Canyon Creek - Cottonwood Heights, UT

Terrible Experience Keep Looking

We had a terrible experience at Canyon Creek. We tried working with them for 8 months and finally rescued our mother and put her in an excellent Memory Care unit where she receives kind, competent care and we have peace of mind.
While many of the CNA's tried, the unit was understaffed and the employees not well trained to deal with the issues of those in memory care. The turnover was especially high.
Our mother's entrance into memory care was traumatic and very poorly handled.
We had to constantly check to see if our mother received her medications, was showered, was wearing her Depends. Sometimes her needs were met. Often they were not. She was left to lie in bed most of the time. Her room was dirty, the shared bathroom disgusting and not cleaned even when requested.
The final straw was a fall with extensive bruising which was not reported. There are much better facilities. Keep looking!

Blue Harbor Sales Team

We appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention, Kristine. We're sorry to learn about what happened, but rest assured, this is not how we strive to operate. We understand your frustration and would like the opportunity to turn this experience around for you. If you're willing, please contact us directly at [removed] for help--we hope to hear from you soon.

Not enough staff and food is cold

My Mother is in the assisted living side and my Father is in the memory care unit. My mom doesn’t really like it here and said the food in the memory care unit isn’t good because there is no variety and it’s often cold. I once shipped my mom a package that was labeled for her and it ended up missing. Also, there are no phones in the memory care unit and when my mom visits my dad, I can’t get a hold of her. I also feel like they are understaffed.

Blue Harbor Sales Team

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. We do our best to ensure we're providing our residents with the best service possible, and these reviews help us ensure we're fulfilling this goal. We are disappointed to learn of your parents' experience with us, however, and would like to help make things right. Please reach out to us at your earliest convenience.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to learn of your recent experiences with us at Canyon Creek but are grateful for voicing your grievances.

Mistakes happen in which we hope to learn this and improve the situation for your loved ones and others.

We hope that we are judged by how we correct our mistakes rather than by the mistakes we have already made.

I would be happy to discuss with you further in person or phone to work together to improve this situation.

Thank you very much!

Canyon Creek, Executive Director

DO NOT GO HERE

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LEAVE YOUR LOVED ONE HERE. this place used to be great. such caring nurses and such good care. The care went downhill last fall. they updated the look of the place so it looks wonderful, but the food is awful, mix ups on meds, neglect, and more. i was promised a refund on care as my dad did not receive any. however, i keep getting billed over and over. the staff used to be wonderful, but they all walked out and they cannot keep good people there. they are way understaffed and the new ones do not know what they are doing, nor do they care.

I toured this community

It was worn out and as soon as we got there they told us that they promised to update the community. When I got to the rooms there were electric heaters in the windows. The staff was nice but this wasn't a good fit for my parents.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for your honest opinion of our community. We strive to always maintain an updated and clean facility for all of our residents and their families. Perhaps this is a different community you are referring to. We have had nothing but positive reviews from those who have been here. We wish you success in finding that right home for your loved one!

The place was nice. Rooms nice. Distance from room to to dining and activities seemed a bit far for my liking. I was also concerned about how quickly she would get assistance if needed since the facility was so large. I felt like she would need to be in much better condition and needing very little assistance to stay here.

Blue Harbor Sales Team

Thank you for your honest review. We feel that our team is our most valuable asset at Canyon Creek Senior Living and we do our best to provide top-notch service. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you again!

Great Place

Canyon Creek was a very well-kept and clean community that we toured. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. We liked all the amenities that they had to offer. We were looking for a smaller community that offered a more intimate setting.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for your time in writing this review! We certainly hope that you and your loved one are enjoying their home!

Helpful Staff!!

I had recently taken a tour of this community for my loved one and overall I was pleased with what I had seen. The property was clean and they had a lot of great amenities available to all of the residents. I liked the activity list they had as well as meal plan for everyone throughout the week. It was just not the right location in the end decision.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience with our community! We are sad that the location did not work out for you and wish you and your loved one nothing but the best!

Lots of great Activities!!

