Camellia at Deerwood - Jacksonville, FL

check it out. You'll love it.

My apartment is very comfortable, the food is great
and the staff is wonderful. They all are very friendly
and caring. I figure myself very lucky to find new friends
and very busy with things I enjoy doing.

meets most of our parent's expectations. Staff is especially helpful, room size is generous, and location is convenient. One potential issue is providing gluten free meal selections. After a meeting with the Executive chef we were back in our comfort zone.

I am so frustrated with their phone service. Continual phone issues where I cannot get in contact with my in laws or the front desk! They are going to have a BIG problem if they do t get this resolved. Not safe for the residents!

Nice place. Good location for us. Apartments are spacious and price is good. Community seems lively.

Elegant. Another property. It's on the running for me!

Has been a good move

This is really a very nice community and my dad is settling in, he has a very nice two bedroom/bath so his furiture looks very nice, and he has made the 2nd bedroom his office. I am starting to see some changes in my dad since his move here that is nice, he does get down to the dining room for his meals and has started visiting with some of the other residents. He is not much of activities person but there is a nice variety for the residents should they want to join in. My dad likes going down to the movies that they show every nite too. I am glad my dad is here.

A beautiful community for care

We toured this community and we felt like it would be a great community. The staff was wonderful. The community was clean and beautiful. They have an outstanding list of activities. This would have been a great place for her, but they did not have the assistance that we needed at night. Families would be happy with the care of this community.

It Was A Great Tour

They were a nice community but we did not get a connecting feeling when visiting. They were professional and gave us more than enough information to make the right choice. They did great.

Very clean, well kept facility with friendly and knowledgeable staff. The residents seem happy & healthy. Definitely, would consider this facility for my parents care.

Nice Community!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community for myself. All of the staff where very friendly and made sure to give me lots of great information about there community. They had a nice floor plan that was easy to navigate through as well as friendly residents. It was just not in my budget to live at this place.

Very impressed with Camellia

Camellia overall is very impressive in all aspects. One thing they should take into consideration is my mother has very low vision. They should have something on her file indicating that because there have been times she wants to order dinner for example and they tell her to look at her menu. It's tiresome explaining her abilities to multiple people. I think they should be more sensitive to her inability to see very well. I don't think this goes just for Camellia but other communities as well.

Comfort and beauty

I toured this community This is a beautiful community. The meals are restaurant style and a lot of great choices. There have two different nice areas. The community is very clean in every way. They do have a special area that is secured. They have tours out of the community. They take trips to the beach as well.

We love it!

We have been very happy with the staff. They are really great with mom. Mom has adjusted well to the community. I like that they offer a lot of activities for the residents to do. Mom likes the food.

Megan McDaniel

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we are doing, it is wonderful to hear that your mom adjusted well to living at Camellia at Deerwood. All of our team puts forward special effort in making the transition as seamless as possible. Our ambassador program allows new residents to learn about living here firsthand from current residents and all of our department heads visit the new resident shortly after moving in. We have also seen outstanding success with the monthly New Resident Mixer. I am very pleased that your family chose your mom’s home to be Camellia at Deerwood.

Decent Tour

I had a decent tour of this community. For the most part everything went well. The community looked nice. The staff I came across was nice. There were many factors that played into where to place my parents, and this was not the community for us.

I'd like to live here!

Although we only had a short time, our entire experience with Camellia was outstanding. Carla was professional, caring, and helpful on the inbound process. Brian in facilities help us out with a speedbump at move in. All the memory care staff were flexible and tried many things making mom welcome and in adjusting to significant change. Doctor Cantrell worked well with us.
And Perry was responsive and timely in working the accounts.
The facility, staff, and events are top notch. Food is great. I only wish we had more time to enjoy the love and support.
Bless you.

They Gave Me Useful Information

This was not our ideal community based on their price and location. When I spoke with them over the phone I got the information I needed and more. They directed me to useful resources and informed me about the benefits. They were friendly the whole time and even followed up with me to see if I made a choice.

Need the big house!

The lady was super nice over here. I just felt that the
grounds were very small and kind of tight. The people there were nice and there were residents out and doing things. It did feel newer, cleaner and hipper, but we really wanted a bigger community for mom.

Camelia

Great place to live!!

Beautiful facility, very good food. We had a misunderstanding as to what transportation is provided. My mother feels "trapped" in her own words as in her home she was able to get around to places much more easily (and cheaply!)

