Willowbrook Place - Littleton, CO

[name removed] is fabulous! Gave me a thorough personalized tour after what was really the end of her work day. I was very impressed with Willowbrook Place as a focused Memory Care facility.

Willowbrook Place has a group of compassionate caregivers who have the innate ability to meet the residents where they are with their specific needs. These caregivers are able to assist the more challenging residents in a positive, caring manner. However, the following are some serious concerns that I have observed regarding the care of my loved one and other residents:

- LACK OF RESPECT AND COMPASSION due to inadequate training. This is evident when some of the caregivers speak to the residents in harsh tones and raised voices often using poor choice of words for people with dementia. For example, "you're NOT supposed to be in there" as opposed to redirecting the resident, "let me help you find your way"; arguing with a resident ("I want to go to the 2nd floor" "there is no 2nd floor...NO, NO there's no 2nd floor"); humiliating a resident (“You wet your pants, now we have to change you”- in a scolding manner); pushing a resident in a wheelchair with their feet dragging underneath the chair and yelling, "Lift your feet" instead of telling the resident that they are being moved and perhaps pulling the wheelchair backwards so the resident's feet are not bent underneath the wheelchair.
- LACK OF SUPERVISION AND ACCOUNTABILITY of the caregivers and other staff.  This is evident in the continuing inappropriate interactions with residents, and residents’ family members.
- LACK OF COMMUNICATION between executive director, other administrative personnel, and residents' family members. This occurs especially when staff changes are made such as not informing families when the nursing position was vacated and was not immediately filled, and when caregivers are no longer employed with the company leaving shifts short staffed.
- LACK OF ENSURING RESIDENTS RIGHTS are respected and adhered to as stated in Willowbrook Place’s Residents Rights Policy. For example, forcing a resident to bed or into his/her room to convenience the staff.

I have addressed these concerns and others with different levels of management including the facility’s executive director and a Principal in Anthem’s corporate home office. I do not feel my concerns have been taken seriously or given any reasonable consideration since there has been little or no change(s) in the negative behaviors and interactions exhibited by some of the staff.

Willowbrook Place

I moved my mother to Willowbrook Place recently and I have found it to be very nice. I believe the people are very attentive. They learn the tenant’s names and needs very quickly and they try to be as helpful as possible. I like that this place is bigger than the last place my mother was living in because it allows for more access to activities. They do have a lot of options here such as games, church services, bingo, crafts, music, bus trips and other activities. The food here is also very good, but it isn’t always served very hot. Generally, Willowbrook Place is very good, and I’d recommend it.

Review of Willowbrook Place Littleton, CO

Excellent, our loved one received wonderful care. The administration and staff were helpful, prompt, organized and friendly. I love the fact it is memory care only.

Not for Dad

Hi I didn't get a good vibe when I came to tour this place. It was not a homey feeling more like a hospital than a home. We didn't choose this one.

My wife, [Removed] has been at this wonderful community for the last 20 months. She has received such wonderful loving care there! The care givers, nursing staff, and a activities personnel have been simply outstanding. I would recommend this facility to anyone with Alzheimer’s disease.

Willowbrook is Amazing

Willowbrook is amazing! All of the staff love working with the residents and are very friendly, helpful, respectful, and kind. The entire community is a beautiful, calm, clean, safe environment. Every staff person I interact with continues to be extremely supportive during my mom's transition. They call if there an issue or question., and I can call and speak directly to someone who is caring for my mom. The medical team and all the specialist are knowledgeable, accessible, and forward thinking. I love Willowbrook and sleep much better at night knowing my mom is in amazing hands. Thank you Willowbrook, for making this painful and stressful time a little easier.

Thanks for peace of mind

Willowbrook Place is a God send. The staff, especially the girls in blue (blue angels) treats my mom with dignity and respect. They keep her involved in activities which gives mom a purpose. She is always dressed well, hair done and she is always smiling.
Willowbrook Place gives us a sense of relief as we know mom is safe and happy. Mom loves her new home.
Thanks to all staff and residents.

Willowbrook Place is fantastic

Willowbrook Place is a fabulous memory care facility!!!! They have the best activity staff of anywhere we have ever visited. They have musical guests on a regular basis as well as games and other fantastic activities, multiple times a day, for the residents.
The staff is beyond compare. Each and every one is compassionate and cares for the residents as if they are their friends or family. [removed]

We thought Willowbrook Place took excellent care of my mother. There were many activities for the residents from pursuit to performing groups. The staff was very compassionate particularly in the last days of her life. The staff considered my mother to be part of their family & it showed.

I would recommend Willowbrook Place!!!!