I have no complaints about how things are going for my loved one since she made the move into this community. The staff are wonderful and I am comfortable with the quality of care they are providing her. The activity program they have is amazing, they always have something going on to keep all of the residents busy throughout the week. I like that the staff are very accommodating and will bring her meals to her if she is not feeling like going down to the dinning room. Overall I am very happy and would recommend it to anyone.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! We certainly appreciate it and strive to maintain the highest standards of care and lifestyle for each resident!

Affordable and very nice!

My aunt's stay is going fairly well at Canyon Creek; it is a very good place! The staff are very attentive. Though my aunt cannot participate in too many activities at the moment, there are plenty for her to participate in. The facility was also very affordable and they were willing to work with our budget, which made it stand out to us!

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We do our best to maintain a positive and healthy lifestyle for all residents no matter what their situation is. We are here to help in bringing the best quality of life to everyone!

Happy That He Was Here

I really loved this community. While my uncle was here he was doing really good. The staff was really good at over seeing his health. They refused him soda when he asked, this helped with his sugar limits. I was really satisfied with all they do.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you very much for your feedback! We certainly try to maintain a balance of healthy living!

Highly Recommend

Great community, wonderful residents. Rooms are nice and spacious, and reasonably priced. The food looked delicious. Everyone seemed happy and welcoming. Talked to a few of the residents and they said it's a great place to live. and that they stay busy with all of the activities.

Blue Harbor Sales Team

Dear Claudia, It's so wonderful to see you had such a positive experience with us! We do our very best to provide top-notch service, so it's great to see we're living up to this goal. Sincerely, Team Canyon Creek Senior Living.

Great Place

[Removed] is the greatest at her job. She is always available to answer questions and I was very impressed with the facility. The food was delicios, and the residents all seemed very happy and welcoming. I found that the staff was very helpful, and willing to attend to the residents needs.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for your sincere review! We certainly pride ourselves in caring for each and every resident and maintaing a place they can thrive and call home.

Highly recommend

I highly recommend this facility to care for your loved ones. Great staff, fun activities. Very clean and cozy.

Misty Adinaro

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We strive to maintain the highest level of care, cleanliness and quality of life!

Highly Recommend this place

Visited this facility and attended some of their activities. They have a full schedule of activities, which I was very impressed with. The facility is very clean and the staff seemed to go out of their way to help you. The food was delicious, tasted just like restaurant food. The Outreach director did a great job on our tour, and was able to answer all my questions. I would highly recommend Canyon Creek. A Big thumbs up.

Happy Here

I'am pretty pleased with this community. Everyone is very kind and friendly. The community looks great, and very well maintained. The staff is wonderful, they are always willing to help. They have many activities available. The meals are decent, they could use some improvement in that area. Overall so far I'am doing very here.

Very Satisfied With This Community, My Sister Is Well Here

My sister is doing very well here at this community. The staff have been very good, I haven't had any problems with the staff. They do a good job of keeping the community as well as her room nice and neat. She is starting to try a few of the activities offered, she enjoys the exercise class. The meals are nice, but she feels the portions are too big. I know she is safe and being cared for well. I would recommend this community.

A Good Fit

We have chosen to go with Canyon Creek because we feel like the community there is the best fit for Myrna. There are several other residents who are a lot like Myrna and at the same stage as her and I think she will connect well with them. We liked that the rooms were in a circle so she could walk around the circle and witnessed them redirecting and helping seniors get back to there room or where they needed to be. And we just felt it was the right place for Myrna. We also liked the Bridges program that they offer.

caution

My mom lived here for for 6-7 months. The staff was mostly kind and friendly and my mom is mostly pleasant to care for. She lived in both the assisted living side and the memory care. If you want your loved one to get more immediate care and attending to, and close supervision this may not be the place for you. If your loved one is still mobile, constant falling may be a problem. Also, we were not told about labeling clothing and they have NO lost and found for unlabeled/unclaimed clothing so any unmarked clothing is redistributed. Also, we were told that "Margarita Madness" where alcohol is served probably is not the best activity for people with dementia on various medications that may have poor interactions with alcohol.

