Brookdale Southside - Jacksonville, FL

Brookdale Southside - Jacksonville, FL has yet not published prices.

We really liked this facility. It will definitely be one to show our Aunt. We were early, so sat in the lobby for a while, and observed. This is really a good thing to do, as you get a feel for the atmosphere. We like the way the facility is maintained and the supportive, nurturing manner of the employees as they dealt with the residents.

Mom's Home

My Mother has lived here for two years now. Enjoys the community and all of it's staff. No matter what is asked they provide prompt attention. I do feel that they need to focus a lot of attention to the restaurant. That is the only thing she is complaining about and it is every week. I know that they are trying but that is important to elderly residents. Hopefully the problem will be solved soon. I do continue to highly recommend to everyone.

Great place to live except.....

Beautiful clean facility. Most staff is very friendly and helpful.

The restaurant is struggling to keep up with the demand from the clients. Food is excellent but they have a severe shortage of servers to wait on the people and deliver food. It takes 2 hours to eat any meal. If you order it to be delivered it's cold. The management is seriously trying to correct the problem but claim they can't find new employees to hire.

Overall I'm happy at the facility and continue to recommend it.

A+! Active, alive, friendly

I liked the tour

I liked the tour that I got here, the staff did a great job showing me around and I thought the community was very nice. My concern was that my father was coming from an independent living Brookdale and the management was an issue and I did not think dad would be happy here.

Options for care

We toured this community. We had used the service for a few days. We did not like that he had a injury from this community that we did not like. We did get good care from the staff. We did like menu. They do have activies for the residents who are able to participate. We would recommend this community for families to tour to see if this is the care that they need for a loved one. We felt like they did not always have a lot of staff that are needed.

A good experience

The staff have been great with mom. The marketing director was great and answered all of our questions. The grounds are nice. They have a pathway, gazebo and a pretty lake in the back. There is an interior garden with butterflies and hummingbirds. They create a good ambience. They have a lot of things she enjoys and they include her in different activities. I would recommend this community.

My forever home

I will come back and edit my review after a few months. I will be moving in the first of September, but so far my experience has been stellar. Sales staff are knowledgeable, make themselves available, and have worked with me to place me in the unit of my choice.
I have eaten a few meals here, and have found them very nice but a little too sedate for my palate.
Grounds are well-maintained parking adequate, and plenty of planned activities.
One of the best offerings you are able to bring you pet, which was at the top of my must have list. Winston the dog has visited several times and walked the path with me.
I am certain I have made the best choice for me as I move away to a more leisurely and care free life style.

Mom's New Home for Care

We like the care that we are getting from this community. The staff were very nice and have been helpful. The community is clean and we like that she is now happy with the care that she is receiving. The menu is appealing. The activities are offered for her to participate. We would recommend this community for the care of a loved one.

Brookdale southside

The staff and residents are very welcoming. The apartment is very comfortable...the food is quite good. It just takes time to adjust to new surroundings.

Getting Settled

For the most part I'am satisfied with my move to this community. I'am still getting settled, but this is a nice community. They have nice staff, and they have been welcoming. They do a good job with the cleanliness. I do feel I will become more comfortable with some more time.

Great Community!!

I am moving into this community shortly and I am very excited to see what the future holds. The staff have been very helpful on getting me organized for the move as well as welcoming. They let me try one of there meals during my tour and even let me stay the night to make sure I was going to like it. The residents are wonderful and have went out of there way to introduce themselves to me. Overall I am very pleased with what I have experienced.

A tour for care

I toured this community for my mother's care. The staff was nice and helpful to the answers we had on the care that is received. The community is clean and we liked a variety of the meals and the activities that are offered here. Families might want to tour this community for care for a loved one

Beautiful well maintained facility. A lot of walking residents out and about, staff interacted well with residents and knew all their names. Large open facility with a lot of common areas and outside areas. Dining area looked like a restaurant. Apartments clean and bright with full kitchen and washer/ dryer. They have a unique plan where people in need of assistance can actually live independently.

Very nice community and the tour was very helpful.

Amazed With the Engaging and Professional Staff

Everything with mom's well being is going fine by the help of this community. I would recommend this place to someone in need. I see the staff are engaging with my mom and the residents while staying professional. The community is clean and they are making good meals for everyone. It was a better fit for the family and my mom, it is centrally located and convenient.

Very nice!

This community was really nice and I enjoyed the tour. The staff were very helpful and they were knowledgeable as well. We just did not like that the community was so big. Mom would have a rough time.

I love it here!

