Cottonwood Creek - Salt Lake City, UT

At Cottonwood Creek, we believe no two people are alike; we understand that the services each senior requires are never exactly the same. We call this our resident-centered approach to living. It begins with the senior and his or her needs. It results in choices - choices about day-to-day living, service and care options. In this way, we help maintain the independence and dignity of our residents and provide the best possible lifestyle and service options.

Within our community you'll find staff and residents in love with what they do. Our staff is dedicated to providing quality service to residents and families, while residents enjoy the amenities and activities provided.

Suitable Place for our Aunt

We have been very pleased with the care that our aunt has received at Cottonwood Creek. When there have been issues the administration have addressed them quickly and resolved them to our satisfaction. The facility is old but well maintained. Austin the maintenance Assistant is exceptional at his job. He is available when you need him. He helped us move our aunt from one room to another. He has helped us with smaller issues in her room as well. Cottonwood Creek is lucky to have him. It's nice to see a person take his job seriously.The staff seems genuinely concerned about the residents, and our aunt loves it there. The CNA's are overworked and underpaid and this impacts the residents as there seems to be a constant turnover. We are aware that this problem is prevalent in other facilities. All in all Cottonwood Creek is a suitable place for our relative.

Meh

Most of the staff respect the residents, but a few staffers are prima donas who think it's their inalienable right to be obnoxious and pushy.

In my search for the ideal assisted living residence to spend my time remaining, this was my first and only choice for four primary reasons: openness and light, resort vacation style atmosphere, cleanliness and exercise room.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

How wonderful to hear! We appreciate hearing how inviting, clean and well-equipped the community is to you. More so, we’re grateful that Cottonwood Creek has so exceptionally met the your needs -- and was your only choice!. It is our pursuit as a senior living provider, to be the top choice in each of the markets we serve. Thank you for choosing Cottonwood Creek; we truly look forward to serving you!

Extremely friendly staff!!

The staff at this community are extremely friendly ,they have done everything to make sure my loved feels safe and her needs are being satisfied. The only thing i can suggest is that they have more of a variety in the menu that they offer to there residents.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

We appreciate hearing that our dedicated associates provided you and your loved ones with such a wonderful experience. We're pleased to hear they feel safe and their needs are being met. Thank you for your kind words about Cottonwood Creek, we’re happy to be of service.

The right one for us!!!

Mom had a great respite stay at Cottonwood. The staff treated her nicely. The food was good and they keep the community clean. They allow pets and I would recommend this community. This community is in a little more private location than others we looked at.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for your nice words about Cottonwood Creek. We appreciate hearing that our dedicated associates provided your Mom a great respite stay. We're happy to be of service.

Taking good care of our dad

My dad has been at Cottonwood creek for over four years. He's had a number of issues as he's aged and they have addressed them well. The staff takes his jokes in stride and they all joke back with him. Their care has been appreciated. The cost is affordable for him - the rooms are nice. The staff has been great with him.

Concerned

My mother is being mistreated by a staff member at Cottonwood Creek. He has been wanting my mother out of the facility for 1 year now. He has no right treat a senior with anger or meanness. We love our mother and know she is sad and unhappy about her current situation (sick), but she will be treated good. My mother is Colleen [removed] she is currently in heart failure and cannot get around. She has asked the aids to get her a bag of ice for her cup. She has been told by Barry "you can't get Colleen ice". Why are your staff bringing their personal feelings to work? She needs help! We can't be with her always to make sure she is being treated good. This is abuse and we would appreciate it taken care of.

Things are going well here

Things are going well here. The staff is great, the facility is clean and all in all so far so good. The other residents here are really nice too.

A lot of problems

We had a lot of problems here. The food was a nightmare. The overnight care was terrible. I don't feel like they really did anything well. I moved my Mother out of this facility because it was just bad.

They were excellent

Cottonwood Creek was great. They were excellent. My brother was pain and they were really patient, kind, and considerate. They took care of him until he went into hospice. This facility was more like a community than anything. I have no complaints. I was very pleased with this facility.

really tried to accommodate dads needs

At Cottonwood Creek they really tried to accommodate dads needs. Dad wasn't super excited about being there and they really tried to work with them. Unfortunately dad wouldn't comply with them and now he is in a nursing home. Overall I was pleased with this facility.

The people at Cottonwood Creek have been the most helpful and encouraging staff. They are all truly, truly wonderful people and they all want what is best for my mom. The staff members all very genuine.

It's a nice place, but they need a little help in the kitchen.

They need a little help in the kitchen, I don't know who decides the menu, but they don't seem to have any idea how we grew up and what we eat. It's a very nice place, it's been here a long time. The staff is pretty friendly. Other than the food they do a good job.

My father was only in the Facility for a few days before he passed away, but in that brief time our family was so pleased with the care that was given to him and to our family. The staff and caregivers and administrators were very helpful and watchful and kind during what was a very difficult time for us.

Visited this facility

This is a very nice facility with friendly staff.

Wonderful, caring staff

Great place to put your parents or grandparents

We moved my parents to Cottonwood Creek several years ago. Initially, it was a difficult transition going from a large home to apartment living. However, the staff at Cottonwood Creek made them feel at home and it was a great experience for them. My mother passed away in July of 2014 and the staff was extremely kind and thoughtful. They took special care of my dad during his hardest time especially after moving him into the AL2 section. The CNA's in the AL2 section take great care of my sweet dad and I am grateful for their kindness and extra care they provide to him. I would recommend Cottonwood Creek as a great place to live.