Great Team

They really work together as a team to make it nice and cozy and warm and comfortable for everyone. They really go above and beyond. Love it here

Personable, Supportive Staff, Bright Spot in Senior Living

I took my mother to Canyon Creek for a tour this week and we were so impressed. Everyone we met was so personable. Especially Megan who gave us the tour. She went above and beyond, spent time with us answering our questions, and she even gave us tips on how to make the process easier. Megan was knowledgeable and professional and kind and was a bright spot for us in this process of finding care for our mother.

Clean and Cozy

This is a nice spacious facility that offers both Assisted Living and Memory Care. The building is always clean and it is a very cozy place. The food is not that great and they need to come up with better activities to keep the residents interested, but they try.

Great place

They could improve on the food in the cafeteria. Other than that, everything is going well. The staff is always helpful and do their job very efficiently. This is a great place.

Very nice place. Excellent memory care unit! Nice Assisted Living unit. Wasn't perfect for us because there was no door between frontroom and bedroom - just an opening in the one bedroom model. Otherwise well-run, clean, and very inviting community.

Could Have Better Activities

I think the reason why they got low scores for me is they could do a better job integrating new residents into the community, like having those activities that encourage them to interact with the other residents. They could do a better job with the activities, like having some that appeal to the residents.

It Was Great

I thought the staff at Canyon Creek was really nice. It was my first time I had ever taken her there, and it was a short stay, but it was great. The location was a bit of a problem, it was rather far so I just wish they had one closer.

Great Place

I have been touring many communities in assisted living for my Dad. I must say that Canyon Creek has a welcoming and well established feel to it. The care staff really focuses on residents and I have been impressed with my time here. They have a pretty creek outside and a nice dining area I can see my Dad enjoying a lot. I will be recommending them to anyone looking.

First Impressions

My husband was looking at communities for his mother, since his work schedule was busy, I did a lot of the leg work and started touring communities. First impressions really matter to me, and Canyon Creek did a great job with that. Their building was very clean, the staff were very friendly, and the residents were very friendly too. The apartments were a good size, and the food looked good. While its not my decision where my mother in law goes, I am a very big fan of Canyon Creek and think that she would do great there.

WOW!

I came across Canyon Creek when I started looking into assisted livings for my parents. With my dad having dementia and my mom needing some care assistance, it was important that I found a place that offered both memory care and assisted living. Canyon Creek has a beautiful community, the staff was very pleasant and helpful, and the residents appeared to be happy. I believe that my parents will be very happy there, when the time comes for them to move.

Great Team

Thanks, Ivey and the team at Canyon Creek Assisted Living and Memory Care! You have a beautiful facility and we had a lot of fun at your carnival! We look forward to being part of your next event!

Thanks Again.

[removed]

I have been in many Assisted Living communities in the Salt Lake area over the years and Canyon Creek has consistently been one that stands out. Right when you walk in, it feels welcoming and friendly. It is clean, and the building layout is ‘user friendly’ for seniors. I am always very impressed with the way that the staff seems to really enjoy being there and that they all help out whenever and wherever needed to
make sure that their residents are being cared for and their needs are being met. It is in a very central location that makes it easy to get to from anywhere in the valley. Canyon Creek should definitely be at the top of your list when looking into Assisted Living or Memory Care.

Friendly Staff

When you first walk into Canyon Creek, you are greeted by very friendly receptionists and staff. The servers and the cook make food that not only looks so good, but it also tastes very good. The staff bends over backwards for the residents and there are so many fun things that you can do here. Whether we are taking a surprise scenic ride, doing exercise, going on a walking group, or enjoying our time relaxing by the creek, there is something for everyone. I thoroughly have enjoyed living here.

Reason for Living

I just wanted to take a moment and express to you my gratitude for providing such excellent care for my father. Before coming to your community at the end of August, he was declining. He seemed to have no life in him; no reason for living. Since moving to your community, he has come back to life. He is happy. His health is improving. Your staff has provided such excellent care for him and I couldn't be happier with the move.