Everything is going great and I like that they accept pets. I also like that they have live music for us to enjoy. The food is great and I really like going to the dining room and mingling. The community and my room are always clean.

Very Nice Community, Tour Went Well

I really enjoyed my tour of this community. It was a nice experience. The staff was kind, and friendly. The community looked nice. The experience went well, but my mother didn't feel this was the community for them.

Wonderful Place for Independent Living

My mom is very happy with Brookdale Southside. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Everyone has help my mother feel safe and wanted.

Sometimes the wait staff are very slow at dinner time.

I moved my mom into Brookdale Southside about a month ago. Overall the staff has been very helpful, friendly and responsive to my requests and concerns. The facilities are very nice, clean and well maintained. I have two main complaints, however. They do not really have many activities during the day for someone like my mom who likes to stay busy and play games. She participates in just about everything they have to offer but it isn't much. Most days she is in her room and complains to me about boredom.
My other complaint is the handling of the dining room and the dinner arrangements. I moved my mom there hoping she would not have to eat alone but may nights she is seated at a table by herself and no effort is made to find her dining companions. She has gotten so upset on several occasions that she has returned to her room and not eaten at all. Complaints to the staff has not yet resolved this issue.
Overall I would still recommend this facility but feel the issues addressed above need improvement.

Change is hard but worth it.

I did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions, and toured several Independent Living facilities, from Daytona to Georgia before showing my parents Brookdale Southside. In the end I wanted this to be their decision. When Mom walked in, she said it felt like home. Change is hard, and the staff at Brookdale does everything they can to make it easier for both me and my parents. My parents look forward to the events, socializing, and meals provided each day.

Genuinely happy!

The staff here are really great with mom. The residents really have a genuine happy look on there face when you walk down the halls. I feel that if they did not like it here you would be able to notice. The food is good and mom likes the dining experience. We like that they are a little bigger than most communities and that was a big reason why we came here.

Excellence

It's a wonderful community with over expected service at real value !

Could benefit from voluntary programs like faith initiative groups and NGOs visiting with meaningful activities, mainly artistic ...
some dedicated or ear marked fund raiser for a piano and other volunteers... just reach out I'm sure they can be found even large companies have charity program ( not for cash , just stuff )
Musical instruments etc
Aromatherapy (subtle) in common areas help for well being also .

And get a vote from residents on piped in music ( Bach , Vivaldi, Beethoven) for dinner and outside strolls ...
just some suggestions of proven wellbeing methods
Excellence over all my brothe and I are very happy with our fathers arrangements!

The Community Is Helping

My mom enjoys her room as much as she can. The staff are doing a great job, they seem to be attentive and always working. I don't ever see anyone sitting down. The residents seem happy. Outings are available. The staff asked if me if my mom could join but she declined. They really try their best to help my mom with the change.

Excellence

Genuinely loving your calling ; you have exceeded our expectations!
Wonderful solution for senior living!

It's gone downhill

My Mom lives here and has for many years. She has watched the decline in services, especially the food, and the prices go up. When she first moved in when it was [Removed], she loved it. Now that Brookdale has taken over, all this company wants is a profit on the backs of its seniors. If there was another place for her to go, she would. If you're planning to move here, ask lots of questions and look at other places first. It may look good on the surface, but once you're there, you'll see how corporate minded, not people minded, it is. You'll pay lots of money for very little.

Home for mom.

I am very happy with the care for my mom here. The staff is very helpful. They offer food that is very appealing. Alot of great activities Highly Recommended for other families.

An Impressive Visit

I had a tough decision after visiting. They gave me a really good tour and I got to see how beautiful the community is. All the staff were nice to meet. The facility looks clean and lovely. During the tour my guide said she does not eat the food here. Food was an important factor and we ended up not choosing them.

Excited About Our Move

I'am very pleased with our experience so far with this community. It is a beautiful community, everything looks great. We have a beautiful two bedroom villa. This community really makes you feel like you at home. We are very excited about our move to this community. The staff is great, and really make you feel like family.

This property is quiet and secluded with a lake in the center- very scenic. Very large campus and spread out. Good living options with apartments and villas and square footage size. Apartment building is a little old but well maintained. Hallways were a little dark. Staff was very welcoming and friendly. There were staff members with residents throughout our visit.

Ms. [removed] was very helpful before and during our move. Carolyn Arranged and paid for our move. She followed-up to make sure our needs were met, she also introduced us to a Financial advisor who gave us some advice, but shortly after our move it became difficult to contact her due to her
busy schedule. I would recommend Brookdale Southside to anyone who has a need for a lock memory unit.