The caregivers at this community are great. They have helped with her special diet and really seem to care about the residents. I have good communication with them, however I do have to go through the nurse if I need anything changed. They just hired a new activities director and I have not seen as many activities as before. This is a clean well taken care of community.

Review of Willowbrook Place - Littleton, CO

I have been very happy with the care my mother has received at Willowbrook. The staff is competent and appears to enjoy caring for the residents. My mother has had the same caretakers for most of her time here which is important with Alzheimer's patients.

Review of Willowbrook Place - Littleton, CO

The receptionist, Donna, was very friendly and helpful each and every time we came to visit one of the residents. We will miss her smiley face.

Review of Willowbrook Place - Littleton, CO

In January I observed the Activities Director, Cody, leading about 40 residents along with 10 high school students participating. They were all having a great time. Cody does a great job interacting with the residents.

We found the perfect caring "home" for 96-year old dad.

My wife and I selected Willowbrook Place for my 96-year old father due to its cleanliness, technology (to help minimize the risk of my dad from getting up without care-giver assistance. The staff seemed quite professional and friendly during our tour and the admission process.
HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART OF MY REVIEW: It has now been 9-months that dad has resided at Willowbrook. We love the entire staff. They are very, very caring and professional. Quite importantly, nearly all of the care-givers, have been serving my dad and the fellow residents the entire 9-months that he's been there. We've gotten to know them all and they are wonderful people. Amazingly, they all get along well and provide a loving environment for all of the residents. My dad is very comfortable and well cared for.
The executive director, Jay, as well as his supporting staff Birgit, Lori, Kristie, Carol, Donna, Cele, Sarah, Cody, Gilbert, Miguel, the food staff, etc are THE BEST.
Final two comment: The meals are terrific. Nice variety, well presented and prepared, and enjoyed by all in a nice atmosphere. Activities for the residents are wonderful under the loving direction of Cody.
We are so grateful that we found Willowbrook Place for dad. He's treated his family so well over his lifetime. It's nice that he is surrounded by caring people in a first class environment as he transitions from this world to the next.

A grateful daughter

My father has been at Willowbrook for about six months and I am pleased with the employees and attention he receives. I am especially pleased with the level of care that he enjoys and the variety of activities. I have peace of mind every day that Dad is safe, has appropriate medical care and oversight, enjoys the interaction with other residents and staff and is treated with dignity and respect every day.

Undocumented Injuries

We just pulled my grandmother out due to undocumented injuries we found when we visited, including bruised nose and a fractured foot. No reports were made nor did we get contacted and notified. I observed hateful behavior when care takers did not know I was there watching and when I expressed my concern, lied straight to my face. When having a meeting with the head boss, he did not show any concern. Although the place is new and nice, I whole heartedly do not recommend this facility.

Birgit moran

We are very sorry we were not able to resolve your concerns. Our mission is to protect, engage and love those living with dementia and all of us do our best every day to carry this out. Please know that our doors are always open to discuss any concerns that might arise. Jay Johnson, Executive Director.

10 Stars

Mom was in two residential homes before we found Willowbrook Place. The difference was like night and day. I can't rate them high enough because there are only 5 stars and they deserve 10.
From the very beginning, mom was treated with dignity and respect. Her cognitive function was still pretty high and she was still sharp for many months. The staff bent over backwards to engage her and encourage her to participate in activities and gatherings. It was always subtle, respectful and positive. The activities director, Cody, is the shining star among all the other gems that complete the staff there. From the front desk staff to the nursing and caregiving staff, every single person was warm, supportive and kind.
When mom showed signs of getting ready to pass, they gently and lovingly guided towards hospice resources. Mom had the kind of transition that we all hope to have. She was kept pain free and cared for until she crossed over. My family and I were supported and informed every step of the way. Without fail, every person who entered her room cared for her physical needs with tenderness and respect, giving her the dignity so important to her. Often, they would hold her hand, kiss and stroke her brow and told her they loved her. I've never seen anything like it.
I hope I never have to place a loved one in memory care again, but if I do, I wouldn't hesitate to return to Willowbrook. My family and I are forever grateful.

MY father loves it!

My Dad is here on respite care. The facility is new, staff very friendly and helpful to my father. He loves the food and all the activities. The head nurse Stacey is amazing with my Dad as well as the front desk and the activity coordinator. I did find some communication mishaps with directions I typed up and medication issues. Also, it was mentioned my Dad would be able to walk everyday with a care giver if he wanted and he mentioned today he had yet to go for a walk in the first week he has been there. I would highly recommend this facility and just recommend following up when communicating to various staff about specific issues to insure the right person has been informed.