Chelsia Hart

Thank you for the feedback, we work diligently to meet all resident’s needs. Our transportation department consists of two shuttle vans and a luxury Cadillac. The schedule that we keep seems to meet most resident’s needs for shopping, medical appointments, banking and other errands as well as excursions to fun, local destinations. I would love the opportunity to review this with you and your mother in order to meet her needs and to demonstrate our service flexibility.

a nice place to live

A very nice Facility , with a pleasant and professional Staff. All the residents we met went out of their way to tell us how much they enjoyed it there.

Chelsia Hart

Thank you for visiting Camellia at Deerwood! Our residents make this such a wonderful place to live and work. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions.

A terrible community!!!

The management was terrible at Camellia. The staff was so bad I had to bring in 24 hour caregivers. The food was not eatable. They had to move my husband out of his room because they found mold. They also did not keep the community very clean and there were issues with bugs. I would not recommend this community.

Chelsia Hart

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear about your experience but we have not had similar complaints. If we do have an internal complaint, we investigate it and then do everything possible to correct it if we find a problem. Our commitment to residents is the highest level of service, food and management. We welcome discussing your experience in-person or over the phone. Please feel free to reach out to us at: [removed].
Perry Brown, General Manager

Our tour of this community was okay. I wasn't very impressed with this community. The rent was higher here than the other place we were looking at. The apartment was smaller than we would like. The building looks like an institution, which we didn't like. It didn't really have a homey feel to it. The parking was bad and you had to walk far to get to the building. This just wasn't the community for us.

we were thinking that this may not be a good fit

New Home

Mom moves in next week and is looking forward to meeting new people and all the activities offered. I'm sure she'll be very happy.

Newer, high rise, well appointed building. Each floor is painted a different color which is a great idea to help residents locate their floor. Staff was polite and friendly but a bit aloof and we did not see as many staff members as other facilities. Seems to cater to a more upscale client base. Location is in a great area in Jacksonville. Apartment model we viewed was fairly small.

Friendly staff, good food

Overall our experience with Camellia at Deerwood has been a positive one. It's a nice looking place, the people are friendly, and I think it has a layout that works better than many of the other communities I toured. The residents and staff are friendly, and they have a good variety of activities as well as an excellent activities program. They even have live music a few times a week! I also think they do a good job with the food, it impressed me in comparison with some of the other places we saw.

Like the previous few reviews mentioned, they do still have an issue with Legionnaire's Disease bacteria in the water system.

Review of Camellia at Deerwood - Jacksonville, FL

The new owner of this company seems overwhelmed in her duties and extremely rude to potential employees. \r\nThis is not the type of woman I would want talking care of my loved ones.

Not what it is sold as

Food service has not improved in the 15 months my mother has been there.

Legionnaire's disease outbreak has not been controlled for over a year.

Significant management leadership challenges

Food service problems and legionnaires still there

Lovely place.

Management has not been able to fix food service issues that have persisted over a year. Recent problems point out security issues with a rash of thefts.

Company has not fixed Legionnaire outbreak based on frequent changing of shower heads and resident requirement to run water.

My mother lived at Cameilla and got very sick with pnemonia due to the outbreak of legionnaires disease. The community is beautiful and was very pleased the cost was much lower than other facilities I had looked into; however, my mother's health was the main reason I moved her there. Camiella got her sick and they are not able to provide the care i was hoping for. Sometimes when you think a deal is too good to be true it normally is. Safe yourself some trouble and find another place. I am having to pay more now but i am finally assured she is getting the care she needs in a healthy enviroment.

Nice place overall, limited scope of care

Although Camellia at Deerwood is only able to provide a very limited scope of care they do an excellent job with what they DO provide. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are friendly, and the assistance they provide to the residents is good. However they are not equipped to handle any sort of high level care, and they cannot provide medication on an as-needed basis (they provide daily medications or nothing at all).

Staff is very friendly and so are most of the people. However, the food and service is horrible!!! Have waited up to one hour for server to take order then it comes just warm and dried out. The veggies are over cooked - just mush. The dirty dishes from previous dinners are left on the table - no bus boys or anyone to help clear. They are getting more people every week but the service is not being provided to meet the needs. The dining room manager is no where to be seen in the evening. Servers disappear into the kitchen for 20 to 30 minutes, come out with maybe one or two dinner plates. This is something that needs attention soon.