All Facilities have their Strengths and Limitations

Cottonwood Creek is a pleasant facility. Bright and newly remodeled areas. The hands on staff is very kind and know many resident's by name. The receptionists are extremely nice to lukewarm which I find important as this is the one person you always see when you visit. The food is a problem and the kitchen is extremely slow. The serving staff is very kind and patient and appears to care about the residents. I must say that it appears that changes are happening in the dining area to better serve the residents. The food is not always great, sometimes it is just how it is presented on the plate that turns the appetite.
I want this place to be so much better it has huge potential but what they tell you at the initial visit, the little details that sell you on the facility fall short. The orientation of the family and the resident just did not happen. The invitation to activities and the activity staff meeting with the resident and inviting them for awhile did not happen. The medication details and nursing issues took some time to get organized. The visit by a resident counsel and making sure someone ate with the resident the first couple of weeks did not happen. However, there are some wonderful residents and they do notice if someone is new. The follow through from what administration promised was just bumpy.
The cost is competitive. And I think Cottonwood Creek wants to be a 5 five star facility and cares about the residents. It is difficult to care for the residents and meet all the family demands. I do hope continued improvements will take place.

not good!!

I had my mother here for 2 years and I found this place to be extremely dirty and the staff to be unprofessional and the food horrible!!

Not bad at all

Cottonwood Creek is a half-decent place, not bad at all. There's nothing particularly impressive about it, but they keep it clean and they're very reliable when it comes to the medication services. They provide 3 meals a day (whether you like the food is a different story). The rooms are a decent size, and the price is around 2500 a month.

Looked like a nice place!

I toured this facility when I was looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this place looked very nice overall, and I'm sure it would have satisfied our care needs just fine! The facility itself was nice looking, and the staff all seemed very friendly. We ended up selecting a different facility that was a little closer to home, but this place is definitely worth a look if you are searching for senior care in the area!

Great Price, Great Place!

So far, I am very satisfied with Cottonwood Creek! The value is great! I looked at other places, and this place is a good $1,000 less than the others, and you get a great value! The main reason we chose them was because they offer 4 levels of care -- from Independent Living all the way to Advanced Memory Care. They have a lot of diversity among the residents, so since my loved one is still relatively young, he feels comfortable and loves the family atmosphere!

Some major issues to work on

There are a few issues that really have soured our experience as a whole. The first is that while the dining service was one of their big selling points when we toured I have not been impressed at all by it. The service is VERY slow, it can be over an hour from ordering until the food arrives. And when it does arrive it is often either lukewarm or cold.
The second major issue is that I have to constantly stay on top of them to make sure his trash is emptied. If I remind them they'll do it on the spot, but sometimes I'll come in and see days worth of soiled diapers that haven't been emptied.
It's unfortunate that they have these issues, as the employees here are some of the nicest and friendliest people I've met. They know the residents by name and seem to really care about them.

Cottonwood Creek Week 1

it was a rough first week. The biggest problem being the food service. Slow, inedible, horrible. They have brought in someone from corporate to handle, so we'll see.

Also some issues with the night aides being a little rude and unempathetic. Considering you pay for extended care, it shouldn' t seem like a burden on the resident to request assistance.

Overall, the facility is lovely but the staff has alot to prove.

Some communication issues but best priced

Generally the staff are very attentive and they have good activities, they don't have the widest variety of things to eat but it's usually reasonable. We really like the fact that it was the least expensive that we could find for what we needed. The nursing care is decent, she's only on the medication management place and basically that's what she sees the nursing staff for, to reasses and to get a consult.
The only thing really is that for whatever reason and its not negative, it could be the pressures of the job, but the executive team just does not monitor or make sure things get done it does not always communicate well. They had done remodling but they didn't do the heating right so when it got cold they had to make do with space heaters and that would have been okay for a few days but that went on for weeks.
She likes it a lot because she found herself a 90 year old Jewish boyfriend but I think she would be happy there even if it wasn't for him.

Robin Craig

Thank you for your positive rating and sincere review. It is our pleasure to serve you and your mom. We always strive to exceed the quality, service and care expectations of our residents and families. As we discussed recently, we apologize for your challenging experience and look forward to maintaining ongoing, collaborative communication with you, your mom and other family members. Thanks so much and talk with you soon. Kind regards, Dominique Meier Executive Director

Short but Sweet

Everyone at Cottonwood Creek was fantastic. My MIL only got to live there just over a week because she ended up needing a skilled nursing facility. But, she very much enjoyed the time she did live there and loved her apartment.

Restaurant Style Dining

The price of Cottonwood Creek seems to be right on par with the other comparable communities in the area. Currently there is an odor of urine in the hallway but they are working on it. Our loved one is really having fun here they have lots of activities. It just seems like they were the right fit for our loved one. The landscaping is good and the community is very beautiful when you first walk in. They have fresh flowers in the lobby. The food looks really good it has a beautiful presentation. The food taste a little bland but I think that is because they have to cater to elderly. They do have a great salad bar for lunch and dinner. The dining area is setup like a restaurant they have a wait staff. The staff here is super friendly and we have nothing but positive experience with the people here. They bend over backwards to help and care for the residents.

We loved the set up of the ...

We loved the set up of the rooms, the windows and balconies. I liked that they displayed the food choices for the meals. Everyone seemed very nice. The rooms were clean and spacious. The whole center seemed clean. I liked all the different activity rooms and the activities listed in various locations. I loved the emergency pull stations in the bathrooms and bedrooms and the pendant that pages to a nurse. I didn't like that the doors are locked from the outside at 7:30p.m. and if you leave you have to ring the doorbell to get back in. If mom wanders we will have to move her from this location.