Willowbrook Place - Littleton

Staff "knows" my family member, addresses her by name and does a good job of encouraging her to get involved. The support the family gets is wonderful. I love the sessions where family meets with other family members to come to common understanding of dementia issues.

Willowbrook

Excellent theory of care in practice also to keep folks safe and compassionate informed staff. Management is very involved and progressive regarding new techniques. Good support for families.

The cleanest and nicest place

My mothers been in about 5 places and so far this is the cleanest and nicest. It has the most freedom than any of the other places. The people are kind to her. So far she has gotten good care. It's a great place.

Nice place overall, some room for improvement

Overall I think they do a good job at Willowbrook Place, but there are some areas that I would like to see improvement in. The staff is wonderful, and they really do an excellent job working with and engaging the residents. They're very gentle and tender with all of the people here, I've visited many times and never see anyone get irritated or lose their temper with a resident. They seem very good at redirecting the residents to help avoid stressful situations before they come up.
I did have some concerns about dietary issues and the food that they serve, I have experience in the field and saw quite a few things that needed to change, but they were very receptive and accommodating to my suggestions, so that has improved somewhat.
I would also like to see them improve their communication practices, both between staff members as well as their communication with families.

Birgit moran

Thank you for your great comments. We strive to be the very best, which means we always have ways to improve. Feedback is always welcome. We are starting a monthly letter by our Executive Director in addition to the monthly calendar of events for families as a formal avenue of communications. Our doors are always open for anyone to come in and talk, ask questions, or comment in general. Again thank you for the comments!

Would not recommend this place

WIllowbrook place is a poorly run community. The food is bad, and it is almost never fresh, everything comes straight out of a can. Everything looked very nice during our tour, but after we moved our loved one in things really went downhill. They don't clean nearly often enough, by the time they get around to cleaning her room her trash is already overflowing. They do all of the residents laundry together, so clothes are always getting lost and she has to go room to room to find all of her clothes. Most of the time I just end up doing her laundry myself so that she doesn't lose any more of her clothing. The medication service has been unreliable, we've had mix-ups more than once, and have heard the same from other families we've spoken to. The aide staff here are all very friendly caring people, but the management makes it hard for them to take proper care of the residents. I would not recommend this place at all.

Birgit moran

Thank you for your comments. We strive to provide the best in all aspects of care here at Willowbrook Place, and of course welcome your feedback in any form. Our leadership team here have taken these comments upon review and are making some changes to how our laundry team perform their tasks. Our meals are mostly freshly prepared with wholesome ingredients, however there are times when canned items may be part of a recipe. We welcome anyone to come in and sample our meals which we take great care to prepare from scratch and present in an appetizing way. As part of our commitment to fresh and wholesome food as well as meaningful activities, we are planning an herb garden this summer with the help of our Residents who wish to join in on the planting and care of our fresh herbs with plans to use the herbs in our meals. We are careful to staff so our caregivers are well rested and fresh and feeling supported in their work. We polled staff regarding the comment about their ability to care in a superior way for our Residents. Fortunately, we found our staff quite satisfied and enthusiastic about working here and with the Residents we serve.

excellent care

The staff and caregivers are really excellent. My mom had several fairly complex medical problems which they were able to manage very well. We used it just for a short time, but are considering using it for long-term care, and would certainly highly recommend them.

I really can't think of anything that they can do to improve.

"A Place for Mom" introduced me to WBP. They gave me 12 references. I picked WBP because it was yet to open.
After meeting Beirgit Moran, Jay Johnson, and Cody , I assested them as being TOPS.
Then I saw the facility...it was tops.
I canceled all other inspection tours.
Since, my wife has entered the community, and I was able to meet most of the staff...and, they are tops, as a was told.
Linda, the head nurse, is terrific.
My wife was in another facility and, kicked out, because the staff was young , untrained and unable to handle her.
At WBP, the staff is trained for Alzheimer's, and knows how to handle the disease.
God Bless them.

Review of Willowbrook Place Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Littleton, CO

Lovely facility! Great set-up for seniors!

The BEST

My first impression was that they have a terrific management team starting with Jay Johnson, Executive Director, Birgit Moran, Community Relations Director, and Cody Kohlhagen, Activities Director.
Birgit explained to me that, being a mental care community,
ALL employees, would be experienced Alzheimers/Dementia trained.
The building is brand new as they opened it on August 20th.
It is well laid out, containing all of the essential equipment.
I am completley at rest knowing my wife is in the BEST of care.
My third trip has proven this fact. This is why I rated Willowbrook Place the highest in ALL catagories.

State of the art, full spectrum and dedicated memory care community. Our promise is to Protect, Engage and Love our Residents and thier families.