I also have forgot to push the "morning" button but never hear from anyone. This has been for several months.

not enough dining room servers. I've waited 30- 45min to get waited on; particularly @ breakfast and dinner. Creative overlapping shifts would help.

I rarely push my "alarm" in the morning and no one calls me or comes up to see me. i.e. the nursing dept is not doing a good job.

Need more handicap parking spaces.

Mom actually wants to move here ASAP. Spotlessly clean and professional. Carla, our sales advisor, was very detailed, attentive, and interested in what Mom really wanted.

My Mother really likes it. She enjoys the food and activities. They also have a variety of activities. I would highly recommend this community to anyone who is looking for assisted living. We are pleased with the decision that we made on choosing Camellia at Deerwood. I'm glad that my mother enjoys living here. It is also very clean and a friendly environment. My overall rating of this community is 5 stars!

Cheerful Community

My husband's parents have been living at Camellia at Deerwood for nearly a month. They enjoy it very much. Their apartment is cheerful. The staff is friendly and efficient. We opted for assisted living with medication management. Now they eat three good meals a day and receive their medicines at the proper times. The other residents have made them feel welcome and included. There are so many activities they have not had a chance to try them all yet. The facility is beautiful and well maintained.

Above And Beyond Care

I think they need to do some pressure washing on the outside patio and walkways . One of the things that is just awesome is that make it a point to take my father to volunteer at a hospital they take him and bring him back that is above and beyond.

Love Camellia

So pleased with care and positive attitude of staff.

Hospitality model. Luxurious for independent living. Similar to Horizon Bay in that they people requiring nursing care will not be able to stay. Has a Memory Care unit, but again, cannot offer nursing services.

Very nice place! Having some dining service issues currently

Other than a few issues which have popped up recently things have been great overall! My parents absolutely love it here, they really enjoy how busy and active the community is! There are so many activities sometimes they leave their apartment in the morning and don't return until the evening. They say it is like a cruise ship! However, they have recently had a lot of turnover in their kitchen staff, and both the quality of the food and the dining service have suffered for it. I'm hoping the decline in dining quality is temporary, because otherwise this place is great!

Olivia Drury

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your parent’s experience at Camellia. It makes me proud to know that they are staying active as a result of all of the activities. I know the team at the community work really hard at making experiences memorable. It means a lot that you've noticed. As for the restaurant and dining, I can’t disagree. We did turn over some staff and it did set us back a little. The problem has been resolved and now it is just a matter of making sure that the staff is fully trained and that we offer an exceptional dining experience. Food and a person’s personal experience is so important and this is a top priority for us! Thanks again for the great review!

Very pleased!

The move-in was smooth and easy. The staff is wonderful! The community is very clean and friendly. My husband is in the memory care unit which is new and there are only three residents so far. Because of that activities are limited but we hop e that will change soon. The staff does a great job of trying to keep him involved and busy, but he would do much better if there were more people with which he could socialize.

Review of Camellia at Deerwood Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Jacksonville, FL

Wonderful staff and community. Beautiful setting. There was a real feeling of 'community'.

My Mom was very happy at Camellia! S...

My Mom was very happy at Camellia! She loved the people that took such loving care of her. I would recommend Camellia to anyone! I'd love to live there, myself!

Food Service

My mother just moved in. I had a couple of meals with her there and waited over an hour to be served anything. My mother has walked out two of the last three mornings for lack of service. The problems discussed by previous reviewers still exist. If you pay for two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) and they cannot serve you then how do you get refund or credit for services not rendered?

In addition, after putting down a deposit late last year on a unit, we were not told about the legionella outbreak until we moved in. Common courtesy would dictate that

The facility is lovely. Someone needs to exert some leadership to fix.

Serious health issue

Per the June 4th letter to occupants, this facility still has the Legionnaires bacteria in their system. Are they disclosing this to prospective tenants? I think not. Legionnaires Pneumonia is dangerous, especially for the elderly.

Traci Kuster

Camellia at Deerwood has worked with the Florida Department of Health to mitigate the situation, which has been complete. If you have any questions, please call General Manager Perry Brown at [removed].

Thank Goodness For Camelia!

Camelia of Deerwood is a God-send! It has allowed my loved one to live happily "independent" while being safely supervised and engaged socially. The assisted living staff offer medication reminders and supervision. They check in multiple times daily assuring safety and wellbeing.

