The Wellington - Salt Lake City, UT

Nestled in the heart of Salt Lake City, Utah with views of the Wasatch Mountains, The Wellington provides resort style senior living in a campus setting and has a reputation for being Salt Lake’s preferred full service senior living community. The Wellington is easily accessible to local freeways, shops, restaurants, entertainment centers and the finest medical and geriatric services in the state.
Salt Lake City senior living at The Wellington is as active and carefree as you desire. You can choose from a variety of social and educational opportunities while enjoying our service enriched lifestyle. While you enjoy your gracious apartment home, our team of dedicated associates is committed to enriching your life and providing a warm, friendly environment with the finest services and amenities; and the most attentive support and care, everything to make you feel at home.

We were ready to move in

My parents had already put money down on a perfect apartment. They were set up to move and then they went and had a meal there. There were so many disabled residents. And my parents are very active, it just wasn't as crisp and clean or up to date as the others we toured. It wasn't a good fit for them.

A little pricey

My mom and I were looking for a place for her to live and we almost decided on this one. My mother was a little concerned about the cost, but we were seriously considering it. Overall, the facility was very nice. She wasn't pleased with the fact that she wouldn't be able to go into Salt Lake City, though, if she wanted to. I even brought my dog with me to scope things out and they were pretty great about it. We wound up going somewhere else, but this place wasn't bad.

Second Choice

I really liked this community a lot. It was a bigger facility and I was concerned that my mom would get overwhelmed by the size of the facility and the floor plan. She would have had to take an elevator to get to the dining area or the activities and she would have gotten lost and I was concerned that they would say she was having difficulty learning the areas and needed more assistance which possibility increased the price. The staff I met was nice and informative.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience and positive experience while touring The Wellington. We appreciate hearing that you felt welcomed and that our staff was informative as you and your mother explore her senior living options. If we can be of further help, please don't hesitate to call The Wellington.

Highly Recommended

We highly recommend the Wellington. Throughout the last 2 years, without exception, every person taking care of our mom - from the nursing staff, CNA's, housekeeping, kitchen staff and management - always go the extra mile to ensure every detail is taken care of. They are efficient, gracious and attentive. The activities and all facilities such as the kitchen, building and grounds are outstanding and well administered.
In particular, we wish to call attention to [Removed] for their personal and unparalleled involvement in every aspect of the operations and administration of the Wellington. The positive, generous and friendly culture they have created at the Wellington is clearly present and expressed by every employee.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

What a lovely thing to say. We appreciate hearing that The Wellington has so exceptionally met the needs of you mother, and that you're both enjoying the warm, inviting and friendly culture at our community. At MBK we endeavor to complete each task – large or small – with a passion for excellence. Thank you for letting us know that our experienced caring associates at The Wellington are fulfilling that mission! We're so pleased to be service to you and your mom.

This is a great place for your loved one! The staff is warm and inviting. The building is beautiful, inside and out! They also have a great activities coordinator that provides plenty of fun and engaging activities. The food is always very good! I give it an A+!!

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for giving The Wellington such high marks and high praise! We appreciate hearing you found the community, staff and activities warm, inviting and engaging. And, we'll pass your compliments about the food to our culinary staff.

The Wellington

I was very impressed with my first impression walking through the door, I was greeted with smiles and hello from staff and residents, the feeling was warm and was very positive. The building was immaculate and very well maintained. I would highly recommend the Wellington if you are looking for a caring, loving, comfortable and fun place for your loved one. They were great at answering question I had and made my overall experience amazing.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

We’re grateful to hear that The Wellington made such a great impression on you during your visit, and that your experience was nothing short of amazing! We truly appreciate your vote of confidence and referral of our community. Thank you.

This is the Place!

While having visited several sites for Mom, this one really stood out. My Mom has 5 Daughters, and 3 of us were on the "hunt". We walked into The Wellington and it felt like a hug. Very welcoming...clean (but not 'hospital sterile' feeling) and professional. To get all of us to agree on a site was a miracle in itself!

Tenants we visited with who were already there seemed very content and happy. Mom's first week there was spent having meals with peers, sharing stories and laughs. Mom is 93...and she's really brightened up since at The Wellington.

Thank you 'A Place For Mom' for assisting us with our search. Success at last!

highly recommend

We are very pleased with The Wellington. My mother is thriving. She is eating and doing things. It's been great. You walk in and it's liking walking into a gorgeous hotel. She is really enjoying the exercise classes. It has worked out really well. I would highly recommend this facility to anyone.

A Great Experience

The staff at The Wellington are all very friendly and everyone is really cordial with you. Everything they had to offer was just as it was represented to us. It has been a great experience with them so far.

Wellington is a lovely place with nice apartments. My father resided there almost two years.
If your parent(s) is healthy it is a nice facility, but once medications or assists come into play you need to watch them carefully for med administration timing and PLEASE check your loved ones Emergency Call Button as my father's hadn't been working and he said 'no one ever came' when he used it; no wonder! This is imperative in a facility where seniors are prone to falls.
My father passed mid-month and PLEASE be aware even in death you must give 30 days notice, I'd paid several thousand ($5K) for under 1/2 a month and got less than a thousand back in the form of a refund; plus they take an upfront deposit so they make a ton of money from turnover and at end of life which makes it even harder for grieving families.
The staff Are nice and work hard, but they are understaffed and under monitored. Be vigilant for your loved one, which was hard for me out-of-state so I made frequent trips.
The food is adequate; nice dining area.
If your parent(s) are relatively healthy it's a very nice facility, just make sure to stay Engaged and Read the Contract (my sister signed my dad up there so I did not know the 30 day clause; otherwise I would have moved dad to a SNF.) There is a very nice, kind new RN there named Lisa who helped at the end of dad's life and that was comforting.
It is a business, but tough on a fixed income.