We liked this place a lot.

We liked this place a lot. It was such a good fit. They worked really well with us, and I appreciated that. Unfortunately circumstances changed, and we didn't get to move in, but I thought it was a very nice place.

Very nice place!

Our experience with Brookdale Southside has been a very positive one! The staff here is friendly, professional, and so accommodating! Our loved one had a lot of special needs and they really went out of their way to work with us to make sure those were met. It's just a very nice place, overall!

A New Home

I cannot say enough positive about Brookdale Southside during my search for a community for my mother. Kathy [removed] we so open and helpful with her guidance. Cathy and Carolyn @ Brookdale could not have been more informative and helpful. I think the thing that I appreciated the most that there was no feeling of pressure. Actions speak louder than words I felt a good feeling of home. We are excited for her move on March 2.

Worst for profit senior living in JAX

On January 7th the residents of Brookdale were told the water supply would be turned off for construction activities on January 10, 2016 at 9:00PM. After the water supply was restored the residents were advised to boil their drinking and food prep water for a minimum of one minute prior to using. Brookdale Southside offered to sell bottled water to the residents for $12.00 but did not stipulate what size the container would be. The "all clear" to use water from the tap was given on January 14, 2015.

My concerns are multiple:
1. This is a private paying community for senior living. Brookdale Southside has seniors in Independent living, assisted living and memory care. Independent living apartments have their own kitchens. 4 days without drinking water is a long time for this age group.

2. This is a community of many levels of understanding and ability to communicate. Not all residents are able to or do go to the mailroom on a daily basis to pick a paper notice from management.

3. $12.00 for water? I purchased my mother several 2.5 gallon jugs from Publix for $2.75 each.

4. This is a population at higher risk for complications from coliform exposure than the average population.

5. Since the water outage and ban on drinking the water was due to construction being performed by Brookdale, Brookdale should have provided the water free of charge to all residents.

6. The dining room used paper plates, plastic utensils and paper cups while the water was being tested for potability. I am sure this was thought to be a convenience for the residents but try cutting a institution cooked pork chop with a plastic knife.

Shame on you Brookdale for not taking the needs of your residents into consideration in this construction. This was more than an inconvenience. It was disrespectful to your residents to charge them for water (which granted they did not have to buy from you at
inflated prices but not all your residents drive or can carry boxes of water) and poor communication on your part to make sure all residents were taken care of.

Respectful Staff

They do not really have anything that can be improved. As far as the positive, we are always greeted with a smile and I hear respectful tones throughout the staff. I am really happy with the place and I feel that they go above and beyond. They treat the residents with dignity and are unobtrusive.

Lovely facility

Things are going very well. It is a lovely facility. Everything is wonderful. There are absolutely no problems with the staff, the care, the food. . .nothing. This is a very nice place and I would recommend it.

Four Stars

There is nothing that immediately comes to my mind about any improvements that need to be made at the Brookdale Southside facility, either with the building itself or with the staff members working there.

A Positive Experience

They have a main dining room and on Sundays they have a brunch, so overall the food is very, very good. It's an independent living so they can get out and go do activities. Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. It has been a positive experience.

food is not good

Overall I am pleased with Brookdale Southside. His only complaint is that the food is not good at this facility. Other than that things are going well here. The staff are friendly. The facility is clean. I am satisfied with this facility.

Excellent in every way, shape or form

It has been an excellent in every way shape or form. The customer service, the food, the employees and the residents are wonderful. I would love the opportunity to direct more people to this facility. My client really enjoys every aspect of this community.

Very Personable and Helpful

They are very personable and very helpful in making the transition for my loved one. I gave them high ratings on all the categories, and a three for Activities, only because I do not know much about them.

Pleasant Environment

I really like how they had a simple, straight-forward financial arrangement, which is what we needed. The residents are friendly and willing to speak to us. They have a very nice dining experience. It is a pleasant environment to be in and I feel very comfortable going there.

Happy!

Absolutely love this community for my dad! He was so lonely at home, and now he has a busy schedule everyday. He has made lots of friends in the Independent living side. The food is definitely improving now that there's a new director. They just updated the whole place, new carpets, painting, fixtures, etc. Looks great! He has a regular apartment with washer/dryer/dishwasher. Their apartments are larger than others I've seen. The campus is large but my dad figured out his way around after a week or two. It's not home but it's the best next option. Now he says he feels likes he has a life again. The staff are friendly and efficient. Plus, it makes me happy to know that there's round the clock staff there, and he can add on medical care in his apt if he needs to later. Sure, this place is more expensive than others, but you get what you pay in jax! And this place is worth it.

