s Association’s Education Committee, is a member of the Association’s Speakers Bureau, gives educational talks to area families and organizations and leads an Alzheimer’s family support group.