Health concerns...beware!!

Our parents have been at the Wellington for over three years and most of the staff has been wonderful. In the last couple of years they got a new head nurse and she is constantly bullying us and intimidating us with threats of kicking our parents out. It has been an emotional roller coaster ride for our family. If you parents don't have any health problems it is wonderful but if they do we suggest you bring them to another facility. Which we have now done

From his 4 sons

This review is well overdue. Our father has been at the Wellington for six years now. He's had a few bumps in the road, in that time. The staff worked with him with kindness, awearness, and professional manner To bring him back towards a easier way of living.
The property is always looking great for the residence too enjoy, the walk gardens, the game room, computer room,even the library.
Dad always enjoys breakfast, and the dinners as well.
I know I can speak for my three other brothers, we want to thank the Wellington for the great care they have given our father.

So my review of the Wellington is quite mixed. It started out fantastically. The sales pitch was beautiful and they seemed to care about their residents. The place is beautiful, the staff friendly, and the residents seem cheerful. Unfortunately, my grandfather is a stubborn old man and made this as tough a transition as he could muster. However, their handling of his issues left a lot to be desired. They took away his power chair, which, to be fair, he did have a few mishaps. A secretary told me, though, that there were other residents who had gotten into far more accidents that still had their power chairs. Their manager also decided to tell me that my entire generation was disrespectful, which was a tad rude, especially as I was a potential customer, by myself, trying to find a place for my grandfather to live, and had said nothing even close to rude or disrespectful to her. They also took several weeks to get the internet and cable in his room working, and turned off the stove without telling anyone, which was fantastic on Christmas morning, when we brought food to be cooked and could not cook it. I understand that it had to be turned off, but it would be a good thing to know. We also spent the entire time hearing different answers about their pet policy. He has a german shepherd and the first people we met with said he would be able to keep her, then the next group said no. It turned into us asking everyone we came across, and most had different answers.

Finally, and potentially most importantly, they told us that in order for him to remain there, he needed to be a one person transfer, or in therapy working to become one. They started therapy last week. He's 97, with a bum knee. This week, they say it's not going to work because he's a two person transfer. I'm not sure how much progress a 97 year old can be expected to make in one week, but we had been led to believe it would be a bit longer than a week.

All-in-all, it's a nice place, but I have the impression that the reason their residents are so happy is because they're so cherry picked. It's hard to last here, and for the seemingly stupidest of reasons. Hopefully, in the future, they are a little better equipped to actually work with people who need assistance, rather than push them out the door as fast as possible.

Excellent Chef

I think their chef is excellent. They do an excellent job with the food. There isn’t quite enough parking so that could be an issue. They have a very friendly staff and the community is very clean and well kept.

Poorly maintained

We toured this place and I was not impressed. One thing I will say is that they need to get their roof replaced or replace the many, many ceiling tiles that have water stains on them. The building was not maintained. If they couldn't take care of their own facility, It made me question their ability to take care of my family member.

Disappointed

My Father-in-law recently moved in, in Aug 2013. He had a stroke and fell in his room and laid on his floor struggling to get up (as he had bad abrasions on both knees and bleeding feet when he was found.) No one from the Wellington looked in on him and he was found by his daughter at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. He was still in his bedclothes so we know he did not go to breakfast or lunch that day. There was a plant delivered to his room and was on his kitchen counter, but even the delivery person didn't see he was on his bedroom floor unable to get up. He was very dehydrated when we took him to the hospital to make sure he hadn't broken any bones. He was transferred from the hospital to a hospice center and will probably pass away in a day or two. Our family is very disappointed in the Wellington.

Good Food, Lively Residents

They've had some problems with the billing. That has been sort of mixed up and confusing and my mom hasn't been real pleased with them becuase they direct clients to their doctors. I don't know if there is any financial incentive for them to do that. Maybe their just trying to be helpful.

The really like the food and the gym. It was the only place that we looked at that had a work out room. My parents have gone to some of the lectures and shopping trips and things like that.

The thing that made my mom choose The Wellington was the other residents. She though they were perkier, brighter and move involved people. The Wellington was willing to work them on the price too.

Beautiful but the value is not quite there

It's fairly clean and the staff is fairly friendly. So far it's been expensive for what we've gotten because she had to go to the hospital and skilled nursing and we were still paying The Wellington the whole time. We chose it because it's beautiful.

Closer to a Nursing Home

It looked kind of nice but it was more of a lock down. You had to check in and out. It was like one step closer to a nursing home and it was more expensive that the community we ended up chosing.

Robin Craig

Patsy
Thank you for taking the time to review our community and the high scores you provided. Resident safety and security is one of our top priorities at The Wellington. We request that visitors sign in and out of our front desk for security reasons. We have "key cards" for residents to enter and exit our community as they wish so they can maintain their active lifestyle. We strive to be the senior living provider of choice and to exceed the expectations of those we serve. Please feel free to contact us if we can support your future senior living requirements.
Best, Karen Moore - Executive Director

Have visited once. Parents said room...

Have visited once. Parents said rooms felt small.