I have had the opportunity to be in many facilities and communities around the Salt Lake Valley, and I truly believe that the care and service your staff provides to the residents is unsurpassed. The staff members are always helpful and friendly and go the extra mile to make everyone feel welcome. I sincerely appreciate everything you do for my father and for the excellent care you provide.

Impressed

I toured Canyon Creek with a friend who was looking at communities for a family member. I was very impressed with the attentiveness of the staff, and how happy the residents looked. It looks like they do fun activities, and the building was very clean.

Love the Creek

I really enjoyed touring Canyon Creek. The building has such an inviting and warm feeling. You can tell the residents are well taken care of, and the staff enjoys working there. The community has a nice smell and is very clean. The creek is absolutely beautiful and gives the building a great atmosphere. I would recommend Canyon Creek to anyone who is looking for a fantastic assisted living or memory care for a family member.

Great Place

I am a healthcare professional, and had the opportunity to tour Canyon Creek Assisted Living. I was very impressed with the staff members, as well as the cleanliness of the building. The residents appeared to be very happy with where they live. I would recommend Canyon Creek to seniors and families who are looking into assisted living communities.

Totally unexpected

Moving here was a totally unexpected surprise. Turns out Canyon Creek is above and beyond anything I could have ever expected. The staff is the cream of the crop and has been tremendous with their care. Canyon Creek exhibits what good quality assisted livings are all about.

Offer great activities!

I have been in this assisted living as both a CNA and then after many years of experience, now a health care business owner. They provide exceptional care with great activities for the residents. I would recommend this beautiful facility to everyone!

Loved it from the start

When I first moved here, I found out how friendly the people are, and I started to feel right at home from the first. I still really enjoy living here.

I have been very happy here at Canyon Creek. Everybody has been so friendly and accommodating and you can see they are trying to make the people here happy. I have enjoyed doing all the special activities. I used to be a bailiff in the Supreme Court and that made me a very sociable person, I have made many friends here.

Home

I think Canyon Creek is a very friendly place. It has everything I need for my comfort, staff are always friendly and willing to help whenever needed. I believe it is the nicest community in the Valley. I personally love to do puzzles, as it keeps my mind active.

I was involved with Intermountain Therapy Animals and took my bulldog Bruzer to Canyon Creek on activity day. The was staff was always welcoming and wonderful to the residents. I really enjoyed our visits, the building was so clean and well kept. The residents were always so happy and enjoyed their home at Canyon Creek. a great location next to the creek in Cottonwood Heights.

Just like home

The staff is wonderful and the facility is just like home....

Friendly, communicative staff

I think they do a great job at Canyon Creek! The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable, and they've always had an answer for any question I've asked them. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and they have a good variety of services and activities to provide the residents. My only complaints are that sometimes (especially on the weekend) response times to the in-room call buttons are slow, and I also believe they could improve the food service a little.

enjoy living here

In the three months I've been here, I have found the staff both managers and caregivers to be professional and responsive to my own personal needs and the needs of others. Generally speaking I find the community to be clean and well taken care of. There are a variety of activities offered throughout the day. The executive director is visible and accessible througout the week and on the weekends which is a huge compliment.

Gave me purpose

I have been very comfortable since living here at canyon creek. I have made some great friends. I was able to start a choir which has given me purpose, and made me feel welcome . The management staff have been very helpful, and the nursing staff have been very attentive and concerned about peoples care needs.

A recommended community!

Canyon Creek is impressive. The staff is very friendly, and they make me feel extremely welcome when I am there. The aides are attentive, and their staff (as a whole) provides exceptional nursing care!

Beverages, cookies, flowers, and personal resident decorations add to a cozy ambiance. Activities, and resident involvement is a must :) In fact, they have a St. Paddy's Day event today, that will boost some excitement for the day!

I haven't tried their food, but it looks yummy, and I've seen them be very accommodating to their residents needs.