My loved one enjoys their games, activities, outings and nightly films.

The dining room reminds me of a private club, where the servers know each person's name and food preferences. The food is carefully prepared and delicious. I enjoy stopping by to share a meal.

Very disappointed.

My vibrant Mother moved into Camellia in December 2013. The facility is lovely and the activities are many. However, the food and food service are terrible. At 89 she cannot sit for 2-3 hours for food to be delivered to the table. The vegetables are cooked beyond recognition and everything is heavily covered with sauces. The dining room management requires serious attention. With many residents moving in weekly, they have failed to staff adequately or train properly. The work on the memory unit and long promised swimming pool have dragged on for months. The answer when questioning the drop off of services to residents is "we are busy with the 'important' issues." They have been battling legionaires bacteria in the water system for almost two months. It still exists. This was caused, I believe, by trying to scrimp on hot water and allowing the bacteria to grow in the plumbing system. A number of residents, including my Mother, have been hospitalized with pneumonia. We would not make this selection again.

Olivia Drury

My sincere apologies for the experience your mother has had recently at Camellia. In short, I would welcome an opportunity to discuss her experiences with you. I assure you we have every desire to operate our business with integrity, transparency and safely. I am hopeful that if we spoke, you would see that I am sincere in my offer to do the right thing and to take excellent care of our residents. Please contact me at [removed] if you would like to discuss your concerns. Thank you. Michael Sturm - Operations Director.

My mother moved into Camelia in Decem...

My mother moved into Camelia in December 2013. The facility is beautiful and the aparitments are very nice and they offer many activities and are building a beautiful pool. HOWEVER.... They are suffering from major growing pains. They are short staffed for everything. There is a 1+ hour wait for meals. There is 1 bus that can only transport 12 residents at one time to an outing. And there has been construction for a memory unit for 3+ months. The noise and banging is unbearable. Had this been disclosed we never would have moved my mother in.

Dear Ms. Sherman,
Thank you for taking the time to post. Your experience is important to me and I am sorry that we have not met your expectations. We strive every day to provide exceptional customer service so when we fall short, I want to address it promptly. I think your assessment of growing pains is accurate. We recently had a lot of people move into our beautiful community, which, as you can imagine has put pressure on the staff to perform. This is not an excuse, but a reality that we are working to promptly solve. We are actively recruiting servers and have an excellent training program to get people up and running quickly. It’s a great opportunity for a high school student or early college student who is looking to learn the foundation of skills necessary at any job or career in life. And on top of it, they get to make a difference in the lives of seniors. We know this is a short lived challenge.
My apologies for the noise associated with the memory care renovation and if you were not informed about it in advance. The first few weeks of the project were the noisiest and the brunt of noise should be over now. We are on schedule to complete this project by mid-June. Our desire is to provide an upscale lifestyle option to seniors suffering with memory loss and peace of mind to their loved ones. I know this does not make it easier to endure the situation each day. However, I hope you can see the benefit of having this option for people.
I would welcome the opportunity speak with you. Please feel free to contact me at [removed].
Sincerely,
Michael Sturm | Operations Director

4 story facility with no AL...

4 story facility with no ALF units on first floor. Mom would not be able to navigate the halls and elevator.

Apartment is more spacious ...

Apartment is more spacious than any I have seen. Grounds small. They have an inground pool which caused me some concern as people that need assisted living usually have some gait problems as well as balance problems,and they are opening a memory care unit, when asked they stated that there was no plan for a lifeguard. They do not have an RN on premises 24x7, just the day shift. We noted food scraps on the floor in the dining room and when we mentioned it, it was not addressed to our satisfation sort of ignored perhaps 'sorry that this has happened we will correct this issue' would have helped. The facility was clean everwhere else we saw. When queried if Mom needed help changing a battery in a remote due to arthritis in her hands we were told yes for a $10.00 fee or perhaps a change in the level of care. They have a great deal of activities planned, perhaps a daily schedule would be more helpful to the residents the complete month is a bit overwhelming to seniors. They do offer rooms to family visiting from out of state at $85.00 a night with breakfast. If you have a meal with your family member they charge for it with dinner at $15.00 Worth considering if they correct the concerns that I have. Pet friendly, friendly staff Welcoming to family participation.