I highly recommend Brookdale

Carriage Club (Now Brookdale Southside) has helped me through an unbelievably difficult situation with my father. I am extremely grateful to Carolyn in the Marketing department not only for her expert marketing skills, but also her abilities with family intervention and transition aspects of this change. I cannot say enough good about them and would recommend them highly to the 1000+ constituents in the congregation where I preach.

Review of Carriage Club of Jacksonville Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Jacksonville, FL

Staff was friendly and very informative. We got to see what a typical day would look like at CC.

Carriage Club Jacksonville FL

This was a difficult decision to make. Thanks to Kathy Accurso at A Place for Mom and Karen Caruthers at Carriage Club the decision was made easier.

It's only been a week for her,so far so good.

One large asset for CC is the activities coordinator, Kari.
She is full of life and appears to have the well being of all of the residents as her main priority.

Very satisfied

They are a very clean community. The staff is very caring and friendly. The activities could be a little bit better than they are. There has always been enough parking. They’re a good value for the money. We were satisfied with the care services offered.

Mom has adjusted well & enjoys the ac...

Mom has adjusted well & enjoys the activities & interaction with others.

Among top two choices. Will...

Among top two choices. Will revisit with M.

They're very good.

They're very good. She likes some meals and some meals she doesn't. So far it's a pretty good experience. The location and reviews were good which is why we chose this over others we saw.

Absolutely Huge

It's owned by the same people that own The Atrium. It's larger and much more spread out. They have a lot more land. Independent living is in condos and town homes, and it's across a lake from the assisted living building. It reminds me of a very large apartment complex. They have a bank inside the community. There's a CVS pharmacy inside the community. It's a very, very large place, and newer. My father is one who has to live there, and he didn't think that he could get around very easily without a motorized power chair, and he didn't like that. Apartments were new but very small. Staff was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Food isn't Great

I moved father in there and we are not one hundred percent satisfied. The food isn't good. I agree with him! He does some activities. He does bridge. They have a pool but they only offer swimming one day a week. They've already closed that and it is disappointing.

Physical structure is not good. It is a quarter mile to the dining room. I liked the other place but he wanted to keep his dog. He is on the corner so he can take the dog outside. They wouldn't let him walk the dog through the building. The kitchen is not updated. There are 80's cabinets in the kitchen.

More expensive - he got a "deal" for $2900 then will go up to $3800 after 18 months. He has a two bedroom. He gets a maid once a week in independent living but that is it.

Lovely

It's a huge, lovely place but they didn't have their memory care ready when we were looking at it. I didn't really see people out enjoying all the amenities.

Problems with corporate management

She absolutely loves the people there but she's getting very frustrated with brookdale, things like what we were told when we came in about rehab being there and costing the same and she gets a bill from rehab for the SAME issues she was working on for for over $40 and they charged her 400. Things like that, she can't get her haircut because she has to tack on a carriage club fee, she doesn't have a lot fo money, some of those people there have more money than they know what to do with. She takes care of herself, she's in the independent living part, she fell, went to rehab and the stuff that's on the bill didn't happen. But that's the biggest concern and they had issues in the past with stealing but they caught the guy. She's loving the friends shes made but those little things... she understands updates with the kitchens but when it hits her pocket book its not okay. She loves the staff, and loves her neighbors and the facility and is having a great time as far as social activities but I guess it's the beaurocracy of the corporation that's running it. No place is perfect and to think that every place is perfect is just not realistic

Under Construction

Everyone was nice and it seemed good. It was under construction so it was hard to tell. We picked another place for the location and the price.

Brookdale Southside offers independent living, assisted living and memory care options for seniors in Jacksonville, Florida. We are just minutes away from St. Johns River and many shops and restaurants.

At Brookdale Southside, residents enjoy retirement in a community that makes socializing, staying fit and staying active, easy and convenient. Relax with a good book in our library, play a game of shuffle board with friends outside on our court, or admire our lovely duck pond from our gazebo: at Brookdale Southside there is something for everyone to enjoy. We offer a variety of programs and activities, including:

Wii sports
Water aerobics
Massage
Cooking class

Our community has nine different floor plans for residents to choose from, ranging from studio to villa options.

Our staff members are fully committed to providing the best care to our residents and go above and beyond daily. We create personalized care plans with each of our residents to ensure we are taking care of all their needs. As needs change, we are there with constant support and care. Families and residents can rest assured knowing at Brookdale Southside trained staff member are available at all hours of the day.