Cardinal Village - Sewell, NJ

Cardinal Village - Sewell, NJ has yet not published prices.

Not recommend

My mother would have been in Cardinal 3 years this January 2018 but was told she had to leave this past October. My mother started out in Independent Living and things were pretty good there. She then had a few falls and her dementia was slowly getting worse so we were told by[Removed], the director of nursing that our mom should move to the Assisted Living side. We asked how long our mom could stay there. We were told until the end unless mom needed to be hoisted because of weight or if she did not have a DNR. Well mom was 100 lbs and yes she did have a DNR but she still was pushed out. Mom contracted MRSA and was sent to Kennedy Hospital, now Jefferson. The hospital treated her and told us she could return to Cardinal, Cardinal refused to take her back. They said it was to protect the other residents. The Drs. at Kennedy and the administration both spoke with Cardinal Village telling them there was no reason our mother could not return. They told Cardinal if every resident was tested for MRSA more than half would test positive that MRSA is in a lot of nursing homes. Cardinal still refused her and the hospital and us had to force mom into Kennedy Rehab. She was there longer than usual and necessary because Cardinal continued to fight us and told us mom needed more care. Bottom line is, yes she needed more care and they did not want to give it to her. Our question was then why did you tell us she could stay until the end if this wasn't going to be the case. Our guess was that now mom was Medicaid and they weren't getting as much money as they did before. All her money was gone. They now could put a private pay resident in my mom's apartment and get more money. I have to say my mom's nurses were very nice and we really did not have many issues with nursing. Although her 6:30 am medicines were always found on the floor because mom throw them out when the nurse left. Obviously they just handed them to her and left or she [Removed] them out when they left. At night the nurses pretty much made sure she took them. Mom's bathroom and kitchen was cleaned very little. I would clean both floors at least twice a week and they were very dirty. I showed the nurses and they told me to tell housekeeping, nothing ever changed. This is all behind us now as our mom is in Kennedy Nursing home. I would never suggest Cardinal Village to anyone, we believed we were deceived by [Removed] more than once.

Gretchen Vakiener

We are truly sorry that your experience at Cardinal Village ended on such a negative note. Residents at Cardinal Village truly become family and we are committed to caring for them through the end of their lives. Because Cardinal Village has 24-hour nursing staff, we are often able to maintain residents safety longer than other Assisted Living communities. Our nursing staff is the best ~ literally award-winning! Unfortunately, there are situations where we feel we can’t care for someone anymore. Those decisions are based on the needs of the resident and NEVER on their payor type. It is obviously too late to address your concerns about housekeeping and her medications, but our Executive Director is always interested in getting feedback on ways that we can improve the lives of our residents. We wish your Mom the best at Kennedy.

Not a comfortable feeling

I was not very impressed with this community it was dated and dark inside and I just did not get a good feeling about it. We were here for breakfast and the fact that it is served buffet style and my mother uses a walker it would not be the best for her. This definitely would not be the place for my mom.

Gretchen Vakiener

I encourage you to make a return trip to Cardinal Village! While we are an older community, we take great pride in the cleanliness of the common areas and resident apartments. And, while we are constantly renovating and doing our best to stay ‘up to date,’ we want Cardinal Village to be a comfortable, home-like environment for seniors who aren’t used to (and often don’t like) things “brand new.” Most importantly, I encourage you to ask about Cardinal Village’s commitment to resident care. If your mom can't go through the buffet line, we are happy to serve her.

Kind Community, but Not the Right Fit for Mom

We had a decent tour of this community. We toured it for our mother, and her needs. My mother did feel it was too big of a community for her. They have many residents, and we felt the transition would be overwhelming. The painting around the community was dark, and that was not my mothers taste. Everyone was very kind to my family, and I. Unfortunately this was not the right fit for her, and her needs.

They love my dad

My 88 year old father moved into Cardinal Village one year ago. He really likes it there and has made many friends. The independent living apartments are well designed and have outdoor porches which is where he loves to spend his time listening to audio books. What makes Cardinal Village really special is its staff. They often tell me that they "love my dad" and I can see that they really mean it. His well-being and happiness is their #1 priority. They understand the struggles associated with caring for an aging parent and have made the process much more comfortable for my family. We are all very happy with Cardinal Village.

Another excellent tour. The facility was very attractive with the patios and the size of the rooms. This was a very attractive facility as well.