I'm excited to see how their landscape looks once all the trees are green, and the creek is flowing. :)

Cared for my wife

My wife had diabetes in an advanced state. A staff member from Canyon Creek came to our home to invite us for a visit to this facility. I felt I could take care of her but I couldn't. She got the constant care she needed at Canyon Creek which I am grateful for ! I have personally lived here at Canyon Creek now for 2 yrs and am extremely happy here,

Brought us together

I really like like living at Canyon Creek, the people here are very sociable and friendly and it feel like one big happy family. My wife and I were living at Esperanto communities, and the team at Canyon Creek helped make it possible for us to live in the same place together. We are great flu for this.

Excellent Facility

Canyon Creek is Amazing! It is a very clean beautifully decorated facility. The staff is very nice and always willing to help out and answer any questions you may have. They are well connected in the community and always willing to come to surrounding senior centers to help out with games and activities! If you are ever in need of care then go tour Canyon Creek-you will not be disappointed!

Beware of the inHouse Doctor!!!

my mother was here and the in house Doctor was Extremely unprofessional!!!!! beware!! of this unprofessional Man!! Before you place your Loved one Here!!!! the Facility itself is not too bad, the rooms are nice, and the food is good,

nice place, but...

My mom never actually stayed at Canyon Creek . We had it all set up and then my mom decided like two days beforehand that she was not going to go. That being the case my experience is somewhat limited.

By the time we had signed up we had already paid both their evaluation fee and some other fees. Some of the fees I knew I would not get back, but some of it I felt I should have been refunded since she never stayed there at all, never ate the food or anything.

I really liked the place and felt like it was the right place for mom. It was very clean and a warm welcoming environment with very nice people. I just feel a little burned because of how things went.

My loved one seems happy here

Overall things have gone fairly well with Canyon Creek, although they haven't completely met my expectations. The facility itself is very nice, well kept, and clean, and the people that run it are dedicated and very nice. However, they do seem to have a problem with having a high turnover rate in their care staff, and not everyone they find seems entirely qualified. But overall they've done a good job, and my loved one seems happy.

Review of Canyon Creek Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Midvale, UT

Small with little room for walking. Decent care and personnel. In a crowded shopping/restaurant area. $3600 per month but lots of additional fees. Admin fee is 1 month rent. Not a good fit for mom in my opinion.

Canyon creek.

My mother moved to Canyon Creek but unfortunately passed away after only about a month. Because she was there such a short time we didn't have the opportunity to get the kinks worked out with her therapy or medications. She moved in and was pretty much left to figure things out on her own ( I tried to help but really didn't know who to go to with my issues). The first day there was someone that tried to learn her interests but after that she was sort of left to her own devices. I wish they had taken a more active approach to integrating her into the community.

The activities are ok, the food is ok, they assign seats during meal time-most of my moms table mates ate at odd times so she was left sitting alone frequently.

One of the driving reasons behind my moms choice to move to Canyon Creek was so that she could have her dogs. We paid extra so that the nurses would take them outside once per shift...but that didn't happen with any reliability. My mother wasn't feeling well so she wasn't asking and the staff didn't track it. Again, because she was there such a short time we never got the problems resolved.

I did find the nurses, CNA's and staff in the dining room to be very kind and thoughtful. Perhaps given more time I would feel better about the facility. Also, in all fairness we were unable to keep our "care conference" appointment because of my moms health...I feel pretty confident that most of our issues could have been resolved if we had been able to talk to everyone at one meeting.

Caring staff

After visiting many assisted living facilities, we found Canyon Creek to be the best place for our parents.
Most were clean and beautiful inside and out.
For us the staff was the deciding factor. They were so friendly and professional. We knew our parents would be in very good hands.

I was not impressed.

I was not impressed and I didn't want to go here. They said we would need memory care. When I came to look around, they showed me a beautiful gorgeous model room, and we had a beautiful luncheon, but that isn't where we would be. I wanted to see the memory care area, and where they would be eating at. The person who showed me around didn't want to show me that side. It didn't make much sense, if that's where we are going to be then I'm going to see it sooner or later, and if you don't want people to see it before they sign up, then that is a little unsettling. It definitely didn't instill any faith in the community's honesty and ability to be up front.