Visited 3/4. Some potential...

Visited 3/4. Some potential if mom wants 'Hotel' format. Truly at top of range for monthly expense. No Buy in but no 'contract for care' security.

When I was looking for a senior citiz...

When I was looking for a senior citizen community I was mainly looking for a place that had good security, lots of activities, friendliness from both the residents and staff. I can honestly say that after living at Camellia at Deerwood for almost 2 months , they have more than filled my expectations of good living.
A very satisfied resident

Camelia seemed to be the best choice ...

Camelia seemed to be the best choice for me. Its nearer to my son and as affordable as any I was able to find. They have a lot to offer.

We have nothing but wonderful things to say.

We have nothing but wonderful things to say. It's a very nice group of people over there, they are very attentive to her, the people that live there seem to be very friendly and embracing of her, the food is good and the facility is brand new, so we are all in, we're very happy. I can't think of anywhere that they can improve I think they do everything extremely well. This one offered us the best value, certainly not the least expensive that we looked at, but the overall best value for our money. The newness of the facility, the cleanliness of the facility, the airiness of the rooms, the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the food all gave us the sense that it was the best bang for our dollar. Vis-a-vis anything that was lower in price or not paying for things my mother wasn't going use.

Very Active, and Not a Good Value

This is really for active seniors who are trying to pare down, for people that want to be out doing things all day. When we toured, the woman said that about 75% of residents were on a cruise! They only serve breakfast and dinner, and no lunch. Definitely more of an independent living for seniors who are still fully healthy, with no care at all. To me, it was very expensive for what you got. Most expensive by $1000 and you got two meals, and no laundry. Movie night is $5/person. It seemed like they would nickel and dime you. The facility was a beautiful, brand new facility, sparkling clean, but you are paying a ridiculous amount for it, and it's not a good value for your money. Maybe for someone who is well off, and needs a place to leave a few things and travel the world. They assisted living isn't open yet, but will be open in January.

Brand New

There really aren't care services in the accommodations that we have. I really like the fact that they support the residents with transportation services. They could improve on the dining experience in that it takes a long long time to be waited on. It is brand new and beautiful, not spacious but adequate.

Nice Place

We like the place, we haven't really moved all of our stuff in yet. It is very nice. They are a good size.

Old and Outdated

My dad visited when he was thinking about moving, and he thought that it was old and outdated. Everything was a little off; it was just old. He had a meal and he said that the food was good, but he didn't see any activities going on.

Good Set -Up

I liked how it was set up. It was very new and nice. We toured on the weekend, and there were no activities going on. Initially my dad put money down and had planned to move in, but he would have had to walk and park too far away from his apartment. They have changed hands a couple times now and are not in a good finanicial situation so it may have been a good thing that we didn't go there.

Possiblity for the Future

That's one I would consider for the future if something were to happen to granddaddy. Grandmommy requires a lot less support so I think this is more the clientele she would like. They have more transportation and I think it would be more fun for her.

We visited this morning, Be...

We visited this morning, Bethany and everyone there were Great, friendly, informative, helpful!! This place outshines the rest that we have seen! Definetly on top of list!

When you visit our retirement community in the heart of Jacksonville, you’ll notice something unexpected the minute you walk through the doors. You can see, hear, and feel the energy and vibrancy of our community. The lobby is bustling, people are laughing, and friends are chatting. Some are planning outings to the Jacksonville Golf & Country Club or St. Augustine, while others are gathered in the bistro drinking their morning coffee. Camellia at Deerwood feels like an active community because it is an active community.

Our philosophy of white glove, five-star service translates into an experience that feels more like a vacation at your favorite resort rather than a typical retirement community. The atmosphere is warm, friendly, and inviting—whatever our residents need, our helpful staff is ready to deliver.

At Camellia at Deerwood, we don’t just care for people—we care about people, and want to help our residents live the retirement of their dreams. Ready to hit the greens and perfect your golf swing? No problem. How about a European cruise? We’ll plan it end to end. Karaoke after dinner sound fun? Standard play. Gourmet meals for the most discerning foodie? Our chef’s are award-winning. Whatever you want to do, whatever your passions are, we can help bring them to life in this next phase of life.

At Camellia at Deerwood, the retirement of your dreams is there for the taking. All you have to do is make yourself at home.

Camellia at Deerwood offers independent living, assisted living and memory care services.