Decent place. [Removed] is very sweet and offered us many treats for ourselves and especially for Mom. We didn't get to meet many residents and we don't know if they like it there. Rooms with a lanai have a couple steps down, which is not good for Mom. Cost is higher than other places, but first year sale price is tempting.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for taking the time to review Cardinal Village. I’m sorry that you didn’t have an opportunity to meet many of our residents ~ they are often our biggest fans! In fact, I’d like to invite you back for lunch or dinner and we’ll have you join residents for a meal. We want your next experience to be 5-Star!

Loving Care

My Mom was in Assisted Living at Cardinal Village for the past almost 4 years. Mom was not always the easiest person to deal with but the staff, at every level, were kind and respectful to her. Mom recently passed away due to her dementia and the care she received was wonderful. As a family when I first had Mom enter there I had complete piece of mind that while I was at work I knew she was safe and taken care of. I was there every day almost in the past year and I can tell you that although Mom did not take part in many of the activities there are plenty of things to stimulate the residents on a daily basis. Again the care Mom received was exemplary in all ways.

A Special Place to Explore - Very Well Run

My uncle as been in assisted living here for two years now. The staff is exceptional, especially the nursing staff, and he's so well cared for and thriving. The food is good too and versatile, which is sometimes hard to find. Our family is grateful to the staff and their commitment to excellent care, compassion, and respect for their residents.

Stress relief thanks to Cardinal

My Mother was in Cardinal Village awhile back and I have to say prior to her going there my stress was incredible, however once I got her settled in her nice apartment with a lovely little screened in porch, almost immediately the staff there took great care of her and took a great deal of stress and worry from me. Since that time my Mother has passed, however I work in the Health Industry so I still go over to Cardinal for various functions and have gotten to know Karen Dixon the Marketing Director there, she is a lovely person who is a big help to families as well as the rest of the staff. I highly recommend Cardinal Village.

Mom is happy in her "new home"

When it came time for my sister and I to place our mom into assisted living we looked for a facility that was clean, well staffed, felt like home and had many activities. Well we struck the jack pot with Cardinal Village!! We were concerned also because Mom has dementia and our fear was that she would be left in her apartment all day. At Cardinal, the staff makes sure that Mom is involved in the activities and they provide compassion with her illness. The food is great and Mom looks and feels better now than when she lived on her own. I cannot begin to express what it means to us to know that Mom is well taken care of and she considers Cardinal Village her home. She has made friends and all the staff treats her like family. We give Cardinal a 5 star rating. We can rest easy knowing Mom is in an excellent place.

Mom's Happy Home!!

My sister and I had to make the extremely difficult decision to place our mom in assisted living. We began our search and we thought Cardinal Village was just another place on our list. We were so wrong! From our initial contact with the staff at cardinal village to our tour and ultimate placement of mom there, we felt a huge sense of relief! The facility feels like home for mom and it is more about the warmth and compassion that she is treated with than whether or not it is the"fanciest" facility. We have found it to be clean, the staff attentive, meals good and plenty of fun activities that she actually participates in! In addition ...the staff has been incredibly supportive of our family and helped get us through a very hard transition period. It has been a year now and we are 100% happy with the decision we made!! We highly recommend Cardinal Village to our friends who are also finding themselves in this difficult situation. Thanks Cardinal Village!!

It was very nice, I was well taken care of and I liked it.

It was very nice, I was well taken care of and I liked it. It was a very nice place. They kept us busy. I took advantage of the library and talked with everybody and had a good time. The food was good and there was plenty of it.

Not impressed

Compared to other locations we looked at we were not impressed with this community at all during our tour. It was dingy, didn't seem very clean, and there was a noticeable smell. It had a very clinical feel, which wasn't the atmosphere we were looking for for Mom. I believe it may have been attached to a skilled nursing facility, which may explain some of the issues we had.

Lots of activities

Compared to the other places I looked at its definitely a lot cheaper, about half the price of the other places and it's pretty nice, they're really friendly. The only thing he gets is his medications and there haven't been any issues with those. There's quite a bit of acitivites, they take them off site almost everyday, there's poker, movie nights, I think he's been to the casino a couple of times, philly night...
The first week he moved there was a little tough but then he got in the groove

rooms very nice; Mom not impressed wi...

rooms very nice; Mom not impressed with place