Didn't like the memory care...

Didn't like the memory care portion at all. The facility had more of a hospital feel to it than a home. Staff/resident ratio seemed high. Lacks the 'home' feel that we are looking for but seems adequate.

Great Place for My Mother and conveniently located.

My mother has lived at Canyon Creek for about a year and a half. I chose it over other places in the area because of the recommendation of a couple of friends, who had loved ones there. As with all these places, the food could be better, but the staff, especially Jeanette, are wonderful and always very accomodating, and try their best to meet every resident's need. There is a good doctor on call that mother really likes and the CNAs are very friendly. We have been very pleased and we really like that you can add services as you need them.

Very Dependable

I would rate everything very highly here. When we first started our research, they were right on the spot! When I made my appointment, they were there waiting for me. They were dependable right from the beginning, and seemed genuinely concerned with my needs. The food was excellent, and I can't really think of any improvements they need. Very good choice!

It has gone pretty well, we are pretty happy with it.

It has gone pretty well, we are pretty happy with it. I would give the food a four. It's clean and the staff is pretty friendly. I can't think of anything that could be improved or done better.

It is a beautiful place phy...

It is a beautiful place physically but the overwhelming smell of candles is offputting. I liked the staff but not the interaction of the supervisor with her staff.

Dads just fine thank you

It is clean but needs touch ups. Friendly for sure. they made us feel like dad will be treated like a family member. They have all the services they listed on the brochure but the activities aren't always fun for dad. They do however recognize every holiday and occation and are sweet with residents. I wish I lived closer.

Friendly Staff, Communication Could Improve

When I was there it was clean. My mom is there in Utah but I live far away. I'm going back next month to visit her again. The cost seemed average, the same as everybody else. My mother has been saying she hasn't been getting all the services she is supposed to. I have to check on that because I think she doesn't quite know what she's supposed to be getting. They have good activities and they were very friendly. They could maybe be a little easier to communicate with. We had a little bit of trouble getting a hold of somebody to talk to sometimes.

Resident Dog

It was kind of the structure of the building that we didn't like. It was a little dark and not as open. They have beautiful views and I liked it overall. They have one resident dog there. I though that was such a charming idea. Another lady who was the nurse there brought her bigger dog to work. My parents like that.

The staff were real standouts. Compa...

The staff were real standouts. Compared to other communities that we toured, the management was pretty friendly, and so was the other staff. There's a doctor on call, and they have CNA's on site as well.

The grounds and the building are very nice, and in terms of cost, Canyon Creek's comparable with the other communities we saw. From traveling to in-house entertainment to hiking to games, they're really good with activities

Very nice; don't really like the loc...

Very nice; don't really like the location right off Fort Union, noisy road.

Nice, clean, friendly, pt clean, area...

Nice, clean, friendly, pt clean, area clean, place for lockdown to go outside during nice days clean and well kept. More money than expected, no animals allowed, very far to the east side. They have a wait list with 5 people already on it.

Assisted Living
Canyon Creek provides a complete range of services that allow seniors who desire assistance with the activities of daily living to remain as independent as possible. By assisting with needs such as bathing, dressing, and medication supervision, we help our residents maintain their well being, while providing options for achieving new possibilities. Our Circle of Care program establishes an environment that combines wellness with hospitality, in a community that strongly supports our residents’ choice, dignity, privacy, and independence.

Alzheimer/Dementia
Canyon Creek’s goal is to enable residents with Alzheimer’s disease or related forms of dementia to retain abilities, physical functioning, and enjoyment of life in our comfortable surroundings for as long as possible. Our Life Series Program promotes independence, dignity, and self-esteem through a caring staff that is well trained in dementia care. This care consists of stimulating activities, a specialized building design, and attention to our resident’s needs.

Independent Living
Independent Living is designed for active seniors who desire the convenience and security of a fully staffed community, while providing access to elegant dining, diverse activities, transportation services, care-free home maintenance, and other conveniences.